Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

I feel like they think they're doing something nice for the fans when they do that, but it's really only nice for those few shameless attention seekers. For all of us, it just makes the show worse.

I think Dan does it just to take the pressure off thinking of new material. But boy did that discussion sound like the lunch room in my software development company. I just started subscribing to watch it. Has anyone literally just rushed the stage like that Molly girl did before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wank posted:

I think Dan does it just to take the pressure off thinking of new material. But boy did that discussion sound like the lunch room in my software development company. I just started subscribing to watch it. Has anyone literally just rushed the stage like that Molly girl did before?

Two words: Adam Goldberg.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

prefect posted:

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

prefect posted:

Ah. I think I missed peak Goldberg years...

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

He'd rush the stage so fast even the camera man didn't have time to react
http://i.imgur.com/5sLIBGM.gifv

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wank posted:

Ah. I think I missed peak Goldberg years...

He was wacky, but there were a few occasions where he was completely on target with an opinion or a fact, and I was glad to have him then.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

prefect posted:

He was wacky, but there were a few occasions where he was completely on target with an opinion or a fact, and I was glad to have him then.

honestly goldberg isn't the hero was need but he is the hero we deserve.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If you guys keep talking about him you'll end up summoning him

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wank posted:

Jeff was the one inviting people up, but that Molly girl came up because they inadvertently told people to come up (in a way that attention seekers would think was an invitation).

I didn't mind it at first, but the end bit just didn't work because the guys didn't understand what was funny to Dan about them talking to each other. I would've been fine with less audience members, but it was still good. It was basically a town hall meeting episode. I would've preferred a Goldberg, at least he had an agenda/opinion when he'd storm the stage.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zsinjeh posted:

You are really going to hate this episode. Even if you're fine with audience guests, this one will drain you

This thread is crawling with Nidoran!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CPColin posted:

Spencer is truly the advanced internet user we need and want.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The episode where Dan roleplayed as Satan and Spencer played God was a little too on the nose, in retrospect.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, Jeff's childhood escapades near the start of the pod are kind of terrifying

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BB2K posted:

Holy poo poo, Jeff's childhood escapades near the start of the pod are kind of terrifying

When I was a kid, we made homemade napalm. Kids these days have it too safe. :arghfist::corsair:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
We used to fill these small, long pipes with hairspray, dare eachother to look into one end and light the other end on fire. One time a kid lost his eyebrows and we all laughed.

Also yes, we definitely had kids in like fifth grade who brought their replica guns to school.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
This week's episode title is not promising...

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
woof, that first guy who comes on stage, who doesn't have any jokes but feels that he has to make up for it by reacting to everything is a strong contender for Most Annoying Audience Member That Gets To Talk 2016. And then Fake Accent Guy starts talking and Dan makes the two of them do improv.

This was just a typical middling Harmontown episode but holy balls, that last hour was rough.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Even if you're fine with audience guests, this one will drain you

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jesus Christ, I hear enough about loving Pokemon everywhere I go, I don't need it on Harmontown, too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

Jesus Christ, I hear enough about loving Pokemon everywhere I go, I don't need it on Harmontown, too.

Ugh, I too hate things that people like! Where do I sign up for the hipster newsletter to know when I should start hating things?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Ugh, I too hate things that people like! Where do I sign up for the hipster newsletter to know when I should start hating things?

I'm pretty Pokemon-neutral, it's just that everyone everywhere won't shut up about it. Even in my Slack channels at work it's all they'll talk about.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

woof, that first guy who comes on stage, who doesn't have any jokes but feels that he has to make up for it by reacting to everything is a strong contender for Most Annoying Audience Member That Gets To Talk 2016. And then Fake Accent Guy starts talking and Dan makes the two of them do improv.

This was just a typical middling Harmontown episode but holy balls, that last hour was rough.

I paused it when the second guy came up, good move I guess?

Anyway, that first free ep of Harmonquest was pretty great. I guess I might finally drop the 5 bucks for a Seeso subscription. There's a bunch of stuff on there I want to see now.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
The only saving part of the last hour is hearing Dan's desperation at making the two guys try to improv and failing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

On Youtube now, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuqqHGpRDE

I think the camera pointing at Erin is using the wrong aspect ratio.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

CPColin posted:

On Youtube now, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuqqHGpRDE

I think the camera pointing at Erin is using the wrong aspect ratio.

Oh, thanks for linking that. I love that the more that content moves to the web the harder it is to get in non-US countries.

Spencer! :3: He looks so happy and excited.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://twitter.com/nikscarr/status/753543803798106112

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Harmonquest is pretty good. Really picks up at the Aubrey Plaza episode and on to the end. You can just do a seven-day Seeso trial on Amazon and immediately cancel it too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PostNouveau posted:

Harmonquest is pretty good. Really picks up at the Aubrey Plaza episode and on to the end. You can just do a seven-day Seeso trial on Amazon and immediately cancel it too.

I've only seen the first episode, but it was excellent, and I'm going to check out the rest. I think I would like it even more if they didn't occasionally cut back to the real people on stage -- I think it's funnier when their characters are having the weird meta-discussions about their own existence.

And I keep expecting Dan to be a wizard, but he's not Sharpie Buttsalot here.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

prefect posted:

I've only seen the first episode, but it was excellent, and I'm going to check out the rest. I think I would like it even more if they didn't occasionally cut back to the real people on stage -- I think it's funnier when their characters are having the weird meta-discussions about their own existence.

There were many moments where they absolutely had to cut back to them to make a joke land or something though.

You need to see the group sometimes to notice Jeff touching the guests a lot. It's clearly a thing he does to just try to put them at ease and build rapport, and he seems to do it to everyone, but the female guests were.. not appreciative.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I really like how Jeff is now experienced enough at DnD to know the first encounter was invariably going to be railroaded for the sake of the plot, so he spent the entire time goofing around for fun. He's a great showman.

But also a bit of a creep.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I wonder if there's going to be a second season.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a second season.

There better be! I want to see them rescue Boneweevil!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Does the divorce happen during the Harmonquest season, or was that after they'd finished filming?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

Does the divorce happen during the Harmonquest season, or was that after they'd finished filming?

It was shot before the divorce but after Erin returned from her post-wedding Ireland trip.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
There was literally a guy who made up his own accent based on what he thought sounded cool, and he goes around talking like that in his daily life.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmonquest reminds me of how good Harmontown can be when it's just the main crew playing with Spencer and goofing over bringing up worthless brokebrains who desperately want attention to whine about their brokebrains, or dwelling on Dan being a pretentious know-nothing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toxxupation posted:

Harmonquest reminds me of how good Harmontown can be when it's just the main crew playing with Spencer and goofing over bringing up worthless brokebrains who desperately want attention to whine about their brokebrains, or dwelling on Dan being a pretentious know-nothing.

Dan's pretentious know-nothingness can be fantastic, though. Remember that the First Agreement is "we are all made of light".

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

prefect posted:

Dan's pretentious know-nothingness can be fantastic, though. Remember that the First Agreement is "we are all made of light".

Dan's pretentiousness is only fantastic when Jeff or Rob or someone else shoots it down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SoupyTwist posted:

Dan's pretentiousness is only fantastic when Jeff or Rob or someone else shoots it down though.

I'm listening to 151 again (http://www.harmontown.com/2015/06/episode-151-row-row-row-your-boat/), and it's so much fun when they fight. :allears: