Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SectumSempra posted:

I dunno about you guys but for me on console it feels like competitive made the already worse on average console base even shittier in quick play.

I dont always have a group of people on, I'm not very competitive, its a very entirely wipe the other team , or get wiped because your team has 3 widowmakers on attack, im guessing because at some point in COD they were MVP.

It kinda makes it way less fun to pick up and play as before.

Felt that way when comp first hit, now I try not to care if I win or lose and it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Runefaust posted:

You know how I was talking about Sombra being an omnic?

What if Sombra is that white Omnice just behind Winston and Tracer?

Everyone is saying Ana fits the profile of the image found in El Dorado - however, the legs on the image in El Dorado look like an omnics, and it would make sense to keep her cloaked if it's an Omnic in hiding. Protocol: Sombra would make sense, too, if it's referring to "turning on" a defensive Omnic in response to whatever the gently caress is going on.

Also, you can't see the arms in the image of Sombra in El Dorado, either.

The thing is, that omnic has Athena's logo on it so I think Sombra is gonna be someone else (unless Sombra is just ends up being a code name)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Verranicus posted:

Felt that way when comp first hit, now I try not to care if I win or lose and it works out.

The thing is i don't mind losing. I just want the matches to be relatively close. Or at least funny.

Also a noticeable number of the matches I get placed in are in progress KOTH on the losing team 1 point down.
Also fine, its just loading up to play for 30 seconds feels silly.

Maybe they should turn some of the exited players into ai after some time

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Hanzo took the most severe hit. Basically everything I'm saying in this thread also applies to the other projectile characters. Projectiles are already at a significant penalty compared to hitscan thanks to travel time, why should they require hitscan precision?

Because we interpret the game visually and having things correspond to what effect they are going to have increases player enjoyment? Maybe make the tick rate faster, the hitboxes correlate to the model and balance the game through damage, ammo, and projectile speed and other understandable mediums rather than bizarre invisible mechanics?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Runefaust posted:

You know how I was talking about Sombra being an omnic?

What if Sombra is that white Omnice just behind Winston and Tracer?

That's Athena. You can see her logo on her head and stomach, compare it to the Athena logo in the Winston/Reaper short.

Internet Kraken posted:

A character that is classified as a sniper, a class that should be only effective with precise aim, having generous hitboxes is absurdly stupid and I'm baffled they thought it was a good design choice. Some of the projectile classes may need buffs to compensate for this change, but the end result should be better than what we had now. The reason people fixated on Hanzo so much is that because he is a sniper with high damage shots, the extremely generous hitboxes did way more for him than any other projectile hero.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the classifications are pretty soft in Overwatch (e.g., Roadhog, Symmetra, Soldier) so I'm not entirely attached to Hanzo needing to perfectly fit the commonly accepted definition of "sniper". Should McCree be classified as a sniper? Overwatch is intentionally breaking a lot of molds here (while sticking hard to others, like Widowmaker not only being a classic sniper but having the perfect kit for one).

The game isn't exclusively about good aim, there's a lot of other mechanisms here to differentiate winners from losers. On top of that having a variety of attack types, including pinpoint-to-rectangle sized hitboxes, helps keep the roster differentiated and fresh. Large hitboxes don't just "benefit bad aim", it makes these characters more effective against wigglers / small models / long distance. That has its place too, even if it's on an archer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm still wondering why everyone is so pissed at hanzo when tracer exists in this game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm still wondering why everyone is so pissed at hanzo when tracer exists in this game.

yeah its really baffling why people are discussing the character who is being changed rather than the one who hasn't been changed for many, many months. a real head scratcher

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why would anyone be mad about tracer

outside of koth stalling, there's nothing about tracer that is a problem and she's just ok. overtime stalling is a problem but that's not tracer's fault

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Because we interpret the game visually and having things correspond to what effect they are going to have increases player enjoyment? Maybe make the tick rate faster, the hitboxes correlate to the model and balance the game through damage, ammo, and projectile speed and other understandable mediums rather than bizarre invisible mechanics?

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say very few players actually gave a poo poo about this stuff. Most of us probably play the bow guy because we can actually land arrows on things even though we're bad, and Hanzo wasn't exactly out there dominating the esports scene either. You're capering about a middling hero getting a massive nerf because like 4 times you got an arrow through the head that you feel you didn't deserve which could have been hitboxes or tickrate and you can't ever know.

Also I'm not sure you understand what hitscan weapon means if you think it's harder to aim hitscan than projectile weapons.

Countblanc posted:

yeah its really baffling why people are discussing the character who is being changed rather than the one who hasn't been changed for many, many months. a real head scratcher

I didn't say "why are people talking about this character" I said "why are people so angry."

Manatee Cannon posted:

why would anyone be mad about tracer

outside of koth stalling, there's nothing about tracer that is a problem and she's just ok. overtime stalling is a problem but that's not tracer's fault

75% the accent, 25% the part where she loving disappears every time you try to actually fight her. Also the prevalence of that one rear end in a top hat playing tracer at a level way above anyone on your team so she just dumpsters all of you. I've seen good Hanzos. I've never been as annoyed by a good Hanzo as I have by a good Tracer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Do people really get mad at Tracer's voice?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The British are a blight on this world

urea
Aug 18, 2013

Now that they've made projectile hitboxes hitscan-sized, they need to finish the job and change all hitscan attacks to projectiles. It's only fair (and way more fun).

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I don't really understand why Blizzard made a game with quick reaction movement skills (guardian angel, tracer blink, genji dash) and then made the servers too slow to realize you've used them to dodge.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I didn't say "why are people talking about this character" I said "why are people so angry."

you can dislike, like, or feel a range of other emotions about multiple things at once.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also from personal experience that guy playing Tracer at a level way above you is going to dumpster you no matter what character he's using probably. I got the bejeezus kicked out of me earlier by a Genji on Volskaya A, I ended that match with gold for 1 elimination. I've had my poo poo pushed in by Soldier and Roadhog and probably characters people think are garbage tier in comparison. Wide gulfs in skill are a bitch like that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Because Tracer is harder to play, so you don't run into really good Tracer's nearly as often. A really good Tracer is infuriating, especially for support players, but most players are very underwhelming with her.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

urea posted:

Now that they've made projectile hitboxes hitscan-sized, they need to finish the job and change all hitscan attacks to projectiles. It's only fair (and way more fun).

Is that what they mean by Hanzo being nerfed? That just fixed the projectile hitbox sizes?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Oh my god, I'm really looking forward to this patch. I've been playing the test server and D'Va, Zen, and McCree have all become way more fun to play. That tiny boost of survivability that came from 50 shields on Zen, toggled shields on D'Va, and extra range on McCree all do a really good job of making the characters feel like utter beasts. All three were characters I wanted to love but usually couldn't justify picking, so I'm super thrilled about this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tracer is the mascot of this game. She will stay the way she is forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Is that what they mean by Hanzo being nerfed? That just fixed the projectile hitbox sizes?

well, "fixed" isn't quite right because they were as big as they were before on purpose. but yea in prt atm you can't get shot around a corner by hanzo arrows because you were standing near a doorway

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Unoriginal Name posted:

I don't really understand why Blizzard made a game with quick reaction movement skills (guardian angel, tracer blink, genji dash) and then made the servers too slow to realize you've used them to dodge.

apparently several of those are exceptions to "favor the shooter"; blink takes priority over a revolver shot when the server has to resolve an ambiguity

or it's supposed to

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

People getting feelbads from giant arrow hitboxes is a far preferable situation than having to buff Hanzo to make up for his more precise hitboxes now. If they buff him to make up for that he gets more feast or famine. His shots have to be more accurate but their impact would be insane. I'd rather deal with the feelbads than build another God-or-Clod character like Genji.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
new dva is amazing and i love it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

People getting feelbads from giant arrow hitboxes is a far preferable situation than having to buff Hanzo to make up for his more precise hitboxes now. If they buff him to make up for that he gets more feast or famine. His shots have to be more accurate but their impact would be insane. I'd rather deal with the feelbads than build another God-or-Clod character like Genji.

I would like to see Hanzo get some sort of meaningful rework/adjustment because I'd like it if all the heroes had good and useful roles to play and right now he sort of sticks out as just kinda being "also there" in terms of what he brings to the table, and I would like to think that maybe there's a way to do it that doesn't involve buffing his damage and consequently tipping him into ridiculousness in the hands of one of those really skilled players, because even with the really generous hitboxes a lot of top-tier players weren't really picking him all that often except to just sort of gently caress around, so if these are the guys who can really consistently wreck face with Hanzo and even they don't want to play him that seriously then that suggests that the character could use some looking at.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kai Tave posted:

Do people really get mad at Tracer's voice?
Patch Notes:

Tracer
- Rerecorded all lines of dialogue using the voice actor's natural Yorkshire accent.

Although even that wouldn't improve repeated spamming of "Ever get the feeling of deja vu?"

Yes, Tracer. Yes I do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I would like to see Hanzo get some sort of meaningful rework/adjustment because I'd like it if all the heroes had good and useful roles to play and right now he sort of sticks out as just kinda being "also there" in terms of what he brings to the table, and I would like to think that maybe there's a way to do it that doesn't involve buffing his damage and consequently tipping him into ridiculousness in the hands of one of those really skilled players, because even with the really generous hitboxes a lot of top-tier players weren't really picking him all that often except to just sort of gently caress around, so if these are the guys who can really consistently wreck face with Hanzo and even they don't want to play him that seriously then that suggests that the character could use some looking at.

I've seen people say that after the nerfs to Widow there are now times when picking hanzo would be preferable.

I am terrible at both heroes so I have no idea if that's true. Looking forward to also be terrible at ana

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I'm terrible with everybody, so.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Darth Windu posted:

Also I really like the idea of a support sniper. I guess you could say I am Pro-Ana!

for god's sake gowby

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

:agreed:

I actually really like playing Hanzo, but I also really like huntsman sniper in TF2.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vargs posted:

According to reddit, pretty much all projectiles seem to have smaller hitboxes. So Hanzo, Genji, Mei, Torb, Zen, etc all took a nerf. Which seems...less than ideal.

Doesnt that actually mean that the hit boxes were too large and they tweaked the hit boxes not the weapons

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you're playing at like, 160 ms which I don't really have a way around because those are the closest blizz servers to me, hanzo headshot arrows were totally bullshit. You would die and know you shouldn't have, there's no way it was intended to work that way.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Is there a date for when this update leaves PTR yet?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Theta Zero posted:

Is there a date for when this update leaves PTR yet?

Yeah, soon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

From what Kaplan has said, it sounds like it might be a few weeks, rather than the one-week turnaround that Competitive had. I guess some of the balance adjustments are still in the testing phase and subject to change.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Supercar Gautier posted:

From what Kaplan has said, it sounds like it might be a few weeks, rather than the one-week turnaround that Competitive had. I guess some of the balance adjustments are still in the testing phase and subject to change.

Blizzard is hosting a Comic-Con panel that goes in-depth on Ana next week on the 21st. The update could go live then.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheresaJayne posted:

Doesnt that actually mean that the hit boxes were too large and they tweaked the hit boxes not the weapons

There aren't two sets of headboxes, one for hitscan and one for projectiles, I've been referring to it as "the headbox thing" out of laziness I guess but no, if they'd changed the headboxes for characters then all weapons would be affected. Hitscan weapons still hit the same, but projectiles had various degrees of generosity appended to them, now they're "smaller" than before and thus require more precision to qualify as headshots.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, they had a stream earlier where the devs talked about still adjusting things like Mercy's damage buff back down again, so they're apparently not ironclad on everything yet.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, they had a stream earlier where the devs talked about still adjusting things like Mercy's damage buff back down again, so they're apparently not ironclad on everything yet.

Well, hopefully so. 50% damage buffed Pharah does 180 damage on directs. That's an insta-dead Tracer.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Theta Zero posted:

Well, hopefully so. 50% damage buffed Pharah does 180 damage on directs. That's an insta-dead Tracer.

they're reverting the mercy buff in the next ptr version

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Theta Zero posted:

150 isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Minrad posted:

150 isn't?

Oh wait.

My math.

Oops.