Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Zurui posted:

Cross-post from the Boardgame thread:

I love the concept but the "close up of eyes" art style is really turning me off.

The hospital goal and at-cost army donations are a really awesome bonus thing. I'd be thrilled to see more crowdfunding projects to include humanitarian goals like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zurui posted:

I love the concept but the "close up of eyes" art style is really turning me off.

I think my issue with the artistic design is that it doesn't really evoke anything. Like, if you see a Charmander, chances are you can probably guess it does something resembling a fire attack. If I see a Charmander eye, that doesn't really help me remember what the hell it does because it's a loving eye without the context of the rest of it. You also lose a good bit of lore in artwork, which I wouldn't mind as much if the things didn't have subnames like "The Living Arsenal" or "The Towering Death." Show me something that deserves a name like that! When MTG gives something the epithet "The Aeons Torn," it provides artwork that at least gives a "what the gently caress is that" sort of feeling to it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

NTRabbit posted:

If they're broadly compatible with any of the Dwarven Forge sets, but at a bonesium fraction of the price, these things are going to catch fire.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69716-secret-weapon-tablescapes-dungeons-mines/

Has preproduction samples next to DF stuff

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Looks like Goodman Games massively hosed up the add-ons from the DCC campaign last year. I got none of the right stuff, people on the Kickstarter are saying they got 10 copies of one thing and none of the stuff they wanted.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

Looks like Goodman Games massively hosed up the add-ons from the DCC campaign last year. I got none of the right stuff, people on the Kickstarter are saying they got 10 copies of one thing and none of the stuff they wanted.
Dude every step of this Kickstarter has been a poo poo show. Remember the problems with PDF fulfillment?

I had PDF issues, issues with my softcover order, and now only got 2/3 of my add ons (with one more expensive version of one I ordered.) So I'm 0/3 and reconsidering my MCC pledge.

Backerkit, people. Backerkit.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah originally i didn't get the complaining about no backerkit because I don't do many kickstarters with add-ons, but this was a definite case where they should've used it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

Yeah originally i didn't get the complaining about no backerkit because I don't do many kickstarters with add-ons, but this was a definite case where they should've used it.
It certainly seems like backerkit would have saved them a lot of money so far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Maybe he should have spent more time getting his ducks in a row and less time fantasizing about burning 4E books in effigy.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

It certainly seems like backerkit would have saved them a lot of money so far.
MCC update 11 says they'll be using BackerKit, so I guess they learned their lesson.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

g0del posted:

MCC update 11 says they'll be using BackerKit, so I guess they learned their lesson.
I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah, I can only imagine the headaches they are having over there.

Don't get me wrong - they've made right by me on both previous occasions and I have no doubt they will this time, too. But this is a constant stream of fulfillment cock-ups that has to be costing them unimaginable money and time, probably all because some bozo decided Excel was a database and screwed up sorting and/or row alignment.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Most of Goodman's previous kickstarters have been minor in comparison, so hopefully this is their wakeup call that the cut Backerkit or Pledge Manager take are worth it, especially on massively successful kickstarters. Can you imagine the shitshow if John Wick decided to forgo it for 7th Sea 2e?

MCC using it seems to indicate that this is the case. Of course if they had used one of them from the beginning, they might not have sent me paypal shipping invoices for Chained Coffin, Purple Planet, Monster Alphabet and 50 Fantastic Functions when I added additional money to each pledge for that reason. To their credit, they fixed the error each time but it's still annoying that it happened repeatedly. I didn't get any extras and opted not to get the softcover so hopefully the errors will be ironed out by the time my stuff is sent out.

I wonder who's actively running the MCC KS... Is it Goodman or MCC creator Jim Wampler?

g0del, have you had that avatar/title since 2004?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 8, 2016

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Yeah, I can only imagine the headaches they are having over there.

Don't get me wrong - they've made right by me on both previous occasions and I have no doubt they will this time, too. But this is a constant stream of fulfillment cock-ups that has to be costing them unimaginable money and time, probably all because some bozo decided Excel was a database and screwed up sorting and/or row alignment.
Yeah, all the product that got sent to the wrong person is essentially lost - they can ask nicely for people to send it back, but can't legally get it back or charge for it.

Lightning Lord posted:

g0del, have you had that avatar/title since 2004?
Has it really been that long? Thank you for that reminder of how much of my life I've wasted on a comedy forum :suicide:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
For some reason I checked the Alas Vegas updates today and Wallis still hasn't posted anything since last November. There are several (dozen?) posts asking for money back, which seem to be going unanswered. Good designer or not, this is just terrible management and customer service, and I really hope people in the industry takes note, because drat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I checked my email and received a welcome surprise in the form of the pre-release version of Mononoke Koyake for GSS.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So did anyone here back Mongoose Paranoia? I saw the pre-release was out. How's the game? As poo poo as it looked?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brad Talton of Level 99 Games (BattleCON, Millennium Blades, Argent) posted a pretty interesting look at what's been going on in the company:

quote:

We've done a lot of great games in the past few years–tons of Pixel Tactics and BattleCON, and more recently EXCEED and Millennium Blades, it's been a lot of fun to design and work on all these things, but Millennium Blades has been the most interesting development cycle to be a part of, because we were able to integrate so many novel mechanisms and play styles into a complete project. It's my first large traditional-styled board game (since Argent isn't my own design), and I greatly enjoyed making it.

Building a game over two years, with a large art budget, a dedicated artist, and a regular group of playtesters was a really fun experience. By contrast, juggling the development for 4 different Pixel Tactics games, or the 4 expansions for BattleCON, or handling the rigors of running a warehouse and an online store–I haven't enjoyed those parts of the business so much.

At the end of last year, we had our own warehouse and 6 full-time in-house staff members. I spent most of my days coordinating and making sure everyone stayed busy, reviewing work, and doing a little bit of game design. Most of the design and development was done by the staff, with me just giving final approvals.

All that didn't work out in the end, and expenses for such a big group of people became unreasonable for a company the size of Level 99. Even with 6 people full-time, we couldn't race out releases fast enough to keep that business model going, and I think a few of our last-year releases suffered from trying to do too much at once. In the end, we had to shut the warehouse down and let go of most of the staff, and the whole experience was pretty stressful.

Now, I'm back to working from my home office again, with just Josh (Ithry) coming in during the weekdays to help out and do graphic design and customer service, and Chad and Reagan coming in part time to work on BattleCON Online. I get up and walk to breakfast and write game designs for about two hours, come home and design a prototype or review some cards and handle the coordination of releases during the day, then do two or three hours of playtesting in the late afternoon. It's a good pace, and I get to work hands-on with the games I'm making, being involved at each part of the process.

Two years ago, I thought that as a business-person it was my duty to expand the company to keep up with the success of BattleCON and Pixel Tactics. After all the ordeals of last year though, I've come to see the error of that line of thinking. I understand now that living well is about finding the thing you love to do and making that the center of your work, and doing it to the best and fullest of your ability. After all my experiences in this industry, I've decided that my place is in design–and that I don't make a very good supervisor either. XD

I'd rather be making games myself than watching other people make them, and the success of Millennium Blades has shown me that we can invest a lot into a novel big idea and make that work in a bigger way than I thought possible. While I still plan to support our favorite lines of games like BattleCON, Pixel Tactics, and EXCEED with yearly releases, I'm going to focus a lot of my energy on building another big-box game like Millennium Blades for the coming year of 2017, and I'm going to focus on making each one of our recurring releases unique and special as well, rather than just another link in the chain.

I'm already working on some new and exciting mechanics for our next big box game, and, as with Millennium Blades, I hope to bring you an experience next year that you can't find anywhere else in tabletop or video gaming! Look forward to it! :D

They make some pretty great games that gets into some interesting design space, so I'm hoping they find a good place to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Brad Talton of Level 99 Games (BattleCON, Millennium Blades, Argent) posted a pretty interesting look at what's been going on in the company:

They make some pretty great games that gets into some interesting design space, so I'm hoping they find a good place to be.

It definitely sounds like he overexpanded without the experience to handle the load. It happens and is a bit unfortunate.

In actual Kickstarters, here's a game that's being ported/modified from a Chinese/Taiwanese game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/overseers?ref=category

Originally called ChengHuang, it's being translated and ported to the rest of the world with rules updates and released as Overseers (the literal translation I believe and could probably also be better interpreted as Guardian or Protector). The big red flags are the company doing the Kickstarter. A: This is their fist Kickstarter. B: This is the company's first game.

As for the game itself, it's basically a drafting game with a bluffing aspect. After everyone's drafted five cards (and discarded their last card), everyone reveals three of their cards and everyone votes on who they think has the best five cards. The person voted with the best hand has to either agree or disagree. Agreeing means they discard two cards of their choice before revealing. Everyone then reveals. If the voted person did have the best hand, they discard the two highest scoring cards. If they didn't they get a free card from the discard. Everyone gets their points and a new round begins. There's also player powers (whose cards are a bit fanservicey are from the original afaict) and cards that can steal other cards which can affect the showdown scoring or final scoring.

there's already 10 days left and they've hit five times their base goal of roughly $10,000 USD (it's priced in Euros). At first glance, the game seems interesting, but the character powers (based on the ones seen in the rulebook) and the consequences of the bluffing aspect give me a bit of pause.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

This is looking really good, a remake of TSR's Battle of Britain:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-britain

I saw these guys demonstrating it live and it looks like a good time. I'm on the fence about backing right this minute because I'm a bit poor but £50 seems a good price.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I saw these guys demonstrating it live and it looks like a good time. I'm on the fence about backing right this minute because I'm a bit poor but £50 seems a good price.

Richard Borg. If I was a wargamer and buying anything right now, I'd be sold.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned 'GIGA-ROBO!' already, even if just to tear into it for not simulating a giant anime robot fight well enough (if that's actually the case).

Or maybe someone did mention it and I'm actually legally blind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A stretch goal add-on should be a 9 x 6 foot board, and long sticks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hahaha holy poo poo, second update: spitfire minis to be replaced with hurricanes, the real workhorse of the RAF

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The_Doctor posted:

A stretch goal add-on should be a 9 x 6 foot board, and long sticks.

quote:

GBP 45,000 - 2 x mini croupier sticks, like they used in the Fighter Control rooms in 1940! [KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE]

:retrogames:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I think I've just found my second Kickstarter to back. And it's from Plastic Soldier Company, the non-Russian maker of lower priced, but finely detailed 15mm WWII plastics, so quality is going to be decent.

Xelkelvos posted:

In actual Kickstarters, here's a game that's being ported/modified from a Chinese/Taiwanese game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/overseers?ref=category

I don't know if I should back this or just download the rules (available for free on the Kickstarter :D) and source a copy of the game here in, well, Taiwan.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

well I backed it (Battle of Britain) since the early bird tier is being snapped up and I'd probably get round to it eventually anyway

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jedit posted:

Richard Borg. If I was a wargamer and buying anything right now, I'd be sold.

Read that as "Richard Bong" at first and wondered what the leading US ace of WW2 had to do with the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Read that as "Richard Bong" at first and wondered what the leading US ace of WW2 had to do with the game.

Well, that gives a whole new meaning to "Aces high", doesn't it?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The fact that there is a Bong road on nearly every AFB is the source of endless teenage laughter.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Seems like whoever controls the Walking Dead license is shooting for some kind of survival of the fittest method to determine market dominance. Mantic has the advantage of starting earlier and sure, the focus of their game is more PVP than cooperative, but drat that's gotta suck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would explain why Mantic's contract was strictly the comic books. Wasn't Cryptozoic's Ghist Buster games kind of garbage though?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Everything Cryptozoic has produced has been some degree of garbage.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Wasn't Cryptozoic's Ghist Buster games kind of garbage though?

Cryptozoic's games have generally been no-effort licensed garbage, or "very casual" type stuff (eg. Deul at Skullzfire Mountain) - but they seem to be using different designers than usual here (specifically, Brady and Adam Sandler, who are X-WANG/Descent people).

That's no guarantee this won't be hot garbage, but it's reason to expect something different than Cryptozoic's norm.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Would explain why Mantic's contract was strictly the comic books.

Correct, CZE has had the license to the AMC show for years. Just been a while since they're used it.

I've play tested early versions of the No Sanctuary game and while I'm not a huge fan of co-ops, I can say that it was pretty decent at its early stages (if a bit long), so I'd imagine that it's more finalized state is likely pretty good. At the end of the day though, if you're not a huge TWD fan, it still may not be something that really resonates with you.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Scyther posted:

Everything Cryptozoic has produced has been some degree of garbage.

Except Hex, which is amazing. And people swear by the WoW TCG back in the day. But that doesn't really say anything about their boardgames.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

malkav11 posted:

Except Hex, which is amazing
Good or bad as Hex may be, that's not exactly something you hold up for their game design chops

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Except Hex, which is amazing.

It was even more amazing when it first came out in 1993.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

It was even more amazing when it first came out in 1993.

C'mon, you're not even trying. Magic was actually garbage in '93. :P

Similarities to MtG aside, Hex is pretty loving great, and if you haven't looked at it since it's Kickstarter 3+ years ago I'd recommend it. It's changed a lot, and offers a lot more of an experience than MODO, even if core game play is similar.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Good or bad as Hex may be, that's not exactly something you hold up for their game design chops

I certainly would. It's got plenty of original ideas and the overall design is better than many other TCGs I've played. Yes, it's inspired by Magic - like, you know, the entire genre, albeit a bit more directly than many - but it's not Magic. And frankly, I think it's better.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Merauder posted:

C'mon, you're not even trying. Magic was actually garbage in '93. :P

Similarities to MtG aside, Hex is pretty loving great, and if you haven't looked at it since it's Kickstarter 3+ years ago I'd recommend it. It's changed a lot, and offers a lot more of an experience than MODO, even if core game play is similar.

do I still have to use gameforge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GrandpaPants posted:

The Millennium Blades reprint Kickstarter is up. There are no edition changes, even though a few cards do need some errata, and there are a couple mini expansions for people who already have stuff. The game is really, really fun and is apparently sold out, so this at least guarantees you a copy.

Thank you for posting this. I would never have seen this and missed out.