Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Here's the leaked article with the full DLC description:

https://mmohuts.com/video/total-war-warhammer-call-beastmen-trailer/

So confirmed horde, playable mini-campaign, new magic Lore of the Wild and Lore of Beasts, and some kind of unique forest movement ability that seems tied to specific locations.

And yeah, I'll bet Elves have the special forest movement thing too when they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

Beastmen are really just all about collecting cool hats.

But, like everyone that mains as Spy, they're really just dicks.

Meanwhile, looking forward to chasing goat dudes around the map endlessly while they manage to remain juuuust out of reach every single turn! :v:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 14, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Eh. Beastmen are cool but my heart belongs to Skaven.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Incidentally, since the FLC schedule after Lore of Beasts/Amber wizard is LL, New Lore, LL, I'm pretty sure the next DLC after Beastmen will be a LL pack. Or packs even. Brettonia will probably get released alongside Wood Elves and Lore of Life at the end of the chart.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Gonkish posted:

But, like everyone that mains as Spy, they're really just dicks.

Meanwhile, looking forward to chasing goat dudes around the map endlessly while they manage to remain juuuust out of reach every single turn! :v:

Chasing armies around the map is already the single worst part of the game, I too can't wait to fight dodgy armies, the faction.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

When I collected Chaos as a kid I loved the Beastmen because there was something genuinely creepy about them. It won't happen, but I'd love it if both Chaos Warriors and Beastmen could access each other's units in the campaign using something similar to global recruitment that the rest of the factions get so you could build some diversified Chaos armies like you could on the TT. Beastmen live in Norsca and the forests of the Empire are teeming with cultists so there's a genuine lore reason to do so too.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Whorelord posted:

When I collected Chaos as a kid I loved the Beastmen because there was something genuinely creepy about them. It won't happen, but I'd love it if both Chaos Warriors and Beastmen could access each other's units in the campaign using something similar to global recruitment that the rest of the factions get so you can get some diversified Chaos armies like you could on the TT. Beastmen live in Norsca and the forests of the Empire are teeming with cultists so there's a genuine lore reason to do so too.

It might not be in the base game but I think I can guarantee there will be mods to let Beastmen recruit a few Chaos units and vice versa. It's a neat idea.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This Kislev mod looks like it took a lot of effort! Though, the bears look a little... hmm...

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Demibears.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, I was so ready to sub to that mod until I saw those... bears. I just can't help it, my immersion, I am the worst.

Cygors for Beastmen, will they be living siege engines!? I can't wait to see ranks of infantry squashed by a giant magical boulder.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

This Kislev mod looks like it took a lot of effort! Though, the bears look a little... hmm...

This is what happens when you live too close to the chaos wastes.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Khazrak has a goat eye.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Soo, looks like the empire start is about to get significantly more difficult

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Probably gives you a common enemy to beat up on and drastically improve relations with other empire provinces, at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Good. I just tried out Legendary as Empire and had zero trouble taking care of Altdorf and securing alliances with neighbors so I could go south. About halfway through, all the brettonian places declared war but I was way strong enough to handle that nonsense. I hope Empire has more enemies, being surrounded by friendly dwarfs, Brettonians, and empire provinces means you can just bribe your neighbors and you have an effective buffer so you can pick and choose your enemies. Compared to any other start, Empire has an easy go of it provided you're smart enough to get Marienburg.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Before this game's release, someone went ahead and made huge effortposts about the units in each tabletop army. Anyone have a link to the beastmen one?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to talk a little about Chaos vs VC and explain my list a bit since Yukitsu thought it was funny and who knows maybe somebody will find it interesting. This is from round 1 of the goon tourney. His video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2w1Hfv-3k

First off: the lists

So right away you can see most of my poo poo is Chaos Warriors (Halberds) and Forsaken. But why? Well keep in mind this tournament is peculiar in that we have 100% knowledge of our opponents race before the match. So I knew this was going to be Chaos vs Vampires. I didn't know his list, but I knew our factions.

First the Halberds. Four of them is a big investment, is it really worth it? Let's take a look.

Chaos Halberds are expensive, sure. But those stats are solid against VC. Leadership is very important for obvious reasons. They have high armor, and VC lack broad access to armor piercing. But more importantly, Vampires rely hard-loving-core on monsters, flyers, and cavalry and Halbers poo poo on all three of those. They pierce armor, they have an anti-large bonus, and they brace against any of their charges. On top of this, even Halberds become deadly against ghosts when dealing magic damage (which is where the sorcerers come in).

Look at the Vampire roster. I mean really look it. All of their good poo poo is vulnerable to halberds. On top of that, Chaos halberds specifically have strong leadership and good armor (which other faction's halberd/spear offering tend to lack), making them particularly hard to handle for VC. Attached is a graphic representation of the Vampire roster when faced with Chaos Halberds who also have access to magic damage via fire magic

Also they make a giant no-go zone for Manfred, which is just a nice bonus. Now I got a little lucky in this match in that my opponent went particularly heavy on monsters and ghosts and rather light on standard chaff/infantry, so these were even more effective than they should have been. But I still believe these halberds would be well worth it against most VC lists.

Ok next up: Forsaken. Why would I make Forsaken my core infantry? They cost a little more than most mid-tier infantry, and their stats were recently nerfed a bit, but they are still pack a decent punch. They are just brawlers with a little more speed and charge. What makes that so good? Let's take a look...

Again good leadership, again good armor (although not as good as the Halberds). No shields but who cares when you are fighting vamps. Good melee stats. But wait, what's that....

HOLY gently caress-A-MOLEE. If you don't realize why this is so important, let me break it down. Having an edge breaking into and then routing the enemy core is on the VC's biggest strengths. They have enough fear effects that you can assume it will be in play 100% of the time. On top of that they have enough terror effects that's it's a constant threat, as most of their monsters and any ghosts will have it. For reference, fear lowers enemy leadership and terror reduces the threshold needed for a unit to break. Combined they can be a huge problem. But Forsaken don't give a gently caress. They ain't afraid of no ghost! These dudes will get stuck in against VC and stay there for longer than any other infantry in their price range.

And that's basically what happened. The monsters and cav just got smacked around by all the halberds, the Forsaken stood their ground when other infantry would have fled for the hills, and the fire sorceror just made life hell for the ghosts with their area of effect fire weapon buff. Oh and the Crypt Horrors weren't happy either, seeing as they take 20% extra damage from fire and it turns off their regeneration.

Oh, as a footnote I took the Chaos Spawn because unlike trolls they are are unbreakable, so they will never run ever. Regular trolls are suicide against VC as they will basically flee on contact. I would not take two fire sorcerers again though. One would suffice.

If people liked this I'll write some up for other matches later in a continued effort to share knowledge.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 14, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel like there is a good Spore-style "FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL" joke to be made about the handgunner rifle and the outrider repeater.

Shame, in Vermintide they're very distinct and fun.

e:

Also, as the opponent in that match, I didn't watch my magic levels carefully so I never had enough to overcast Nehek, which was critical to my strategy. whoops.

Sweet writeup though, I'd love to see the other two. Learning a lot here.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 14, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

I want to talk a little about Chaos vs VC and explain my list a bit since Yukitsu thought it was funny and who knows maybe somebody will find it interesting. This is from round 1 of the goon tourney. His video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2w1Hfv-3k

The only things I thought were funny were the numbers really. I think 2 fire wizards is a bit odd and wouldn't really want 4 halberds, but I still think they're mandatory. Forsaken I think I mentioned were good though but their nerfs kind of suck, and chaos spawn I think are viable but I definitely have had better times with the giants instead.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Vargs posted:

Before this game's release, someone went ahead and made huge effortposts about the units in each tabletop army. Anyone have a link to the beastmen one?

I gotchu fam

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The Chaos Beastmen are the remains of Humans affect by the warp. Many of them are malformed babies that were left in the forest to die, but rather then perishing they were adopted into pre-existing savage tribes. The Beastmen hate the civilisation that rejected them and desire to burn it all to the ground. While they serve the same gods as the Chaos Warriors, they consider the warriors to be tryhard posers while they view themselves as innate beings of Chaos. There is a long running guerilla conflict raging between the Beastmen and the Wood Elves for control of Athel Loren. The Beastmen want to control this softspot between dimensions as they believe they may be able to use it to rip a new warp gate open in the middle of the Old World. The Elves and forest spirits will fight to the last to prevent this from happening.

Beastmen primarily live in the forests of the old world and are another candidate for an early DLC faction.

Gors are the most common form of Beastman and they are the Medium Infantry of the montrous army. They can be armed with a variety of different weapons and like most Beastmen deploy in fast moving mobs and skirmish formations.

Ungors are a smaller and weaker kind of Beastman. They are ok in a fight though they have somewhat low morale. Their job is to support the heavier Gors and move quickly to flank the enemy.

Ungors can also wield bows to serve as ranged skirmishers. These Ungor Raiders are suprisingly dangerous for a low status unit, but they still suffer the low morale of all Ungors.

When flanks need covering or enemy artillery need to be munched, the beastmen send in their Chaos Warhounds. These fast creatures are good on the attack though they have poor armour and are easily spooked.

The versatile Beastman Chariot can fill a fast skirmishing role or smash into the flanks with a deadly charge attack. Beastmen are terrible at building things however, and these chariots are a bit more flimsy then other nation's machines.

Minotaurs are huge, fast moving flankers that can tear through most enemy units. These blood thirsty monsters can be hard to command once they're in a fight, and their light armour means you need to keep them away from enemy ranged units.

The heavy elite infantry of the Beastmen are the Bestigors. They are disciplined enough to fight in ranks, wear heavy armour and wield great weapons. The Bestigors form the anchor of any Beastman army.

If a tuskgor manages to avoid being eaten it eventually grows into a Razorgor. The massive, mutated boars smash into enemy ranks and tear away at whoever is still standing. They're fast moving creatures and can run down the flanks to hit heroes and special units.

Razorgors can also be tamed to a sufficient degree to pull chariots. These Razorgor Chariots are better suited to a line breaking role then the Tuskgor chariot, but their engineering is not any better.

Centigors are medium cavalry that can be equipped with either spears or great weapons for charge attacks, or throwing axes for heavy ranged support.

The light flyers of the Beastman army are the Harpies. These monsters are good for hunting artillery and covering flanks though they can't stand up in a prolonged brawl.

Beastmen can recruit giants. They're just like the other giants you've seen.

Chaos Spawn also end up in Beastmen armies. These unpredictable monsters add some deadly horror to the beast's army.

Cygors throw massive rune covered boulders at their enemy thereby filling the role of long range artillery support. Their single eye is blind to the material world and instead sees the threads and flows of the warp. The Cygor can see all forms of magic and gains bonuses when fighting any magical being or anything armed with magical weapons. Spell casters freak out then the Cygor comes close as they can sense that it wants to eat their souls.

The Ghorgon is a terrifying monster, so mutated by warp energies that even the Beastmen don't truly know what may have originally been. The Ghorgon will shred any unit it comes into close combat with and will feast on its victims. It lacks armour however so it needs to be kept clear of gun lines and monster hunters.

One of the most bizarre creatures in all Warhammer is the Jabberslythe. This winged warp mutant hits hard in battle, can fire at range and is so ugly that nearby units run the risk of going insane if they look at it. It's a versatile and dangerous top-tier unit for the Beastmen.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Good games, to Chomp. Really feel like I played like poo poo, effectively suiciding my general in two of our matches.

At least I got one win in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Obstacle2 posted:

Good games, to Chomp. Really feel like I played like poo poo, effectively suiciding my general in two of our matches.

At least I got one win in.

No I don't think you played like poo poo. Out of four you won one (handily I might add) and another was really close. Like close enough I really thought I was gonna lose for a good portion of it (won't say which one to avoid spoilers but you probably know). I have a lot of words I could probably say about our matches so I'll see if I can muster the :effort: later.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Korgan posted:

I gotchu fam

That guy's new avatar is certainly something.

Thanks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

That guy's new avatar

:eyepop:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Chomp8645 posted:

No I don't think you played like poo poo. Out of four you won one (handily I might add) and another was really close. Like close enough I really thought I was gonna lose for a good portion of it (won't say which one to avoid spoilers but you probably know). I have a lot of words I could probably say about our matches so I'll see if I can muster the :effort: later.

Our last match, when it was over I zoomed out to survey the devastation and saw a unit of Pegasus Knights with 18/20 left, that was not engaged and just hovering on the side of the map. Looking forward to Yukitsu throwing some shade my way in the replay.

Can't wait for the next tourney. (Assuming there iss another.)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ugh that cygor, gently caress yes, wanna see some doombulls

beastmen coming this early gives me hope that we'll see Ogre Kingdoms before game 3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looking at that list, Beastmen being released so early does make some amount of sense. None of those units seem to have any overly complicated mechanics to design and I'm sure they can reuse a decent number of animations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Vargs posted:

Thanks.

It just shows you how beastmen come to be in the first place.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Vargs posted:

Thanks.

I believe he's an AusPol regular.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What are heroes good for killing in multiplayer? I considered sending my griffon general after some demigryph knights but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
A thought, since beastmen will be a horde faction, how is CA going to implement wood elves regarding regional occupation? They wouldn't make any sense as a horde, but other races wouldn't make sense settling their lands. The only other race that builds settlements in wooded areas are the lizardmen.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Maybe wood elves will have some mechanic where they have to spread forests before they can occupy other regions. Same with other factions who would be able to deforest Wood Elven settlements or whatever.

tree corruption

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mukip posted:

What are heroes good for killing in multiplayer? I considered sending my griffon general after some demigryph knights but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

That's almost certainly a terrible idea because most people take Demigryphs with halberds and they have huge damage bonus against large (anything as big or bigger than a man on a horse)

Empire:
Empire Captain: All around great melee expert. On foot he will hold your melee line with his morale aura and he has enough damage to murder even the heaviest armored infantry. Has the typical empire melee expert abilities and can hold his own against most enemy melee experts. Standard and Armored mount options are underwhelming, what you gain in speed or armor you lose in the ability to stand and fight in the line where he is best. The Pegasus mount on the other hand gives you not only the mobility to get to wherever you can wreck the most havok, but also in the air you can take on and outright slaughter other flying non-melee heroes or team up your captain with Franz and kill the enemy general handily

Warrior Priest: Similar niche to the foot-Captain, your warrior priest encourages your troops to keep going and has decent combat stats himself but is isn't really a combat expert and of the spells you get the only really useful one is the damage negation AOE buff which is nice but makes the WP a less good Runemaster

Witch Hunter: Ranged Assassination Expert. His main ability "Accuse!" got nerfed recently but it is still a good chunk of damage out of the health of any single target model with less than 4000 health. He has a gun with significantly shorter range than the handgunners but if he gets into a good spot can really pound down even the heaviest armored lords and heroes with his massive armor piercing damage. No mount options but he does get an ability to move fast and disengage easier. While he isnt exactly fragile, he'll get merc'd if any significant force of dudes or a melee expert gets in his grill

Bright Wizard: Possibly the all-around 'best' caster for the Empire, it is almost always worth it to get his pegasus mount. Fireball is in my experience the most powerful magic missile ability. Cheap, low cooldown, high damage, and when you get him in the air it's deadly accurate to boot. His offensive buff gives a unit bonus fire damage to their attacks, allowing them to shred through armor, regeneration, or physical resistance (ghosts!). The bombardment spell is very weak, the vortexes are as likely to destroy your own troops as the enemy as they veer wildly off course but dont do that much. 1-3 overcast fireballs will kill any lord or hero if they connect and can be shot from massive range so just do that

Light Wizard: Light is Right. I said Bright Wizards were the best, but these guys are really freaking good too. Against the undead they give a significant map-wide leadership penalty. Their magic missile is almost as good if not exactly as good as the Bright Wizard's fireball so you will also almost always want these guys in the air. The Net spell just crushes cavalry who think they are getting a free charge off into your gunline, hole them there and get 2 full free volleys into them. Also even not overcast its an AoE spell so if the enemy isnt spreading out their charge you can stop an army dead cold in its tracks. He also has a Vortex Spell (does no or little damage but disrupts enemy lines and prevents units from attacking for awhile) and a few buffs (+armor to ally)(make unit unbreakable) but both are very short duration and ultra-niche use compared to the all around goodness of chucking around more light-fireballs

Celestial Wizard: No magic missile 0/10 never used

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

A thought, since beastmen will be a horde faction, how is CA going to implement wood elves regarding regional occupation? They wouldn't make any sense as a horde, but other races wouldn't make sense settling their lands. The only other race that builds settlements in wooded areas are the lizardmen.

my idea would be giving them some pseudo settlement they can build anywhere, with a limit of one per region, with their development level being the inverse of the actual town's development (so a level 3 settlement gives them minimal benefit, but a desolate province gives them a big one), with their forest being a "wasteland" province that nobody can build in. so itd let them sort of squat in forests without going full on conquest but also give them a strong incentive to at least be proactive about "preserving wilderness" and assisting friendly buffer states like brettonia that they can squat in, and not just sitting in their woods for a million turns or just being a straight up horde faction.

probably will just be another settlement type or something like that, since that's the most simple direction, tbh. i am interested to see what they do, since there's really quite a few ways to go with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TaurusTorus posted:

It just shows you how beastmen come to be in the first place.

There is, unfortunately, a depressing degree of intersection between the warhammer fantasy fanbase and the kind of people who unironically believe that they have a "fursona".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

wiegieman posted:

There is, unfortunately, a depressing degree of intersection between the warhammer fantasy fanbase and the kind of people who unironically believe that they have a "fursona".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
2 Soldiers, 2 Spearmen with Shield and 2 Crossbowmen

Vs

4 Soldiers, 1 Spearmen with Shields, 1 Spearmen without shields 1 Lord.

Is this even possible? I've tried my defensive line, but I keep getting overwhelmed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Onmi posted:

2 Soldiers, 2 Spearmen with Shield and 2 Crossbowmen

Vs

4 Soldiers, 1 Spearmen with Shields, 1 Spearmen without shields 1 Lord.

Is this even possible? I've tried my defensive line, but I keep getting overwhelmed.

Assuming you're the garrison without the lord, yeah, I think you're pretty hosed if the Lord is even moderately leveled.

Best thing you can do is probably get your crossbows free and focus fire down a flank hoping to break the enemy units, but I'm pretty sure your melee won't last long enough, and you still need enough ammo to kite the lord to death.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

420 Gank Mid posted:

Celestial Wizard: No magic missile 0/10 never used

tell them to make the comet better. Though I suppose they're rubbish to make vortex spells seem viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The one change necessary to make vortexes viable is to let you determine the rough direction they travel in. Either click and drag, or wind of death style.

• Locked thread