Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
This showed up on Prime Day deals and I had to share.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Restraint Key posted:

Needless to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

https://www.screenconnect.com/

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

pixaal posted:

VPN and RDP, you should not be using LogMeIn on a server.

To add to this, you shouldn't be using an ISP generated email address for anything, like ever. ISP's go like the wind. Use your company email address for company things.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

A call came in.

I get a call from the Residence Life staff this morning saying their computer won't come on after a storm yesterday. I told them I'd be over there in just a few minutes because I have a few things to catch up on. They proceed to tell me how important it is cause they're really busy. Yeah, ok.

I get over there and they're on the computer. It is running just fine. I ask them what happened.

:downs: "Oh, the maintenance man came in and kicked it and it started working."
:what: "He kicked it?"
:downs: "Yeah"
:what: "He came over here and physically struck the computer with his foot?"
:downs: "He went in the back and then came out and laid his hands on it."
:what: "Stop talking like that and tell me what he did!"
:downs: "He fixed it."

:suicide:

Apparently the maintenance guy reset a tripped breaker. Mystery loving solved.

Ignoring all calls from that department for the rest of the day. They've called four times since I started writing this.

This makes it sound like the maintenance guy came in, saw the computer wasn't working, tapped it with his foot, saw that it still wasn't working, went in the back, flipped the breaker, came back, put his hands on the computer and did the "I'm channeling spirits" face, told the person to turn on the computer, and then walked out like he was loving Gandalf.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Gerdalti posted:

To add to this, you shouldn't be using an ISP generated email address for anything, like ever. ISP's go like the wind. Use your company email address for company things.

To clarify, I used LogMeIn to get to my workstation, from there I RDP to the server, and my LogMeIn account is/was a personal account (used to be free, kept it and went Pro when they removed the free option), not connected to my employer.

I work for a not-for-profit, we don't exactly have a lot of resources at our disposal.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

This makes it sound like the maintenance guy came in, saw the computer wasn't working, tapped it with his foot, saw that it still wasn't working, went in the back, flipped the breaker, came back, put his hands on the computer and did the "I'm channeling spirits" face, told the person to turn on the computer, and then walked out like he was loving Gandalf.

I'm going to go with "user turned off the surge protector with their foot."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
'It needed a boot'

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Restraint Key posted:

To clarify, I used LogMeIn to get to my workstation, from there I RDP to the server, and my LogMeIn account is/was a personal account (used to be free, kept it and went Pro when they removed the free option), not connected to my employer.

I work for a not-for-profit, we don't exactly have a lot of resources at our disposal.

Raspberry Pi running OpenVPN. You can even run the commercial version which is decently priced (or "free for testing" for two concurrent users), it's stupid easy to set up. Otherwise you can just use the community version and just run through a tutorial to configure it.

Whatever you do just use Let's Encrypt for certs for cheapness sake.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

neogeo0823 posted:

It's Mississippi, you can go to some towns there with a flashlight and a weather radio and be mistaken for a god.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pixaal posted:

VPN and RDP, you should not be using LogMeIn on a server.

Agreed. The fuckup is you OP.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Read more? He said he LogMeIn to his desktop then used RDP.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gilok posted:

It's Mississippi, you can go to some towns there with a flashlight and a weather radio and be mistaken for a god.

Right before they burn you at the stake for not being the One True God™

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Still.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I couldn't figure out why my external webcam wasn't working during the meeting this mornig.

I plugged the usb cord into the ethernet jack

why did they make them fit so perfectly????? http://thingsfittingperfectlyintothings.tumblr.com/

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 12, 2016

mewse
May 2, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I plugged the usb cord into the ethernet jack

I had a user do that with a postage device. She needed to plug in a little USB modem dongle because there's no internet on their LAN. We paid the mileage for a tech to do a site visit *sigh*

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Read more? That's bad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Read more? That's bad.

Reading is for

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

anthonypants posted:

Read more? That's bad.

Shrug, I use AnyDesk.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Shrug, I use AnyDesk.
If your work desktop has a publicly routable IP then you're doing something wrong.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Heh, scrubs. I just forward traffic from any source on ports 3389, 22, 23, 80, and 443 directly to a PC with no firewall, no anti-virus, and an ANY ANY ACL rule on all routers / switches. Using my domain admin account Admin (password admin so I don't forget), I have sooooo many ways I could remote in that I never have to worry about being locked out of the network.

e;

anthonypants posted:

If your work desktop has a publicly routable IP then you're doing something wrong.

guys can we all be adults and not devolve into another SHSC debate about ipv6?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

guys can we all be adults and not devolve into another SHSC debate about ipv6?
heyoooooo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Restraint Key posted:

Needless to say I am in the market for a new remote access solution. What do you folks use these days?

Log me in and poo poo like that is for supporting clients in the field. VPN is the tunnel to your work network.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rhymenoserous posted:

Log me in and poo poo like that is for supporting clients in the field. VPN is the tunnel to your work network.
Considering he was using the LogMeIn account tied to his home ISP, I don't even think it was a work-approved solution.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
To be fair he did say this was an NPO, which is the Wild Wild West of getting effective technology implemented. That said, VPN is 100% the way to go obviously.

At least he's not using TeamViewer. :shrug:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well you cant have sound devices on Servers you only connect to via RDP so RDP sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any remote assistance tool that blasts a hole through a firewall to a vendor's server and just sits there until somebody connects without prompting the user at the local machine is just asking for trouble. If you're connecting to work then VPN (with two factor auth) and RDP/SSH/whatever. For remote assistance the Quick Assist thing that MS are previewing in Windows 10 looks good.

Our telephony team drop desktop PC 'servers' onto customer networks, leave them unpatched for five years, with TeamViewer running. When I found out I moved that poo poo onto its own subnet and firewalled it off from anything important, because god drat.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Kill your telephony team and/or do the unthinkable: sic security compliance on them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ahh Comcast... apparently their Small/Medium business phone service is out mostly nation wide. Even many of their own call centers are affected.

Our one store location with Comcast phone hasn't had service for 2 hours now.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
A ticket came in, and it felt SO GOOD.

I work the helpdesk for a community college, 12-8am shift. I don't get calls because:
1) Most of the support we do is for faculty while on campus, classes end at 10pm and start at 8am.
2) No student at a CC is going to be up at 2am doing online coursework, and even if they do run into issues they'll just email their instructor and go to sleep.

But this night, at 7am, an instructor called in with a problem with her online class. I was able to diagnose the issue and fix it, and was really nice to actually provide support and do my job for once. Too nice, even. I've tasted the tickets and now I want more.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Now begins my slow descent into a spiraling madness of which the only outcome is my eventual transformation into my once formidable foe.

So, we got a big huge grant to set up distance learning classrooms in low socioeconomic school districts around the state. I was told when I applied for this job that I would be heading up this project, but up until now, I have had nothing at all to do with it.

I asked long ago for an equipment list so I could get an idea of what to expect. I asked several times if they had purchased racks to mount the equipment in. Yes, was the answer I recieved. We have ordered two racks, enough to hold all the equipment.

Good.

The equipment has come in.

No racks.

I asked where the racks were. There's no racks. We didn't order racks. We ordered carts so we could roll the camera setup to different classrooms.

So the company is coming in Monday to install all this equipment and I have nowhere to mount this poo poo. I can't acquire an 18u rack and find a place to put it by Monday.

I have fully allowed the vengeful spirit of CE to control my body. I give up. I went to Lowe's and bought some shelves and now I'm loving off for the day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Now begins my slow descent into a spiraling madness of which the only outcome is my eventual transformation into my once formidable foe.

So, we got a big huge grant to set up distance learning classrooms in low socioeconomic school districts around the state. I was told when I applied for this job that I would be heading up this project, but up until now, I have had nothing at all to do with it.

I asked long ago for an equipment list so I could get an idea of what to expect. I asked several times if they had purchased racks to mount the equipment in. Yes, was the answer I recieved. We have ordered two racks, enough to hold all the equipment.

Good.

No racks.

I asked where the racks were. There's no racks. We didn't order racks. We ordered carts so we could roll the camera setup to different classrooms.

So the company is coming in Monday to install all this equipment and I have nowhere to mount this poo poo. I can't acquire an 18u rack and find a place to put it by Monday.

I have fully allowed the vengeful spirit of CE to control my body. I give up. I went to Lowe's and bought some shelves and now I'm loving off for the day.

Your journey to the dark side is almost complete.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Dude any reliable carrier CDW/SHI etc can get you a set of racks by monday.

EDIT: I mean it will cost you.

Also craigslist. I can go get a barebones rack for a few hundred, a willingness to drive an hour, and the potential of a strange and unexpected sexual encounter.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 12, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Have you ever tried using a schools purchasing department?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pixaal posted:

Have you ever tried using a schools purchasing department?

No thank god, I just net 30 everything and apologize later on in the month.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Rhymenoserous posted:

EDIT: I mean it will cost you.

Also craigslist. I can go get a barebones rack for a few hundred, a willingness to drive an hour, and the potential of a strange and unexpected sexual encounter.

Or, I mean, Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Navepoint-Wa...ywords=18u+rack

Literally the first result for 18U rack in their search. One day shipping for probably somewhere around $12 would get it to you Thursday.

VV what are you, trying to approach this sensibly? That's far too involved to deal with none of your concern.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's more to acquiring a rack to put kit than just buying a rack. Is there a suitable room to put it in? Is the AC in that room good enough? What about the power? Is the floor strong enough? What new cabling needs installing? Is the physical security of the area sufficient. Etc etc etc.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

Good.

No racks.

Oh my god it's happening.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

Good.

No racks.

Wait, how is the equipment supposed to be attached to the carts?

Also where are the carts even what the hell is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

There's more to acquiring a rack to put kit than just buying a rack. Is there a suitable room to put it in? Is the AC in that room good enough? What about the power? Is the floor strong enough? What new cabling needs installing? Is the physical security of the area sufficient. Etc etc etc.

He's about to stack that poo poo on lowes discount shelving. I think we're beyond all that.

• Locked thread