Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Repo Man posted:

Kanajashi put out his verdict on the Huntsman. It's another 50 ton clan medium that will be able to carry the firepower of clan heavies, and may have decent hardpoints. The renforcment pack gives you the options to use SRMs, but it isn't necessary to build a good mech. So it may be decent? Looks like it may be able to contend with the stormcrow.

The Huntsman's only as fast as the Timberwolf, which is pretty slow for a Clan medium `Mech. It's still quicker than the stock Hunchback but it'll be just as fragile as the Hunchback IIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Buschmaki posted:

What modules are good for a 2srm6 4MLa hunchback 4sp?

replace two of those MLs with flamers and watch clan mediums cry.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I slapped 2 AC20's into the K2 with 5 tons of ammo. It is slow as poo poo and had to strip a fair amount of armor out of it, but it's hilarious.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the subject of LBX-guns:

They are different from normal ACs to use effectively. They are crit-seekers.
Means you should mainly shoot open hitboxes, not waste ammo on armor.

This is terrible advice. You should shoot all guns wherever it is going to make the target die as quickly as possible. That is almost always the center torso. This is true regardless of what weapon you are using.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

This is terrible advice. You should shoot all guns wherever it is going to make the target die as quickly as possible. That is almost always the center torso. This is true regardless of what weapon you are using.

But if there is an open component that makes sense to shoot, like IS R and L torsos when they XL shoot it.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Expose yourself as much as possible for minimal effectiveness of your guns?

If you are running 2lbx and nothing else on a sniper assault, fine, plink away all day.
But if youre in a light or medium thats obliterated in an alpha you dont stare down an atlas to throw pellets at his pristine 110 armor CT.
Also you dont carry 20 tons of ammo and what you actually have is better use on open locations.

I see so many players squeezing in an extra 5 damage and die horribly in return.
This is a bad trade.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

DancingShade posted:

It's entirely possible to have a great mech, be a good pilot and still die doing a pitiful amount of damage due to ~reasons. It happens.

It just shouldn't be happening frequently.

I mean, if you are a cognizant team player and coordinating this can happen to you time and time again in the best mech - it just means you were one of the first in to the brawl and got focused down first. And this is one of those scenarios where no one gives a gently caress about your output because they know you led the push.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I mean, if you are a cognizant team player and coordinating this can happen to you time and time again in the best mech - it just means you were one of the first in to the brawl and got focused down first. And this is one of those scenarios where no one gives a gently caress about your output because they know you led the push.

Welcome to Atlasland.
Although you realistically end up leading a push that your team supports bravely by firing snapshots from behind cover and lets you die alone and cold.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Expose yourself as much as possible for minimal effectiveness of your guns?

other random babble

I'm not seeing any reason to not aim for CT whenever possible. Yeah, it takes 110 damage to cut through front CT on an Atlas. You're going to need to start at some point to kill that Atlas.

The rest is some random advice about trading fire and playing defensively and choosing your shots, none of which is a good reason to not shoot CT whenever possible.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm not seeing any reason to not aim for CT whenever possible. Yeah, it takes 110 damage to cut through front CT on an Atlas. You're going to need to start at some point to kill that Atlas.

The rest is some random advice about trading fire and playing defensively and choosing your shots, none of which is a good reason to not shoot CT whenever possible.

This whole LBX-business was in reply to a nova build.
You dont carry unlimited ammo on a nova.
If you plink all your lbx ammo into ct armor, youre wasting a lot of potential that should go into open CTs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you plink all your lbx ammo into ct armor, youre wasting a lot of potential that should go into open CTs.

you don't put ballistics on a nova if you want a good mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Random Number posted:

you don't put ballistics on a nova if you want a good mech.

He wanted a nova that made use of the ballistic quirks.
So putting ballistics on a nova was kind of like a staple.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If that is the case, then you hold your fire until you have a target with either an open CT or an open leg. You don't waste your shots against a nonlethal body part, open or not, more so when you are a not particularly durable mech with limited ammo.

There are a few exceptions, like those Thunderbolts with 100% of their weapons in a single side torso, but that's all they are, exceptions to the rule.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Yolomon Wayne posted:

He wanted a nova that made use of the ballistic quirks.
So putting ballistics on a nova was kind of like a staple.

GetGud Kid

RA: +13 Armor, +10 structure
LA: +26 armor
UAC/2 Quirks: +20% Velocity, cooldown. + 10% range. -30% jam
+10% MG ROF

Total Damage potential : 760
To get 300 damage a match you would need lik3 39% accuracy with all weapons in optimal range. Try your best kids!

I would recommend dropping the MGs and ammo and picking up 2 MLas in the side torsos but hey, ballistics nova.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 14, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The BAP counters 1 ECM within a 360m radius, right? And boosts your sensor range by 25% and targeting info acquisition speed by 25%, and you don't lose your locks within 120m when an enemy mech shuts down.

Seems fairly useful. I have a fairly energy heavy build at the moment on my Nova however, would it be worth losing 1 of my 8 double heat sinks to put on the BAP? I'm leaning towards yes, but maybe the extra bit of potential DPS/shut down avoidance would be useful?

edit:

TheParadigm posted:

Consider the humble Advanced Sensor Range. I almost never run without a BAP these days, usually for crit-shielding purposes on fatter mechs, and it has some nice synergies.

I assume you mean crit-seeking.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 14, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Artificer posted:

The BAP counters 1 ECM within a 360m radius, right? And boosts your sensor range by 25% and targeting info acquisition speed by 25%, and you don't lose your locks within 120m when an enemy mech shuts down.

Seems fairly useful. I have a fairly energy heavy build at the moment on my Nova however, would it be worth losing 1 of my 8 double heat sinks to put on the BAP? I'm leaning towards yes, but maybe the extra bit of potential DPS/shut down avoidance would be useful?

edit:

Normally, I'd say BAP would be of only marginal utility, but DHS do so little in this game, sure, why not?

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Replacing a heatsink with a bap is probably situational. If anyone is running streaks with you I'd say "HELL YES". Some of the best and most fun games that I have had is when you have at least half the group running streak crows and streak timbers that absolutely murder everything. With the pinpoint damage a nova does I can see the 25% to targeting info being useful as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Getting back into playing more on the regular. Did the Cyclops turn out to be poo poo? It's one of my favorite-looking mechs and it's probably a shame if it's poo poo in MWO.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drone posted:

Getting back into playing more on the regular. Did the Cyclops turn out to be poo poo? It's one of my favorite-looking mechs and it's probably a shame if it's poo poo in MWO.

not out yet. It might be OK, will depend on quirks. The all-missile one could be a nasty push-leader

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Drone posted:

It looks to be a good mech. I agree with Patton, depending on quirks it could be really good. There is an ecm version and it would be nice to have another assault on the IS side with ecm other than the DDC.

If it gets atlas level structure quirks it could be pretty amazing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's also hugely dependent on how the hit boxes work.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Zyphoid posted:

Replacing a heatsink with a bap is probably situational. If anyone is running streaks with you I'd say "HELL YES". Some of the best and most fun games that I have had is when you have at least half the group running streak crows and streak timbers that absolutely murder everything. With the pinpoint damage a nova does I can see the 25% to targeting info being useful as well.

I already run a tarcomp, so combined I should be very quickly able to pop my head out, lock, and shoot an exposed component very quickly.

That and the boost to sensor range are mostly why I am considering it. 7 heat sinks not including engine for 5 smlas and 5 Mlas shouldn't be too awful.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Anyone have thoughts on the viper coming in a few days? The it will be one of the only clan mechs I can think of that will do 139kph. Pretty good mix of missiles and energy on the mech. 6 energy 2 missiles could be a lot of fun shooting butts in a light pack. Size could hurt or help it. If it's nova-ish I can see having a lot of fun. If it's pheonix hawk sized it could be another medium that blows goats.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving tiny weapons payload for the tonnage. It's weighted down by too many jump jets.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

No, I absolutely mean crit shields. I very deliberately stuff baps next to ac20s and engines(especially in a ct), and other equipment I don't want to lose, just to add hit points to junk in an open section. Once your armor is open, incoming damage had a chance to kill items in that location, which have their own hp. The more poo poo you shove in, the more damage is spread about to your internals.

Half tons of totally non explosive gauss ammo work as well. 10 hp for a half ton is about as good a deal as you get.

Check smurfys equipment y page for item hp, it's kind of illuminating.

Edit: if you've ever played an atlas and gone "gently caress there goes my ac twenty, again.... This is what you do to keep it trucking.
I just prefer the bap for the side perks. Half ton over the two gauss is nothing on v big robots

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zyphoid posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the viper coming in a few days? The it will be one of the only clan mechs I can think of that will do 139kph. Pretty good mix of missiles and energy on the mech. 6 energy 2 missiles could be a lot of fun shooting butts in a light pack. Size could hurt or help it. If it's nova-ish I can see having a lot of fun. If it's pheonix hawk sized it could be another medium that blows goats.

I feel like it could actually be really good in scouting mode

The Ice Ferret is already a great scouting mech and this seems like a better fridge

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

No, I absolutely mean crit shields. I very deliberately stuff baps next to ac20s and engines(especially in a ct), and other equipment I don't want to lose, just to add hit points to junk in an open section. Once your armor is open, incoming damage had a chance to kill items in that location, which have their own hp. The more poo poo you shove in, the more damage is spread about to your internals.

Half tons of totally non explosive gauss ammo work as well. 10 hp for a half ton is about as good a deal as you get.

Check smurfys equipment y page for item hp, it's kind of illuminating.

Edit: if you've ever played an atlas and gone "gently caress there goes my ac twenty, again.... This is what you do to keep it trucking.
I just prefer the bap for the side perks. Half ton over the two gauss is nothing on v big robots

Ah makes sense. Thanks.

You run BAP on nearly everything?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Long Tom adjustments
Blast Radius is being reduced from 300m to 200m, max amount of Damage to a single ‘Mech is being reduced from 150DMG per component to 120 DMG per component.

They keep having to nerf the Long Tom because its hilariously OP to have massive damage to all mechs in a wide area every 30 seconds. Why dont they do something simpler like have Long Toms being unlocked upgrade the normal arty strike? Then its not just random death raining down constantly while the enemy camps in safety, they still have to actually do something now and then to get one to happen. Plus, its less random and happens less often overall.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Great Beer posted:

Long Tom adjustments
Blast Radius is being reduced from 300m to 200m, max amount of Damage to a single ‘Mech is being reduced from 150DMG per component to 120 DMG per component.

They keep having to nerf the Long Tom because its hilariously OP to have massive damage to all mechs in a wide area every 30 seconds. Why dont they do something simpler like have Long Toms being unlocked upgrade the normal arty strike? Then its not just random death raining down constantly while the enemy camps in safety, they still have to actually do something now and then to get one to happen. Plus, its less random and happens less often overall.

no it's better when four mechs get insta-nuked by fiat

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

no it's better when four mechs get insta-nuked by fiat

Four? What the gently caress are you talking about. I saw 7 mechs, four of which were assaults all one shot killed by this stupid loving mechanic. On an FW half the mechs on my team were killed by the long tom alone.

It's so blindly stupid I just don't understand how it made it out of testing. Unless their was no testing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zyphoid posted:

Four? What the gently caress are you talking about. I saw 7 mechs, four of which were assaults all one shot killed by this stupid loving mechanic. On an FW half the mechs on my team were killed by the long tom alone.

It's so blindly stupid I just don't understand how it made it out of testing. Unless their was no testing.

I died to mr tom 3 times in that game :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
really the Long Tom should just be an extended barrage of 30-damage hits -- enough to worry uninjured 'mechs or potentially kill opened ones, but not something that will completely change the game

also folks dropping on planets against Long Toms should receive, like, triple LP/Cbill rewards

there I fixed CW

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

I feel like it could actually be really good in scouting mode

The Ice Ferret is already a great scouting mech and this seems like a better fridge

The Ferret and the 'Cat both have the same problem of being hardpoint starved. One of the things that is so great about the crow (and yes I know it's pretty much the perfect medium) is that it has so many hardpoints across so many pods that I always run out of tonnage before I run out of points. You can literally play it almost any way you want. I would even go so far as to say that the number of available hardpoints on a mech is more important the smaller it is. The viper is super fast, and it's limited tonnage is somewhat mitigated by the plethora of hardpoint choices. 6 small lasers can be brutal up close and only weigh 3 pounds. The resized nova's staggering ability to slice up mechs with 12 ersmls is kinda the epitome of this now that it's not barn door sized.

I know as an assault pilot when I see a nova closing range I turn and shoot the hell out of it because I know it's going to start carving off components if the pilot has any skill at all.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why does someone put a bunch of lrm launchers on an assault mech? How is it any fun to sit staring at a wall shooting missiles you can't aim at something you can't see for 10 minutes at a time?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zyphoid posted:

Unless their was no testing.
Um, is there any question that it was tested? Because I can tell you with confidence that it was not tested.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

Why does someone put a bunch of lrm launchers on an assault mech? How is it any fun to sit staring at a wall shooting missiles you can't aim at something you can't see for 10 minutes at a time?

Because pubbies hate it when they scratch their paint. Notice how all the bads in the game do nothing but lrm and erll at max range?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I saw an atlas on my team with 4 LBX 10s and 2 medium lasers sit back and snipe all game, and it was then that I realized there was no god.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Buschmaki posted:

I saw an atlas on my team with 4 LBX 10s and 2 medium lasers sit back and snipe all game, and it was then that I realized there was no god.

Wait, what?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
He was sitting in a corner on forest colony, plinking away at 600m while I implored him to please move and help while crying at my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

He was sitting in a corner on forest colony, plinking away at 600m while I implored him to please move and help while crying at my computer.

nah he's saying the Atlas can't fit 4 LBX-10

Mauler maybe?

• Locked thread