Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Rhyno posted:

Someone took "dress uniform" a little too seriously.

Some people look good in a dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

Some people look good in a dress.

I don't have the butt for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

http://movieweb.com/star-trek-beyond-preview-villain-krall/

quote:

Idris Elba revealed in this featurette, which comes courtesy of YouTube, that he felt like he was "destroying a legacy" by watching the U.S.S. Enterprise "crash and burn." When this rebooted franchise started, the Enterprise ship was NCC-1701, and not the original NX-01 from the original TV series. During an interview from April, Simon Pegg made reference to an NX ship, and since we've seen the NCC-1701 ship get destroyed in posters and footage, many believe that the U.S.S. Enterprise crew will transition to the NX-01 ship at some point during Star Trek Beyond, to pay homage to the iconic original series.

Man, someone really skimmed the wiki article.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

If you want to read something incredibly in-depth about TMP's production -- I mean so in-depth it makes the Cinefex articles look like broad abstracts -- pick up Return to Tomorrow: The Production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Preston Neal Jones was given unfettered access to everyone involved, and the book covers literally everything: Pre-production and writing, filming, and the third section is like 100+ pages of ultra-detailed information about all the VFX work. Like, there will be six paragraphs about how a single two-second shot was accomplished. It was originally intended as a cover story for CFQ, they killed the story, and then last year Jones decided to release his entire manuscript.

I'm kind of really into this, both for the behind-the-scenes slow motion trainwreck and out of awe for Douglas Trumbull's genius and work ethic. Thanks!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I watched The Lights of Zetar tonight for the first time in like ten years and holy poo poo was that a miserable slog.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Up The Long Ladder is definitely one of the worst episodes of Star Trek. Here's a colony that has only been able to survive via cloning, but now they need new genetic material. The crew adamantly refuses to donate any of theirs because...? So they have to take drastic measures and forcibly take some material from Riker and Pulaski. Kind of a dick move, but understandable given the dire circumstances. But then Riker decides that the best course of action is to murder their clones in cold blood.

And that's not even mentioning the Space Irish.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's definitely a good example of TNG writers not really thinking things through all the way, but given that those clones were never even conscious I'm not really sure how murder-y the whole thing was. I'd say it's more like they aborted their rape babies.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like the episode where Picard just straight murders himself from the future.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A Romulan and Geordi indirectly kinda-sorta-not-really address the abortion issue by way of blindness:

:golgo: "How did this happen?"
:techno: "I was born that way."
:golgo: "And your parents let you live?"
:techno: "What kind of question is that? Of course they let me live!"
:golgo: "No wonder your race is weak. You waste time and resources on defective children."

e: Why yes, I do think :golgo: kind looks kind of vaguely Vulcan/Romulan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Speaking of Romulans, I loving love TNG-era warbirds. They might be my favorite spaceship in anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Paradoxish posted:

It's definitely a good example of TNG writers not really thinking things through all the way, but given that those clones were never even conscious I'm not really sure how murder-y the whole thing was. I'd say it's more like they aborted their rape babies.
Yeah that seemed to be the explicit point, and since the clones never woke up or got programmed or whatever, the analogy seemed to hold, though without the ethical factor of having to be a life support system.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I watched The Lights of Zetar tonight for the first time in like ten years and holy poo poo was that a miserable slog.

This episode used to scare the poo poo out of me when I was a kid, especially the scenes on Memory Alpha. I do think the gargling noises and technicolor face is a good effect. I still feel the first half of the episode is a pretty effective slow build horror story that falls apart once they find out what's going on. The plot would probably have been better served by either not revealing the Lights' true nature, so they're just an inscrutable, must-be-destroyed force like the doomsday machine, amoeba from Immunity Syndrome, etc.; or alternatively, if it did reveal that they're just talky godlike energy beings trying to find some way to keep everyone happy. The Lights are assholes, but if you're going to the trouble of making them aliens that can be talked to and reasoned with, then what's the point in giving them such a convoluted motivation as "we exist as pure energy and have abandoned physical forms, except this lady's, hers is pretty hot I guess, let's just erase her mind and take it. No we aren't prepared to discuss this or find someone else to live inside." And these guys can't take ten minutes in a pressure chamber? Weak rear end poo poo for a godlike energy being if you ask me. Also Scotty's crush on Lt Might Die is terrifically boring (contrast Who Mourns for Adonais) because there's no emotional resonance to getting your girlfriend stolen from you by a light show. So the basic concept is okay, but strictly turd season otherwise.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

Well if you want another "in-universe" reason, Starfleet isn't a "military", and even in the modern military there are often options about how and which uniform to wear that are at the discretion of the individual outside of specific duties or formations/parades, beyond just stuff getting phased out. When I was an air force media guy I could wear the camouflage pajamas or the blue polyester suit pretty much at my discretion most of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

Well if you want another "in-universe" reason, Starfleet isn't a "military", and even in the modern military there are often options about how and which uniform to wear that are at the discretion of the individual outside of specific duties or formations/parades, beyond just stuff getting phased out. When I was an air force media guy I could wear the camouflage pajamas or the blue polyester suit pretty much at my discretion most of the time.

So pyjamas, right?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

MikeJF posted:

So pyjamas, right?

You are scaredy pants. You wear pyjamas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLHy7kwHnU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Speaking of Romulans, I loving love TNG-era warbirds. They might be my favorite spaceship in anything.

Yeah, Romulan Warbirds are gorgeous and imposing and I'm really sad we didn't get one in Generations. Also I agree with pretty much everything you said re: TMP. To this day I have no problem sitting through the Enterprise shuttlepod tour, between the music and the exquisite detailing of the model it's just cinematic hedonism.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gammatron 64 posted:

You are scaredy pants. You wear pyjamas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLHy7kwHnU

Man, Gowron's been hitting the blood wine pretty hard. Calories still count in Sto'Vo'Kor, dude! Martok's aged just fine, except for a little trouble with the teeth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeJF posted:

So pyjamas, right?

Depends. The pajamas were half polyester and half nylon. In the summer, it was sometimes better to wear grandpa's suit than the non-breathing pajamas.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tighclops posted:

There is no real pacing or sense of scale in these movies, regardless of any scientific inaccuracy. It's just a bunch of CGI video game cut scenes interspersed with a bit of fanwanky dialogue in between. The problem is so many other movies are like this these days that even in that one lovely regard, NuTrek can't stand out

Like star trek has actually ever played by the rules of gow things move in space

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Subyng posted:

Like star trek has actually ever played by the rules of gow things move in space

The issue being pointed out in that quote is not that the spaceships don't move realistically, it's that the motion of the spaceships is not effective for dramatic or narrative purposes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.

What if we split the difference and have a Romulan Warbird captained by the Duras Sisters and Sela's head on a pike? If they want to do more than just imply what happened, have a scene where the Duras' meet up with their old ally to make a deal, take out the bridge crew with a suicide bomber, then activate the Romulan "Irradiate all the mutinous crew outside the bridge" button.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ditto. I really loved both the Ent-D and the Warbird, and had both models growing up. I would spend literal hours just slowly bringing them together with that "ccccccccchhh" spaceship sound. Picard expressing surprise aloud at how massive the thing is. Or the warbird slowly coming out of cloak and just... sitting there.

That was what I always loved. Romulan warbirds would drop their cloaking field and then sit, unmoving and malevolent. Gave me chills.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sadly my Warbird figure came with the bottom strut out of its slot so the head kept craning upwards like it was checking for rain, which ruined the threatening aspect somewhat. So I had to make do with the TOS Romulan Bird of Prey, and that Vorcha cruiser model.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Not really. I mean, the clones were being raised in a vat, and if they hadn't figured out the devious plot they would have known nothing about it. It would be more like if a woman had a single ovum removed, artificially fertilized, and implanted in a willing surrogate. If it was done against her will it would be illegal as heck, but at the same time I don't think the victim would be able to demand that the fetus be aborted as long as the surrogate was fine with it.

But whatever, dumb episode. I guess in the 80s, cloning was still a weird sci-fi concept.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fister Roboto posted:

Not really. I mean, the clones were being raised in a vat, and if they hadn't figured out the devious plot they would have known nothing about it. It would be more like if a woman had a single ovum removed, artificially fertilized, and implanted in a willing surrogate. If it was done against her will it would be illegal as heck, but at the same time I don't think the victim would be able to demand that the fetus be aborted as long as the surrogate was fine with it.

But whatever, dumb episode. I guess in the 80s, cloning was still a weird sci-fi concept.
I dunno man, it seems pretty horrifying to think that someone else just has to successfully get away with the caper to a certain degree, and they can make use of your genetic material forever. While I grant that your scenario might occur in terms of legal precedents in modern US society, we're dealing with a Star Trek morality play scenario.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, that episode is majorly hosed up. I mean, I would probably be mad if someone cloned me without my consent, but I wouldn't go ahead and MURDER my drat clone afterwards.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That doesn't really bother me though, because my genetic material is only part of me, not my entire being. If someone cloned me, the clone would be an entirely different individual from me who just happens to have the same genetic code. I'd be no more bothered by it than if my parents told me I had a twin brother that they gave up for adoption.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would murder the gently caress out of my clone

The world's not big enough for two of me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If my clone was more successful than me, I'd murder him.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If you hosed your clone, would that count as masturbation?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

If my clone was more successful than me, I'd murder him.

Those clones were still at zero on the success line, so well above Trek posting goons. Murder away.

PS it's not murder they weren't ever conscious

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Will should have murdered Thomas Riker on sight before he could seduce Deanna with...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you hosed your clone, would that count as masturbation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
According to Odo, killing your clone is still murder.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Odo lives in a bucket, what does he know

Kill all clones :getin:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kill all clones :getin:

Begun these clone wars have

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Trent posted:

PS it's not murder they weren't ever conscious

Maybe they were dreaming, or in the Riker clone's case having a wet dream.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if the "clones" were the real crew members who were sedated and the other ones were the clones thinking they were the originals and they choose to kill what they think are clones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The clones were all goopy and hairless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Keep your clones alive and send them to work or school in your place so you can take the day off. You're the original, so you're the boss, right?

This didn't work out very well for Calvin, but nothing did, really.