Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What if the "clones" were the real crew members who were sedated and the other ones were the clones thinking they were the originals and they choose to kill what they think are clones.

Best to burn them all, just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

What if the "clones" were the real crew members who were sedated and the other ones were the clones thinking they were the originals and they choose to kill what they think are clones.

You just wrote a Metal Gear Solid plot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

A Metal Gear Solid plot?!?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

A Metal Gear Solid plot?!?

Pulaski: "Tell me Prime Minister, how many of your people are clones?"
Riker: "Clones?!"
Pulaski: "Clones."
Prime Minister: "Clones."

And actual exchange in the episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

It's better with, like, inflection.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

Only if the clone that orchestrated your clone murder was a secret clone of you too, made to test you to see if you could order your clone to kill a clone of itself.

In a VR simulation.

Being run on your clone.

By the original you.

Who is also a clone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Only if the clone that orchestrated your clone murder was a secret clone of you too, made to test you to see if you could order your clone to kill a clone of itself.

In a VR simulation.

Being run on your clone.

By the original you.

Who is also a clone.

CLONE BONE!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Fister Roboto posted:

Cut from the end of that scene is a shirtless guy with a mullet standing in the corner shouting "Les Enfants Terribles!" in a questionable English accent.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
:bubblewoop: New thread! New thread title! (Gross).

And new TOS posts!

:okpos: TOS: S2, E3: "The Changeling"

Wherein Kirk saves humanity from mechanized annihilation by being a jerk to a robot.

Oh, and "Mirror, Mirror" is up next. Great.

I'll let you decide if that's sarcasm or not.

Oh, and I had a chance to play a board game called Star Trek: Panic! a few days ago at a board game con. It's based on a game called Castle Panic! that is a co-op tower defense type of game. I liked the Trek version way better because it adds characters and missions to the mix, both in really thematic and mechanically rewarding ways. As board games go, it's fairly light, so check it out even if you're not normally that flavor of nerd. Just don't expect to win easily or often. Good co-op board games are brutally difficult, and this one is no exception.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man I love DS9 but these Ferenghi centric episodes are pretty dire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rhyno posted:

Is this some sort of new slang the kids are using for cool like "man that's so dire."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A dire wolf is like a really evil wolf or something, and they're in Game of Thrones, so

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Eh the one with the running joke of "Acting! Grand Nagus Brunt" was dull as dishwater.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Up The Long Ladder is definitely one of the worst episodes of Star Trek. Here's a colony that has only been able to survive via cloning, but now they need new genetic material. The crew adamantly refuses to donate any of theirs because...? So they have to take drastic measures and forcibly take some material from Riker and Pulaski. Kind of a dick move, but understandable given the dire circumstances. But then Riker decides that the best course of action is to murder their clones in cold blood.

And that's not even mentioning the Space Irish.

it's also a pretty dick move to clone slaves/indoctrinated cult members, the colony doesn't have a right to keep their poo poo going no matter what

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As a metaphor for abortion, it's incredibly clumsy. They aren't rape babies, they just aren't, there's no real reason to be so mad about their existence and nothing to gain by destroying them. On a ship as huge as the Enterprise, there had to be at least a few people willing to donate if Picard just took a survey or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

The Ferengi episodes are awesome

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Ferengi episodes are awesome

Not the one where Zek is brainwashed by the Orb to be a nice person.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Not the one where Zek is brainwashed by the Orb to be a nice person.

Uh, sounds like Zek was in it, therefore it was a good episode

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Just finished a rerun of The Most Toys. I think this is my favorite Data episode because he tries to ice the villain at the end and then lies about it with no regret.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HIJK posted:

then lies about it with no regret.

But he's from Starfleet and I have it on good authority that they don't lie

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Sash! posted:

But he's from Starfleet and I have it on good authority that they don't lie

Are you going to trust that hew-mon propaganda?????

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I'm with Starfleet, we don't lie."

"We did a yeager loop and Josh was a bitch rear end pussy and killed himself."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I sympathize with people who don't like Ferengi episodes. I don't find Rom endearing or funny at all, and the Ferengi episodes are usually relatively Rom-heavy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I sympathize with people who don't like Ferengi episodes. I don't find Rom endearing or funny at all, and the Ferengi episodes are usually relatively Rom-heavy.

Counterpoint.

I laugh out loud every time I watch it.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
What is with nerds and their dislike of the Ferengi episodes? Is it because they're extremely social and don't examine fungus on other planets or something? drat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rhyno posted:

Look at this wrong guy, here. The Ferengi own.

Just as long as we try to forget the one where Quark had a sex change operation, that one was actually pretty terrible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Profit and Lace is the only bad DS9 Ferengi episode.

Edit: Vorta Iggy Pop

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

True story: When I first saw profit and lace, I was eating Velveeta mac and cheese and I threw up. I gave the rest to the dog.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Grand Fromage posted:

Profit and Lace is the only bad DS9 Ferengi episode.

Edit: Vorta Iggy Pop

Also, be careful not to confuse Profit and Lace, which is terrible, with Profit and Loss, which is a send-up of Casablanca starring Quark and Garak.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trent posted:

Counterpoint.

The "lol wrong turn" gag is funny, but are you saying it's Rom's "noooooo" that makes that scene for you? Because seriously, Rom's not doing anything for me in that scene.

Velisarius posted:

What is with nerds and their dislike of the Ferengi episodes? Is it because they're extremely social and don't examine fungus on other planets or something? drat.

:confused: The "Ferengi episodes don't do it for me" contingent here is a distinct minority, what the hell are you talking about?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trent posted:

Counterpoint.

I kinda wish we'd seen this scene from the other side in the middle of a Sisko-heavy episode instead.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

If you want to read something incredibly in-depth about TMP's production -- I mean so in-depth it makes the Cinefex articles look like broad abstracts -- pick up Return to Tomorrow: The Production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Preston Neal Jones was given unfettered access to everyone involved, and the book covers literally everything: Pre-production and writing, filming, and the third section is like 100+ pages of ultra-detailed information about all the VFX work. Like, there will be six paragraphs about how a single two-second shot was accomplished. It was originally intended as a cover story for CFQ, they killed the story, and then last year Jones decided to release his entire manuscript.
God loving drat it, I was just about to order this when I saw that postage to the UK costs more than the book itself. And it's not a cheap book!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Trent posted:

Counterpoint.

I like to imagine that The Sisko just sits in his office all day staring at the wall when he's not one of the main characters in the episode.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:confused: The "Ferengi episodes don't do it for me" contingent here is a distinct minority, what the hell are you talking about?

Ferengi episodes are all good, except for you know what. I really can't stand Klingon/Worf episodes though. I can't even imagine how much I'd of hated the Worf show that Michael Dorn was trying to sell. I don't understand the appeal at all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Worf is amazing, what are you talking about? He's like the most hilarious character in all of Star Trek, because he is a giant humorless, inept goon with a giant stick up his rear end. He's basically Sam the Eagle.

"I am not a merry man."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My wife loves every single Ferenghi episode, including Profit and Lace. Especially Profit and Lace. She also has a big lady boner for Bashir. Like seriously by the time we'd finished watching DS9 she'd already rewatched all of the Bashir-centric episodes like twice. I'd look over at her and she'd be like "Don't judge me!"

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Gammatron 64 posted:

Worf is amazing, what are you talking about? He's like the most hilarious character in all of Star Trek, because he is a giant humorless, inept goon with a giant stick up his rear end. He's basically Sam the Eagle.

"I am not a merry man."

That stuff is fine and good. Worf himself is fine, and a good character, but I just can't get behind all the stupid Klingon religion and HONOUR stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Klingon stuff is great when you realize it's all bullshit they just put up to look good among each other, and Worf is the only one who actually believes in those ideals. Very similar to real samurai and knights.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gammatron 64 posted:

"I am not a merry man."

Yeah, Michael Dorn is the absolute best.

:kiddo: "Are you the son of Mogh?"
:black101: "Yes, I am."
:kiddo: "Is it true you can kill someone just by looking at them?"
:black101: "... Only when I am angry."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

Klingon stuff is great when you realize it's all bullshit they just put up to look good among each other, and Worf is the only one who actually believes in those ideals. Very similar to real samurai and knights.

Pretty much this. Real Klingons use HONOR and GLORY as excuses to get shitfaced, get in huge brawls, and blow poo poo up. Worf is a Klingon Fundamentalist who can't wrap his giant head around this concept of "fun".

Martok is the best Klingon character on DS9 though :colbert:

Worf does eventually lighten up, but he's still real subtle about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Worf is a Russian guy who read about honor and glory in a book and got it wrong.