Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Allen Heinberg's last work with comic books have been dreadful. Geoff Johns was partly responsible for Green Lantern. And then there's Zack Snyder.

Nobody should be inspired to hope with those three involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/abouttomholland/status/752650529826746369

https://twitter.com/abouttomholland/status/752658729783418880

https://twitter.com/abouttomholland/status/752583161662562304

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that looks more like a dude on the street doing a prank than spider-----man
which is to say it's perfect

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Allen Heinberg's last work with comic books have been dreadful. Geoff Johns was partly responsible for Green Lantern. And then there's Zack Snyder.

Nobody should be inspired to hope with those three involved.

Counterpoint: Allen Heinberg wrote Young Avengers. Geoff Johns is a producer for the DC TV shows and wrote an amazing Flash run among many other things. And then there's Zack Snyder!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm not digging how prominent those techy webshooters are. They're very distracting.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The ASM2 costume was about as perfect as a screen spiderman costume could be so its a shame its got to be retired for franchise distinction reasons.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spiderman should have natural webshooters like gosh dang god intended

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The fake plating lines on the legs and that not-belt thing is a little goofy but I like how Spider-Man looks in the MCU.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

Well nerds automatically hate it now

Codependent Poster posted:

And then there's Zack Snyder.

Cool, thanks for going the extra mile to make this thread feel super authentic Code P

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My only exposure to Geoff John's writing was Batman: Earth One, which I didn't care for at all. Wonder Woman is probably the DCCU movie I have the highest hopes and expectations for, so here's hoping it's good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Johns is the guy who thought people would like Barry Allen over Wally West right?

Also from the set of Thor Ragnarock
https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/752718948152381442?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ruffalo's got the easiest gig compared to the rest of the cast. No costume to speak of, and barely any involvement in any of the action scenes. Just show up and do some lines like every other acting job.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Basebf555 posted:

Ruffalo's got the easiest gig compared to the rest of the cast. No costume to speak of, and barely any involvement in any of the action scenes. Just show up and do some lines like every other acting job.

Until Age of Ultron Paul Bettany used to have his Marvel stuff knocked out in an afternoon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

That's his secret, Cap. He's always CG.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

achillesforever6 posted:

Johns is the guy who thought people would like Barry Allen over Wally West right?

Also from the set of Thor Ragnarock
https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/752718948152381442?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

People of Johns age probably do.

That's why comics are so goddamn cyclical.

People remember the comics they loved when they were kids, and then want to move the characters status quo back to what it was then.

Like in 10 years or you are gonna have a bunch of comics authors who want to re-marry Peter to Mary, bring back Wally, and have everything back like it was during the 00s.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dexo posted:

People remember the comics they loved when they were kids, and then want to move the characters status quo back to what it was then.

Like in 10 years or you are gonna have a bunch of comics authors who want to re-marry Peter to Mary, bring back Wally, and have everything back like it was during the 00s.

Lol I mean that's basically what's happening right now

The funny thing to me about the Barry Allen "one true Flash" BS is that he wasn't even the original Flash and even more importantly, the Silver Age was such an iconic period in comics because it was everyone trying a bunch of new things without slavishly holding onto the past. Sure they rebooted Flash and Green Lantern but they were two totally new guys who had nothing to do with the previous guys outside of name and powerset. Otherwise they had a bunch of cool modern touches (Barry was a police scientist before the term forensics was even in use and his adventures were full of time travel and parallel dimensions, Hal tested experimental aircraft and became a space police officer dealing with all sorts of crazy aliens). Then of course a short while later the Marvel series started showing up and changing the landscape even further. You can't go back to the Silver Age because it was all about bringing stuff into the (then) modern era. Trying to go back just by revisiting the same old (super white) characters is an even more boring way to do that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dexo posted:

This is why I will never follow or care about continuity in comics and tend to pick and choose works from different eras or stick to one offs and anthologies (like the Black & White series). That way you never really settle on any given version and can enjoy the best of them all without acting like any one of them is sacred.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

achillesforever6 posted:

This is one of the weirdest, nerdiest sideways insults I've ever seen. How DARE that pleb prefer Barry Allen to the One True Flash Wally West as if anybody actually gives a poo poo. He prefers one character over another? gently caress HIM. I think Geoff Johns is a great writer, and if you like DC Comics at all you probably owe most of it to him because he's written a fuckton of storylines. I particularly enjoyed his Green Lantern Rebirth series. I realize he had some kind of input on the Green Lantern movie but I'd be curious as to what it was because basically zero aspects of the Green Lantern he wrote shows up in the movie.

That said I did not like Flashpoint or New 52. Flashpoint was way too ambitious, as they came up with complex new backstories for basically every character ever just for that series, and then completely discards all of that for New 52.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have no opinions about the one true Flash, but Johns is a mediocre writer and anybody who thinks Cyborg and Hal Jordan are the most interesting DC characters has questionable judgement.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is one of the weirdest, nerdiest sideways insults I've ever seen. How DARE that pleb prefer Barry Allen to the One True Flash Wally West as if anybody actually gives a poo poo.

This is ironic because the "One True Flash" idealism is why they brought Barry back, when he had been dead for nearly 30 years and Wally had grown up and taken over and was on the verge of retiring himself for the next generation.

The "anybody (who) actually gives a poo poo" are the people who made that happen - lead by Johns.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh you made a pretty large edit.

For clarification I still like Johns, his Flash run is probably my favorite run in comics and his GL and JSA are both solid. I think after 15 years he burnt out on fresh ideas but then was simultaneously put in a position where he has to architect the entire DCU and write tentpole stories. I think he will do fine on WW where he can focus on his strengths in a smaller, contained story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

This is ironic because the "One True Flash" idealism is why they brought Barry back, when he had been dead for nearly 30 years and Wally had grown up and taken over and was on the verge of retiring himself for the next generation.

The "anybody (who) actually gives a poo poo" are the people who made that happen - lead by Johns.

So? Why do I, the comic book reader, particularly give a gently caress about this? Old characters are brought back all the time. Why would I focus my hatred towards this one in particular? I guess if they made a new Batman and in 20 years I started to talk about how awesome Bruce Wayne was, I would also be in the wrong?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So? Why do I, the comic book reader, particularly give a gently caress about this? Old characters are brought back all the time. Why would I focus my hatred towards this one in particular?

???????

I was responding to the idea that "anybody actually gives a poo poo". If nobody did, they wouldn't have regressed the story 30+ years. They care and they care pretty deeply, since instead of telling new stories they resurrected old characters.

This is why arguing about care levels is so ridiculous. Obviously you care otherwise you wouldn't be arguing with me about it.

EDIT: Hi friend it is hard to argue with you when you keep making edits!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

People want the Super-Friends vs The Legion of Doom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I guess if they made a new Batman and in 20 years I started to talk about how awesome Bruce Wayne was, I would also be in the wrong?

Actually one of my favorite parts about Wally West as a character was his love of Barry. Barry remained a super important character in the Flash mythos, and would even be seen via time travel every few years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

EDIT: Hi friend it is hard to argue with you when you keep making edits!

Sorry stop responding so fast!

I could have certainly phrased it better. I'm not trying to say nobody gives a poo poo (even though thats kinda what I said), I was trying to figure out why anybody would particularly object to Barry Allen coming back, as if he committed some kind of grievous error. Did people do the same thing when The Flash show came out? "NOT WALLY WEST? NOT WATCHIN!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sorry stop responding so fast!

I am sorry I am in a super boring meeting! I feel like that one panel of Quicksilver sitting there with a finished dinner plater while everyone's forks are paused in mid-scoop

I don't mind them using Barry for the TV show or movie although I can't speak for anyone. I think effectively rebooting the universe of the comics largely so that Barry and Hal could be young just starting out heroes was a mistake. I don't even care about unmaking Wally West since I have his entire run and will treasure those stories forever, it just seems like a lot of big decisions for DC in the last several years have been driven by recapturing the exact conditions of certain people's nostalgia. I equally think holding onto Wally West as a sacred character is also lame, just tell good stories and do new things, is my whole thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

I am fairly confident he had some restrictions on the WW script.

Johns is literally DC's Chief Creative Officer. If anyone would be working with no restrictions, it's him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

So, which CineD poster was this?

http://www.avclub.com/article/lapd-investigates-death-threats-sent-critic-who-di-239484

quote:

LAPD investigates death threats sent to a critic who didn’t like Man Of Steel

A critic named Clarke Wolfe had trolls descend on her social media pages earlier this year and threaten to kill over her opinion of Man Of Steel. Yes, the same Man Of Steel that Zack Snyder directed in 2013 and was widely considered to be—at best—fine. People were willing to threaten someone’s life over the “it’s not an S, it’s a symbol that means hope” movie, the “don’t use your superpowers, I’ll just let myself get killed for no reason” movie, and the “Superman just snapped that guy’s neck” movie. Apparently, people are extremely invested in that movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That's awful and all but I keep thinking "wow that's some timely reporting A.V. Club"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think the Spider-Man suit looks good but it's obvious that some of it is going to be overlayed with CGI. I don't understand why ,but still they kept the white eyes so I am happy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fox cancels its 1960s Hellfire Club TV show and orders a new pilot about a couple trying to protect their mutant children from the government with the help of an underground mutant group. Matt Nix of Burn Notice fame is the showrunner.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26440/fox_makes_put_pilot_commitment_for_new_marvel_action-adventure_series

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 13, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

That's awful and all but I keep thinking "wow that's some timely reporting A.V. Club"

Well, the death threats they're reporting about happened earlier this year. So, yeah, the movie came out over three years ago, but crazy idiots are still threatening this critic with death over it even now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

So? Why do I, the comic book reader, particularly give a gently caress about this? Old characters are brought back all the time. Why would I focus my hatred towards this one in particular? I guess if they made a new Batman and in 20 years I started to talk about how awesome Bruce Wayne was, I would also be in the wrong?
Wally was more interesting than Barry ever was, and Barry had a really, really, really amazing death. Honestly the only truly good part of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

90s to early 2000s DC was interesting because they actually were playing around with legacy in a way that felt meaningful. Obviously the big three would never change, but everything else was on the table.

It's fine to like Hal and Barry, but their returns didn't make the comics more interesting and they destroyed the thing that really gave DC a sense of identity.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Well, the death threats they're reporting about happened earlier this year. So, yeah, the movie came out over three years ago, but crazy idiots are still threatening this critic with death over it even now.

Yeah I saw that but back in April, and there hasn't really been an update to justify reporting on it this week. It basically seems like this dude was rooting around for more poo poo to talk about MoS and found this thing that happened 3 months ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I saw that but back in April, and there hasn't really been an update to justify reporting on it this week. It basically seems like this dude was rooting around for more poo poo to talk about MoS and found this thing that happened 3 months ago.

The threats were 3 months ago, but the warrent was issued this month.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Margot Robbie undergoes therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t228nErxUA

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
VIRAL
VIDEO
HD

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda hope they're taking the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" line out of the actual movie, cause it's so overexposed from the marketing that I can only image the most uncomfortable silence when it comes up on the big screen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted:

I kinda hope they're taking the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" line out of the actual movie, cause it's so overexposed from the marketing that I can only image the most uncomfortable silence when it comes up on the big screen now.

Whoever edited Ghostbusters 2016 really cut back on some of the gags that were pushed in the trailers so here's hopin'.

• Locked thread