Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

NRVNQSR posted:

Does it actually somehow only work with the Vive, or have they just not put the Rift logo on the page because Touch isn't out yet?

It has a headset check, and loads the Oculus SDK if you have that. Which doesn't have Touch implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NRVNQSR posted:

Does it actually somehow only work with the Vive, or have they just not put the Rift logo on the page because Touch isn't out yet?

uh its a conspiracy by BIG GPU to keep the good folks at Oculus down

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kazy posted:

It has a headset check, and loads the Oculus SDK if you have that. Which doesn't have Touch implemented.

Welp. Score another one for incompetence over malice, I guess.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Min Requirements is a 1060 (so like a 980) and max recommends a 1080 or greater or SLI cards and a 980Ti dedicated to PhysX.

Proprietary to the max, but drat I look forward to seeing what some top hardware can make that game look like, and the future of high end VR productions as the hardware matures and gpu's continue to get better.

drat waiting for that 1080Ti is tough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If their features truly are just on Pascal, the 1060 probably really is the minimum.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just played it on high (which recommended 2x1080's) with my 1080 and it's alright. It looks nice and sharp while running super smooth but nothing about what I saw seemed especially demanding. It was fun holding a controller down near my crotch so it looked like I was ejaculating green slime into a clown's mouth.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If their features truly are just on Pascal, the 1060 probably really is the minimum.

They say the 980Ti is supported, though; isn't that Maxwell?

e: To clarify, there are Maxwell-and-later features that I'm sure it uses.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea the main features like VR SLI is supported even on the 700 series, and the VRWorks Multi-res Shading was a Maxwell marketed VR feature as well. Nothing of Pascale's VR features appear to be cooked in yet, but it will still be pretty demanding for lower end stuff.

Though I would like to see how it performs on a 780(Ti) SLI system.

Also the SLI stuff I would like to see some people test with a dual 8x PCI-E 3.0 system and a dual 16X system just to see if it is feasible on anything below a X79/X99 system currently.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So far my favorite VR experience has been... the FOO Show!

It helps that the first episode was an interview with the Firewatch developers, a game I really liked. But it was so, so cool to go into that virtual space that I was familiar with from playing the game and see all that stuff up close. Gotta be the most "immersive" experience I've had. And the fact that you could interact with stuff in the space with them was so cool. Hard to believe it all works so well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Under-spec VR Funhouse trip report:

It runs fine on low with SLI 970s. Not sure if it's actually doing SLI though, I never saw above 25% load on GPU 2 which seems more like PhysX to me, but I was only looking during the punching game because I pulled my headphone cord out so maybe other games are more demanding.

Definitely had some frame skipping in some games when I turned on the monitor, but it was not obvious when just playing without the visual indicator.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
It's fine on low with a 970 and an i5-6600k. It got my hands backwards too... had to flip them in game after it picked. And once you go all the way through it 2x, you are done. Interesting tech demo, I guess.

Edit: \/\/\/ That's kind of what I figured. But, given that you'll never play it after those two times, no big deal!

Essobie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 15, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Essobie posted:

It's fine on low with a 970 and an i5-6600k. It got my hands backwards too... had to flip them in game after it picked. And once you go all the way through it 2x, you are done. Interesting tech demo, I guess.

It did the same for me with the hands, then when I exited and restarted the game after having swapped controllers to get them "correct" it did it again, so it's not just picking which controller has a lower serial number or something like that. It seems to be actively pulling the info from SteamVR and then getting it wrong.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
=Gggt[=ggggggggggggggg:egggggg gggg:gggggg=gg

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Ggggggggggg

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Banano posted:

=Gggt[=ggggggggggggggg:egggggg gggg:gggggg=gg

Banano posted:

Ggggggggggg

same

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does the Funhouse use their own Simultaneous Multi-Projection stuff? You'd think that with it they could seriously cut down on hardware requirements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/RealityCheckVR/status/753829515504201728

The new update allows for four cameras on the Rift. Occlusion free room scale?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seconding that the NVidia carnival thing runs fine on lower cards. My 970 handled it fine at all graphics settings. Some of the physics stuff and the shaders were interesting, but I doubt I'll be booting it up again now that I've been through it once.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Does the Funhouse use their own Simultaneous Multi-Projection stuff? You'd think that with it they could seriously cut down on hardware requirements.

Nvidia's minor improvements to simultaneous multi-projection are only available on Maxwell and later cards (i.e. 900-series, roughly), so it's not going to reduce them below that.

Of course Nvidia are naturally going to quote inflated GPU requirements for their own software on top of that, that's just common sense.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The most interesting thing is flying way out beyond the bounds of the map and seeing the empty carnival in the middle of the eerie darkness. Some real Stephen King poo poo.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Cojawfee posted:

Is the touch going to ship with a usb hub?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

Now all they need to do is drop the official 'not targetting roomscale' line, reveal the prices for all of this stuff and a release date.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
#cool #4sensors

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does it need four sensors for some reason when the Vive does fine with two?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

Vive does fine but not perfect, there's nothing wrong with an option for more. I need to track my crotch scratching!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Supposedly RMA pricing on the sensors is 119 Euros, or probably ~$99 US once you account for VAT being included in that price.

That's a bit more expensive than I was expecting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

It doesn't need them, but the more data you have access to, the more precision and less occlusion you'll have.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm guessing four is only needed if you have a huge space or something. Setting up your full-on holodeck.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Also lighthouse in its current manifestation is actually incapable of supporting more than 2 base stations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
We know it works with 2 about the same as a Vive but with a smaller distance between them so you get a bit less space, but you still end up with blind spots in some corners. Having more just gets rid of that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Oculus tracking works pretty differently, too. I think having the option of using 1-2 or up to 4 or even more would be welcome on any device.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cojawfee posted:

bringer posted:

Is the touch going to ship with a usb hub?

yeah for real

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

The Rift does fine with two as well. Having four cameras means less occlusion. While the Vive is technically fine with just two base stations, there's still lots of occlusion problems when a device can only see one and gets blocked. Having three or four cameras/base stations lessens this problem. Oculus wants people to set up both cameras in the front with touch to improve tracking. This just does that for every direction as well.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, spent so much already for this poo poo, what's another hundo to tighten up the tracking

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If double post sorry but:

Just had my first experience with big boy VR the PlayStation VR. It was super impressive but I didn't like the large amoutns of black space aroudn the peripheral vision; it felt like I was looking out a porthole, which is what I didn't like about google cardboard.

Do the Vive and Occulus do this too?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXCox8yZWY

NSFW?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Just had my first experience with big boy VR the PlayStation VR. It was super impressive but I didn't like the large amoutns of black space aroudn the peripheral vision; it felt like I was looking out a porthole, which is what I didn't like about google cardboard.

Do the Vive and Occulus do this too?

Mostly? The field of view varies slightly between them, with the Vive being largest, but it's only a matter of a few degrees. It'll be second generation at least before there are headsets that fill the peripheral vision.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks. I might wait then, it was so awesome but that kind of killed it for me.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

I hope there is a plumbus factory simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Abu Dave posted:

That sucks. I might wait then, it was so awesome but that kind of killed it for me.

for what its worth 99% of people report that once you are actually playing and out of serious comparison mode you totally forget about the lack of peripheral