Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reading a manga is almost always faster than watching a show in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Reading a manga is almost always faster than watching a show in my experience.
see: My Hero Academia

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, 20 pages is generally faster than 25ish minutes.

Hell, 60 pages is generally faster than 25ish minutes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am the guy who recommends the movies.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how good is the yu yu hakusho dub? also how good is the anime? is it like hunter x hunter where the anime is excellent, or is it more like dbz where the anime brings down excellent source material

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ninjewtsu posted:

how good is the yu yu hakusho dub? also how good is the anime? is it like hunter x hunter where the anime is excellent, or is it more like dbz where the anime brings down excellent source material

The anime is fun, but has some padding like DBZ to fill out. I loving love the dub and Kuwabara is great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The ending is also Radically different but it doesn't really amount to much. The last real "arc" is downright cut.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 11, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Both are good

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, Evangelion. It seems like there are more version of the series than the original Star Wars, so where should I start, and what possible remasters might be released in the future? I've got a Blu-ray player, and I live in Europe, for what it's worth - and iTunes for TV isn't available here.

I'd obviously prefer some remastered footage, but not if it's butchered like Star Wars or Ghost in the Shell 2.0.

I assume I'm supposed to start with the original TV show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep.

1). Original TV series, 1-26, don't skip the last two episodes like some crazy people might say to do
2). End of Evangelion film
3). Rebuild of Evangelion films

All are on Blu-ray though only the Rebuild films have official English releases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

So, Evangelion. It seems like there are more version of the series than the original Star Wars, so where should I start, and what possible remasters might be released in the future? I've got a Blu-ray player, and I live in Europe, for what it's worth - and iTunes for TV isn't available here.

I'd obviously prefer some remastered footage, but not if it's butchered like Star Wars or Ghost in the Shell 2.0.

I assume I'm supposed to start with the original TV show.

You want the Platinum Edition of the TV series. It remasters all the video and audio, and adds new footage to a few later episodes (like 10+ minutes worth, not just a few blink-and-miss-it bits).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TV series, then End of Evangelion, that's it. The Rebuild movies are an alternate version that starts off following the TV series then goes off the rails, they're an interesting watch but afterwards. And also possibly never finished.
I wouldn't worry about alternative versions of the TV episodes, it's virtually impossible to get the non-Directors Cut versions unless you're deliberately looking for them.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Alternatively, just don't bother. Evangelion is bad tbh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At this point I don't think you'd be able to avoid watching the Platinum/Remastered version of Eva if you wanted to, the original release has been lost to the ether. Which is fine because the original release looked like garbage.

Technically the Director's Cut versions of some of the later episodes existed well before the Platinum versions, that wasn't something added for just that release. Just where most people probably got to watch them for the first time because ADV's initial release didn't have them. And yeah you should watch those versions instead of the originals. Most releases label them as such, I think the latest Blu-ray release for example literally had two versions of each applicable episode, "DC" and "On-air" or something similar.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 13, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Has there been any word on when the final Rebuild movie will be out?

Astro Ambulance posted:

Alternatively, just don't bother. Evangelion is bad tbh.
Not really. You not liking it doesn't make it objectively bad.

It does hosed-up people really well. Also, the EVA fights are largely the stuff of legend, both in choreography and animation quality. Yoh Yoshinori doing a lot of important scenes really helped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Has there been any word on when the final Rebuild movie will be out?

It's not going to be anytime soon - Hideaki Anno's recently been directing Godzilla Resurgence for Toho.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Appreciate it all, cheers. I think all this stuff was why I never got around to watching it.

I never use English dubs for anime, so as long as the menus are available in English with subs, I'm good.

From what I can see, the Platinum collection is only available in Reg2/PAL as individual copies - not as a box set?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably, I don't remember one anyway. I think some versions of the first volume came with a box or something you could put them all in.

Just gonna put it out there that the JP only Bluray version looks REALLY good and those DVD's have been out of print for a while also the company that released them doesn't exist anymore, so you could find a torrent of the HD versions... somewhere.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's so much money lying on the table that the original series and EoE will be license rescued at some point, but until then there's no shame in pirating the blurays.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

There's so much money lying on the table that the original series and EoE will be license rescued at some point, but until then there's no shame in pirating the blurays.

I'm really surprised NGE hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray release in recent years, especially with the Rebuild Movies coming out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really surprised NGE hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray release in recent years, especially with the Rebuild Movies coming out.

It did! It's just not (legally) available in English. I'm sure Funimation would love to get the rights to it but considering the clusterfuck with 3.33 it sounds like those deals are rough to say the least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The blurays look gorgeous and I can't wait to own a copy with English subs in the year 2525.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Japanese blurays only came out less than 12 months ago and licencing poo poo can take a while especially when it's a super popular series that lots of companies will be interested in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Funimation does seem to be pretty dogged about getting old licenses that they want, they'd been after The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for ages to unify their Hosoda catalog and though it took a while they got it done. Evangelion TV on Blu-ray would be their white whale I'd bet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would also not be shocked if Funimation has a rights to the awesome Eva blu-rays but is sitting on it for whatever reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still arguing over the last line in EoE

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I would also not be shocked if Funimation has a rights to the awesome Eva blu-rays but is sitting on it for whatever reason.

They've been open about how the Rebuilds sold incredibly well for them, so if they do have the rights I'd place money on the Japanese side of things bogging it down. They'd want to tell everyone it's coming as soon as they're able.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Still arguing over the last line in EoE
"should we keep the tomato splat sound effect in, or take it out?"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

"should we keep the tomato splat sound effect in, or take it out?"

If they use the Manga Ent SE track they are mad men. It's such a shame cuz the dub itself was pretty good... except Hyuga.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, what do I watch to fill this Barakamon/Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mederlock posted:

Sweetness & Lightning just started, there's only two episodes so far though.

Non Non Byori maybe, it's feel good + cute kid.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mederlock posted:

Start watching Natsume Yuujinchou now so you're caught up for the new season in fall.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the wolf children, read everything in the dad thread, some of the honobono log episodes

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So am I right in understanding that the Evangelion episodes should preferable watched as Director's Cut?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 14, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Sweetness and Lightning definitely.

ufarn posted:

So am I right in understanding that the Evangelion episodes should preferable watched as Director's Cut?

Yes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ufarn posted:

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mederlock posted:

Consider reading Yotsuba&, though it's likely you already have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.

One of them has about 5-10 minutes of extra content, the other is nearly double the runtime of a regular episode.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mederlock posted:

...Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Read the manga.

Finish the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013