Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

I want a trailer but 8th gen civic si's make negative torque values

You can still manage a harbor freight trailer and a bike or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

You can still manage a harbor freight trailer and a bike or two.

The owners guide is like "towing, lol no"

But I'm sure people tow bikes without trouble. My car is on the original clutch at 150k on a notoriously fragile gearbox, so I'm not sure I want to tempt fate.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Plus, a Ranger is probably cheaper than a Civic's gearbox.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Are rangers better than the japanese counterparts? 2wd early model Tacomas, Nissan Hardbodies and the like?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

EX250 Type R posted:

I hear you slavvy, I did about 300 miles round trip yesterday @ 12.5 miles per gallon on the optimistic side of estimates

at least with truck ownership only my wallet gets raped though

Jesus. My F150 gets 16mpg and I spend most of that idling in traffic on my 2 hr commute.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

A MIRACLE posted:

Are rangers better than the japanese counterparts? 2wd early model Tacomas, Nissan Hardbodies and the like?

No, mostly they are just cheaper and more abundant.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A MIRACLE posted:

God no.

I think basically every person I know who has had a Ranger got a Tacoma eventually because gently caress Rangers. I have a Ranger and am trying to get a Tacoma.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Daily driven Rangers aren't the greatest thing in the world, but as a spare fuckaround vehicle they are pretty great. My 2.5 was the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Plus, a Ranger is probably cheaper than a Civic's gearbox.

This is most certainly true. But insuring 2 vehicles sucks, so conundrum

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

I want a trailer but 8th gen civic si's make negative torque values

I'm putting a hitch on mine this friday, rip

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

Daily driven Rangers aren't the greatest thing in the world, but as a spare fuckaround vehicle they are pretty great. My 2.5 was the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

I think the real problem lies in quality control in Ford plants in the 90s. Also in Ford front ends, at least the 4wd ones.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I don't want to do it, it's just that owning a white transit means I can't not rape.

Funny, vans do different things in different parts of the world. I hired one to help my niece move house and within ten minutes of driving it I'd put on three stone and developed very definite opinions about immigration and where cyclists can stick their cycle lanes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

The owners guide is like "towing, lol no"

But I'm sure people tow bikes without trouble. My car is on the original clutch at 150k on a notoriously fragile gearbox, so I'm not sure I want to tempt fate.

My GTI has 16k miles on it, almost all of them with 300whp. Known weak clutch. I'm waiting to kill mine so I can put something better in it and drop the Golf-R turbo in... towing just helps me do this sooner. :getin:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

M42 posted:

I'm putting a hitch on mine this friday, rip

Let me know how that goes! Is yours as old and busted as mine?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Probably not, 08 with low miles but auto. We'll see if it needs a cooler or not. It should just be able to handle the uhaul bike trailer + bike. Will keep ya updated, but my trackday peeps all say it should be fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The uhaul bike trailer is not light at all, it's a loving monster... I could feel it behind my Dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's different sizes of it. There's a huge one that holds 3, and one for just 1 bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Okay.... ;)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay, so I might have a chance of picking up a 2006 Suzuki Gs500f for basically no cost at all, and it has nothing wrong with it. I used to ride a Hyosung and I loved the aggressive sports bike riding position. However, on the Suzuki, I sit painfully upright. What are my quick options for lowering the gently caress out of those handlebars?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Flip them over. :rolleye:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Vahakyla posted:

Okay, so I might have a chance of picking up a 2006 Suzuki Gs500f for basically no cost at all, and it has nothing wrong with it. I used to ride a Hyosung and I loved the aggressive sports bike riding position. However, on the Suzuki, I sit painfully upright. What are my quick options for lowering the gently caress out of those handlebars?

trade it for a different bike or get used to a standard position

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get the tiny harbor freight 4x4 trailer or whatever and throw a dirtbike rail on it. I towed one behind a BP swapped festiva, and later a mercedes wagon.

Slavvy posted:

All of you impractical weirdos need vans instead of your silly giant pickups with their beds smaller than a hilux.

I tried D:. Dude flaked on me twice after driving 2 hours one way!

This fucker gets 3mpg better than the bus, and costs about 1/4 to fill. :v.

46" deck height is a little sketchy though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

There's different sizes of it. There's a huge one that holds 3, and one for just 1 bike.

Protip: the enclosed U-Haul trailers are lighter than the open ones.

Those open utility trailers are comically heavy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Get the tiny harbor freight 4x4 trailer or whatever and throw a dirtbike rail on it. I towed one behind a BP swapped festiva, and later a mercedes wagon.

I tried D:. Dude flaked on me twice after driving 2 hours one way!

This fucker gets 3mpg better than the bus, and costs about 1/4 to fill. :v.

46" deck height is a little sketchy though.

You get a pass cause your ute makes my loins tingle.

I don't want to hear no poo poo about it being a pick up whatchamacallit, that's a loving ute in spirit if not in name.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

My 2.5 was the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

I currently own an F150 ecoboost. This is sadly the truth for me as well.

Motorcycle Question Thread II: Can I just not use the rear brake?

It's a VFR, with linked brakes. So, no. I can't just 'not use the rear brake.'

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What is the go-to cheap chain tool? Bikemaster or Harbor Freight?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-buffers/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm so old and boring I salivate over those Ford Transit vans. You can easily fit a bike in the back of one, along with all the other pants-creaming utility it provides.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Motorcycle Question Thread II: Can I just not use the rear brake?

Is that the pad material, separated from the backing plate?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm driving a 2016 transit van for work right now. I loving LOVE it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gorson posted:

I'm so old and boring I salivate over those Ford Transit vans. You can easily fit a bike in the back of one, along with all the other pants-creaming utility it provides.

Is that the pad material, separated from the backing plate?

Transit or Transit-Connect?

The new Transit vans are dope. I build them on the Ford website for fun.

I toured the midwest with a band last summer and now I'm really into vans. Vans!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

What are you trying to do to it? If you just want to separate the links, without using an angle grinder, I used the Bike master punch and it was fine.

If you are riveting Bikemaster also sells a kit for that, but I will be damned if I spend $90 on a Bikemaster product.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
U-Haul rents a motorcycle-specific trailer with a wheel chock built in - they're hard to find and you have to return them to the center from which you rented them, but they are lightweight and work well - I towed an old KZ440 on one with a 2000 Corolla.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Transit or Transit-Connect?

The new Transit vans are dope. I build them on the Ford website for fun.

I toured the midwest with a band last summer and now I'm really into vans. Vans!

The Transit, because bigger, but I would be happy with either one.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chichevache posted:

What are you trying to do to it? If you just want to separate the links, without using an angle grinder, I used the Bike master punch and it was fine.

If you are riveting Bikemaster also sells a kit for that, but I will be damned if I spend $90 on a Bikemaster product.

The cyclegear "Stockton tools" brand one is the same as the BM one and goes on sale for around $30-40 all the time.
At least it did when I was there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

Take the old chain off. I try to avoid rivet chains when I put new ones on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Mine is a jumbo duallie with a high roof. I'm 6' and I can stand upright without touching the roof and it can easily fit 4 bikes, a metre wide ramp, all the tools I own and an air compressor whilst getting 8.5L/100km and having better performance than my car. Or alternatively a big mattress and a shitload of camping stuff. I almost bought a hilux and I'm glad I didn't.

Take the old chain off. I try to avoid rivet chains when I put new ones on.

You should change that habit if your bike has more than ~40hp.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

You should change that habit if your bike has more than ~40hp.

DR350 in this case, so 30 hp. And my XJ is probably somewhere just shy of 50. I'm pretty scrupulous about the chain and really don't ride as often as I used to, so chain inspections per mile are creeping up lately.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DR350 in this case, so 30 hp. And my XJ is probably somewhere just shy of 50. I'm pretty scrupulous about the chain and really don't ride as often as I used to, so chain inspections per mile are creeping up lately.

Goondolences and carry on.

e: New question.

I want to do the electrolytic rust removal thing on one of my tanks. I understand the method in general but I have a few detail questions.

1. Do I have to use a battery charger or can I use a car battery by itself? I have a 4300ma charger but I'm not sure if this is grunty enough.

2. WTF is the generic name of 'super washing soda' seemingly everyone on the internet uses because there's nothing like that on shelves here. Alternatively is there some other poo poo I can use?

3. Can I leave the petcock in there or will bad things happen if I do?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 13, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All 3 answers: ebay a newer tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

All 3 answers: ebay a newer tank.

:rolleyes: yeah I'll just ebay myself a rust free tank for a 1981 MB100.