Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Acaila posted:

My favourite news story of the day - Knit your way out of prison, aka the judge that says "Did ye, aye?"
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/221746/road-rage-incident-leads-to-knitting-challenge/

A legal system based around mod challenges? I'm alright with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I did immediately think if it were me I'd be going straight to my mum for assistance. I've never even managed to complete a scarf mind you.

And how pleasant it is that Pissflaps isn't around to make sexist comments about me and knitting.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It's something I'm more likely to do when I'm stressed and want to have something mindless to distract me from whatever fuckery is going on - since the results of the EU referendum I've made 2 dresses, a jumper and a minion.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't think the challenge was specific enough. She should have been asked to knit a jumper with a depiction of the incident to a high degree of realism.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's something I'm more likely to do when I'm stressed and want to have something mindless to distract me from whatever fuckery is going on - since the results of the EU referendum I've made 2 dresses, a jumper and a minion.

The conservative party, boosting british industriousness one referendum at a time

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I don't think the challenge was specific enough. She should have been asked to knit a jumper with a depiction of the incident to a high degree of realism.

The next trend in hipster jumpers: portraits of low level social discord

Niric fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 12, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Offshore workers in Wood Group show overwhelming support for strike action

The SNP follow parliamentary procedure and do not clap in the chamber

Sturgeon courts city firms as Brexit looms

Three new areas of concerns for the pound

USA Today say that Scottish Notes are not legal tender outside of the UK and to exchange them for English notes.

Honestly I'm not going to quote what's in the articles as there is too many of them to link. Just go into private browsing and you'll get past the paywall.

Plans revealed for 'root and branch' review of Glasgow City Council following wave of suspensions

Nicola Sturgeon wants a key role in Brexit negotiations from the new PM

Extreme Poverty is becoming the norm. Personally If I was a blairite I would prefer gentle poverty like the gentle austerity program

I'm not sure where Kenny MacAskill is going with mixing Estonia and Brexit

Also Kittens

Highland MP accusses the Immigration minister James Brokenshire (that's a fitting second name) of being disrespectful to a family facing deportation.

Ruth Davidson urges Theresa May not to give ammo to the SNP by deporting EU nationals. She is also appointed to the privy council by May for being a good little tory.

And now for the :lol:

The Scottish Resistance are making moves to bring Blair to Justice. Not exactly how they are going to do that, maybe just kidnap him and put him in made up court filled with 10 of their friends who are all planks

And of course. The Jester of Scotland

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/753162808045473792

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/753163060018282496

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/753165924488847360

So to sum up. He's willing to lead No Campaign 2, says that London blocking Scottish Referendum is stupid and that talking is needed when coming to the Freedom of Movement. Knowing Coebum, I assume he has no clue on what talks need to be taken
Also Michael Gray from the Commonspace is at Brussles at the moment so maybe check out what's been happening so far with him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Glad to see David Coburn is still an idiot. Something quietly reassuring there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scottish notes are not legal tender in the united kingdom either, the bank of england just accepts them.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I flew back from Tallinn yesterday and the currency exchange in the airport had separate values for Scottish pounds and British pounds, with Scottish pounds being 0.70 and British ones 0.60.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

OwlFancier posted:

Scottish notes are not legal tender in the united kingdom either, the bank of england just accepts them.

Thank you captain McObvious. Would you like to be part of the Scottish Government's EU consuls and diplomats.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

While I get that the last 6 years of austerity and welfare "reform" are a key factor here, it's annoying that the SNP/Scottish Government response to growing poverty in Scotland is a literal "it's all Westminster's fault and there's nothing we can do." Which is absolute crap. It's the same do-nothing-blame-someone-else routine from a party that's been in power for almost a decade. The SNP's record on the economy has been piss poor, and it pisses me off that they never get pulled up on this.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

On a totally different note (hehe note, see what I did there?)

Scotpol meet up
Edinburgh
End of August
Political comedy and top bantz.

Who is in?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Acaila posted:

Scotpol meet up
Edinburgh
End of August

Who is in?

I'm in if someone can spot me 5,000 UK pounds. That's equal to, what, $30 US?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Well I've got 50 krone in my wallet?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

While I get that the last 6 years of austerity and welfare "reform" are a key factor here, it's annoying that the SNP/Scottish Government response to growing poverty in Scotland is a literal "it's all Westminster's fault and there's nothing we can do." Which is absolute crap. It's the same do-nothing-blame-someone-else routine from a party that's been in power for almost a decade. The SNP's record on the economy has been piss poor, and it pisses me off that they never get pulled up on this.

Except none of that is true?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Except none of that is true?

This bit:

quote:

the last 6 years of austerity and welfare "reform" are a key factor here

Is true:

quote:

"gaps in income for CAB clients are most often caused by the benefits system."

This bit:

quote:

the SNP/Scottish Government response to growing poverty in Scotland is a literal "it's all Westminster's fault and there's nothing we can do."

Is true:

quote:

a spokeswoman for the Scottish Government said: “We share CAS’ concerns about poverty in Scotland. “We are being forced to spend £100 million a year tackling the effects of UK Government welfare cuts when this money should be spent lifting people out of poverty."

This bit:

quote:

Which is absolute crap.

Is true

This bit:

quote:

It's the same do-nothing-blame-someone-else routine from a party that's been in power for almost a decade. The SNP's record on the economy has been piss poor

Is also true.

This bit:

quote:

it pisses me off that they never get pulled up on this. 

Is my opinion, coupled with a negative claim which are, famously, very hard to prove.

If you're going to insist on continually doing zero effort, zero content posts that mindlessly (and without any actual argument) defend the government, you could least occasionally make them funny or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

For that matter, Bank of England notes aren't legal tender outside the UK. They just exchange for it.

Extreme0, why did you just decide to become an aggregated news feed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Niric posted:

If you're going to insist on continually doing zero effort, zero content posts that mindlessly (and without any actual argument) defend the government, you could least occasionally make them funny or something.

Please, Coohoolin isn't even the biggest mindless nationalist HTB in Aberdeen. He's got a long way to go before he can aspire to be Peter Dow.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'd love to attend a scotpol booze up but unfortunately a little out of my attendance radius.

Jedit posted:

I appreciate it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Acaila posted:

Scotpol meet up
Edinburgh
End of August

Who is in?

I'd be up for this. Not mark Thomas though- I've got tickets for him already!

tithin posted:

I appreciate it.

Agreed

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

Please, Coohoolin isn't even the biggest mindless nationalist HTB in Aberdeen. He's got a long way to go before he can aspire to be Peter Dow.

I know he's not that bad (see ukmt for people who are that bad), but the posts with no substance or argument are frustrating, and it'd be good if the scotpol thread could rise above "X is poo poo/no, X is great" Because there's enough of that elsewhere

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's at least provoking some discussion. Though I guess that's what they say about Ukip.

Acaila posted:

Who is in?

I'm generally repelled by anything involving the word 'bantz', however I'll make an exception for this one

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the news feed, it's perfect for extremely lazy people like myself.

Extreme0 is performing a public service.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Extreme0 is performing a public service.

Don't say that too loud or the Tories will privatise him :ohdear:

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I was using bantz in a purely ironic fashion of course.

Niric posted:

I'd be up for this. Not mark Thomas though- I've got tickets for him already!

I was thinking we could find something on the free fringe with a political bent, that way people could pay what they could manage?
Either that or I make you all come see the Dark Room again with me so we can shout abuse at strangers.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

This bit:

Is true:

This bit:

Is true:

This bit:

Is true

This bit:

Is also true.

This bit:

Is my opinion, coupled with a negative claim which are, famously, very hard to prove.

It's just as lazy to simply accuse them of "always blaming Westminster" instead of actually doing something. That's an empirical claim you've made, attributing blame to the Scottish government, and you're claiming stuff like "we're being forced to alleviate Westminster cuts" isn't true, I guess?

I mean unless there's an obvious way the Scottish government can subsidise Westminster cuts and at the same time invest MORE money into the economy, all without borrowing or raising taxes in an effective way (something the devolved tax powers do not allow for), or unless you can demonstrate a way that should be apparent to the Scottish government, then your claim is easily dismissible.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Acaila posted:

Scotpol meet up
Edinburgh
End of August

Who is in?

Provisionally, aye. As long as it doesn't clash with hockey.

Acaila posted:

I was thinking we could find something on the free fringe with a political bent, that way people could pay what they could manage?
Chris Coltrane was good last year, think he's part of the free fringe again this year.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/finlayharris/status/753486756989796352
Patrick doing us a service.

Philip Hammond says a separate EU deal for Scotland isn't going to happen, a contradiction to what David Mundell said

He's also said the following.

quote:

The new chancellor ruling out changes to the Barnett Formula
The chancellor also dismissed the idea that Scotland would have a separate relationship with the European Single Market. He added: "We want to have access to the single market."

Federal UK is brought up again, this time from the Constitution Reform Group

quote:

DEVOLUTION should be “turned upside down” to create a federal Britain, a group of senior cross-party politicians insists today as it publishes a draft Bill to create a new Act of Union.

The Constitution Reform Group (CRG) believes that its proposed legislation is now the last chance to save the 300-year-old union given the renewed threat of a second Scottish independence referendum in the wake of the Brexit vote.

The aim of the 48-page Act Of Union Bill 2016 is to “to affirm that the peoples of [our] nations and parts have chosen to continue to pool their sovereignty for specified purposes, and to provide universal citizenship with social and economic rights”.

The CRG, whose members include the Marquess of Salisbury, who is the former Conservative Leader of the Lords, Lord Hain, the former Labour Northern Ireland Secretary, and Lord Campbell, the former Liberal Democrat leader, will now lobby the UK Government and Westminster to back the draft legislation, which it recognises can only be implemented with the support of the Tory administration under its new leader Theresa May.

“The referendum on Scottish independence followed swiftly by the flawed implementation of English votes for English laws and the enormous electoral success of the SNP, brought to the forefront of public consciousness the deep imbalances in the make-up of the Union,” explained Lord Campbell.

“The CRG was formed to address these imbalances and we believe that the Bill we have drafted is a good starting point. We want to turn the process of devolution upside down; the four nations of the United Kingdom should be sovereign but agree to pool that sovereignty on issues that it is agreed are best handled at a UK level.

“The issues that divide the nation are far outweighed by the common values and cultures that have bound us together for hundreds of years. We hope that the new Prime Minister will take this unprecedented opportunity to realign our Union and secure it for centuries to come,” added the Scottish peer.

The CRG’s aim is to “wrest back the initiative from the separatists” and help save the 300-year-old United Kingdom by creating a bottom-up federal system, where each of the four parts of the UK would decide which powers they wanted to retain and then “federate upwards” and hand power over to the centre on issues they believe could be best managed by there; such as defence and foreign policy.

The bill includes proposals for:

the creation of an English Parliament
strengthened Scottish Parliament controlling all powers except those “central policy areas” assigned to the UK Parliament
the abolition of the House of Lords
a new UK Parliament revising chamber with members elected to it from the UK’s four national parliaments
increased regional devolution
central functions financed by central taxes such as income tax, VAT and corporation tax
the renaming of the Bank of England as the Bank of the United Kingdom with members of the board drawn from the four parts of the UK.

Recently, members of the CRG met David Cameron, the former PM, and have begun a process of liaison with the Cabinet Office, recognising that it is only with government support that it has any prospect of changing the constitution.

Independence may be best chance to save EU nationals from the monster that is Theresa May

quote:

NICOLA Sturgeon is on a collision course with the new Prime Minister over immigration and independence may prove her best option to protect EU nationals already in Scotland, a leading academic has said.

Dr Eve Hepburn, a senior lecturer in politics and international relations, said that as Home Secretary, Theresa May had been at loggerheads with the Scottish Government over immigration "for years" and predicted that the issue may prove as explosive as Brexit negotiations or a potential new referendum on leaving the UK under her premiership.

The Scottish Government has consistently argued for a more liberal approach to immigration, claiming UK policies seeking to lower numbers are hampering economic growth north of the border where population increases are slower. However, the calls have been thwarted by the department Ms May ran for six years.

Writing in The Herald today, Dr Hepburn said that the Scottish Government could continue with so far futile efforts to influence UK immigration policy, seek further powers for Holyrood in the area or put forward complicated constitutional arguments in its bid to protect the right of EU nationals to remain in Scotland after Brexit, which Ms May has so far refused to guarantee.

However, claiming that there is currently "little good will between Edinburgh and London" and pointing to Ms May's "highly restrictive and often inflammatory" record on immigration as Home Secretary, Dr Hepburn suggested the approaches may be doomed to fail.

The University of Edinburgh-based academic said: "The Scottish Government and Theresa May have been at loggerheads over immigration for years. The SNP has denounced UK immigration policy as damaging to Scottish interests, preferring flexibility to meet labour-market demands. May’s response during the IndyRef was to warn of ‘uncontrolled immigration’ should Scotland join Schengen, alluding to the need for border posts along Hadrian’s Wall to keep immigrants (and Scots?) out of England.

"Such arguments have taken on a darker hue since the EU referendum. A driving demand of First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Green Co-Convenor Patrick Harvie is that the UK should immediately guarantee the status of EU nationals living in Scotland. However, May has refused to budge until a deal is made about Brits abroad, raising the possibility that millions of EU nationals could be deported when the UK leaves the EU."

After discussing a string of possible options, Dr Hepburn concluded: "Sturgeon’s best chance of protecting EU nationals may ultimately be to win another referendum on independence and apply for EU membership. Only then would she have control over who gets to stay in Scotland."

As Home Secretary, Ms May has refused to work with the Scottish Government to reintroduce an automatic temporary right to remain in the country for students after graduating, despite a broad consensus emerging in favour of the move.

The SNP has hit out at the new Prime Minister's "right wing" record, citing the controversial 'Go Home' campaign targeted at illegal immigrants, opposition to accepting increased numbers of Syrian refugees and support for austerity.

The party's Westminster civil liberties spokeswoman, Anne McLaughlin, said: "Theresa May’s appalling right-wing record will set the alarm bells ringing in Scotland and suggests she will lead a Tory government that lacks compassion, fails to respect human rights, and will worsen poverty and inequality."

SNP accused of playing 'Fast and loose' with thousands of Jobs over Trident by GMB Scotland

quote:

A shipbuilding union has accused the SNP of playing "fast and loose" with Scottish jobs and the economy with its opposition to Trident renewal.

The SNP has a long-standing opposition to nuclear weapons and has confirmed its intention to oppose the renewal of the Clyde-based nuclear fleet when it goes to the vote at Westminster on July 18.

GMB Scotland said the Conservatives were keen to move shipbuilding work promised to Scotland to their political heartlands in England, and feared the SNP's opposition to Trident would be seen as a lack of support for the jobs it brings to Scotland.

Gary Cook, GMB Scotland organiser, said: "As we have seen on the Upper Clyde, given half a chance the Tories will take the work promised to Scotland back to their political base and there is no shortage of areas in the south that are crying out for work of this value.

"So without any support for the vital jobs, skills and the high value terms and conditions our members hold, Scotland is in real danger of wishing away the economic and employment benefits of renewal.

"Our economy is flirting dangerously with recession, we are struggling to achieve any sort of meaningful growth and we are haemorrhaging industrial jobs hand over fist through the decline of the offshore sector and neglect of our manufacturing base.

"Scotland is in no position to play fast and loose with thousands of high-value jobs dependent on Trident renewal or with the prosperity of the working-class communities delivering this valuable work on the Clyde and in Fife."

Robin Mcalpine on what to do and not to do campaign wise

Disability campaigners urge Scottish Government to act as welfare powers are transferred

allegations have prompted accusations that economic data produced by ONS as been “manipulated” for political reasons. The Scottish National Party (SNP) and an economic expert have called for an investigation.

Arms firm profiting from refugee crisis paid for exclusive access to MSPs

Paddy Power odds are for Scottish Independence are now 4/7 for Indy and 5/4 for against

https://twitter.com/Lateline/status/753557344017981440
Alex Salmond opinion on Thersha May's appointment of Fanny Johnson as Foreign Secretary

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/753580675790413824
Trainers of the World Unite

Stephen Gethins (SNP MP North East Fife) is going to be doing an AMA on r/Europe at Friday 12 PM

And last but not least.

Feel the urge to pee on people? Don't do it on a Airplane...actually don't do at all.

quote:

A MAN has been arrested after allegedly urinated on some of the passengers on a flight to the Scottish capital.

The 26-year-old man was on an Edinburgh-bound easyJet flight from Copenhagen when the he is said to have tried to make a quick exit after it landed.

Staff are understood to have requested that the unidentified man remain in his seat. He is then alleged to have urinated on passengers surrounding him.

Police were alerted about the problem at 3.30pm on Wednesday. The man was led away and later charged.

An easyJet spokeswoman said: “easyJet can confirm that flight EZY6984 from Copenhagen to Edinburgh on 13 July was met by police on arrival in Edinburgh as a result of a passenger onboard behaving in a disruptive manner.

“easyJet’s cabin crew are trained to assess and evaluate all situations and to act quickly and appropriately to ensure that the safety of the flight and other passengers is not compromised at any time.

“It was reported the passenger was drinking their own alcohol onboard."

She said that for the "safety of all on board" it is illegal to drink alcohol purchases in the airport during the flight “Whilst such incidents are rare we take them very seriously, do not tolerate abusive or threatening behaviour onboard and always push for prosecution," she said.

“The safety and wellbeing of passengers and crew is always easyJet’s priority.”

Jedit posted:

To create discussion amongst the thread. Plus I tend to link to things that might not get caught on in mainstream media so hence why I feel it's my responsibility as the OP of this thread to at least bring some life into it.

Angepain posted:

Don't say that too loud or the Tories will privatise him :ohdear:

If I became privatised, I would be linking The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Express, The Telegraph and Gideo Fawkes. If that's the case you lot are going to have to renationalise me otherwise I'm doomed forever to be spouting about Foreigners and Benefit scroungers.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 14, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Patrick doing us a service.

I wouldn't put it past him but we don't actually know it was Harvie

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

It's just as lazy to simply accuse them of "always blaming Westminster" instead of actually doing something. That's an empirical claim you've made, attributing blame to the Scottish government, and you're claiming stuff like "we're being forced to alleviate Westminster cuts" isn't true, I guess?

I mean unless there's an obvious way the Scottish government can subsidise Westminster cuts and at the same time invest MORE money into the economy, all without borrowing or raising taxes in an effective way (something the devolved tax powers do not allow for), or unless you can demonstrate a way that should be apparent to the Scottish government, then your claim is easily dismissible.

In that Herald story they literally blame Westminster and say they can't do anything. The Scottish government has many, many powers and tools they can use to influence the economy. Yes, borrowing powers and more control over taxation would give them more tools, but these are not the be all and end all of government intervention (and that's not even getting into your problematic use of "effective" with respect to tax varying powers). That they are still, after a decade in power, claiming that they don't have the means or the political will to influence the Scottish economy - and that people like you accept this as a reasonable thing for a government to claim - is mind boggling. And let's not forget they recently campaigned on the promise of doing nothing with the new "effective" powers regarding current levels of taxes.

The Scottish government's record on the economy is not impressive. It doesn't even compare favourably with rUK. Look at my post in the previous thread I just linked to, look at the Fraser of Allander Institute report it refers to. Absolving a national government, even one partially limited by its position within a larger political and economic framework, for all responsibility for the state of that nation's economy is absurd, yet this is exactly what you're doing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickharvie/status/753621241861464064

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Angepain posted:

Too high up for the wee man to reach.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Please recall that Harvie and other greens have the power of levitation

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Boy, the new Stomp! reboot is really going in an unexpected direction.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Too high up for the wee man to reach.

Patrick Harvie knows how to get high

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

So I just discovered the electionleaflets.org website, and while I am sad at the lack of Ronnie the Crofter, I did find something from the Scottish Christian Party, aka the local teuchter protest vote lot:
https://electionleaflets.org/leaflets/10763/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Acaila posted:

So I just discovered the electionleaflets.org website, and while I am sad at the lack of Ronnie the Crofter, I did find something from the Scottish Christian Party, aka the local teuchter protest vote lot:
https://electionleaflets.org/leaflets/10763/

Oh, I got that one!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So I saw the headlines on the Tory papers today were all about May going to Scotland to talk to Nicola to save the union. Is she going to let us stay in the EU? Or maybe give Holyrood full control of immigration policy? Change Barnett to give us more money? Full communism now?

I can't think of anything remotely plausible that she could offer us that would make up for Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

marktheando posted:

I can't think of anything remotely plausible that she could offer us that would make up for Brexit.

Not that I've given it a great deal of thought or anything, but would May have much to lose by offering full fiscal autonomy? It might make her look a little weak, but I suspect that would be short lived and could easily be spun into generosity/decentralisation/"look how canny and conciliatory Theresa is". The effect on the UK finances would be relatively minimal in the grand scheme of things wouldn't it? It's a tangible step towards independence, but if it prevents another Indy ref (assuming there's a possibility of yes this time) in the next 5-10 years then it seems like a relatively cheap bit of can kicking for May.