Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i wonder if they're gonna have to hardcap or diminshing return softcap movespeed boosts.

maybe like, make them not stack and you only get your highest movespeed boost at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, Brannock is right that this change will make Hanzo absolutely trash tier without some sort of compensation for it (which knowing how Blizzard operates, won't happen anytime soon or ever) but at the same time I really, really can't feel bad for all those Hanzo players spamming arrows at corners at roughly head height.

By Blizzard's standards, the gameplay changes and nerfs have actually been coming at a blistering pace.

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!

Kai Tave posted:

Probably the only real way to adjust FtH's damage back upwards and not turn back into an accidental tank-buster would be either giving it a cooldown or removing the reload on combat rolling. I'd prefer the former rather than the latter given a choice since it adds more utility to combat roll.

Give it diminishing returns? That way the first few bullets will take out flankers and he won't blow up tanks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Minorkos posted:

but hitscan shooting requires way less aiming than projectile shooting. hitscan shooting is just point and click

Can we make this the new thread title because lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hahahaha seems going torb on offense got my an account silenced "abusive chat" my rear end you lovely automated system. I bet if I said absolutely nothing it'd still be possible to get that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Timboslice posted:

Give it diminishing returns? That way the first few bullets will take out flankers and he won't blow up tanks.

Well the thing there as someone pointed out earlier is all that'll encourage people to do is fan for the first three or four shots, then roll and fan again. I mean maybe it could work? It's kind of tricky to adjust things to land perfectly in that sweet spot of "threatens these low to mid-health characters" and "doesn't obliterate higher-health ones" on an ability that can be quickly done twice in succession.

UP AND ADAM posted:

By Blizzard's standards, the gameplay changes and nerfs have actually been coming at a blistering pace.

And yeah, I was gonna say. Overwatch has been out for something like two months or a bit less and there've already been a number of balance changes including what's being tested on the PTR right now, the way people were talking about it leading up to the game's release made it sound like Blizzard wouldn't be adjusting things for years but if any of these changes result in characters being well and truly dumpstered then so far there's no real indication that Blizzard is going to just leave them hanging, Zenyatta's received a number of buffs, peoples' opinions on D.Va seem to have shifted dramatically based on the change to Defense Matrix even without them changing her damage, movement reduction, or obvious headshot zone, etc. So if Hanzo does wind up on the island of misfit heroes it so far seems fairly plausible that Blizzard isn't just going to shrug its shoulders and call it a day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Duck and Cover posted:

Hahahaha seems going torb on offense got my an account silenced "abusive chat" my rear end you lovely automated system. I bet if I said absolutely nothing it'd still be possible to get that.

If you didn't say absolutely nothing what did you say then

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Dias posted:

You're the one whining about hitboxes being actual hitboxes.

that's not his argument at all

did hanzo literally murder someone you personally know?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

2 days again? just be grateful it's not using the wow legion system of doubling your mute every time I guess

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

If you didn't say absolutely nothing what did you say then

"If". I tend to make torb puns and try uselessly to defend offense torb. Things that do not show your being effective. Gold medals, being on fire, getting a quad kill and taking the majority of a point.

Minrad posted:

2 days again? just be grateful it's not using the wow legion system of doubling your mute every time I guess

2016 July 16 01:26 UTC

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 14, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you use fan the hammer against a target and they're up against a wall it causes them to freeze while a silhouette of them in bullets is created around them.

If they're not you fire it at their feet and they have to dance like a maniac or be shot.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Minrad posted:

Well I mean, Genji

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Well I mean, Genji

Trap sprung, Hanzo couldn't even do that right.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Minrad posted:

don't you have a dota thread to shitpost at

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
They shipped what was left of Genji to Mercy, the eternally 23 year old crazy doctor that can LITERALLY AND NOT FIGURATIVELY RAISE THE DEAD and the best she could do with what was left of him was turn him into Green Fox

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Serioustalk, though: The case for large hitboxes for projectile weapons is a legitimate one, but much like TF2, this is sort of ridiculous when you add in projectiles that have extremely high base damage and the ability to headshot. Like, in most games that have headshots their destructive power is sort of predicated on the fact they're quite hard to land consistently, so it rewards precision aim with increased damage.

High damage, ability to headshot and broken hitboxes was a stupid loving idea in TF2, and one that I hoped Blizzard, who cribbed a lot of ideas from TF2, would have recognized as the complete shitshow it was and wouldn't include it. It looks like they've finally wised up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Dias posted:

don't you have a dota thread to shitpost at

you must be a hanzo arrow because you're way off hitbox, dumbass

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Did people really think Soldier was too good?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Minrad posted:

you must be a hanzo arrow because you're way off hitbox, dumbass

This probably sounded really sweet in your head before you typed it out

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Zorodius posted:

Did people really think Soldier was too good?

It's not about him being good, it's about them fixing a bug.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

loving Capcom what a worthless shitfuck company that hitbox is 4x as wide as his arm!!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Brannock posted:

loving Capcom what a worthless shitfuck company that hitbox is 4x as wide as his arm!!

You're retarded

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Man, you're trying extremely hard here and I appreciate your effort, but even Capcom has nerfed hitboxes nowadays.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

A dude could stand behind a wall and die to a head shot... this is a good thing

strong bird
May 12, 2009

flashman posted:

This is so important.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hanzo was already pretty superfluous and I get how disappointing it must be to not be able to plausibly argue against that anymore but the hitbox thing just pissed people off and he still wasn't good.

Maybe now they can focus on something that will make him fun and different, like strengthening his movement options and bumping body shot damage.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

flashman posted:

We talking reinforced concrete or load-bearing drywall?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
As someone who is a lame and only goes for headshots as widow or hanzo this is good and cool because it will affect me 0%

I'll still miss all my shots regardless. I don't think I've ever not shot someone with an unpulled bow
Max pull or gtfo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so how is soldier in ptr right now, I haven't looked into it much

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Hanzo was already pretty superfluous and I get how disappointing it must be to not be able to plausibly argue against that anymore but the hitbox thing just pissed people off and he still wasn't good.

Maybe now they can focus on something that will make him fun and different, like strengthening his movement options and bumping body shot damage.

Theres a load of things they could do, increase movement speed while aimed, increase his fire rate, go ham and add a slight movement speed debuff to a landed shot, give him bonus damage to armor, whatever

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Brannock posted:

Hanzo isn't even in my top 5. Try again.

They're exactly as generous as Widowmaker's bullets. You can tag the tip of someone's ear with Widowmaker and score a headshot. The arrow model has to exactly intersect some part of their head's model to score a headshot. Why would you play Hanzo now over Widowmaker?
Solution: nerf widowmaker even more so Hanzo is attractive in comparison

Boom problem solved

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

Now go play SFV.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
When Hanzo comes off a wall climb and is in the air, his arrow should charge like 500% faster. Also his right click should draw and fire 3 arrows in a random pattern like FTH but with a delay on firing.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Saw an uptick in Reinhardt POTGs tonight during the goon in-house on the PTR from Ana's ult. She ults him, he ults, throws fire, charges and kills everything.

I like Reinhardt now.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

flashman posted:

Theres a load of things they could do, increase movement speed while aimed, increase his fire rate, go ham and add a slight movement speed debuff to a landed shot, give him bonus damage to armor, whatever

They could do none of those things, as well

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

so how is soldier in ptr right now, I haven't looked into it much
generally outclassed by McCree at DPS, as I understand it. Maybe his sprint and healing will keep him relevant in certain situations, though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hanzo should be able to fire a tiny man that rides his arrow that grows big when the arrow impacts

~original idea do not steal~

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Someone kind of alluded to this already but for those of us playing in scrub tier hell will suffer from the Hanzo fix in that two people will inevitably slam pick him regardless and now they will be even more of a liability. That said, I think it was the right thing to do.

So I started to get salty about Lucio not getting my card picked post-match after I posted 4 gold medals card (and we won). Then a few games later I got the MVP card (80% on fire time) and they picked me. They love me, they really love me! I still can't get a drat PotG as Lucio though.

Speaking of scrub tier, for my fellow dirty PS4 havers, how is competitive? I just hit 25 and I will have to solo queue. How miserable am I going to be?

fake ninja: Thanks to the answers on breaking out of Gibraltar. The map came up and on a whim I actually picked Tracer (who I'd never played in a live match yet) and it was loving glorious. Went out the little side tunnel, killed Torb and then ran through 3 of the remaining 4 of their team. I think I ended up with like 4 bronze medals, which isnt bad I think for first time playing her but I will definitely pick her more. I was a little fearful of playing her because she seems like a high skill cap character. Maybe I'll be inspired to play Zarya now.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

strong bird posted:

They could do none of those things, as well

preferably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

vulturesrow posted:

Someone kind of alluded to this already but for those of us playing in scrub tier hell will suffer from the Hanzo fix in that two people will inevitably slam pick him regardless and now they will be even more of a liability. That said, I think it was the right thing to do.

So I started to get salty about Lucio not getting my card picked post-match after I posted 4 gold medals card (and we won). Then a few games later I got the MVP card (80% on fire time) and they picked me. They love me, they really love me! I still can't get a drat PotG as Lucio though.

Speaking of scrub tier, for my fellow dirty PS4 havers, how is competitive? I just hit 25 and I will have to solo queue. How miserable am I going to be?

fake ninja: Thanks to the answers on breaking out of Gibraltar. The map came up and on a whim I actually picked Tracer (who I'd never played in a live match yet) and it was loving glorious. Went out the little side tunnel, killed Torb and then ran through 3 of the remaining 4 of their team. I think I ended up with like 4 bronze medals, which isnt bad I think for first time playing her but I will definitely pick her more. I was a little fearful of playing her because she seems like a high skill cap character. Maybe I'll be inspired to play Zarya now.

I've been kinda solving all my "how do I break out of" questions by just picking Zarya, so pick more Zarya. She's a powerful Russian woman who just sorta needs other people to also do poo poo and feed her charge.