Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Presented without comment, here's what she sounds like in real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-h3J0cFxMU

lets try that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Density posted:

Y'all must be stuck in leaver queue yourselves because I almost never get my games ruined by people quitting.

The hyperbole in the thread is ridiculous. I've never had anyone leave in comp and I've never been on a team with more than 1 widow. If you were to believe this thread, any time you play with the unwashed masses, this is the case.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In terms of determining who needs balance, literally no human being provides good feedback. That's what statistics are for.

Going to the 500 best players in the game for ideas of what to change once you establish who needs changes isn't a bad place to start, though.

I don't follow competitive high-level Overwatch as much as other folks in these threads do but I seem to recall that before the patch that "raped and murdered" Widowmaker, to take one of his complaints, that a big chunk of high-level play largely hinged on whose Widowmaker could establish superiority first and go on a murder-spree. So I mean, it's highly likely that the performance of the top 500 was in fact a factor there and not just the whining of the "silvers" that resulted in a change which has apparently had the effect that Widowmaker is no longer an instant must-have in comp Overwatch, and preventing the game from ossifying around a single character or comp is kind of a good and healthy thing for any competitive game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't follow competitive high-level Overwatch as much as other folks in these threads do but I seem to recall that before the patch that "raped and murdered" Widowmaker, to take one of his complaints, that a big chunk of high-level play largely hinged on whose Widowmaker could establish superiority first and go on a murder-spree. So I mean, it's highly likely that the performance of the top 500 was in fact a factor there and not just the whining of the "silvers" that resulted in a change which has apparently had the effect that Widowmaker is no longer an instant must-have in comp Overwatch, and preventing the game from ossifying around a single character or comp is kind of a good and healthy thing for any competitive game.

Yeah, Blizzard aren't idiots. They aren't the Platonic ideal of game designers either, but they seem to strike a pretty honest balance between competitive play and crowd-pleasing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Macaluso posted:

This is so great "I GOT LAWYERS. CALL MY BLUFF DO IT I GOT 100 LAWYERS" "If you're lawyers would like to contact our legal team go for it lol"

This is literally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hhAH4mlQk

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rufio posted:

The hyperbole in the thread is ridiculous. I've never had anyone leave in comp and I've never been on a team with more than 1 widow. If you were to believe this thread, any time you play with the unwashed masses, this is the case.

I've played the 10 placement matches and people left in at least 6 of them.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

A 100 years from now Tracer's accent will be used to portray prestige and wealth on television.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also if we're talking personal experiences I can tell you that I have in fact played a whole lot of games with double Genjis or double Hanzos on my teams. Just last night was Numbani attack, two Genjis on our team and a single Bastion on the enemy team and the Bastion spent the entire game pretty much unopposed because the Genjis would fail to deflect/close the distance in time and die over and over again.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you leave a ranked game you should be put in front of the official Blizz Firing Squad and executed.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Presented without comment, here's what she sounds like in real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-h3J0cFxMU

like a normal person yeah.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

I am level 40, and my competitive rank is 42. I best with Mei, Hanzo, and Reaper. I am on the Europe server, and my code is #2240.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

:wink:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
42 is higher than I expected for someone who lists mei and hanzo as bests. Maybe they reaper more often than they let on.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I've been practicing a bunch with Genji and I feel like I've gotten the hang of him, except when it comes to using his ult. It feels like the best time to use his ult (a small group of enemies clustered up) is also the worst time to use it, because everyone immediately focuses on the screaming Japanese guy and I die before I can get anything done. It also doesn't help that I mainly use Genji against turret-heavy teams, and running into a group backed up by three turrets with only a melee weapon is suicide. Any tips?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FaustianQ posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about this, as 50% hits break points on virtually every character, but in comparison 30% limits the usefulness to a handful, such as Pharah and Junkrat. McCree is a good example, at 30% his damage is 91which is just under a 200 damage headshot, so for 30% he still needs the same number of shots while not boosted. 50% mean he needs one shot less no matter the scenario. Rienhardt still needs to hit Reaper three times @ 30%, only twice if 50% (tanks move from 5-6 to 4-5, etc).

It does mean though there are times when it's legitimately better to pull out the pistol then boost @ 30%, such as above mentioned cases.

not changing the damage thresholds is a huge point in 30%'s favor imo since it rewards focus fire and team play rather than just one guy with good aim deleting people for free. people that can now kill 200 health characters in 1 hit with the 50% boost:

mei
torb
mccree (kills roadhog from full in 3 headshots or 2 fans; zarya dies in 2 headshots or 1 fan)
reaper (technically possible before but it needed a point blank headshot. the extra 70 damage will help him a lot)

then we have roadhog doing over 300 damage with his alt fire, widow doing 450 with a headshot (30% boosted widow can't ohko a zarya from full health but that obviously changes with the 50% boost), rein killing tracers in 1 hit with firestrike and any 200 health hero in just 2 swings of the hammer, bastion doing over 700 damage per second, etc. you just won't have time to react anymore because you'll be dead as soon as you get hit

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

New info on the 60tick server thing

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20746864847?page=2#post-30

Basically people in Korea and South America are having weird issues with it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

The funny thing about the 'Dota is balances around high level players' is that oftentimes when a patch hits those very players will be the ones saying 'hey this buff to (whoever) is completely ludicrous what the hell are they thinking and this other nerf makes no sense.' Like, it's balanced AROUND high level play but that doesn't mean they know what needs to happen or have pristine balance changes to impart.

Then again, Dota takes the shotgun approach to balance. In a lot of cases literally every hero in the game will get some small change or another, and they never ever include explanatory paragraphs about 'hey we thought that this ability was too strong so we :words:' in the notes. Like, if you're not familiar here's the most recent major patch. There are like 10 different groups that make up to three hour long patch analysis videos where they just read through the thing and try to figure out what the new meta is going to be, and a week after the patch hits they're almost always universally wrong.

Dota balance patches aren't really about balance, it's valve throwing out so many changes at once that no one knows what the most OP thing is until like 1 month later, at which point the game becomes awful until the next crazy patch

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Zoness posted:

42 is higher than I expected for someone who lists mei and hanzo as bests. Maybe they reaper more often than they let on.

I play comp with some regulars and we have a Hanzo main and someone who plays Mei quite a bit in the mid/high 50's, much to my chagrin, heh.

Our Hanzo guy might need to switch now that they're going to nerf Hanzo's hitbox to hell.

Edit: Our Hanzo guy gets kills though. I would prefer something else, but i'm not going to be a dick about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I play Mei pretty often and I'm ranked 64 in comp. Suck it nerds

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mister Fister posted:

I play comp with some regulars and we have a Hanzo main and someone who plays Mei quite a bit in the mid/high 50's, much to my chagrin, heh.

Our Hanzo guy might need to switch now that they're going to nerf Hanzo's hitbox to hell.

Edit: Our Hanzo guy gets kills though. I would prefer something else, but i'm not going to be a dick about it.

He'll likely become an Ana main.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Hughmoris posted:

He'll likely become an Ana main.

I would've suggested Roadhog since he likes a broken hitbox character, but we already got one and Roadhog is going to get hosed by the new changes!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like most of my stats are heavily skewed because I keep throwing myself against 5 other people in the hopes that my team will help me out. I do that way too much with Zarya.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm already an Ana main.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mister Fister posted:

I would've suggested Roadhog since he likes a broken hitbox character, but we already got one and Roadhog is going to get hosed by the new changes!

Is he? I could see the hook getting excepted from the projectile changes.

Unless you mean "Zenyatta's good now" in which case, eh.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I played the inhouse yeseterday on PTR and Zenyatta is loving amazing. Roadhog is going to get melted down in seconds vs. a coordinated team with Zenyatta.

Also Mcree's buff hurts Roadhog as well.

Edit: Also, Every time Reinhardt charged or lost his shield or me getting behind/from the side, i melted him down with discord + my attack orbs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm teetering between 57 and 58 and I regularly play Mei. I'd say she's my third most played after Roadhog and Pharah. I feel like I contribute to my team every time I play Mei. There really needs to be a way to quantify the inconvenience your wall imposes on the other team.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zen's decent now, but on top of that McCree is now apparently a solid midrange DPS which can stay out of effective hook range while still plugging away and Ana's biotic grenade can really ruin Roadhog's day. He hasn't been consigned to the dumpster, but the right team comp stands a good chance of making his life miserable.

Conversely, a nanoboosted Roadhog can apparently get poo poo done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ana's healing denial hurts him as well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zorodius posted:

The Hanzo I fear is the one on my team, not theirs. So this nerf makes it even easier for a teammate to flush 30 minutes of your life down the shitter because he insists on playing Worthless Anime Man.

People get frustrated by Hanzo kills since they're so random, but like shark attacks, they're not such a threat in the big picture. You don't notice the 28 times he whiffed before scatter shotting your feet.

This is basically the case for Junkrat, but no one complains about him. At least Hanzo briefly needs line-of-sight to the person he blindly spams high-damage projectiles in the general direction of.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Main Paineframe posted:

This is basically the case for Junkrat, but no one complains about him.

This is because junkrat is a poo poo hero and should cause no fear in the enemy. Whatever a junkrat can do, another class can do, better. It's not because he does too little damage or his design is in need of a big change, but because in capable hands another hero will simply do more, more reliably and with less inevitable 100-charged zaryas running around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

junkrat pipes are bigger and slower so you can see and avoid them. he also can't kill you in one hit like hanzo or widow can so you can react after a hit.

being able to see what the junkrat is actually doing helps him feel more useful when he's on your team as well, whereas with hanzo he might as well not even be there between firing his dragons. it's just hard to see what a hanzo is doing to help you because he'll probably be behind you somewhere

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kehveli posted:

This is because junkrat is a poo poo hero and should cause no fear in the enemy. Whatever a junkrat can do, another class can do, better. It's not because he does too little damage or his design is in need of a big change, but because in capable hands another hero will simply do more, more reliably and with less inevitable 100-charged zaryas running around.

:what:

junkrat is mostly ok it's just he is somewhat situational (favors narrow, low chokes) and matches up very poorly against pharah

obviously junkrat shouldn't go out of his way to fight pharah but he does take up a damage dealer spot on the team

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

up the speed on Pharah's rocket launcher so it feels like exactly what it is: the Direct Hit

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Zoness posted:

:what:

junkrat is mostly ok it's just he is somewhat situational (favors narrow, low chokes) and matches up very poorly against pharah

Junkrat is a fun guy to play and can do decent work on some level, but if you're actually trying to min-max your team on any level he won't make the cut. Also he won't get instant picks unless out of mistakes from the picked player most of the time, so it's no wonder people aren't up in arms about him. When you want a tank (or two) a healer (or two) and a hitscan hero, the remaining slots just won't have room for him usually. That said, most heroes don't make the cut either but with 20+ increasing heroes, the meta is going to shift dudes in and out of favor. It's just hard to see a grenadeguy filling a niche that isn't better served having something else.

Obviously if it's not an evening of tryharding, who cares as he's fun to play and if the other team isn't sweating while they play either, he won't be actual dead weight.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

This is basically the case for Junkrat, but no one complains about him. At least Hanzo briefly needs line-of-sight to the person he blindly spams high-damage projectiles in the general direction of.

Oh, really?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mister Fister posted:

I played the inhouse yeseterday on PTR and Zenyatta is loving amazing. Roadhog is going to get melted down in seconds vs. a coordinated team with Zenyatta.

Also Mcree's buff hurts Roadhog as well.

Edit: Also, Every time Reinhardt charged or lost his shield or me getting behind/from the side, i melted him down with discord + my attack orbs.

Roadhog's really had the boot put in him. McCree now fucks him up outside of hook range, Zenyatta can take him down, and Ana's grenades remove his single survival skill.

I kind of feel bad for him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Main Paineframe posted:

Junkrat's grenades glow bright red and make a very distinctive sound.

Junkrat spamming his grenades can only get kills from the most clueless people imaginable, it's all about the aerial denial.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Roadhog's really had the boot put in him. McCree now fucks him up outside of hook range, Zenyatta can take him down, and Ana's grenades remove his single survival skill.

nah gently caress him

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The current PTR drastically changes the balance of power between healing and mitigation, which sucks for the one tank with zero forms of mitigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

all yall junkrat haters just jealous please buff junkrat tia

Ddraig posted:

it was kind of inevitable. he was gradually becoming the new old mccree in that he can combo-kill nearly any non-tank almost instantly and survive a lot of punishment on top of that. his only real counter was a reaper or another roadhog. now he's got more counters, instead of being directly nerfed.

i think the mccree buff was a bit much though.