Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
In this analogy, Goons play the part of 'Chandler', while Latrine appears as himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OYS_mZlBE

Moma getting a mention as 'pacific rim nation'.

Edit:
Literal shite snipe

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Hey MoMa do you think Laztrine is a genuine backer or a troll?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lazrin posted:

that's just it... i do have friends in the industry... in fact, *i* may have even spent some time there!

but i can't seem to get a bead on this common knowledge out there.

are you sure you can't help me?

Step 1: Be cordial, so people are inclined to include you in their network. Examples of uncordial behavior is calling everyone in the community "cunts".

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D1E posted:

Bad day at the office MoMA?

No - real busy today.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Hey MoMa do you think Laztrine is a genuine backer or a troll?

Confirmed troll.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

If kickstarter/crowdfunding is a gamble, how can you be sure that it WILL succeed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please - don't even call this bullshit because you can't understand how consolidated financials work. BTW - these accounts are abbreviated. Your accountant "friend" should have informed you that you can't make any reasonable or educated guess as to the financial integrity of this one subsidiary based on the audited filing.

If you can't make any reasonable or educated guess based on this one filing, why do you see this as a positive thing? You clearly posted about how this encouraged you based on the numbers present.

So which is it?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
he's acknowledging it may a bad bet but he's betting it will succeed, though he has no proof it will. give the guy a break. if he wants to blow his $4k let him. hes not as bad as some of the cultists we've endured.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh by the way guys I'm 30 pages behind so if I don't reply in 4 days then don't worry I'm a-ok.

And call you parents, they miss you.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If kickstarter/crowdfunding is a gamble, how can you be sure that it WILL succeed?

You cannot be sure of anything.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you can't make any reasonable or educated guess based on this one filing, why do you see this as a positive thing? You clearly posted about how this encouraged you based on the numbers present.

So which is it?

Stop your little entrapment games with moma, he's too clever for your feeble ruses

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Star citizen.jpg

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So which is it?

You cannot infer as to the verisimilitude of financial success from just one subsidiary. That said, the presented numbers, in my opinion, do not appear to be negative. That's what I feel; it's what I believe. Agree to disagree.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, yeah. The operational expense for 180 people is not cheap. But, they were still net positive cash flows at the end of the year. That's a huge positive for an entity with 22 mil operational expense. Even then, it gets consolidated to the parent, who's obviously using this entity to offset their tax burden.

How can you say this is a positive when its just 1 sub out of 5 or 42 or whatever number is the real one?

You just said you can't take a REASONABLE guess at this stuff.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

how about a friendly wager? If you give me $10k, I promise to give you a completionist package if Star Citizen exists in two years

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Guess Moma is going to ignore Streetrollers epic post

Streetroller posted:

Ok, so after a while of dealing with Cloud Imperium Games, I have finally received a refund of $3000 USD.

After the terms of service change, I contacted CIG and requested a full refund.
Here's a full transcript with personal identifying information removed.

Essentially, a full denial.
I did exactly what I said I would, and ended up recovering $900 dollars through Amazon payments.

On June 29th, I received three official responses, pretty much identical in spirit, though the one I received from the District Attorney of Los Angeles was signed by Ortwin personally.

Two days later, I received Paypal responses about my inquiry of a refund. I received the following response on all my claims:

Then, on July 11th, I was contacted by an LA County Investigator inquiring information about CIG and RSI.
We had about an hour long conversation, where I detailed everything about CIG and how I felt it was a scam (my opinion)
He told me to get as many people as I can to write complaints into them, so they can build a case.
Here: http://dcba.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dca
For clarity, I'M DEREKS SOURCE FOR THAT

Less than 24 hours later, I received the additional balance of what I was unable to recover.

I plan to record an upload a video to Youtube detailing my journey, but I promised to update the thread for you guys, so here you are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . . Oh, but there aren't any?

Lol, you're a literal tard if you think that an investigation happens as soon as a company starts and not once they have something go on.

You're also an idiot for thinking that any serious investigation would openly talk about a criminal investigation of a "high profile" company.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

how about a friendly wager? If you give me $10k, I promise to give you a completionist package if Star Citizen exists in two years

This person has a pretty good track record. I know this because I recognize the poster's name and I have rose-tinted glasses about the last 4000 pages. I'd say it's a pretty good wager. I mean pledge.

Don't trust pgabz tho he only produces poo poo content. Said so himself.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am sure you will post again in this thread.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Streetroller posted:

Then, on July 11th, I was contacted by an LA County Investigator inquiring information about CIG and RSI.
We had about an hour long conversation, where I detailed everything about CIG and how I felt it was a scam (my opinion)
He told me to get as many people as I can to write complaints into them, so they can build a case.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Atreiden posted:

Guess Moma is going to ignore Streetrollers epic post

You see, it's totally normal for a company to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to give a customer a refund he is entitled to by law. Because %0.0026 percent of the money raised is worth more than the potential PR backlash of a customer that feels he has been cheated and has legal avenues for getting back his money.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

You cannot infer as to the verisimilitude of financial success from just one subsidiary. That said, the presented numbers, in my opinion, do not appear to be negative. That's what I feel; it's what I believe. Agree to disagree.

Oh for gently caress's sake, MoMA. Please. PLEASE stop.

Embrace the poo poo show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwzg7SYZKF0

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Streetroller posted:

Ok, so after a while of dealing with Cloud Imperium Games, I have finally received a refund of $3000 USD.

I did exactly what I said I would, and ended up recovering $900 dollars through Amazon payments.

On June 29th, I received three official responses, pretty much identical in spirit, though the one I received from the District Attorney of Los Angeles was signed by Ortwin personally.

Two days later, I received Paypal responses about my inquiry of a refund. I received the following response on all my claims:

Less than 24 hours later, I received the additional balance of what I was unable to recover.

I plan to record an upload a video to Youtube detailing my journey, but I promised to update the thread for you guys, so here you are.

This is an excellent post and deserves to be seen outside of this thread - maybe a few more whales can yank their money out of the blazing dumpster that is Star Citizen before it's too late. The video is a good idea. If Derek spots it, it would also be worth adding this post to the OP. Another option is having it as a brief thread in this subforum so people can actually find it again.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

who wants to infer my verisimilitude

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'll give dicklaz one thing, he is more entertaining to read than Toast.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

You cannot infer as to the verisimilitude of financial success from just one subsidiary.
LJM

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

You see, it's totally normal for a company to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to give a customer a refund he is entitled to by law. Because %0.0026 percent of the money raised is worth more than the potential PR backlash of a customer that feels he has been cheated and has legal avenues for getting back his money.

Especially when the company lies to paypal and a DA. Totally a company you should intrust with $4000 right Moma?

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Dial A For Awesome posted:

This is an excellent post and deserves to be seen outside of this thread - maybe a few more whales can yank their money out of the blazing dumpster that is Star Citizen before it's too late. The video is a good idea. If Derek spots it, it would also be worth adding this post to the OP. Another option is having it as a brief thread in this subforum so people can actually find it again.

He's already blogged it!

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/07/star-citizen-this-war-of-mine/comment-page-1/#comment-3465

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

Star Citizen: That's what I feel; it's what I believe.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Aside from typing/talking like a jackass, this is the first post you've ever made that's worth a goat gently caress. Tentative tone, non-confrontational, states an opinion. That'll do, Toast.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Atreiden posted:

Especially when the company lies to paypal and a DA. Totally a company you should intrust with $4000 right Moma?

"The DA won't know"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Who hires someone back as a consultant if they're considered a failure? If Microsoft fired him and wanted him away from the product, they wouldn't hire him back.

What about Peter Molyneux?

Everyone considered his later games as failures or, at the very least, overpromised games that couldn't deliver on tons of content.

That didn't stop people from trusting him again and again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

Eagerly awaiting your reply to this. :allears:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Star Citizen: That's what I feel; it's what I believe.

I mean, we just had the name updated but this one is too good to pass up.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

" a significant expansion of the base game "
- Ortwin

"MVP "
- Roberts

Ortwin argues that the scope of the project has changed, thus explaining why they havent delivered what was promised in the kickstarter

But straight from the horses mouth on record, the CEO of the company (Roberts) explains they are aiming to release a Minimal Viable Product

Get sued to gently caress and back CIG

I hope they see jail time

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
loving lol at ortwin ortsplaining the law to a DA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Streetroller posted:

Is this on reddit yet? I'm bad at reddit. Someone do this and post the link.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Versimilitude motherfucker.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm no "kid," Jr. And, I don't need to know a thing about game development to understand business.

Wow, you really are stupid.

No wonder you gave them 4,000$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

And I keep asking where you guys get this assumption that there is no plan? Literally no one here has any insight as to the actual project management behind CIG's doors. So your speculations and assumptions are as asinine as mine in that regard.

So what you're saying is they might not have a plan?

Totally selling me on this game, brah! You'd think "having a plan" would be a major thing to communicate to the people expecting a final product.

• Locked thread