Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bongwizzard posted:

What should a messenger bag cost?

I have an old old Timbuk2 bag that saw maybe 10 years of daily use and it is still kicking, sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to break it out again. Buying it was maybe the only smart thing I did when I was twenty.

$100-$200 for something like that. People just see cheap poo poo all the time and think that's the normal price and everything else is a scam. Look at men's dress shoes, most men can't fathom spending $200 on long-lasting, quality shoes when they're surrounded by $40 disposable Bostonian poo poo at wal mart.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

1redflag posted:

I am in the need of new exercise shirts. Ive just been using cotton undershirts as of late, as I don't like the feel of the few polyester shirts I've tried (as they get itchy or cause chaffing after an hour or so of running, etc), but cotton obviously stinks at moisture-wicking. I've looked into wool blends cursorily, but am afraid they will get too hot during the summer in Georgia. If anyone knows of a better YLLS thread to ask in, please show me the way.

Edit: VVVV any particular brands/lines you'd suggest?

TJ Maxx is great for stocking up on generic exercise clothes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

What should a messenger bag cost?

I have an old old Timbuk2 bag that saw maybe 10 years of daily use and it is still kicking, sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to break it out again. Buying it was maybe the only smart thing I did when I was twenty.
A $50 JanSport backpack will last 10 years of daily use.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So will a 79 cent ikea bag

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I used to work at an Amazon fulfillment center pulling orders from the warehouse shelves. When customers chose to pay extra for next day shipping a different team of people would pull those orders to make sure they were sent out on time.

They used the blue Ikea bags to carry the orders on their lap around warehouse.

Fun fact - the shoes that Amazon and Zappos sell come from the same warehouse and are stored on the same shelves all mixed together, they are just put in different boxes to ship. Brown for Amazon, white for Zappos.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

A $50 JanSport backpack will last 10 years of daily use.

I will very specifically disagree with that, as I had one as my second bag when I was traveling 40 weekends a year, that loving thing barely lasted a year and a half.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

My Jansport messenger bag is 18 years old. It hasn't had the life of a bike messenger's bag or anything though. Also it's black so it doesn't look too bad because it's black. I'm still told I should get a new one but ones I look at are either too small or too big. And I don't like the ones with the big rear end flap over them, wtf is that poo poo.

I guess it's pretty much the old version of this, I'll probably just buy this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Trans-Janspo...p_89%3AJanSport

Can anyone recommend maybe something better that closely resembles this?

colas has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Jul 10, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm gonna guess that Jansport did one of those "move factory overseas, reduce quality, raise price" things like Converse did with Chuck Taylors. I had a regular black Jansport from high school in the early 2000s all the way to a couple years ago, and it was awesome except for looking a little weathered (mostly because I treat it like poo poo). So I get me a new one that looks the same, only this one actually gets wear marks from the edges of text books inside it, the front pouch ripped from getting a tiny amount of force applied, and the straps loosen from the cheap plastic hooks all the time. It just feels different. UGH.

It don't really matter anyway tho, the Jansport is my "don't care how it looks on a camping trip" or whatever bag. For stuff you would want to bring into work, I really love Manhattan Portage. I have a big one and a ~15" laptop sized one. Much better luck with these than with Timbuk2 (which I also like very much). They don't have the same customization options as Timbuk2 but they have some sharp limited collections that look custom. My laptop bag is made out of old JetBlue uniforms, which is interesting :P

Also if anyone lives near a Sports Authority, they're running 40% - 60% off going out of business sale - lots of mid-range hiking packs at good prices. I got a nice Alpine Design bag for like $25, pretty sweet and they had plenty yesterday even though the store was picked pretty clean in other sections.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

My Jansport messenger bag is 18 years old. It hasn't had the life of a bike messenger's bag or anything though. Also it's black so it doesn't look too bad because it's black. I'm still told I should get a new one but ones I look at are either too small or too big. And I don't like the ones with the big rear end flap over them, wtf is that poo poo.

I guess it's pretty much the old version of this, I'll probably just buy this one.

Chrome Citizen, but it sits up on your back more like a backpack, less like a purse:

http://www.chromeindustries.com/citizen-messenger-bag

Unless you don't like "a flap", which is p. much ubiquitous.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I will be in the market for a new desk chair soon. My budget is probably <$150. What are some good recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

couldcareless posted:

I will be in the market for a new desk chair soon. My budget is probably <$150. What are some good recommendations?

Computer Chair Thread, unfortunately at that price point there really isn't too much available that isn't cheap junk. The IKEA Markus would probably be your best best as it has a 10 year warranty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really want to buy a rowing machine to toss in my garage and maybe use a few times a week.
Thoughts?

Amazon Prime preferred.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

I really want to buy a rowing machine to toss in my garage and maybe use a few times a week.
Thoughts?

Amazon Prime preferred.

IIRC, the concept2 was the only one really worth it's salt. But I could be mistaken as it has been awhile since I researched row machines. The home gym equipment thread might be a better place to ask specifically. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413428

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

Etrips posted:

IIRC, the concept2 was the only one really worth it's salt. But I could be mistaken as it has been awhile since I researched row machines. The home gym equipment thread might be a better place to ask specifically. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413428

This. I have a Concept 2 Model B. They stopped making them in 1993 which means my rower is at a minimum 23 years old. It still works like a champ.

Sadly because of that they're silly expensive even when they're used.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I'm looking for something I don't even know exists for definite.

Ages ago, I used to use my laptop as a second screen for my iMac. I had an app that slaved the MBPro to the iMac, so I only needed one keyboard/mouse. Obviously, however, this didn't increase my screen real estate. For various reasons, it's no longer practical for me to use my laptop in this fashion.

However, I really liked the size and positioning of it, and it was perfect for what I need. Is there anything out there that, essentially, approximates a laptop/tablet screen that's literally just a screen that's a secondary display? Something that's about 13". This might sound mad but it's literally so I can have an extension for my real estate that's not so huge it obliterates my desk, and works well for 'keeping an eye on poo poo'.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

I'm looking for something I don't even know exists for definite.

Ages ago, I used to use my laptop as a second screen for my iMac. I had an app that slaved the MBPro to the iMac, so I only needed one keyboard/mouse. Obviously, however, this didn't increase my screen real estate. For various reasons, it's no longer practical for me to use my laptop in this fashion.

However, I really liked the size and positioning of it, and it was perfect for what I need. Is there anything out there that, essentially, approximates a laptop/tablet screen that's literally just a screen that's a secondary display? Something that's about 13". This might sound mad but it's literally so I can have an extension for my real estate that's not so huge it obliterates my desk, and works well for 'keeping an eye on poo poo'.

Kind of sounds like what you want is a second monitor that isnt a traditional monitor right? What about a portable USB monitor? Its powered through USB and as close to a 'just a screen' as you can get and you can get them in a bunch of sizes, and if you need to free up some desk space you can just unplug it and tuck it away. Heres one on amazon, not 13" though https://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu...ble+usb+monitor

EDIT: another reason this popped in my head is you said you wanted one to 'keep an eye on poo poo' and when these usb monitors first came out they were really tiny and people used them just to monitor their pc conditions and run little widgets and it was cheaper then than buying a whole other monitor.

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jul 11, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

life is a joke posted:

I'm gonna guess that Jansport did one of those "move factory overseas, reduce quality, raise price" things like Converse did with Chuck Taylors.
The quality has dropped a lot. In the mid-late 80s, JanSport was a premier outdoor backpack manufacturer. Now they are discount store school bags.

Wikipedia says they were bought out and moved production overseas.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I got mine in the 90s though (the 18 year old one). Anyways, does anyone own a good arm for holding tablets? My mom as an iPad Pro and wants a holder she can use in the kitchen.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Kind of sounds like what you want is a second monitor that isnt a traditional monitor right? What about a portable USB monitor? Its powered through USB and as close to a 'just a screen' as you can get and you can get them in a bunch of sizes, and if you need to free up some desk space you can just unplug it and tuck it away. Heres one on amazon, not 13" though https://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu...ble+usb+monitor

EDIT: another reason this popped in my head is you said you wanted one to 'keep an eye on poo poo' and when these usb monitors first came out they were really tiny and people used them just to monitor their pc conditions and run little widgets and it was cheaper then than buying a whole other monitor.

Aha! 'USB Monitor' is the magic phrase I didn't know.

Thanks!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

taqueso posted:

The quality has dropped a lot. In the mid-late 80s, JanSport was a premier outdoor backpack manufacturer. Now they are discount store school bags.

Wikipedia says they were bought out and moved production overseas.

That's sad. I got my Jansport bag in 1998, when I was 12. It has had near-daily use since then. It is still in good condition.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cheerfullydrab posted:

I got my Jansport bag in 1998, when I was 12.

This should tell you everything you need to know about Jansport

colas
Feb 14, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

How dare you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas
Feb 14, 2007

oh

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Wait should I throw my backpack away?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wait should I throw my backpack away?

I see no other option.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

colas posted:

I have one of these, a limited edition version with sweet metal quick release buckles.

http://www.mixedworks.com/en/messenger-bags.html

Fair price, good materials and craftsmanship, and good design in my opinion

I am looking for some suggestions for closed-front (I have a cat) display cases for plastic toys and other knicknackery. I have an Ikea Detolf right now but it runs out of space quick.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I have one of these, a limited edition version with sweet metal quick release buckles.

http://www.mixedworks.com/en/messenger-bags.html

Fair price, good materials and craftsmanship, and good design in my opinion

I am looking for some suggestions for closed-front (I have a cat) display cases for plastic toys and other knicknackery. I have an Ikea Detolf right now but it runs out of space quick.

it's nice and thanks for the recommendation but Euro, wtf. Can I even buy this for freedom dollars?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

colas posted:

it's nice and thanks for the recommendation but Euro, wtf. Can I even buy this for freedom dollars?

Yes, you can. I did. It's a small shop and it runs on paypal so paypal will convert everything to dollars.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Yes, you can. I did. It's a small shop and it runs on paypal so paypal will convert everything to dollars.

thanks dude

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some good websites I can look for wedding bands for men?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

obi_ant posted:

I've purchased rings for my wife from Blue Nile that I've been happy with. They have a selection of men's stuff too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

colas posted:

thanks dude

Be sure to select your country at the top right btw, it lowers the price significantly if you're from the US.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

obi_ant posted:

Boone

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

No comment on the rings, but what a website!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, there's one ring I'd like to comment on:

:cripes:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Perfect for MEN who need to cut grapes and other small food items up so they're easier to eat.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Not so much a product per se, but what's the best site to get some deals on running shoes? Some on clearance for an actual good price? I can't justify $60+ for shoes anymore.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

Oh, there's one ring I'd like to comment on:

:cripes:

Is that a tiny comb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Not so much a product per se, but what's the best site to get some deals on running shoes? Some on clearance for an actual good price? I can't justify $60+ for shoes anymore.

I came across https://shoekicker.com and it seems to be alright