Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you haven't given Hex a try it's worth a look. I played it for about a month before PvE content came out. It's not really my thing because I wasn't in the mood for a magic clone, but it's good at what it does and players really seem to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the dwarf/construct synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

C'mon, you're not even trying. Magic was actually garbage in '93. :P

It wasn't as polished as it is today, but it was still amazing because nobody had seen anything like it before.

malkav11 posted:

I certainly would. It's got plenty of original ideas and the overall design is better than many other TCGs I've played. Yes, it's inspired by Magic - like, you know, the entire genre, albeit a bit more directly than many - but it's not Magic.

"Inspired by" = "copies every game mechanic down to the deck limits and starting life totals", huh? There's a reason why Cryptozoic postponed the release until about two days after the WOTC patents on CCGs expired - those patents were filed specifically to prevent exactly that kind of cloning.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

About how big are those planes for Battle of Britain? I can't tell what the scale on that cutting mat should be. Doesn't look like an inch, that'd be too big I think.

I've tentatively backed. I'd totally paint all those planes if I stick with it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

"Inspired by" = "copies every game mechanic down to the deck limits and starting life totals", huh? There's a reason why Cryptozoic postponed the release until about two days after the WOTC patents on CCGs expired - those patents were filed specifically to prevent exactly that kind of cloning.

Hex is hardly the only TCG to ever have 60 card decks, and the life totals have since changed to being variable based on the Champion selected for the deck (Champions being a feature always present in Hex from the beginning, and never in traditional MtG, so...). Regardless, the legality was challenged, there was a settlement, it's over and the only stuff they had to change was the name of the graveyard to the "crypt", a couple other card names, and the health thing, so whatever. I know it's easy to just be lovely, but as others have said, it's worth actually trying for yourself to see how different an experience it can offer, from crazy mechanics afforded by the digital space to the 1st PvE campaign, equipment modifications for your Champion, the constructed Arena, etc., in addition to traditional tournaments and stuff. There's a lot going on with it.

Anyway, done derailing. On a more on topic note, I have a ton of board game kickstarters fulfilling soon. Got my copy of Scythe to the table on Tuesday and really enjoyed it; Islebound should be showing up any day now; Tiny Epic Western soon after that; Santorini next, etc. So many games I'm excited about.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Galaga Galaxian posted:

About how big are those planes for Battle of Britain? I can't tell what the scale on that cutting mat should be. Doesn't look like an inch, that'd be too big I think.

I've tentatively backed. I'd totally paint all those planes if I stick with it.

Looks like a centimeter grid mat to me

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Merauder posted:

Hex is hardly the only TCG to ever have 60 card decks, and the life totals have since changed to being variable based on the Champion selected for the deck (Champions being a feature always present in Hex from the beginning, and never in traditional MtG, so...).

I guess you never heard of Vanguard then.

In the physical game from around 1998, and added to Modo in 2005 (with a bunch of fancy new ones which have mechanics that only really work in a digital game).

---

In other Kickstarter news, Level 99 look to be finally shipping the rest of the Millennium Blades first wave stuff to Europe (hopefully they learned their lesson to not use Ideadespatcher again). As a show of good faith, they've announced they'll be sending European Backers the two new promo sets for free when they come out, which is pretty neat (equivalent of the $21 pledge for the reprint campaign).

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 14, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

In other Kickstarter news, Level 99 look to be finally shipping the rest of the Millennium Blades first wave stuff to Europe (hopefully they learned their lesson to not use Ideadespatcher again). As a show of good faith, they've announced they'll be sending European Backers the two new promo sets for free when they come out, which is pretty neat (equivalent of the $21 pledge for the reprint campaign).
Where did they say this? I can't find it anywhere, but I should let everybody in my backer group know about it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Where did they say this? I can't find it anywhere, but I should let everybody in my backer group know about it.

It was in a direct email from Brad, I can dig it out when I'm at home. Anyone who backed should have received it too. Note it will have gone to the pledge manager/worldofindines email and not your KS one (unless they're the same).

EDIT: Also it's been added to the comments - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game/comments - I guess they may make it into an update later.

quote:

David B. Talton Jr. about 15 hours ago
@Neva: We're going to be giving the contents of the $21 tier from the new project to everyone who had to wait extra time in Europe, as an apology for the extended delay and a thank-you for your patience with things.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

It was in a direct email from Brad, I can dig it out when I'm at home. Anyone who backed should have received it too. Note it will have gone to the pledge manager/worldofindines email and not your KS one (unless they're the same).

EDIT: Also it's been added to the comments - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game/comments - I guess they may make it into an update later.
Great, thanks. I wasn't the actual backer in my group so I don't get the emails. Guess I'll have to talk to the jerk who did the actual backing to see if we get the new expansions, since we "only" waited a few months because they had enough extra copies to ship directly to us.

Anyway, it's nice of Level 99 to to do it. It's not their fault that Ideaspatcher is incompetent.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Unity RPG https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/215931791/unity-tabletop-rpg looks nice as a 4e-ish fantasy heartbreaker and just got funded. Has another 30 days for stretch goals.

KillCrazy
Feb 6, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Unity RPG https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/215931791/unity-tabletop-rpg looks nice as a 4e-ish fantasy heartbreaker and just got funded. Has another 30 days for stretch goals.

Like the art and they're honest enough in what they're attempting to achieve - a more teamwork oriented 13th Age. In for $2 and seeing the updates before deciding if I want to back for a physical copy.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Has anyone taken a look at Barnyard Roundup yet? I played this game with some friends at a con recently and we all really liked it

It's basically a sort-of reverse Cockroach Poker, where you are trying to bluff your friends about what animals (cow, pig, chicken, sheep, or goat) you are giving them, hoping that they guess incorrectly and you get the cards back. You can also give someone crows, which results in negative points. The goal is to have the most points at the end of the game for "Market Day", with each type of animal being worth a different amount of VP (and there are bonuses for collecting a full set of animals, or having the most of one kind of animal). There are also some extra mechanics that we didn't play with, like the Robber (ask someone for all of one kind of animal from their hand, if you're wrong--you get all of their crows), the Scarecrow (you get to redistribute three of your crow cards), and "Excuse Me" (allows you to redirect a bluff from another player to yourself). It was a very fun and quick game, and would make a nice addition to any collection looking for fun fillers between heavier games--and is very easy to play when drinking. It's also something you can easily play with younger gamers, that will still keep adults entertained.

I believe, IIRC, that is the creator's first game, and not only that, but it got funded it's $7500 goal in less than 24 hours, so now it's all purely stretch goals at this point.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/druidcitygames/barnyard-roundup-bluffing-set-collection-card-game

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I backed Overseers. I'm going to pick up a copy of the game today in Taipei, but I'll spring for an English version. I'll back Battle of Britain when I get my tax return on the first. Hopefully, Dropfleet Commander will ship soon and I can start wasting my free time painting.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

quote:

Dear Millennium Blades backers,

We had promised to ship your delayed games last week. Unfortunately, we have had some unexpected delays fulfilling Scythe, a larger project that came in just days before your missing items for Millennium Blades. As soon as we have completed shipping Scythe, we will dispatch your game right away and send out tracking information.

Once again, we are very sorry for these delays, and we are doing our best to ship your pledges very soon,

Ideaspatcher team

Thanks Ideaspatcher, I hope no-one ever uses you again :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

At least you got notification. I received "Box 1 of 2" for my Black Plague KS, and never got the second box. I had to contact CMON and get a response of "maybe you'll get your replacement stuff sometime after July?" Whatever fulfillment company they used is really top notch, because a lot of people are missing a lot of items - and we're talking base games, as well as bonus stuff.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

Damnit, I backed the second printing. :ohdear: I hope this doesn't happen again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Talon Games is doing more of the CAV: Strike Operations Bonesium robit models Reaper funded last year.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hell yes, another small variation on CAH, that's exactly what the world needed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"The party game you probably shouldn't play."

Points for honesty, at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The party game you probably shouldn't buy.

EDIT: I hate this fake honesty poo poo. It's like that piece of poo poo 'We didn't playtest this at all'.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tekopo posted:

Hell yes, another small variation on CAH, that's exactly what the world needed.

poo poo yes, another "game" to be dragged out by half drunk boring-assed people so we can laugh and laugh and laugh about who would be the least likely to give up their seat on a bus for an elderly person or pregnant woman. That's so you Dave, you would be the least likely to do that, ha!

:suicide:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Indolent Bastard posted:

poo poo yes, another "game" to be dragged out by half drunk boring-assed people so we can laugh and laugh and laugh about who would be the least likely to give up their seat on a bus for an elderly person or pregnant woman. That's so you Dave, you would be the least likely to do that, ha!

:suicide:

In defence of a CAH clone, Bring Your Own Book is actually really good because it varies game-to-game based on the players and their library. I never thought I'd laugh so much at Trotsky's writings on London.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

glitchkrieg posted:

In defence of a CAH clone, Bring Your Own Book is actually really good because it varies game-to-game based on the players and their library. I never thought I'd laugh so much at Trotsky's writings on London.

Bring Your Own Book is ok, but having player markers of a dildo and a bong are a poor start to a bad game like Bad People.

At least Bring Your Own Book has some small merit in that if you have read a book or two you might have some clue where to source good answers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

glitchkrieg posted:

yea Bring Your Own Book is at least an interesting twist because it can genuinely be ~anything can happen~ and all. Plus as a huge nerd any game that rewards my horde of books is good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I make a distinction between creative games that are like CAH/Apples to Apples and non-creative games.

Had a look at Bring Your Own Book and it's a creative game. Dixit is also a creative game. CAH/AtA and this poo poo are not.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
On a more positive note in Kickstarter land, Red Raven Games / Ryan Laukat's latest offering Near and Far went up yesterday and looks amazing. It's a direct sequel to his 2015 game Above and Below, which featured light euro mechanics of semi-worker placement and set collection, blended with some light storytelling as well. The new one is a totally different game mechanically, but follows the same idea of a mechanically sound game with story elements. From the looks of it he's improved the story elements a bit this time around, and also is including a campaign mode. Looks pretty stellar.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

On a more positive note in Kickstarter land, Red Raven Games / Ryan Laukat's latest offering Near and Far went up yesterday and looks amazing. It's a direct sequel to his 2015 game Above and Below, which featured light euro mechanics of semi-worker placement and set collection, blended with some light storytelling as well. The new one is a totally different game mechanically, but follows the same idea of a mechanically sound game with story elements. From the looks of it he's improved the story elements a bit this time around, and also is including a campaign mode. Looks pretty stellar.
I'm loving the map book and adding the KS exclusive A&B book/tokens for people like me who only picked up the retail version.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Merauder posted:

I just got in my copy of Islebound and I can't wait to play. I couldn't back Near and Far fast enough. I've backed most of Red Raven's games on Kickstarter and have enjoyed them all.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

atholbrose posted:

I just got in my copy of Islebound and I can't wait to play. I couldn't back Near and Far fast enough. I've backed most of Red Raven's games on Kickstarter and have enjoyed them all.

Islebound was the first of his I actually backed, but was lucky enough to pick up one of his last convention copies of the KS edition of Above & Below at BGG Con last year.
Played my first game of Islebound on Friday, it was pretty cool. The simple elegance of his systems are pretty great, and are really well complimented by his awesome art and presentation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I haven't read it yet, but Pirate World just actually released to backers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lemon-Lime posted:

I haven't read it yet, but Pirate World just actually released to backers.

Scratch a goon-made project off the list of failed Kickstarters !

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

mllaneza posted:

Scratch a goon-made project off the list of failed Kickstarters !

Even though it delivered I still consider it a failure.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

With this release of Pirate World, I can finally again say that I have never been burned by a Kickstarter non-delivery!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Interface Zero creator Gun Metal Games put out a notice on Tuesday that they are now broke as hell due to not being able to budget properly for the amount of supplements they promised.

I'm not sure if this counts as a Kickstarter fail or not, because they did get the core book and a number of supplements released.. it's just they put in addons for a LOT of supplements.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Kwyndig posted:

Interface Zero creator Gun Metal Games put out a notice on Tuesday that they are now broke as hell due to not being able to budget properly for the amount of supplements they promised.

I'm not sure if this counts as a Kickstarter fail or not, because they did get the core book and a number of supplements released.. it's just they put in addons for a LOT of supplements.

Yeah, this is an odd example because the dude just promised wayyyyyy too many addon books. Like, if you check the comments everyone says how much value they've already gotten and that the dude has already gone above and beyond expectations. Which, as a backer myself, I totally agree with. For $50 I've gotten more content than anything I've backed outside of 7th Sea, so I'm really not miffed at all if I don't ever get the last few stretch goals.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So there's an Armoured Core 'RTS' Board Game on KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game

Not sure if it'll be any good or it it's gonna be another minis heavy trash game...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zark the Damned posted:

So there's an Armoured Core 'RTS' Board Game on KS - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/223137030/armored-coretm-rts-a-real-time-strategy-board-game

Not sure if it'll be any good or it it's gonna be another minis heavy trash game...

Your heart knows

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

No gameplay video, no rules PDF, no way to sell me on how the hell everyone dicking around at the same time is going to work.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zark the Damned posted:

The realtime element throws me off. Like in the video all 4 players are constantly moving pieces and adjusting cubes and I just know that a session would be stopped by people going "wait, no you didn't hit me" or "what do I have to remove now from my board?" and suddenly the time limit is out the window. Why didn't they just make it turn-based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I fuckin' love Armored Core to an unreasonable degree and I still wouldn't ever be inclined to buy one of these miniature-heavy Kickstarter licensed boardgames without a whole bunch of people whose opinions I trust telling me that no, this one is different from all the rest.