Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyway i'm still slowly making my way through shallie and i didn't really appreciate them giving me three new characters and a new equipment tier all at once. obsolete gear is fine, but default gear is all but useless in these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

anyway i'm still slowly making my way through shallie and i didn't really appreciate them giving me three new characters and a new equipment tier all at once. obsolete gear is fine, but default gear is all but useless in these games.

But that means more crafting!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tend not to care much about the crafting until the options really open up and you can create blasphemous god-killing bombs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
homura is cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dmboogie posted:

Bastard Bonds is actually reminding me of the first Geneforge game, just with a lot more muscular men.

Being stranded on a seemingly-deserted island and having to find a boat, check, a relatively open world map that lets you explore different paths, check.

pro tip: moving strongholds isn't well explained, but you can take over any building that you have fully cleared and have enough manpower to support. only the first one has a cutscene and stuff to set it up which confused me at first

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
So I bought Atelier Ayesha because it was on sale and its pretty fun so far. One thing I'm worried about though, how strict is the time limit? I'm a few months in and only got access to bombs recently. Am I hosed if I just tool around collecting/hunting and messing with recipes or do I have plenty of time to just do whatever. I get this sense that I'm not progressing anything and I still don't really get the crafting system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah, the time limit in ayesha is pretty loose. dont worry too much about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

So I bought Atelier Ayesha because it was on sale and its pretty fun so far. One thing I'm worried about though, how strict is the time limit? I'm a few months in and only got access to bombs recently. Am I hosed if I just tool around collecting/hunting and messing with recipes or do I have plenty of time to just do whatever. I get this sense that I'm not progressing anything and I still don't really get the crafting system.

The time limit is very lenient. It's only strict if you're going for the A+Superduperbestend which is really not something designed for a first playthrough. (And it isn't a case of 'bad end' or anything, the best ending is just "you ace everything in the game" instead.)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
It's not super hard to get the best end on a first playthrough even casually but what screwed me over (& will probably screw most) was missing a treasure contest

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Alright thanks that's good to know. It seemed like a really chill game but even having a time limit puts me on edge so I was having a hard time just relaxing. It'll be a cool ride from here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

It's not super hard to get the best end on a first playthrough even casually but what screwed me over (& will probably screw most) was missing a treasure contest

for me it was going straight for the floating island with Keith without visiting the library first

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

just remember to actually equip the stuff that makes you move/gather/etc faster or it won't do anything

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There's also a very hidden map shortcut you find in the swamp (flooded area with a wailing chorus) that you need the closeted redhead with the fantastic themesong to unlock.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I look forward to the floating island. Is there any other benefits of keeping certain party members around for certain things? I only have access to 3 and it's already rough having to pick which 2 to pal around with.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Using characters builds friendship, which is needed to access their events and endings.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Does anyone have any tips for playing through Trails in The Sky for the first time?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charlie Bobson posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing through Trails in The Sky for the first time?
it's totally okay to not do every sidequest if you don't feel like it, but try and do at least a few

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sky's combat animations are pretty slow. They didn't bug me that much, but consider doing this if you want to speed up battles:

Cake Attack posted:

as requested, here is how to get 2x (or any x, yx if you will) battle speeds.

1. Download/install Cheat Engine
2. In Cheat Engine, go Edit > Setting > Hotkeys
3. Pick speedhack speed 1. Set the speed to 1.00 and choose a hotkey. This is the key to return to regular speed.
4. Pick speedhack speed 2. Set the speed to whatever you want (I think 2x works well). This is how you fastforward.
5. Open the game. In the main cheat engine window, hit the little search computer icon in the top left, and find SC in the list.
6. Check Enable Speedhack. You'll need to do steps 5/6 everytime you start the game.

If you're playing mouse and keyboard, you're done. If not, it becomes vaguely more complicated. I'm not sure if it's possible to bind the hotkeys directly as gamepad inputs, personally I just used xpadder to map the chosen hotkeys to LT and RT.

In the first game's final dungeon, use the party members with the highest ATS and look up a map.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 13, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

Arts will be stronger than crafts through most of FC, especially in the last dungeon. SC takes some steps to fix this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's also totally okay to use Cheat Engine's speedhack toggle.

e: Oops, beaten like a shiny pom

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

I look forward to the floating island. Is there any other benefits of keeping certain party members around for certain things? I only have access to 3 and it's already rough having to pick which 2 to pal around with.

If you're playing Ayesha Plus you'll unlock the ability to instant swap characters partway through the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Charlie Bobson posted:

So long as you don't make too many dumb choices when given dialogue options and do all the sidequests, you can hit Rank 1 pretty easily by endgame.

Most Chapters have an extra Job (Side-quest) lurking somewhere. Go for a wander, and talk to everyone you meet.

The S/M/L beside Jobs on the board means Short, Medium and Long. These grow shorter by main-story events, so if you see one marked as Short, chances are it'll fail if you go hit the next story event.

Learn every new Recipe you can, stop and eat every meal you can buy at cafes and restaurants to learn them. Sit-Down meals are a better way to heal than burning through Arts and healing items.

You generally make plenty of money, and only buy new gear the first time you hit the town of the Region for the Chapter, so you should dump a bunch of Mira to max out your stores of the basic cooking ingredients (the ones that cost like 4-10 Mira apiece).

The road outside the Haken Gate in Chapter 1 is a great early source of Time, Mirage and Space Sepith to grind off. Just don't hit the baby birds with Arts.

Joshua's your best bet for Set AOE arts (ones spaced manually instead of centered on an enemy). Shoot for getting him Hell Gate and then White Gehenna with his Quartz setup.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dmboogie posted:

Bastard Bonds is actually reminding me of the first Geneforge game, just with a lot more muscular men.

Being stranded on a seemingly-deserted island and having to find a boat, check, a relatively open world map that lets you explore different paths, check.
This is actually an endorsement in my book. With lots of manly men :kimchi:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Charlie Bobson posted:

Feel free to dodge as many random encounters as you can, because the exp scales with you. IE if you are underleveled you get more and if you are overleveled you get less.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Might put you behind on sepith, but you probably get enough from chests and bosses.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 13, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Feel free to dodge as many random encounters as you can, because the exp scales with you. IE if you are underleveled you get more and if you are overleveled you get less.

Also, just doing all the optional sidequest fights will get you more than enough exp to get through the game without random encounters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also, agate gets pretty op if you can manage his CP-charging craft well enough

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Returnee Ateliers

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Avoiding random encounters (for the most part) is best advice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bring back homura

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the fat guy is no longer fat what the gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Oskar losing weight is weird.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what the gently caress

fat Oskar was a way better design

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hank looks like a poofter though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like when the reverse happened in fairy tail where after a timeskip one of the sexy boys gained like 60 pounds

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bloodychill posted:

Avoiding random encounters (for the most part) is best advice.

Why would you do that? There's a reason one of the boss tracks is called "Today's enemy is tomorrow's ingredient".

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Why would you do that? There's a reason one of the boss tracks is called "Today's enemy is tomorrow's ingredient".

There's a Shining Pom spawn in every chapter. If you fight those things a few times each, you can completely avoid all random battles until the final dungeon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

i like when the reverse happened in fairy tail where after a timeskip one of the sexy boys gained like 60 pounds

That owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

what the gently caress

fat Oskar was a way better design

I kinda like stuff changing and I wonder what justification if any there will be. Did plants start telling him to exercise?

We need fat Harol to balance this though.