Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why does the Nova even have access to UAC quirks? Why must it tempt me so? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So does the kit fox.

doesn't mean you need to use it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, the answer is never the Summoner, but holy hell is the Summoner responsive. Every other Clan heavy feels like a slug since the Summoner turns like a 40-tonner.

that's the baby for me i'm all about the retarded robot choices right now

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oooooh God 7 kills with a 5x MPLAS Nova on Terra Nova, of all places. Too bad I couldn't get Ace of Spades but I was at the end of my rope at the finishing kill of the match anyways.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I want to sell my CN9-D since I never ever use it over the loyalty one, but I just know that if I do there will be some massive LBX buffs in the next patch, guaranteed

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I want to sell my CN9-D since I never ever use it over the loyalty one, but I just know that if I do there will be some massive LBX buffs in the next patch, guaranteed

The reason to keep the D is an LBX cooldown module, and scouting.
it nears 50% reduction, and it is every bit as amazing as it sounds.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Well the -D comes with some okay quirks:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

The reason to keep the D is an LBX cooldown module, and scouting.
it nears 50% reduction, and it is every bit as amazing as it sounds.

That's neat, but bringing a non-zombie Centurion to scouting seems foolhardy. With the -A I regularly had my LT blown off, I can't imagine my LBX arm faring well in that game mode.

Unrelated: is there a consensus best 3rd module choice for a light mech (say the Locust) after radar deprivation and seismic sensor?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Leaving aside gauss, what is the best compbination of speed and dakka on the clan side?

I'm always a fan of the Cauldron Born.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

That's neat, but bringing a non-zombie Centurion to scouting seems foolhardy. With the -A I regularly had my LT blown off, I can't imagine my LBX arm faring well in that game mode.

Unrelated: is there a consensus best 3rd module choice for a light mech (say the Locust) after radar deprivation and seismic sensor?

Probably Target Info Gathering, unless you want Target Retention to help some poor dumb rear end in a top hat with LRMs.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Why does the Nova even have access to UAC quirks? Why must it tempt me so? :(

On the subject of LBX-guns:

They are different from normal ACs to use effectively. They are crit-seekers.
Means you should mainly shoot open hitboxes, not waste ammo on armor. Firing them at armored components is in any way worse than a regular AC, but once their pants are down they bring the pain.
For example, last night i killed a yellow CT Direwolf with a single shot from an LBX-10.

The main quirk of the LBX-2 is that they dont jam like uacs, and the spread is minimal since they only output 2 pellets.
On top of that they have no ghost heat, high range, good rate of fire.
While the big hitters like the LBX-20 is for close-up-and-personal use to minimize the spread and still deliver 20 damage, the lbx-2 is best used like a poison dart at longer range. Especially on a smaller mech.

As stupid as it sounds, Target Info Gathering (which i got from an event iirc) goes well with it, since the faster you see where the target has its armor stripped the sonner you can exploit it with aimed critseeking sniping.
4x Zoom is recommended too.
Hang back, check who is open and crit them to death from range.

Gimmick build: Hit them where it hurts. The ERLL helps strip armor and gives you something to do when you dont feel like dakka, the clan active probe gives range and target info speed if im not mistaken. 2.5 tons of ammo lasts a while, considering youre firing controlled bursts at selected target targets.

Bonus gimmick: Critakka Wolf. Doesnt jam, runs cool, instantly obliterates anything that doesnt have armor anymore. No need to check for armor, just press button until target falls apart. Firecontrol recommended.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 13, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the subject of LBX-guns:

They are different from normal ACs to use effectively. They are crit-seekers.
Means you should mainly shoot open hitboxes, not waste ammo on armor. Firing them at armored components is in any way worse than a regular AC, but once their pants are down they bring the pain.
For example, last night i killed a yellow CT Direwolf with a single shot from an LBX-10.

The main quirk of the LBX-2 is that they dont jam like uacs, and the spread is minimal since they only output 2 pellets.
On top of that they have no ghost heat, high range, good rate of fire.
While the big hitters like the LBX-20 is for close-up-and-personal use to minimize the spread and still deliver 20 damage, the lbx-2 is best used like a poison dart at longer range. Especially on a smaller mech.

As stupid as it sounds, Target Info Gathering (which i got from an event iirc) goes well with it, since the faster you see where the target has its armor stripped the sonner you can exploit it with aimed critseeking sniping.
4x Zoom is recommended too.
Hang back, check who is open and crit them to death from range.

Bonus gimmick: 6xLBX-2 dakkawolf. Doesnt jam, runs cool, instantly obliterates anything that doesnt have armor anymore.

Huh. Alrighty then. I might try that sometime.

Looking at my new Catapults....what sort of engines do people generally get on them? I have low funds so I'd prefer to buy as few engines as possible.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Domination on Alpine Peaks is actually kind of alright, despite Alpine Peaks and Domination

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Leaving aside gauss, what is the best compbination of speed and dakka on the clan side?

I don't know about best but I started running a UAC 20, 3x SRM 4 Stormcrow tonight and it's good times.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Huh. Alrighty then. I might try that sometime.

Looking at my new Catapults....what sort of engines do people generally get on them? I have low funds so I'd prefer to buy as few engines as possible.

I slightly updated my post with proposed fun builds btw.

Dont "buy" engines unless you really really have to.
Every mech you buy comes with an engine, and often you will buy a chassis you dont want, just to have 3 for elite skills.
Select mechs you dont want to keep absed on their engines to bring some variety into your list, just make sure to rip them out before you sell the mech back.

Other than that, you usually select an egine that
a) allows you to pack the weapons you want
b) goes fast enough
c) is XL or Standard according to what the mech will do.

You shouldnt pack XL into close up mechs, but for long range they are golden.
Never pack an XL into an assault unless its a wubmaster (e: or a long range sniper like the Stalker). If you run an Atlas or KingCrab with an XL you should have an icon over your head and TKing you should go unpunished.

Generally, check the mechs speed in the lab with the given engine. If you think thats ok, its ok.
Below 250, engines need additional heatsinks for a total of 10.
Above 250, every 25 gives an internal heatsink slot. So look out for 275, 300, etc. Try to stay away from 270 295 as they weigh almost as much as the next one without giving you the slot.
Check weight. Some engines have identical weight while being better. Example: XL 250 and XL255 weight exactly the same. Hence go for the 255 if your mech can carry it (and you own it).

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 13, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Im in the mood for gimmicks today, have a Boom Catte, or maybe a Dakkacatte, or if you feeling fancy maybe the Snuggle Catte.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im in the mood for gimmicks today, have a Boom Catte, or maybe a Dakkacatte, or if you feeling fancy maybe the Snuggle Catte.

Found your catapult builds again, ty for that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Seven tons of mg ammo? Why I do declare you know the way to my heart, suh.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

Buschmaki posted:

Does a 1 PPC 4 Machine Gun Cicada make any sense?

That person is doing it all wrong, the cicada is crap at fighting in MG range since it can't take much damage and can't shield with its arms all that well. I run my 3C to min max the poo poo out of its ER PPC quirks: fitted one ER PPC and two AC2s with 1/12 tons ammo. With Radar Dep, ADV Zoom, TIG, and both ER PPC mods.
CDA-3Chai Snipe
You hide behind terrain and only expose enough of your mech to get off the ER PPC; AC2's are there to do some more damage on isolated loners that are distracted by someone else on your team. I generally only run this when playing in a larger lance. But I managed this in a solo game a week back.

The mech is hard to play, but holding down left click on slow assaults in the open and picking off everyone's arms is fun. If a light is gunning for you, do your best to leg that mother fucker with the ER PPC and AC2 him down while moving out his effective ranges. I've been averaging 600 damage games so far. There will be those times when three lights role up on you and you melt. Your best defense is that your in a 3C and people focus on the more threatening mechs on your team.

I've been thinking of buying clan mechs to kit out a drop deck, what should I be working toward?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TPSDude posted:

I've been thinking of buying clan mechs to kit out a drop deck, what should I be working toward?

Whats your favourite playstyle?
Needing a 100-ton assault or not makes a big difference in variety obviously.

Other than that, i would unironically recfommend a mist lynx, because its (currently) the only mech that allows 3 timber wolves to fill up.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Generally something that do some damage at range with PPCs or Large Lasers and do most brawling with LPLs/MPLs.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Whats your favourite playstyle?
Needing a 100-ton assault or not makes a big difference in variety obviously.

Other than that, i would unironically recfommend a mist lynx, because its (currently) the only mech that allows 3 timber wolves to fill up.

I personally prefer 3x Hellbringer + 1x Stromcrow.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TPSDude posted:

Generally something that do some damage at range with PPCs or Large Lasers and do most brawling with LPLs/MPLs.

Generally, Timberwolves can do anything and are a solid core choice for any deck.
At 75 tons apiece (and i think 14mil cbills) you want to field 2 of them and then fill the leftover 100 with like a 55stormcrow for brawling and a shadow cat for ppcs.
Ebon Jags (65t) can be made into exceptional long range snipers due to their available shoulder mounts. 3 of those would leave space for a brawlcrow.

Keep in mind though that the current 250ton (?) dropdeck tonnage might change tomorrow or next week or never.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thinking bout coming back again. Since beta I seem to come back to this about every 6 months or so.

Is the OP still valid?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Valid-ish

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
wtf is there no way to skip the tutorial on existing accounts? I can't even escape leave game.

*edit* never mind it finally let me bring up an esc menu

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I think atm my plan is 2 timber wolves. Two Novas.

I need more mechbays..

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

wtf is there no way to skip the tutorial on existing accounts? I can't even escape leave game.

*edit* never mind it finally let me bring up an esc menu

You get a decent chunk of CBills from it, so do get around to completing it at some point.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

You get a decent chunk of CBills from it, so do get around to completing it at some point.

The Academy pays out 5 million C-Bills. So yeah, do make your drill instructor happy.

Bonus Achievements:
I didn't shoot the Captain = Shoot the drill instructor
One other achievement = Get killed by the Drill instructor

Both pay out 100 C-Bills. :pgi: has a bit of humor.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ace of Spades and even Philanthropist, since it requires the cooperation of your team and/or a fair bit of luck, and other multiplayer achievements like them, are the worst things for me. :(

I didn't even think about them before and I got that 7 kill game yesterday and I've been thinking about it too much. It always happens in multiplayer games and its so dumb. It's toxic and can drain the fun out of a game. I need to stop wanting to chase achievements especially when they aren't in single player games. :saddowns:

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Does anyone have a TLDR; version of the Townhall? Saw some pics of the new decals and I'm curious. Also curious about new Assault game mode where we shoot bullshit turrets as well as lockboxes that now drop loot of some sort?

Or something? I need some deets.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Rustarded posted:

The original entry in this Road Map for the upcoming Supply Cache feature met with some understandable resistance from the community. While Supply Caches are a feature we do plan on introducing with the July patch, their implementation will not take the form originally described in this Road Map, specifically in regards to their physical placement on the map and the Cache capture mechanic.

The physical placement and capture mechanic was an aspect of the feature that was not set in stone and was considered experimental with a high level of risk that it would not test out well enough for release, but the original road map text unfortunately was quite a bit more definitive than it should have been.
Beyond that, the feedback we've received regarding that specific aspect of the feature was exactly in line with our own thoughts and that aspect of the feature should have never been included in the road map; we will not be moving forward with the physical placement/capture mechanic for Supply Caches, as it was originally described.
The only circumstance under which we may re-approach the physical placement idea at a later date is if we arrive at something we feel will actually lead to a fun and well-received mechanic that won't have a negative impact on game play.

So for the July patch, one Supply Cache will be randomly awarded to one player from the winning Team. It is likely that your eligibility for this random selection will require some minimum degree of participation in the match, but what that participation metric may be is yet to be determined.

The remaining elements of the Supply Cache system are still intact. Once received, Supply Caches are added to the winning player's Inventory; a new tab will be added to the Inventory screen which will contain the Supply Caches the player has earned.

Each Supply Cache can be inspected before opening to see what is contained within. Players will then have the ability to purchase a Supply Cache Key using MC to unlock the Supply Cache. Once a Supply Cache has been unlocked, a random selection of the Supply Cache contents will be awarded to the player; the rest of the items are destroyed. Alternatively, unopened Supply Caches can instead be sold off for C-Bills.

Details regarding the cost of a Supply Cache Key and the kinds of items you can expect to be available from the Caches are still to be determined. We’ll provide more details as we approach July. This is a tried and tested game mechanic that is a value add for those that enjoy it but has no impact on game play and can be ignored by players that do not see it’s value.

Thanks for playing.

Patch Thing on the 19th

quote:

JULY

Patch Date: July 19th

Release of the Viper
Probably one of the best and most recent examples of how some 'Mechs are being visually updated and modernized with their introduction to MechWarrior Online. Credit again goes to Alex for his amazing concepts, and to one of our new modelers Mark Nicholson. This is Marks first 'Mech since joining us back in October of last year, and he's knocked it out of the park. You can check out the Viper Lore and Blueprint post here.

Supply Caches
Thread on Supply Cache Update here

Decals
Originally slated for August, the Decal system will be arriving in our July patch. ~90 decals will be available from the outset, with further additions and improvements to the Decal system planned for upcoming patches. All decals are single-purchase items; once a decal is acquired it can be applied to any ‘Mech. The Color system is shared between Patterns and Decals; owning a Color allows you to use that Color for Patterns and Decals. There will be six Decal slots available, all of which will be free to use.

Chat system updates
You’ll see some improvements to the in-game Chat system in the July patch. Chat will now be scrollable when the Chat window is ‘active’, and a few quality of life improvements have been implemented to fix issues related to the persistence of chat input between screens.

Save system improvements
The system for saving changes to your ‘Mechs has undergone an extensive technical overhaul for the July patch. Save times will be drastically reduced for players with large inventories of ‘Mechs and equipment. This overhaul also tackles some long-standing Invalid ‘Mech issues that could be caused by saving errors.

Viridian Bog Update
As mentioned in the June patch notes, with the recent addition of two new Level Designers to the PGI staff we are better equipped to more consistently evaluate maps for potential improvements. Following up on a pathing tweak to Forest Colony in the June patch, July sees a beautification and traversal update on Viridian Bog, in addition to a layout adjustment to provide more balanced access to the central terrace mountain.

‘Mech texture brightness fix
‘Mech textures have been adjusted to minimize the darkening of Patterns in certain lighting conditions. This fix has been needed for some time, but with the addition of Decals the desire for increased visibility of ‘Mech customization will be all the greater. Showing off your customization will be much clearer now.

Long Tom adjustments
Blast Radius is being reduced from 300m to 200m, max amount of Damage to a single ‘Mech is being reduced from 150DMG per component to 120 DMG per component.

Looking Ahead to August

Pushed to August: Multiple Drop Decks
A long-requested feature. Each player will be provided with 2 Invasion DropDeck slots and 2 Scouting DropDeck slots in which to save DropDeck configurations, and each DropDeck can be assigned a name for quick reference. You'll also be able to purchase up to 2 additional DropDecks each for both Invasion and Scouting, for an amount of MC to be determined.

New Item for August: Inverse Kinematics
After being removed way back in 2012 due to performance concerns, the engineers have managed to implement a cleaner, less demanding Inverse Kinematics system. This is currently slated for August release.

The August patch will be comprised of more than those two items. An upcoming August road map will cover some of the additional items currently slated for the August patch.

Assault Revamp

Status of the Assault Game Mode
Originally slated for a (very tentative) July release, the revamp of the Assault Game Mode is now slated as a September item.
Prior to release the Assault revamp will be placed onto the Public Test Servers to garner feedback and test it in the wild, but the exact date of that PTS is still to be determined.

The Assault game mode is being revamped to put the focus back onto the primary objective: capturing the opposing base. Completing the objective will be necessary to win the game mode; even if one team is eliminated, the other team will still have to take their base. In order to make the base assault more interesting the bases will better resemble proper bases, with new fortifications and special buildings, instead of solely having a mobile command center placed in the map.

These additions include (pending full testing and tuning) turrets, destructible walls, a jamming tower that produces an ECM effect, a radar tower that produces a UAV effect, and an air control tower that periodically calls in a DropShip to protect the base. While heavier 'Mechs might be better suited to directly assault the opposing base and team, lighter 'Mechs can hunt down and destroy the generators that power the opposing base’s towers, shutting them down to weaken the base’s defenses.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

Long Tom adjustments
Blast Radius is being reduced from 300m to 200m, max amount of Damage to a single ‘Mech is being reduced from 150DMG per component to 120 DMG per component.

That seems extremely not enough to make a difference to me.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I'd probably go with target retention so you don't lose info on your target.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

That seems extremely not enough to make a difference to me.

Does long tom bleed damage into adjacent locations?
if so, it will still oneshot everything.
If not, it will only oneshot everything thats not an assault.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Kanajashi put out his verdict on the Huntsman. It's another 50 ton clan medium that will be able to carry the firepower of clan heavies, and may have decent hardpoints. The renforcment pack gives you the options to use SRMs, but it isn't necessary to build a good mech. So it may be decent? Looks like it may be able to contend with the stormcrow.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Kanajashi put out his verdict on the Huntsman. It's another 50 ton clan medium that will be able to carry the firepower of clan heavies, and may have decent hardpoints. The renforcment pack gives you the options to use SRMs, but it isn't necessary to build a good mech. So it may be decent? Looks like it may be able to contend with the stormcrow.

I'm eyeing the huntsman with a great but critical eye, because it seems to be one mech that stuffs centurions, hunchbacks, enforcers all into once chassis.
Its a 50 ton with a 250, so kinda standard speed for punchy/brawly IS mediums.
Or like a nova, if a nova had endo and ferro and room for ammo in its legs.

5 critspaces in the LT and 6 in the RT kind of limits things, though. But with the hardpoints so spread out, it just means you're not running ac20's unless its in the arms one arm, I think. You lose 3 in the left and 2 in the right, so the max critspace is 7 and 8, respectively. So an ultra-20 only fits in the right arm at the exclusion of all other weapons, and you'll never have an lb-20. But you can shove in -10's and smaller to your heart's content. Hell, it has the tonnage to mass 2's if you must.

So basically a 250xl hunchback with approximately all of the options. Replicatable setup: Dakka enforcer? Ballistic arms. 4sp? 5 energy(arms, not head) and 2-4 missiles. Ac20+srm centurion? So easy. Keep in mind just stripping gear gives you 25 and a half useful tons. Technically, this means it can gauss jaeger mecha-clone it up too - you have your choice of RT+Rarm for deadside, or two arms. and case II.

Basically, I think I'm gonna love the thing, but I can't actually give pgi money until after it comes out, if at all.

NihilCredo posted:

Consider the humble Advanced Sensor Range. I almost never run without a BAP these days, usually for crit-shielding purposes on fatter mechs, and it has some nice synergies.
More scouting xp means faster xp gain means easier basics/elites on poo poo. I have lost track of the amount of times my splatlas snags 8+ scouting bonuses.
Dat Detect Range. you can spot un-ecm'd mechs at something ridiculous like 1200 meters.
Ecm. Do you hate ecm? BAP anti-ecm radius gets bigger when you put this module on. If the wiki is correct, its 360->450 meters with the second level. poo poo's great.
Cost. its only a 2 mil buy in, not 6mil.
Bonus: If you use clan mechs with targeting computers, the sensor boost stacks further.

Basically, its my go-to for many mechs, especially ones I'm just starting out in.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 14, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What modules are good for a 2srm6 4MLa hunchback 4sp?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Nova lacks endo steel and ferro but if you can make use of all the slots it does pretty well. Fill the hardpoints with lighter stuff I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Start with the missile cooldowns and watch the missiles fly off the shelves.

• Locked thread