Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Night10194 posted:

Rapier, hatchet (lol), everything the elf has besides the dual swords, hammer, 2h axe, 1h mace, hagbane, repeater pistol, repeater rifle, brace of pistols, volley crossbow, mostly.

Is beam staff pointless now? I know it got nerfed but it used to be the #1 Roger buster. Is it no good even at that anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, I just don't think of Sienna's stuff because I usually don't play her.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The beam staff is great, it's just hard to technically compare it to the aimbo(l)t staff. If not for the auto aim from hell then it'd still be #1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Auto aim from hell is right. That poo poo on both weapons fails to hit a target like 60% of the time for me.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TheTatteredKing posted:

What weapons are good against the rat ogre? Like in general. I'm not sure what is peoples' good options against that thing, it's easier to figure out what owns a bunch of trash mobs.

Strength potion + hagbane m1 spam is all you need to completely trivialize rat ogres.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

Auto aim from hell is right. That poo poo on both weapons fails to hit a target like 60% of the time for me.

I pointed that out to the pubbies that used it before and got themselves and teammates killed that the bolt will auto target critters running around on the ground rather than the rats attacking them. Got zero response though. Almost always the bolt staffer was the first one to die in a game or die when it mattered, when I played.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Safety Factor posted:

Tell of this DOOMDWARF build. Grudge raker and?

that's it.

the thing about the grudgeraker is that it's RMB shove is good enough that you honestly don't need a melee weapon. an orange shove kills slave rats up to at least nightmare in one hit, clanrats take 2. the Grudgeraker itself benefits strongly from master crafted for faster reload, scavenger (obvious), and regrowth/bloodlust. my current one has master crafted, scavenger, and regrowth.

you still keep a melee weapon (your choice) around to help with stormvermin, since the grudge doesn't have armor piercing, and you are helpless as a kitten against packmasters (they have 80% resistance to shotgun fire because gently caress you that's why) but beyond that you can enjoy getting 400+ kills on a normal length level, almost all ranged, shouting DOOM memes the entire time.

i like to get on voice and start quoting the Doom comic as much as possible.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Are there any goons who are down to play on cataclysm? I've beaten every map on nightmare with 2 grims and I have every character decked out with orange weapons with solid traits but playing cata with just 1-2 friends you always get a pubbie who dies to clan rats 5 seconds in and wipes the team.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Coolguye posted:

that's it.

the thing about the grudgeraker is that it's RMB shove is good enough that you honestly don't need a melee weapon. an orange shove kills slave rats up to at least nightmare in one hit, clanrats take 2. the Grudgeraker itself benefits strongly from master crafted for faster reload, scavenger (obvious), and regrowth/bloodlust. my current one has master crafted, scavenger, and regrowth.

you still keep a melee weapon (your choice) around to help with stormvermin, since the grudge doesn't have armor piercing, and you are helpless as a kitten against packmasters (they have 80% resistance to shotgun fire because gently caress you that's why) but beyond that you can enjoy getting 400+ kills on a normal length level, almost all ranged, shouting DOOM memes the entire time.

i like to get on voice and start quoting the Doom comic as much as possible.

But why no rupture. Skip on the health, take every healing pack and if someone calls you on it just fix em with a DOOMDWARF glare.

Grudge raker rupture is never not funny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

el dingo posted:

But why no rupture. Skip on the health, take every healing pack and if someone calls you on it just fix em with a DOOMDWARF glare.

Grudge raker rupture is never not funny

rupture is not really required because the grudgeraker shoots out so many pellets that all rats in the reticle tend to get hit anyway. the health is just as much for DOOMDWARF making trumpeting noises with his mouth when he heals as it is the actual health.

that said, DOOMDWARF is all about fun so if you have more fun with rupture then rupture it is, friend.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

the health is just as much for DOOMDWARF making trumpeting noises with his mouth when he heals as it is the actual health.
Sold. Now all I need is an orange grudge raker...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Are there any goons who are down to play on cataclysm? I've beaten every map on nightmare with 2 grims and I have every character decked out with orange weapons with solid traits but playing cata with just 1-2 friends you always get a pubbie who dies to clan rats 5 seconds in and wipes the team.

i will play cata but i have not done so in many, many moons so there is no guarantee that i will not gently caress up

however i am pretty confident i can last longer than 5 seconds & i actually listen to voice stuff so there's that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm capable of doing cataclysm but it is just not fun in general. The game is not really polished enough for a difficulty where you can be downed in one hit by a storm to work well.

On the second portal of summoner's peak, while hosting, just about every single wave I will see multiple rats teleport over to my side instead of jumping and doing their animation. Then on the dropdown to the statuette event in drachenfels, multiple times I have seen rats at the bottom just teleport up next to the ammo box halfway into their swing animation. This kind of thing is all over the place. I would understand to some extent if this was lag, but it has nothing to do with the netcode, it's just the game being janky. It's also why I feel no shame in blocking while reviving, doing the barrel glitch in drachenfels, and now trying to bomb roger in an enclosed space for an instakill. On nightmare the numbers aren't quite so ridiculous that one of the game's many jank moments means you're probably getting killed, so I think it's much better better balanced as the game's pro mode. The game itself just is not quite good enough for cataclysm.

That said I would be more willing to play cataclysm with people if they would just focus on winning the level instead of getting tomes and grimoires. No motherfucker, that second grimoire on supply and demand is not worth it since we are now going to lose, and dropping/wasting health items for tomes is also dumb unless you are so good you can consistently win on cataclysm without health items. On nightmare I care about the loot up to 1 grimoire, on cataclysm all I want to do is win, to hell with the gear

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are those oddities limited to the DLC that you've noticed or just the examples you've picked?

On the one hand I'd love to say I can run cat will all tomes and grims. On the other I don't want to practice this game, I want to play it. Also the other 8000000 games I own.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Upon becoming decent-ish at cata (by which I mean <50% success rate) I've come to the conclusion that it's not much fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are those oddities limited to the DLC that you've noticed or just the examples you've picked?

On the one hand I'd love to say I can run cat will all tomes and grims. On the other I don't want to practice this game, I want to play it. Also the other 8000000 games I own.

Just the examples that came to mind since I've been playing the DLC levels a lot lately. It has nothing to do with those maps in particular, anytime the rats are doing anything other than running in a straight line or swinging they can get weird as gently caress. Rats climbing up a cliff and suddenly snapping all the way to the surface partway through an attack animation is not uncommon. If you pay attention you really start to notice it, and you can't not notice it on cataclysm because when it happens it can kill you on its own.

I do want to beat everything on cataclysm at some point, I think I only have 2-3 levels recorded for it at this point and one of them was man the ramparts so who cares. But I really don't want to do it with a group that demands tomes and grimoires.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

KillerQueen posted:

Upon becoming decent-ish at cata (by which I mean <50% success rate) I've come to the conclusion that it's not much fun.

It's really not. Nightmare all the way. Jump off tables, bounce off walls, fight like a gladiator and kill rats in the most metal ways possible.

Don't aggravate yourself with Cataclysm unless you want achievements.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

But you get a cool banner when you beat all the maps...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thats why I'm jonesing to beat all the levels at some point, I just don't want to get tomes and grimoires at the same time because that's a miserable experience

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

Thats why I'm jonesing to beat all the levels at some point, I just don't want to get tomes and grimoires at the same time because that's a miserable experience

this man understands fun and you should listen to the things he says

also more of you need to show up in the goonintide steam chat. it's been the same nucleus of people there for the last week or so, which is awesome and all of those people are great but I KNOW THERE ARE MORE OF YOU OUT THERE

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i show up if im invited sometimes, just ask nano

im also somewhat of a pain in the rear end to play with, also ask nano

cataclysm is alright but if even one person is getting hit a lot it kind of drags things down in a death spiral in a hurry

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I prefer Nightmare, just with getting lots of tomes and maybe a grim or both. It's a nice mix between needing to watch yourself and the real chance of failure, but still having a little leeway to have fun and chop rat.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

It's really not. Nightmare all the way. Jump off tables, bounce off walls, fight like a gladiator and kill rats in the most metal ways possible.

Don't aggravate yourself with Cataclysm unless you want achievements.

I think cataclysm can be fun, but you can't make many mistakes and need a group that gels together, which can be tough if you play mainly public games like myself. If you're not having a good game, have teammates that aren't meshing or doing basic stuff like tagging specials, or just have unlucky spawns a run will often be derailed though. Among the original maps, cataclysm white rat might be the only one I've only replayed a few times since it is pretty drat hard even if everyone is on the ball and the team is working.

Generally, though, I seem to have better luck on cataclysm while getting trinkets and the like. Nightmare is easy enough to allow you to switch off though and just run around and bash rats, though bad luck with the spawns can still put a damper on that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What are the strats for the last stand maps? I've heard you mostly just sit in a corner and kill rats endlessly, but which corners?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Schlusselschloss is infinitely funny to sit on the broken bridge. I doubt it's the best spot but I will never not hold there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well the map is nicknamed The Fall.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Fall is right.

The Fall of Vermintide.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just had a Smuggler's Run... run where I took 0 damage. It was only on Hard, but still, 0 damage. :smug:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

It was still alive and throwing poison, but just floating there like it had Anti-Gravity :stare:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunethex posted:

The Fall is right.

The Fall of Vermintide.

Last stand is bad but you get inn decorations.
I'm crazy about inn decorations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nanomashoes posted:

I've never had a pub group last past round 8 or so. It's horde mode last stand, don't go be a lone hallway hero you loving idiot

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nanomashoes posted:

Oh poo poo. Now I'm feeling it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Recently played with some friends who never played before for the free weekend and one of them hosted. I forgot how a starting inn looks. White moonlight? The gently caress is this wizardry?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait when does the color of the moonlight change

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's like act 2 or some poo poo

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The fact that you stop (delay?) the moon being summoned to crash into the Earth is pretty great

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know Warhammer lore so the first time I noticed there were two moons I thought something was bugging out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

What what I can remember, the green moon is pure warpstone so chaos is stronger under its light. The skaven eat warpstone so obviously just crash that bitch on our heads I'm hungry

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ALL WILL FEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

• Locked thread