Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I got to hear him perform the entirety of Calling All Dawns and that "suite from my upcoming album about birds" with the NY Phil a few months ago. Was totally worth it. Would recommend if you're in a city where he's performing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More Well of Souls info:

* Cities don't have to be built on the coast to build a harbor - as long as you can get the districts out there, any city can build a harbor. Doing so doesn't appear to let an inland city build naval units, but it allows access to sea trade routes.

* Spaceport confirmed as unique city district required for the science victory. Taking out a civ's spaceport "will set back a civilization's space program significantly, but not stop it entirely."

* Sphinxes are a unique tile improvement for Egypt and add culture and faith.

* New Eurekas:

Iron Working: Build an Iron Mine.
Cartography: Build 2 Harbors
Currency: Establish a Trade Route.
Industrialization: Build 3 Workshops.

* New Inspirations:

Craftsmanship: Improve 3 tiles
Drama and Poetry: Build a wonder.
Feudalism: Build 6 Farms
Games and Recreation: Research the Construction technology
Nationalism: Declare war using a casus belli.

* New economic policies:

God King: +1 Faith and +1 Gold in the Capital.
Insulae (Games and Recreation): +1 Housing in all cities with at least 2 specialty districts.

* New unit: Quadrireme. Ancient-era naval ranged unit.

* Rice is a food bonus, unsurprisingly.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

sarmhan posted:

Good news everyone! Christopher Tin is back.

If you haven't listened/bought the Offworld Trading Company OST, it's pretty good. He channels a little bit of Philip Glass.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cythereal posted:

* Cities don't have to be built on the coast to build a harbor - as long as you can get the districts out there, any city can build a harbor. Doing so doesn't appear to let an inland city build naval units, but it allows access to sea trade routes.

This is pretty notable, and new for a Civ game. I always hated that being slightly away from the sea meant that all your sea tiles were worthless forever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of surprised that you still need to settle on the ocean if you want to build naval units, though. What with other military units being built (or appearing, anyway) at the encampment district, it seems natural that naval units would be built/appear at the harbor.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm kind of surprised that you still need to settle on the ocean if you want to build naval units, though. What with other military units being built (or appearing, anyway) at the encampment district, it seems natural that naval units would be built/appear at the harbor.

I can sort of see a balance case being made for that in that if you want to project power in the sea, you need to be vulnerable to attack from the sea at the same time.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not sure what I was expecting but I am disappointed by the eurekas from how I understand it. I feel like it will cause me to base too many build and improvement decisions on that factor almost always.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I can sort of see a balance case being made for that in that if you want to project power in the sea, you need to be vulnerable to attack from the sea at the same time.

Yeah, I guess, but it still bugs me to think that a civilization can be effectively landlocked as far as projecting naval power is concerned, even if they have plenty of coastline in their borders. Is it not enough, vulnerability-wise, that players be able to destroy each others' harbors and have ocean-based bombardment units? Especially considering how powerful ocean units tend to be in comparison to land units (having higher combat power, movement speed, etc.), having a galleon or battleship follow your army to snipe enemy land units and help destroy districts would be quite helpful, even if it can't itself capture any cities.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Not sure what I was expecting but I am disappointed by the eurekas from how I understand it. I feel like it will cause me to base too many build and improvement decisions on that factor almost always.

You will just have to see what the opportunity cost will be. "Build three workshops" doesn't mean anything until we know how much each workshop costs, what bonus they provide (other that the eureka one), how much other same-era buildings cost, and of course what they offer, both in normal per-turn bonuses and their own eurekas.

For me, I think that the most likely way this system will affect my playstyle will be that I will delay researching technologies if I know that I have a chance to complete their eureka requirements in my normal build sequence.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I guess, but it still bugs me to think that a civilization can be effectively landlocked as far as projecting naval power is concerned, even if they have plenty of coastline in their borders. Is it not enough, vulnerability-wise, that players be able to destroy each others' harbors and have ocean-based bombardment units? Especially considering how powerful ocean units tend to be in comparison to land units (having higher combat power, movement speed, etc.), having a galleon or battleship follow your army to snipe enemy land units and help destroy districts would be quite helpful, even if it can't itself capture any cities.

Yeah, even though I voiced that argument I don't really love it. It'll be particularly bad when the AI basically plops its cities down at random, or starts with room for a single city and doesn't put it on the coast.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here exactly. The new system is that a city up to three hexes away from the ocean can build a harbor now. That city will be able to build naval units, and those naval units will spawn at that city's harbor. Is the way you understand the mechanic as well, or was there another point you were trying to make?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here exactly. The new system is that a city up to three hexes away from the ocean can build a harbor now. That city will be able to build naval units, and those naval units will spawn at that city's harbor. Is the way you understand the mechanic as well, or was there another point you were trying to make?

Your understanding is how I thought it would work, but:

Cythereal posted:

More Well of Souls info:

This is what I was reacting to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm just going by Well of Souls, which confirmed inland cities can build harbors to allow access to sea trade routes, but it didn't say anything about whether or not inland cities could build naval units.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This line basically means that other cities can't build naval units and have them spawn in that harbor. But if you have a city that is not on the a coast, it can still build naval units using its own harbor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do you think we'll ever get Italy?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Which leader of Italy would you want?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I'm just going by Well of Souls, which confirmed inland cities can build harbors to allow access to sea trade routes, but it didn't say anything about whether or not inland cities could build naval units.

That's just a misleadingly phrased sentence. Here, I'll dispel this pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/jye2b1DNOsI?t=8m40s

Watch until 10:15. Cities with harbors can build naval units.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Gort posted:

Pope Urban II

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Kurtofan posted:

I doubt it, just because Rome will always be in.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Since we got Venice in 5 I could see them doing another Italian City-State sometime, but a unified Italy seems unlikely, especially with Rome around.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

That's just a misleadingly phrased sentence. Here, I'll dispel this pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/jye2b1DNOsI?t=8m40s

Watch until 10:15. Cities with harbors can build naval units.

Rewatching this might've answered the question I was about to ask, which is : can you build units concurrently in your city and harbor and encampment, or do you only ever get one build queue and the various districts just act like rallying points? I don't think it's been mentioned explicitly whether you can or not, but in that video Ed does say you can build ships either in your city or the harbor but presumably not both at the same time.

I wonder if you can build buildings in your city and units in a district at the same time? I can see pros and cons for both methods but I'm going to assume you only ever get one build queue because that's the simplest way to handle what could be a confusing game element.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kalko posted:

Rewatching this might've answered the question I was about to ask, which is : can you build units concurrently in your city and harbor and encampment, or do you only ever get one build queue and the various districts just act like rallying points? I don't think it's been mentioned explicitly whether you can or not, but in that video Ed does say you can build ships either in your city or the harbor but presumably not both at the same time.

I wonder if you can build buildings in your city and units in a district at the same time? I can see pros and cons for both methods but I'm going to assume you only ever get one build queue because that's the simplest way to handle what could be a confusing game element.

Almost 100 percent chance that you only get one queue. Military units just spawn in a harbor or encampment instead of the city center if you have them. Encampment or harbors would be way too overpowered if you got two queues, and like you suggested, it would get too complicated for little reward to let you split your production between two queues.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If I set up a trade route and the next turn start researching currency, do I get the eurika immediately or do I need to set up another route?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as I've read, you'd already have the Eureka without directing your research to Currency. That or it'd store the objective as complete to be applied as soon as it's relevant. Either way, it's not something you have to worry about doing during research.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I would hope so, having to do it any other way would be asinine. Plus, stuff you do normally would boost the relevant research, so it'd work out well I think

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man the other way would be terrible. Make another city on the coast? Just during the window that I'm researching sailing?

Yeah, it's gotta apply the bonuses for stuff you did before you started the tech.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They've confirmed that they are based on total lifetime progress, not just since starting the tech/unlocking it on the tree.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At first "build 3 workshops" sounded like a weirdly easy Eureka, but I suppose before you build those workshops, you need the dedicated Industral districts to house them (as opposed to any of the other 12), and the population to support those districts...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Giuseppe Garibaldi would be the obvious choice.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Theodoric the Great :getin:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Vittorio Emmanuel II would seem more likely to me, as the actual first ruler of the unified Italian Kingdom. Lorenzo de Medici would work if they want to go for a "Gajah Mada of Indonesia" thing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Niccolò Machiavelli. :colbert:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tarquinn posted:

Niccolò Machiavelli. :colbert:

Okay. I want Italy now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I mean there's Byzantium and Ottoman, Italy just seems like a good idea.It feels like the last major "modern" European civ they haven't done yet.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If this poster in the background is in alphabetical order by civilization name(which appears to be the case), then civfanatics is on course to deduce 100% of the 18 initial civs and first 4 DLC civs within the next couple of days.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There's gonna be a cat Civ?!?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems to be in alphabetical order, for those trying to figure out.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't read the post enough. I see Augustus for Rome, Peter I for Russia, Pedro I for Brazil maybe. Will check a bit more when I'm home.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 12, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

The Pridelands.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jay Rust posted:

Civ 6 and Master of Orion crossover confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pretty sure that's Gandhi there.

Ah well.