Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Some words from the director of Die Hard and Predator, among others:
http://www.avclub.com/article/die-hard-director-john-mctiernan-calls-superhero-m-239527

McTiernan posted:

For one thing, he really liked Argo, but he dismisses Mad Max: Fury Road as a “corporate product” (and even gives it a “pfff”). Continuing on that trend, he says he hates most movies “for political reasons” and adds that comic book adaptations “are films made by fascists” to convince children that they’ll “never be important enough.”

He believes the Captain America series is the worst offender of this, explaining that “the cult of American hyper-masculinity is one of the worst things that has happened in the world during the last 50 years” and that “hundreds of thousands of people died because of this stupid illusion.” Because of that, he doesn’t understand how anyone can “watch a movie called Captain America.”

Surprised about the Mad Max comment more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
McTiernan owns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
McTiernan indeed owns - I need to give The Hunt for Red October another shake.

And, like, he's not wrong about Mad Max: Fury Road. I think all the Mad Max films are good-to-great, with Beyond Thunderdome being my favorite - But Fury Road comparatively is an extremely 'streamlined' realization of an action movie in the post-Michael Bay aesthetic, whereas the superior Wyrmwood is actually a superb independent film like Mad Max that falls outside both the narrow margins of exploitation and 'serious' genre cinema. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2sPkfPKwc

Compared to Wyrmwood and the original Mad Max, the politics of Fury Road are downright fascistic and assimilationist.

By the way, anybody who hasn't seen McTiernan's debut Nomads is doing themselves a deep disservice.

edit: Sorry, wrong video link edited to

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 14, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not sure how anyone can like Beyond Thunderdome since the first two were so amazing - then it just goes to poo poo as soon as Tina Turner shows up. And even worse once he gets to the kids camp.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Vintersorg posted:

Not sure how anyone can like Beyond Thunderdome since the first two were so amazing - then it just goes to poo poo as soon as Tina Turner shows up. And even worse once he gets to the kids camp.

Nah, both of those things are executed well, and it's a great and weird movie.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

K. Waste posted:

But Fury Road comparatively is an extremely 'streamlined' realization of an action movie in the post-Michael Bay aesthetic, whereas the superior Wyrmwood is actually a superb independent film like Mad Max that falls outside both the narrow margins of exploitation and 'serious' genre cinema.

Mad max is definitely my favorite of the series, especially for it's indie budget and hand held shots, but I wouldn't call fury road a corporate product, especially when the message and the marketing surrounding it wasn't financially optimal at all. Usually we just call it great film making. Is Scott pilgrim vs the world a corporate product?(no)

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 14, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Russian-to-English transition in Hunt for Red October was genius.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Russian-to-English transition in Hunt for Red October was genius.

It is one of the coolest things in any movie, and it could only happen in cinema. Completely uses the strength of the medium to "tell" you something.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm really not too sure how Mad Max: Fury Road is a corporate product aside from the fact it was distributed by one of the Big Six studios. The film was wildly unconventional, had a "I don't give a gently caress" attitude, seemed to want to redefine action films and you could tell even the advertising department had a problem trying to sell it ("What a Lovely Day!" is all they had and by far my biggest piece of evidence against corporate-friendly). I simply cannot agree with what McTiernan said at all.

Beyond Thunderdom is weird, that's all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I love Wyrmwood and Fury Road and tolerate Thunderdome.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is one of the coolest things in any movie, and it could only happen in cinema. Completely uses the strength of the medium to "tell" you something.

And it happens on "Armageddon," which apparently is the same phonetically in both languages. The 13th Warrior did it too, but in that scenario Banderas' character was somehow learning the Norse language just by observing some vikings around a campfire. 13th Warrior still owns though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And it happens on "Armageddon," which apparently is the same phonetically in both languages. The 13th Warrior did it too, but in that scenario Banderas' character was somehow learning the Norse language just by observing some vikings around a campfire. 13th Warrior still owns though.

I only watched it once but I remember loving it. I need to revisit that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Beyond Thunderdome had weird, kind of sanitized (for a Mad Max film, at least) feel to it. Something just so oddly commercial yet completely insane that I can't help but associate with the mid to late 80s. Like Freddy Krueger shilling Pepsi cola. I don't know if that makes sense. It's just so of its time. I can see why it's hit-or-miss for a lot of people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got a Mad Max DVD box a few weeks ago and watched them more or less blind in order over a few days. Imagine my surprise at Beyond Thunderdome.

I like it, actually, it's just remarkably like halfway through Steven Spielberg had taken over.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 14, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just found it weird he dismissed a George Miller opus as being too commercial after doing stuff like Die Hard 3 and Last Action Hero. But I guess he admitted to hating 'most movies' for political reasons so it's a pretty different lens to mine.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

bushisms.txt posted:

Mad max is definitely my favorite of the series, especially for it's indie budget and hand held shots, but I wouldn't call fury road a corporate product, especially when the message and the marketing surrounding it wasn't financially optimal at all.

The marketing isn't really what's important here. McTiernan's point is the political message of the film itself.

Paraphrasing Zizek, on the 'future' scenes in The Matrix: "If the struggle takes place solely in the 'desert of the real,' it is another boring dystopia about the remnants of humanity fighting evil machines." Even within the post-apocalyptic genre, Fury Road is politically to the right of (for example) Terminator Salvation - which had the gumption to ruthlessly critique the 'Human Resistance' side.

While Fury Road is certainly not a bad movie, it has the form of an extremely condensed thematic remake of the first six Star Wars films. It has the same cyclical structure (the republic becomes the empire, which becomes the republic...), while lacking Star Wars' satirical qualities - and its Darth Vader figure. In this sense, Fury Road is 'more corporate' than Star Wars. Or exactly as corporate as Star Wars 7.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 14, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Valkyrie does that too at the very beginning.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Electromax posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/die-hard-director-john-mctiernan-calls-superhero-m-239527

I mean, he ain't wrong for the most part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Electromax posted:

lmao. A little bitter there John?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
McTiernan is a fuckin' idiot. Oh lah dee dah let me criticize this movie for being fascist even though I clearly haven't watched it. I mean, there's a LOT of legitimate criticisms of Marvel movies but calling Captain America "fascist"? Come the gently caress on!

"I punched out Hitler 200 times" - a colossal fascist

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 14, 2016

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even within the post-apocalyptic genre, Fury Road is politically to the right of (for example) Terminator Salvation - which had the gumption to ruthlessly critique the 'Human Resistance' side.

While Fury Road is certainly not a bad movie, it has the form of an extremely condensed thematic remake of the first six Star Wars films. It has the same cyclical structure (the republic becomes the empire, which becomes the republic...), while lacking Star Wars' satirical qualities - and its Darth Vader figure. In this sense, Fury Road is 'more corporate' than Star Wars. Or exactly as corporate as Star Wars 7.
But wouldn't this be the satirical point, that the movie is the right wing end game? And that it eschews the blockbuster format of exposition ladened scenes with plot points for plot points, what sets it apart and above those? The movie starts with the planning of the heist done, which is the first half of any lesser movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phylodox posted:

Beyond Thunderdome had weird, kind of sanitized (for a Mad Max film, at least) feel to it. Something just so oddly commercial yet completely insane that I can't help but associate with the mid to late 80s. Like Freddy Krueger shilling Pepsi cola. I don't know if that makes sense. It's just so of its time. I can see why it's hit-or-miss for a lot of people.

Agreed. I didn't like it either. I think the Tina Turner music videos and poo poo had a lot to do with what you're describing. Still wanna see the new one. Hmm....maybe tonight.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Network Pesci posted:

McTiernan is a fuckin' idiot. Oh lah dee dah let me criticize this movie for being fascist even though I clearly haven't watched it. I mean, there's a LOT of legitimate criticisms of Marvel movies but calling Captain America "fascist"? Come the gently caress on!

He said the films were made by fascists, to promote hyper-masculinity, which he considers toxic.

Considering McTiernan shot this I consider that interesting.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Most of the people in this movie were killed by a fishnet-wearing monster with a vagina for a mouth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Most of the people in this movie were killed by a fishnet-wearing monster with a vagina for a mouth.

Also all of the Ultra Masculinity only gets them slaughtered and a few trees cut down.

It's only by being smart and clever, hiding instead of directly attacking, that Arnold manages to win at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective Dog Dick posted:

That reminds me, has anyone seen the new Rocky Horror made-for-TV movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not out until October I believe.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I saw that but back in April, and there hasn't really been an update to justify reporting on it this week. It basically seems like this dude was rooting around for more poo poo to talk about MoS and found this thing that happened 3 months ago.

Yeah, must be the ongoing global conspiracy to put down history's only perfect film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, must be the ongoing global conspiracy to put down history's only perfect film.

Finally someone gets it!

I did miss the new development tho, my bad

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yo Spidey, how's it hanging?

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFilming/status/753317672755036160

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFilming/status/753316199614865412

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Avengers ain't all bad.
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/753297347757563904

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

He said the films were made by fascists, to promote hyper-masculinity, which he considers toxic.

Buncha slack-jawed faggots *spits tobacco* goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus ain't got time to bleed *flexes muscles* toxic hypermasculinity

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

I'm not sure you know what fascism is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Fascism is a pretty big charge considering Marvel has direct competition from DC.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HIJK posted:

Fascism is a pretty big charge considering Marvel has direct competition from DC.

You either.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain America isn't fascist, he kissed Peggy's niece

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The guy who directed Die Hard whining about toxic masculinity is pretty bizarre.

Edit: I mean you can make a pretty good case that Predator is about vaginas are better than silly muscles, but Die Hard is like peak conservative 80s Hollywood along with Red Dawn and Ferris Bueller.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 15, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/753809579813670913
:allears:

Gal looks amazing. Really hope the WW trailer drops at Comic-Con and they release it online.

[edit] hi-res versions

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 15, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TetsuoTW posted:

You either.

Fascism is the unholy alliance between business and government which does not encourage competition. Marvel has legal competition in the form of DC and other action movies, which precludes fascism or even a monopoly. Also, Marvel is not the government and isn't oppressing citizens by limiting free speech and expression.

As for the character of Captain America, Steve has been pretty anti-authoritarian in the movies, which...also precludes fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Away all Goats posted:

Captain America isn't fascist, he kissed Peggy's niece

Okay I'll explain the difference one more time: if a person is afraid to kiss someone that makes them a facist.

• Locked thread