Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

The Joe Man posted:

Five straight 1st place wins in a row - still Silver 4:

How many losses in a row before this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Crimson posted:

Nades. Smoke em out. Flashes to push them out of position and push. Learn how to pop flash, because often times just chucking a random flash in their direction won't do much good.

Is there a big list of pop flash spots like the smoke grenade thing in the OP? Google is only turning up a few guides for specific maps and pimple popping advice.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Not really popflashes, and these don't have all of them by any means, but:

http://www.thewarmup.net/ (click the flashbang at the top on each map)
http://operationl2p.com/

surc fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 13, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Is there a big list of pop flash spots like the smoke grenade thing in the OP? Google is only turning up a few guides for specific maps and pimple popping advice.

The only kind of pop flashing you would ever need to look up is non-bounce flashes for your teammates. Probably one of the most advanced things in CS, enough that the chances are you'll never ever need them. To learn how to pop flash yourself, just get used to how far your right click throws, jump right click throws and left + right click throws will go and just practice. There's no real need for a guide because you can do it literally anywhere on the map.

Good spots on the most common maps are the end of B apps and A ramp on mirage, A main and chequers on cache, over A long and into short on d2 (all as CT).

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

widunder posted:

Hi,

I haven't done any desktop gaming for almost a decade. I recently got to play some GO and CS 1.6 at a friend's house and had a blast.

The last time I played CS at home I had a Half-Life CD and the CS mod installed (which I think was version 1.3 at the time). These days I'm on a Mac. Since the Mac gaming thread is archived I thought I'd ask here: will the CS games (1.6, Source, GO etc) that seem to be available for Mac on Steam will be compatible across platforms online, ie will I be able to play against other people who are on a PC platform?

E: seems that GO works as per Wikipedia

you can play against people on pcs on a mac, but you really cannot play cs on a mac. the client is dogshit on non-windows platforms (though linux might have gotten better since the last time i checked)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Jeza posted:

The only kind of pop flashing you would ever need to look up is non-bounce flashes for your teammates. Probably one of the most advanced things in CS, enough that the chances are you'll never ever need them. To learn how to pop flash yourself, just get used to how far your right click throws, jump right click throws and left + right click throws will go and just practice. There's no real need for a guide because you can do it literally anywhere on the map.

Good spots on the most common maps are the end of B apps and A ramp on mirage, A main and chequers on cache, over A long and into short on d2 (all as CT).

I suck as a T throwing a flash coming out of T Spawn into B main to flash the awper either under heaven or in cheackers.. I miss it all the time, but when I am CT the person hits it every time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Thanks for the flash advice. I'm hoping it'll make site entries a little easier.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
god, please strike me down immediately, i do not want to continue in this world of memes

http://www.eslgaming.com/article/mtn-dew-and-esea-provide-path-esl-csgo-pro-league-mdl-3010

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

fyallm posted:

I suck as a T throwing a flash coming out of T Spawn into B main to flash the awper either under heaven or in cheackers.. I miss it all the time, but when I am CT the person hits it every time.

make an offline game and practice it until you can throw it reliably.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Demostrs posted:

god, please strike me down immediately, i do not want to continue in this world of memes

http://www.eslgaming.com/article/mtn-dew-and-esea-provide-path-esl-csgo-pro-league-mdl-3010

"So I found this new soda..."

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

make an offline game and practice it until you can throw it reliably.

That requires me to have a friend tell me if I flashed him or not :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

fyallm posted:

That requires me to have a friend tell me if I flashed him or not :(

type in sv_grenade_trajectory 1 in console and you'll see its path and where it pops

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

type in sv_grenade_trajectory 1 in console and you'll see its path and where it pops

w00 h00, thanks! I knew I didn't need friends!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Demostrs posted:

Oh God, I thought this was just a fluff piece when I saw it on the subreddit. :smithicide:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So who is going step up and lead SA internet top team to victory in the dew league

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

So who is going step up and lead SA internet top team to victory in the dew league

It's me and actually Randy

Gonna do the dew

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Incoming drama!

quote:

In 2011, we added a feature to Steam that enabled users to trade in-game items as a way to make it easier for people to get the items they wanted in games featuring in-game economies.

Since then a number of gambling sites started leveraging the Steam trading system, and there’s been some false assumptions about our involvement with these sites. We’d like to clarify that we have no business relationships with any of these sites. We have never received any revenue from them. And Steam does not have a system for turning in-game items into real world currency.

These sites have basically pieced together their operations in two-part fashion. First, they are using the OpenID API as a way for users to prove ownership of their Steam accounts and items. Any other information they obtain about a user's Steam account is either manually disclosed by the user or obtained from the user’s Steam Community profile (when the user has chosen to make their profile public). Second, they create automated Steam accounts that make the same web calls as individual Steam users.

Using the OpenID API and making the same web calls as Steam users to run a gambling business is not allowed by our API nor our user agreements. We are going to start sending notices to these sites requesting they cease operations through Steam, and further pursue the matter as necessary. Users should probably consider this information as they manage their in-game item inventory and trade activity.

-Erik Johnson

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
RIP skins http://store.steampowered.com/news/22883/

efb

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

the great circumcision of 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gambling CSGO skins was dumb anyways.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
^ Yes, but. Now the games is going to lose a bunch of children. Wait.....this is perfect!

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Going to laugh in a few days when people try to withdraw their skins and the sites don't have anything left to give them, or just vanish into the night with whatever they have on their bots.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It sounds like the main issue is automation. I mean if they're going to say they didn't make money from it anyway. Just make the gamblers transfer their items manually and prevent them from playing again until they take care of pending transfers.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Elsa posted:

It sounds like the main issue is automation. I mean if they're going to say they didn't make money from it anyway. Just make the gamblers transfer their items manually and prevent them from playing again until they take care of pending transfers.

Yes, but the automation is what makes it possible on a large scale. There aren't enough bookies in the world to fulfill all the 4 cent skin bets, but bots are happy to take them.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Skin market about to tank :getin:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Thorgot posted:

Yes, but the automation is what makes it possible on a large scale. There aren't enough bookies in the world to fulfill all the 4 cent skin bets, but bots are happy to take them.

That's the bottleneck, yeah, but with real money floating around there's still an incentive especially for the higher value stuff.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Elsa posted:

That's the bottleneck, yeah, but with real money floating around there's still an incentive especially for the higher value stuff.

It's going to kill volume, which in turn will kill prices

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

The immense pressure to regulate this or some third party must be forcing Valve to punch themselves in the balls here. As a business they wouldn't want to take down the gambling sites, because they still indirectly make money by them being around. I can't imagine they would be any stricter than they have to here and start taking out things like OPSkins.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

sleppy posted:

The immense pressure to regulate this or some third party must be forcing Valve to punch themselves in the balls here. As a business they wouldn't want to take down the gambling sites, because they still indirectly make money by them being around. I can't imagine they would be any stricter than they have to here and start taking out things like OPSkins.

It is probably be the most recent scandal getting press combined with the first few lawsuits against them. These lawsuits are pretty silly and won't go anywhere, but if allowed to continue unchecked it's only a matter of time before a government regulator or prosecutor decides it is worth their time to really pursue.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So are we all in general agreement that Valve should be aiming at RNG based gambling sites and leaving betting sites and skin sales sites alone? Betting hasn't really been too scandalous in the past year or so, there hasn't even been a really notable DDoS situation in a long time.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Famethrowa posted:

It's going to kill volume, which in turn will kill prices

it would be pretty great if perceived value increases due to effort.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

mcvey posted:

SELL SELL SELL

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Well I'm expecting to see a flood of Well-Worn asiimovs and random betting fodder like that. I am a CS:GO economist.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Famethrowa posted:

Skin market about to tank :getin:

what can i get for 11 cents

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

IM OUT BOYS.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Photex posted:

So are we all in general agreement that Valve should be aiming at RNG based gambling sites and leaving betting sites and skin sales sites alone? Betting hasn't really been too scandalous in the past year or so, there hasn't even been a really notable DDoS situation in a long time.

agreed but skins will still die and therefore betting will probably die off a lot too

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

exethan posted:

agreed but skins will still die and therefore betting will probably die off a lot too

honestly I am just worried about CSGO as an esport, betting was a huge part of that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Photex posted:

honestly I am just worried about CSGO as an esport, betting was a huge part of that.

Eh, maybe tier 2-3 tournaments will see a drop in viewing due to betting, but I think the big name tournaments will stay pretty consistent.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Eh, maybe tier 2-3 tournaments will see a drop in viewing due to betting, but I think the big name tournaments will stay pretty consistent.

Really? because the major just had a massive decline in viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thank you overwatch for killing this game. Now lets recreate it in our image.