Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karma Monkey posted:

That's what I love about mantids. They give no fucks. Adorable alien lookin murder bugs.

I kept a couple as pets in my terrarium (formerly aquarium) when i was a kid

I overfed them

One ate the other ofc

The other one kept getting grasshoppers i'd caught for her

And bees

And spiders

Her guts blew out but watching those mandibles go, behind the glass was a hell of a thing

Shameful, and not much joy but it was like watching a horror movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We hatched a mantis egg case inside a little terrarium sort of thing once. It was basically Hunger Games from there, we fed them fruit flies and then crickets but it didn't stop them from eating each other. One time I looked in and one was chewing, while holding the body of another in one claw and the head of it in the other. It was metal as hell. Definitely my favorite bugs.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is the zoo as awesome as I remember? Haven't been there since like 1991.

Schadenfreude on me: I grew up near a great zoo (Asheboro, NC) and always wanted to visit the San Diego Zoo because it's like "the" zoo that's always mentioned in the US. I finally went around 2000 and the enclosures were bleak/concrete and the animals looked miserable. Not poo poo-talking anyone who likes it, it just wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Obviously the cat was jealous that it could do the whole cute grooming schtick better.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Chris Froome crashes into a motorcycle. Decides that this whole cycling thing is silly anyway, and runs instead. Doesn't quite go as he hoped as he gets overtaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QntWy_FfI

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
May be :nws: for a butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNCKKByRWzI&hd=1

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I didn't know camels came in majestic.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Dude steals human brain preserved in formaldehyde, which he then sprays on marijuana.

He looks less hosed up than I would have expected.

Smoking brains causes drug damage?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

I think you've been reading PYF for way too long aas Bandit.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

HairyManling posted:

I think you've been reading the internet comedy website Something Awful for way too long aas Bandit.

Fixed.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What's his SA account?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This went about as badly as possible, nailing the guy at the end was icing on the cake.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Woodenlung posted:

Chris Froome crashes into a motorcycle. Decides that this whole cycling thing is silly anyway, and runs instead. Doesn't quite go as he hoped as he gets overtaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QntWy_FfI

The best thing about this is that he's doing that while wearing cycling shoes which are basically backwards high heels (high toes?) which are an absolute bitch to walk in let alone run.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was a tossup between PYF and SA as a whole.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Petit Gregory posted:

The best thing about this is that he's doing that while wearing cycling shoes which are basically backwards high heels (high toes?) which are an absolute bitch to walk in let alone run.

Would crossing the line without a bike still count?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well it's not the bike that gets to stand on the winner's podium

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, in fact, not using a bike can be reason for disqualification. This didn't happen, because extraordinairy circumstances I guess. Also, the video cuts out before he gets on a replacement bike that's far too small and looks like it was made by Playmobil.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

No, in fact, not using a bike can be reason for disqualification. This didn't happen, because extraordinairy circumstances I guess. Also, the video cuts out before he gets on a replacement bike that's far too small and looks like it was made by Playmobil.

Yeah, it was so controversial they annulled the result and took the race finish from where the crash happened.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They adjusted the times for him and another guy who got wrecked by the same motorcycle to be closer to the guy ahead of them who finished without incident, since they agreed that they would have done much better if they hadn't gotten run over (and in the case of the runner, his bike completely destroyed).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Data Graham posted:

You might be right, it could be my attitude. Must be a New York thing. :v:

You must tell the almonds you love them, in soft whispers and coos. This is the secret to fresh almonds in the city.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SierraEchoBravo posted:

YouTube channel is Braille Skateboarding and this was on Skate Everything. People build boards and send it to them to try/break. Sometimes they play horse on the sturdier ones. They've done some dumb ones like the circular saw blade board.

Here's an Xbox one, https://youtu.be/3BIrmPyxLLo

Why don't they wear safety gear? Holy poo poo!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

For some reason it's incredibly common among skaters and BMXers, even professionals, to do crazy stunts without helmets or pads. Might be because skating has a sort of rebellious "street" connection, something poor kids do for fun around town and maybe go pro to try and get famous. It's still a bit bizarre compared to other sports, though. Imagine Richard Petty just driving a commercial sports car during a race in his normal street clothes for fun.

Here's a video of them seeing what happens if you wrap your wheels in grip tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UifEjWqTji4

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jul 15, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

You really don't need a helmet and pads if you're just slowly tooling around a skatepark.

Skaters know how to fall correctly, they aren't children.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ah yes, the old "I don't need protection, I know how to do it" which works perfectly fine right up until the point where something unexpected happens and suddenly you need a full time helper to do things like write your own name.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A list of people who fall correctly and don't need protection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sa-Wji7J5g

:nms:

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jul 15, 2016

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

FCKGW posted:

You really don't need a helmet and pads if you're just slowly tooling around a skatepark.

If they're not children, then why are they rolling around on a child's toy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

A list of people who fall correctly and don't need protection:

See also: Thrasher Magazine's "Hall of Meat" Youtube playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NSNLIpaw-U

Maxwell Ren also has a ton of Hall of Meat compilation videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRRci5Rbl_4

As usual, there's a :nms: warning for people getting meatified receiving booboos

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

If they're not children, then why are they rolling around on a child's toy?

2edgy4me

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ok this is pure perfection. What's it from?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

chitoryu12 posted:

For some reason it's incredibly common among skaters and BMXers, even professionals, to do crazy stunts without helmets or pads. Might be because skating has a sort of rebellious "street" connection, something poor kids do for fun around town and maybe go pro to try and get famous. It's still a bit bizarre compared to other sports, though. Imagine Richard Petty just driving a commercial sports car during a race in his normal street clothes for fun.

Here's a video of them seeing what happens if you wrap your wheels in grip tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UifEjWqTji4

I'm hooked on these now. Gotta watch them all. Thanks! :catstare:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

aas Bandit posted:

Dude steals human brain preserved in formaldehyde, which he then sprays on marijuana.

Smoking brains causes drug damage?

Link to the TCC trip report?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ah yes, the old "I don't need protection, I know how to do it" which works perfectly fine right up until the point where something unexpected happens and suddenly you're standing in the delivery room

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Karma Monkey posted:

I'm hooked on these now. Gotta watch them all. Thanks! :catstare:

I spent almost 4 hours watching these yesterday

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Remember this blingy fella?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-36804209

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ten bux says his son was in on it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Yes; this is why professionals don't wear protection 100% of the time.

Oh wait, yes they do because your argument is loving stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Yes; this is why professionals don't wear protection 100% of the time.

Oh wait, yes they do because your argument is loving stupid.

Actually, you end up seeing pro skaters like Rodney Mullen regularly skating without protection, or just with kneepads and maybe elbowpads. There's tons of photos of Mullen when he was younger wearing nothing but shoes, board shorts, and kneepads. Tony Hawk didn't start wearing safety gear regularly until he became the king of vert skating and turned famous, and pretty much all major competitions require full safety gear. Here's video of him from 1993 when he was already a pro skater, just tooling around on the street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmkfdA26Ws

It's still dumb, but even the biggest pros do it when they feel like it. Like I said, I think it's part of skateboarding (especially street skating on public or private property outside skate parks) being seen as a thing for rebellious teens and twenty-somethings to do for fun and to get famous through sponsorships. Especially since it's pretty loving easy to get at least minor sponsors if you're a pretty good skater; I had a high school drama class with a 17-year-old "pro" who was sponsored.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jul 15, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This was in AI.

InitialDave posted:

Bonus quadbike turning on its cruel overlords:
http://i.imgur.com/3dPBgYT.mp4

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

These professionals didn't wear pads until they were professionals.

No poo poo? Perhaps in the last 20 years the messaging about wearing safety gear has become a bit better as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Guess what happened to a CIA analyst on FOX news?

A man who has appeared on Fox News as a guest "terrorism analyst" was sentenced to 33 months in prison on Friday on charges that he fraudulently claimed to have been a CIA agent for decades, U.S. prosecutors said.

Wayne Simmons, 62, of Annapolis, Maryland, was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia, the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.

"Wayne Simmons is a fraud. Simmons has no military or intelligence background, or any skills relevant to the positions he attained through his fraud," said Dana Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III also sentenced Simmons to serve three years of supervised release, to forfeit two firearms and $176,000 in criminal proceeds, and to pay restitution.

Simmons had appeared on Fox News, a unit of 21st Century Fox and the top-ranked U.S. cable television news network, as an unpaid guest analyst on terrorism since 2002.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twenty-first-fox-crime-analyst-idUSKCN0ZV21Q?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

You would think the #1 news source in america would vet people better but...nah.