Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey the orange islands was actually one of the better early arcs of pokemon

I do not have the same hopes for try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I idly wonder if they don't want to (or cant) go write them going to the World Cup because it'd be retreading ground or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, I can't believe we're getting another series with frigging Try's cast and not BF's cast. :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they'll be good this time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe they'll be good this time

I would settle for Sekai actually doing cool martial art poo poo instead of just spamming his super moves.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

A roadmap of what we have to look forward to. Island Wars seems to be marked as a single OVA here, so who the hell knows what's going on there anymore.

If I'm reading it right, the line with MSG, Wing, and SEED is labeled 配信, or transmission. Those shows might be getting reruns?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm willing to watch Build Fighters: Johto Journeys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I'm willing to watch Build Fighters: Johto Journeys.

That's next season. These are Adventures in the Orange Islands.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just finished Build Fighters Ep. 15. What a great episode, what an awesome series. Also Ral is only 35 what the hell :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode 1 of Unicorn. I feel like I've been dropped into a weird episode of 08th MS Team. I've heard Kiki, Shiro and loving Michel all over the place. Also, I thought that Banagher was pronounced like Bannager, which I think sounds better.

Overall impressions are mixed. On one hand, fantastic art design, action and music. On the other hand, the story feels kind of pretentious, and Banagher's progression through the episode felt very scattershot and vaguely defined. Also, stop having fights inside colonies you assholes.

Also, they really aren't doing a good job of hiding who Audrey really is, and that's with me still working through Zeta Gundam. How many other orange haired teenagers are there in Gundam who are addressed as royalty and are associated with Zeon. It's Mineva.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 14, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That would be Fenice vs Star Build Strike, right?

Yeah, one of the series' high water marks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, I thought that Banagher was pronounced like Bannager, which I think sounds better.

I still pronounce it like Bannager regardless. Good Gundam names are rare enough as it is - they shouldn't be ruined by garbage pronunciation.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I am a non-native who has a decent grasp of English phonetics. What difference are you guys talking about?

Pureauthor posted:

That would be Fenice vs Star Build Strike, right?

Yeah, one of the series' high water marks.

Yup! I really like how they explained why Ferinni's Gunpla had so much battle damage and why he didn't bother to fix it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azran posted:

I am a non-native who has a decent grasp of English phonetics. What difference are you guys talking about?

Yup! I really like how they explained why Ferinni's Gunpla had so much battle damage and why he didn't bother to fix it.

It's Ban-argur versus Banna-jer. The former is the official pronunciation, the latter is the one they like.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I just called him Banana Links.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Banger Links, he's a British sausage.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Soredemo Binks works in my case.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Episode 1 of Unicorn. I feel like I've been dropped into a weird episode of 08th MS Team. I've heard Kiki, Shiro and loving Michel all over the place. Also, I thought that Banagher was pronounced like Bannager, which I think sounds better.

Overall impressions are mixed. On one hand, fantastic art design, action and music. On the other hand, the story feels kind of pretentious, and Banagher's progression through the episode felt very scattershot and vaguely defined. Also, stop having fights inside colonies you assholes.

Also, they really aren't doing a good job of hiding who Audrey really is, and that's with me still working through Zeta Gundam. How many other orange haired teenagers are there in Gundam who are addressed as royalty and are associated with Zeon. It's Mineva.

Those impressions will remain accurate throughout.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Audrey's identity isn't supposed to be a surprise to the audience. Her design is almost unchanged.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Behringer Links later moved on to create audio equipment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After sleeping on it, I think I understand why I was getting weird vibes from Unicorn. It's one of those shows that feels really self important, and therefore comes across as arrogant. This "race for the Laplace Box is the biggest thing ever!" kind of mentality renders the proceedings in this bizarre state of reverence for Gundam lore. That heavenly music that plays during the launch of the Unicorn isn't a coincidence. And they use that to cover up lots of really clunky dialogue. I'm thinking mostly about the head of the Vist foundation and his awkward turn into discussions on Newtypes. The whole speech is intercut with shots of the ReZels and the Kshatriya fighting it out through the colony, but the image and language don't mesh well at all. Vist is trying to make a point, but that point isn't relevant, the dialogue is just there to provide exposition for the three people who haven't seen a Gundam series about what happened in the past. The visuals however are making direct references to the beginning of 0079 and Zeta Gundam with the colony battle and civilian casualties. It's a scene that tries to look profound, but isn't. There are references to other Gundam works all throughout the episode, so it makes Vist's speech sound like the writers think the audience are morons.

I have to say, this show would definitely be improved by a narrator providing context ala "it is the year 0079 of the Universal Century."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I really hate the word and it's usage but yeah, "pretentious" is absolutely 100% the word to describe unicorn. It's a show that pretends to be profound and meaningful and important but is anything but.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am 31 episodes into Victory Gundam and nothing feels like it has improved or changed anyone's situation since the first episode

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Baal posted:

I am 31 episodes into Victory Gundam and nothing feels like it has improved or changed anyone's situation since the first episode

Now that's not true. A lot of people died for barely anything!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unicorn Episode 2. Oh gently caress me, Full Frontal is freaking Nazeem from Skyrim. Keith Silverstein! And Richard Epcar as Daguza, and Yuri Lowenthal as Riddhe. And Liam O'Brien. First episode was a bunch of 08th MS team voice actors in the background, now it's a Bethesda Game cast in the foreground.

An improvement over the first episode. It still has the attitude issue I mentioned prevalent through the whole thing, and still has that awkward exposition crossed with visuals that don't add up. Marida's talk about Zeon philosophy while the ECOAS teams move into place this time around. Much as I make fun of Silverstein's voice acting, he does a good job as Full Frontal, and I find the character interesting. He's certainly gotten better with his Char voice for The Origin OVAs, which sounds a lot closer to Michael Kopsa's take.

Banagher on the other hand I'm still not sold on. It feels like he's the protagonist because he is a teenager orphan space colonist whose dad built the super prototype, because that hasn't been done before. It's tradition for tradition's sake, but I still can't get a handle on his character the way I immediately could with Amuro or Kamille. Amuro is forced into combat by circumstance, while Kamille hijacking a suit was an extension of his anger issues stemming from his rough home life with his deadbeat dad and emotionally distant mother. But Banagher just immediately turns out to be the secret bastard son of the head of a foundation that just so happens to be responsible for the whole mess in the first place, and then is told "no my son, you are the chosen one!" and handed the keys to a war machine, which activates his newtype potential on his first sortie. It took thirty episodes before Amuro started getting hints of his psychic abilities, but Banagher just activates the psychoframe like it was nothing.

He doesn't even seem to have a character arc. He's still spouting the same antiwar rhetoric and destiny to be with Audrey/Mineva crap without anything to back it up. Because they never established his character before they gave him a soapbox to stand on and start telling people off for not conforming to his worldview. That being said, I did like the scene where he debated with his house arrest family about the nature of warfare. That was a clever way to sidetrack Zeon fetishism by allowing a Feddie and a Zeke to have a discussion without guns involved. It also fit with Full Frontal trying to show how superior Zeon ideology is to the Federation by basically bribing Banagher with propaganda. But it never tells the audience to endorse what Zeon promotes, because they are ultimately the bad guys in every series. Its just a shame they couldn't have someone with more history to them that might color their worldview involved in the discussion than Banagher. Hell, put Shiro Amada in there, considering he became an antiwar hippie, but at least he had an arc and a motivation beyond "I need to protect this girl I just met and fight without killing because Newtype!"

Speaking of Mineva, I am rather annoyed at how her personality shifts when she's talking to Banagher versus her political voice. When she's talking politics, she rocks and is great at verbal sparring. But Banagher crashes the bridge in the middle of negotiations, and suddenly she becomes a wet blanket. If they made it so she only lets her guard down in private, I'd accept that, but it seems she only lets her guard down when Banagher is involved, even if it's a situation where she needs to be on the top of her game. It'll be interesting to see where she goes with Riddhe, who actually does have some backstory to him (growing up during and in the immediate aftermath of the greatest catastrophe in the history of mankind tends to leave an impact on the psyche). At this point, I'd prefer he be the protagonist. He's certainly got more chemistry with Mineva by presenting opposing ideologies.

The dialogue is still overwrought. 0079 doesn't have a lot in the way of long, complex speeches, and instead has mostly perfunctory dialogue to move the plot along, with exceptions like Kai injecting personality into their lines. Zeta Gundam, from what I've watched, is a significant improvement in that regard. There's a lot more meat to the dialogue in that show, and it doesn't come off as forced. I love the interactions between Kamille and Quattro, they have a really great mentor/protege dynamic going on and they play off each other wonderfully. There are elements of that with Full Frontal and Mineva, but there's also a lot of posturing and soapboxing going on that don't feel like real conversations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now that's not true. A lot of people died for barely anything!

The WWI of the Universal Century.

Edit: Banagher has no personality. It's a thing I ranted about earlier. He literally does not exist outside of the plot. He gets no character defining moment to set up who he is in any way.

The LN protagonist of Gundam.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 15, 2016

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Banagher is a black hole of a character. The other very good characters tend to get actively worse when they interact with him then return to normal when they've exited his gravitational pull. Riddhe, Full Frontal, and the spectacular visuals and music carry the show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Know what is weird in Victory Gundam?

That whole colony that literally went Nazi. I'm not talking turning Zeon, I mean they pretty much said 'gently caress this lets be exactly like nazis!'.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Conversely, Unicorn (OVA) is good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Szmitten posted:

Conversely, Unicorn (OVA) is good.

But not great, from what I've watched so far

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's tradition for tradition's sake

There is a lot of Unicorn that this covers.

In the original when Banagher bursts on to the bridge and is all "let's go Audrey" and she pulls her hand away from him she's super firm that she has no time for his poo poo right now and it's one of my favourite parts of the entirety of Unicorn. And then by the end of the episode (or the next one) she's switched to being super concerned in love with him and I hate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EthanSteele posted:

There is a lot of Unicorn that this covers.

In the original when Banagher bursts on to the bridge and is all "let's go Audrey" and she pulls her hand away from him she's super firm that she has no time for his poo poo right now and it's one of my favourite parts of the entirety of Unicorn. And then by the end of the episode (or the next one) she's switched to being super concerned in love with him and I hate it.

Original as in the novel? Speaking of how does unicorn the ova compare to the original story?

Also, why do the japanese pronounce Burnen like Vernier?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 15, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's Ban-argur versus Banna-jer. The former is the official pronunciation, the latter is the one they like.

Oh :lol: Yeah, I've always used the second one, I didn't knew the first one was the official one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, why do the japanese pronounce Burnen like Vernier?

Because that's what they're called in real life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Because that's what they're called in real life.

I get that, just why the bizarre wording? Apart from "it's anime"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I get that, just why the bizarre wording? Apart from "it's anime"

I always wrote it off as a mistake. It might be an intentional linguistic corruption thing to reflect the far future setting since that's a thing with people's names and all... but it's probably just a mistake.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Banagher has no personality.

He has a pretty well-defined personality, it's just incredibly one-note.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon-Lime posted:

He has a pretty well-defined personality, it's just incredibly one-note.

He's defined as being the living conduit of "War is Bad, mm'kay?" and that's all there is to him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really don't think its fair to have a Zaku that big and I feel like the chairman may be a real jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Baal posted:

Victory is a long and grinding war between a faction of Space Assholes who make Gihren's Zeon look stable and sane and a scrappy band of barely functional guerillas who are desperately attempting to hold back a drastically superior invasion force. It doesn't really get better for anyone until the end.