Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Meanwhile places like Arlington Cemetery and the Holocaust Museum are politely suggesting that they aren't appropriate places for chasing after pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I wish I would have bought some Nintendo stock before this thing came out. They added 7.5 billion to the market share.

I came home yesterday and found out my 3 out of 4 kids are excited about this stuff. My 15 year old doesn't care because she's too old for it. Other kids are younger, so I'll give them a pass.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Meanwhile places like Arlington Cemetery and the Holocaust Museum are politely suggesting that they aren't appropriate places for chasing after pokemon.

Where the gently caress else are you going to get ghost types?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

xthetenth posted:

Where the gently caress else are you going to get ghost types?

9/11 Memorial and Pearl Harbor

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Idiots: Jeep.

As if leaving casting sand in the engine blocks of thousands of vehicles wasn't dumb enough, nor using plastic sides on the radiators so they not only get clogged by sand but crack easily and leak, just to replace the front speakers requires the removal of the entire dashboard. I was planning on changing the speakers this afternoon, but after looking at the procedure I'm just going to wait until I'm replacing the radiator and heater core since the interior has to be gutted anyway.

Other idiot: Me, for buying a goddamned Jeep made after 2006.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Knowing the japanese there is already a ton of hunting going on at the Arizona memorial. I was actually surprised at the joking and selfies when I went years ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

As if leaving casting sand in the engine blocks of thousands of vehicles wasn't dumb enough, nor using plastic sides on the radiators so they not only get clogged by sand but crack easily and leak, just to replace the front speakers requires the removal of the entire dashboard. I was planning on changing the speakers this afternoon, but after looking at the procedure I'm just going to wait until I'm replacing the radiator and heater core since the interior has to be gutted anyway.

Jesus. I'm in the middle of some electronics upgrades on mine and removing the entire dash would suuuuuuuuck. I got a trim tool kit so I wouldn't break the pieces I did have to pull out of the dash.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

Knowing the japanese there is already a ton of hunting going on at the Arizona memorial. I was actually surprised at the joking and selfies when I went years ago.

It was their one win against us that wasn't highly phyrric in outcome. Let them enjoy it a little

Plus when I went to Hiroshima I kept pointing out smiling people and saying "looks like they still know how to have a blast here"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Booblord Zagats posted:

It was their one win against us that wasn't highly phyrric in outcome. Let them enjoy it a little

Plus when I went to Hiroshima I kept pointing out smiling people and saying "looks like they still know how to have a blast here"

:lol:

Hiroshima was really cool, no lie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol:

Hiroshima was really cool, no lie.

Nagasaki is a rad city too, but holy gently caress so many mainland Chinese tourists I thought I was back in Vancouver.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Didn't a recall-worthy problem on a Jeep kill Anton Yelchin?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

chitoryu12 posted:

Didn't a recall-worthy problem on a Jeep kill Anton Yelchin?

The problem was the same problem as the Tesla autopilot death: people didn't read the manual.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

People blaming a funky automatic gear selector. How do you gently caress up operating that, or not putting on a parking brake.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

People blaming a funky automatic gear selector. How do you gently caress up operating that, or not putting on a parking brake.

If you have to make a five minute video explaining how to operate a "funky automatic gear selector" then it's probably loving unnecessary.

Edit: okay, it's just under 3 minutes, but seriously watch this stupid poo poo

https://youtu.be/SUWVYrpd-3g

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Here's the article. Jeep did recall the model.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
that shift lever design is loving stupid.

There's a reason that physical distinction is a thing in any sound HMI design process.

The best part is that I don't think that design even does anything better than a "normal" shifter, it's a textbook case of solution in search of a problem/we change it because it's ttttthhhheeeeee fuuuuuuuutttuuuuurrreeee

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

According to the article, the fix doesn't actually make the selector lever useful. It just automatically forces the vehicle into park when the seatbelt is taken off, the door is opened, and the vehicle is stopped or moving slowly enough.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Is that the same one as in the charger? It looks like it. It takes you all of one go to say "oh, hey, that's a bit different, maybe I should keep that in mind". Alternatively "something mildly different is completely dangerous to someone like me, so I should probably not buy this particular vehicle after taking it for a test drive".

And plan C: put the goddamn e brake on, holy poo poo.

And its still just an auto transmission, you can tell easily if a vehicle is out of a driving gear, when, you know, it doesn't roll forward when you take your foot of the brake and you feel the tension go out of the drive line.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i think if a guy has time to get out of a vehicle on a steep enough slope and get far enough in front of it that the car suddenly rolling crushes him to death, it's not as obvious as it should or needs to be.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Next Star Trek needs a scene where the Enterprise gets pulled in to a gas giant because the helmsman thought he had turn impulse power off

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

put the goddamn e brake on, holy poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i think if a guy has time to get out of a vehicle on a steep enough slope and get far enough in front of it that the car suddenly rolling crushes him to death, it's not as obvious as it should or needs to be.

I'm wondering how much of the gear change is computerized. Like when you put the car in park, does the computer just lock the brakes and you hope that a glitch doesn't cause them to disengage?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
E. Brakes aren't exactly common knowledge unfortunately. If all you've driven are automatics and never parked on an incline you might have no idea what that pedal/lever is for. A good prank to do on someone if you drive their car is to set the emergency brake and see what they do.

Also holy poo poo that Jeep shifter is stupid.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
I thought it was common sense to engage the e-brake when parking on a hill.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lazy Reservist posted:

I thought it was common sense to engage the e-brake when parking

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

E. Brakes aren't exactly common knowledge unfortunately. If all you've driven are automatics and never parked on an incline you might have no idea what that pedal/lever is for. A good prank to do on someone if you drive their car is to set the emergency brake and see what they do.

Also holy poo poo that Jeep shifter is stupid.

I've always owned automatics and my procedure is always neutral-ebrake-park-key.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Lazy Reservist posted:

I thought it was common sense to engage the e-brake when parking on a hill.

I've learned people are retarded when it comes to parking. I was an a traffic appeals board for awhile and we'd have people come in to dispute a ticket because they had their tires on the line and didn't understand that you were supposed to be inside the lines.

And last year, some lady didn't put her car in park, then for some reason she got out and went to the front of the car. The car then decided to roll on top of her and then stop. She ended up taking awhile to die from the car pressing down on her, making it hard to breath.

I guess cars, like dogs, sometimes decide to revert to their primal, undomesticated ways since this type of incident isn't new http://wncn.com/2016/05/31/woman-run-over-by-her-own-car-at-mcdonalds-drive-thru/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've always owned automatics and my procedure is always neutral-ebrake-park-key.

you realize that you're an edgecase right?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Wait what? The E-brake is just the hand brake right? Do Americans seriously not use it?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Splode posted:

Wait what? The E-brake is just the hand brake right? Do Americans seriously not use it?

Took 3 months of arguing to get my GF to finally start.

Her mom then asked her a few days later why she was doing it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

next they'll be wondering why you angle your wheels towards the kerb on a slope

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Splode posted:

only on steep grades

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Two Finger posted:

next they'll be wondering why you angle your wheels towards the kerb on a slope

We live in the mountains, the amount of people who put all their trust in the Letter P on the shifter is astoundingly high

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Next Star Trek needs a scene where the Enterprise gets pulled in to a gas giant because the helmsman thought he had turn impulse power off

Might as well, they already showed Sulu leaving the parking brake on.

If only Chekov had followed suit.

Edit:

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm wondering how much of the gear change is computerized. Like when you put the car in park, does the computer just lock the brakes and you hope that a glitch doesn't cause them to disengage?

There's a wedge of metal called the parking pawl that's shoved in the teeth on a gear inside the transmission. That's the difference between park and neutral, and why every once in a while you see a car that's had a transmission failure just roll out of the driveway. Pawls aren't invincible, especially if you routinely let it hold the weight of the vehicle on a hill. Letting the car roll a few inches until it hits the pawl, and then when the pawl has to be yanked out under pressure when you put it in gear next time (which you can often hear and feel) causes wear.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 13, 2016

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Splode posted:

Much to my utter horror, almost everyone, almost never.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

not caring here posted:

Is that the same one as in the charger? It looks like it. It takes you all of one go to say "oh, hey, that's a bit different, maybe I should keep that in mind". Alternatively "something mildly different is completely dangerous to someone like me, so I should probably not buy this particular vehicle after taking it for a test drive".

And plan C: put the goddamn e brake on, holy poo poo.

And its still just an auto transmission, you can tell easily if a vehicle is out of a driving gear, when, you know, it doesn't roll forward when you take your foot of the brake and you feel the tension go out of the drive line.

all valid points...but it doesn't change the fact that the new lovely design doesn't actually do anything better or more effectively than a normal shifter, it's literally "we're going to do things different because it's ~the future~"

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
All this talk about trannies is bound to trigger someone.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Lazy Reservist posted:

All this talk about trannies is bound to trigger someone.

a dodge owner

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

Much to my utter horror, almost everyone, almost never.

I'm one of those people unless I'm on an incline or driving stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Splode posted:

It's not necessarily a handbrake, an enormous number of them are a kind of unintuitive pedal to engage and a hand latch under the dashboard to disengage. I've only really seen people use them if they're used to driving a manual, to a lot of people they're probably the goofy kickstart pedal that they used once and their brakes started smoking a mile later. Almost everyone just puts the selector in park. The people who use them are the people who wince whenever the car rolls that extra 4 inches and stops on the parking pawl.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 14, 2016