Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

The tagline should definitely be "The real monster is the monster"

I was hoping to come up with something to relay the fact that it's now free but the only two I can come up with are the INSANELY lovely "Free 2 Prey" and "Now The Price It Should Have Been."

Save us from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My idea for the title was "We're gonna need a more expensive boat". Cause Jaws and microtransactions get it? Get it?!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Evolve Stage 2: Dragoon Grandma VS Sonic the Magma-monster

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Magma the Hedgehog is probably a thing.

Oh boy

According to the turtle rock forums founders are getting an extra 27,000 keys with the next update, and daily challenges are going to 150 instead of 50, along with changes to decoy incoming at some point. They seem to be responsive, at least.

Edit: Just got my first wraith kill. It's probably not a good sign that the first kill is on somebody who makes lots of really obvious mistakes. Was Hyde and he spent most of his stage 1 attacking my shield right next to his decoy so I could torch both of them.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 12, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wow! Evolve has become FREE TO PLAY!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was hoping to come up with something to relay the fact that it's now free but the only two I can come up with are the INSANELY lovely "Free 2 Prey" and "Now The Price It Should Have Been."

Save us from me.

...I really like "Free 2 Prey" :shobon:

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Just had a decent medic during a wraith kill. Did a great job keeping on to whoever was getting focused down by the wraith and killed it on the second dome only having downed two hunters.

Then I noticed they had dc'd and it was a bot.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ChickenHeart posted:

2. SHOOTING THE MONSTER REGENERATES HIS STAMINA For the love of god, don't plink away at the monster from across the map if your team is trying to catch up to it for a dome-ing (unless you're sporting a tranquilizer/tracking gun). long-range fighting's pretty much only for when you're on the defensive or chipping away that last sliver of armor to put pressure on the monster

whoops. sorry team.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mister Bup posted:

Magma the Hedgehog is probably a thing.

Oh boy

According to the turtle rock forums founders are getting an extra 27,000 keys with the next update, and daily challenges are going to 150 instead of 50, along with changes to decoy incoming at some point. They seem to be responsive, at least.

Edit: Just got my first wraith kill. It's probably not a good sign that the first kill is on somebody who makes lots of really obvious mistakes. Was Hyde and he spent most of his stage 1 attacking my shield right next to his decoy so I could torch both of them.

At this point, there are lots of new people joining in that won't know how to punish the mistakes you might make as a monster. Although somehow they broke wraith again in the transition to Stage 2? So down line she's getting nerfed again.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

2. SHOOTING THE MONSTER REGENERATES HIS STAMINA For the love of god, don't plink away at the monster from across the map if your team is trying to catch up to it for a dome-ing (unless you're sporting a tranquilizer/tracking gun). long-range fighting's pretty much only for when you're on the defensive or chipping away that last sliver of armor to put pressure on the monster

What about Rogue Val's ticking poison damage? Does that help recharge the monster's stamina?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh my god, Lennox's plasma lance does such an absurd amount of damage. :allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Gunder posted:

What about Rogue Val's ticking poison damage? Does that help recharge the monster's stamina?

Just that by itself won't no, but if you hit the monster with the poison damage you'll put him in combat, and stamina regens super quick for monsters on combat.

Of course that's not to say that you should never not hit the monster when it's running away, if it's trying to jump away and eat to get armor back and you can shoot him to stop it then totally do it. If he's going to die the next time he gets shot then totally do that too.

I almost always shoot as well if i know i'm going to be doing health damage, just to add on a bit of insult to injury after a dome is over, but after that you should generally leave the monster and alone and just chase.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Save us from me.

every thread in games does not need a cheesy tagline

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ChickenHeart posted:

Is there anything in the game that explains this? I've played since beta and never ever knew this. Jesus I feel dumb now but nobody's ever tried to stop me in game, even the most vocal of elitist players.

Edit: VVV And thanks to that, it appears I have no need to change my playstyle.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 13, 2016

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Bogart posted:

whoops. sorry team.

quote:

Stamina has been increased for each Monster.

With the removal of in-combat stamina, each Monster now has a set Stamina value at all times.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

In the same vein, there was talk the other day about how the monster's armor decayed if it was domed and not in combat. They changed that, now if it can stay out of combat and not move, it's armor starts refilling, so we should've been hunting it down.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

Mister Bup posted:

I just consider it a starter pack. A ton of the daily rewards are replaced with keys since you unlocked them already and you've got a good base of characters to pick from so you're not stuck learning with awkward free week heroes like caira.

Asking as a noob, what's wrong with Caira? Shooting exploding green healing balls at teammates is inexplicably lots of fun for me, and the speed boost can be pretty clutch at times. Is her heal underpowered? Or do you have to be on the ball (heh) with the fire grenades too, which I've been mostly ignoring?

I haven't really played the other supports so I don't know how she compares.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Apparently a lot of people are having issues with the current patch. Black screens, completely unplayable :toot:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
WELP

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I had an invisible monster thing happen in my last bot game, to test out Torvald.

Dunno if it'll happen in multiplayer, let's find out!

Noblesse Oblige posted:

Asking as a noob, what's wrong with Caira? Shooting exploding green healing balls at teammates is inexplicably lots of fun for me, and the speed boost can be pretty clutch at times. Is her heal underpowered? Or do you have to be on the ball (heh) with the fire grenades too, which I've been mostly ignoring?

Projectile non-hitscan heals take some getting used to. I have a lot of caira games where it feels like we don't even have a healer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Noblesse Oblige posted:

Chiming in with Caira being fun as hell. I dropped in with a group of friends playing after having never played evolve before. Caira makes me wish overwatch's new support was a heal grenadier instead of a heal sniper. I usually just open every fight with a fire grenade salvo and let the dot tick while I swap to healing grenades. I have no idea if this is what I should be doing, but it feels like what I should be doing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nechronic posted:

Apparently a lot of people are having issues with the current patch. Black screens, completely unplayable :toot:

Steam is now downloading another patch. It's the same size as the original, so maybe they've fixed it?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gunder posted:

Steam is now downloading another patch. It's the same size as the original, so maybe they've fixed it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EvolveGame/comments/4sjxng/are_you_having_textureshader_issues_with_201_let/

reddit posted:

UPDATE: WE ARE ROLLING BACK THE BUILD. HANG TIGHT EVERYONE.

-Cory

e: Wonder if people who already spent the extra founders coins are going to get more when they redeploy.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 13, 2016

Peach Pusher
Apr 15, 2003

You're Armpit

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Chiming in with Caira being fun as hell. I dropped in with a group of friends playing after having never played evolve before. Caira makes me wish overwatch's new support was a heal grenadier instead of a heal sniper. I usually just open every fight with a fire grenade salvo and let the dot tick while I swap to healing grenades. I have no idea if this is what I should be doing, but it feels like what I should be doing.
Yeah, that's what you should be doing with Caira. Also what worked for me is to never reload the heal grenades. Shoot the monster, shoot me team, shoot the monster, shoot me team, repeat. E: I'm on xbox so I don't know what the new perks are like but quick switch on the old version worked wonders

Peach Pusher fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, so from owning the game I'm getting even MORE free things!? AND they're upping the token drop rate!? Do they even understand how free to play works?

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I think they're panicking. they did not expect the reboot to go so well. The game has been bouncing back and forth between 25000 and 50000 players. At one time the game was the 10th most played game on Steam. So , I think that they are pretty eager to keep that momentum.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tenasscity posted:

The game has been bouncing back and forth between 25000 and 50000 players.
wow that is like 50 battleborns

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
If I buy a cheapo key from amazon will I get the founders stuff?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tenasscity posted:

I think they're panicking. they did not expect the reboot to go so well. The game has been bouncing back and forth between 25000 and 50000 players. At one time the game was the 10th most played game on Steam. So , I think that they are pretty eager to keep that momentum.

They also did a really good job rebooting it. Gameplay is pretty tight in general. Fast matches, decent balance, etc, etc. Really like how they cleaned up the graphics as well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lohli posted:

If I buy a cheapo key from amazon will I get the founders stuff?

Yes, make sure to either get the following:

Evolve + DLC Pack
Monster Hunter Edition (if you want basically everything unlocked)
Evolve + DLC Pack + Hunting Season Pass. (Sames as monster hunter edition but you have to buy separately)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really enjoyed playing this back in the free beta time, but I took one look at the crazy DLC scheme and stayed far far away.

I'm getting back into it again but I wish they'd put a little more information in the game. Let me see what my teammates' abilities do while I'm waiting in the lobby. Maybe some actual damage numbers when I'm picking a character. Or got forbid more than a one line summary of my abilities.

For example: The game tells me a stasis grenade slows the monster, but I have no info on how much, how long it lasts, or how the area of effect works. A lot of this stuff is online but it would be nice to know during a game, and a lot of it seems out of date now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Stanley Pain posted:

Really like how they cleaned up the graphics as well.
Y'know... you say "cleaned up" but I say "looks way loving worse." I know it probably runs smoother overall but I rather liked the super bleak, wet versions of everything.

So something interesting happened to me the last time I played. After a match finished, I caught a glimpse of the old post-match report. The one that showed you where everyone went, when, and what actions were taken along the way. I miss that thing and I really wonder why they ever got rid of it. :( I also wonder why I was able to see it for about 2 seconds before the UI realized it made a mistake and whisked me away back to the usual post-match readouts.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Y'know... you say "cleaned up" but I say "looks way loving worse." I know it probably runs smoother overall but I rather liked the super bleak, wet versions of everything.

So something interesting happened to me the last time I played. After a match finished, I caught a glimpse of the old post-match report. The one that showed you where everyone went, when, and what actions were taken along the way. I miss that thing and I really wonder why they ever got rid of it. :( I also wonder why I was able to see it for about 2 seconds before the UI realized it made a mistake and whisked me away back to the usual post-match readouts.

Cleaned up as in not everything looks like Vaseline was smeared across a lens.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does everyone get the same daily sign in rewards? It's listed as being the animated EMET emblem today, but I can't seem to get it to show up on my list of emblems.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are any of the tier 4/5 hunters besides Lennox worth buying? I'm conflicted on what to spend the founder's bonus on, and new mans seems like the surest bet.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Are any of the tier 4/5 hunters besides Lennox worth buying? I'm conflicted on what to spend the founder's bonus on, and new mans seems like the surest bet.

Slim and Sunny are really great. I like EMET too, but he's a little hard to use. I would like Jack if I could work out how best to use his Repulsor.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Do they still have that really grindy progression system which breaks matchmaking at lower progression levels? That really sucked.
I had an insane win loss at launch because of it, and got bored clowning on people who had never played an asymmetric game before.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lexusbeat posted:

Do they still have that really grindy progression system which breaks matchmaking at lower progression levels? That really sucked.
I had an insane win loss at launch because of it, and got bored clowning on people who had never played an asymmetric game before.

No. That entire system is gone.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gunder posted:

I had a template for a new thread if you want to copy it. I'll find it.

Edit: Here's a pastebin of the OP that I made. It could probably do with a bit more info, but it'll remove at least some of the work. http://pastebin.com/9j45Lmrr

Having sat down and read this it's a little sparse on the info I'd jam in there but it's better than several other OPs we've seen. I cede to you if we make a new thread. If not we'll just linger in here 'til the game dies a second death. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Gunder posted:

Slim and Sunny are really great. I like EMET too, but he's a little hard to use. I would like Jack if I could work out how best to use his Repulsor.

Oh goodie, I like Sunny's visual design but wasn't sure if she was actually mechanically useful, thanks! :)

• Locked thread