Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am planning to upgrade the processor and graphics card, and if anyone suggests a particular order I would listen!
GPU>Monitor>CPU.

A 2 year old i3 is unlikely to be a bottleneck unless you go for a higher-end GPU or play commonly CPU-bound games. I mention the monitor because new monitors are awesome and going from an old lovely display to a new one is probably a better visual fidelity upgrade than being able to go from medium settings to high settings, particularly if that mostly represents shader settings in what you are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Well, I'm re-building my mITX PC. Bought the i7-6700k, ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Impact, ddr4 3400 RAM, 850w corsair PSU, and a H100i v2 CPU cooler to cram in my Corsair 250D case. Didn't upgrade the GPU this time (have a GTX 970). I'll wait till Christmas time to get the 1080 and I already have solid drives with a 500gb EVO850 SSD and a WD Red 2TB backup drive.

Re-build time is the best time of the year. Cannot wait.

EDIT: Thinking of cancelling the ASUS MAXIXMUS board. I'm thinking that vertical piece on the one side will obstruct the airflow of the CPU cooler. Hmmmmmm.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 14, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
If I am planning on building a new computer in the near future (I have until january), am I right in thinking that I should just put money aside and then buy all the parts at once on a big sale day VS buying a part here and there if it's on sale?

Like if I buy a processor on sale tomorow in 3-4 months it's likely to be cheaper or similarly priced?
May be cases/hard drives/monitors are different but I already have those.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 14, 2016

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I ordered pretty much all my parts at once, didn't want to risk buying stuff piece by piece over months then finally getting everything and something not working and end up being out of the return window/warranty.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I think I'd have to recommend against a gigabyte board. I wish they'd get their poo poo together as more good manufacturers only benefits everyone else.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Judging by the card recommendations in the OP compared with the price points recommended in the OP, this seems like a bad time to be building a computer unless a GPU is the only thing you are looking to upgrade (as in, wait for the Nvidia price points to be less crazypants). Yes/no?

GPUs get obsoleted fast enough they should be budgeted as a rental. Their price doesn't decrease linearly, there's sharp drops at the leading edge of each generation. As a result, the optimal time to buy is right after that leading edge. The 1070 and 1080 are probably roughly stabilized so buying one now is a good call. The 480's waiting on aftermarket models and the 1060 is dropping soon so wait a bit if you want to spend $300 or less.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

If I am planning on building a new computer in the near future (I have until january), am I right in thinking that I should just put money aside and then buy all the parts at once on a big sale day VS buying a part here and there if it's on sale?

Like if I buy a processor on sale tomorow in 3-4 months it's likely to be cheaper or similarly priced?
May be cases/hard drives/monitors are different but I already have those.

Prices tend to only drop after new product release cycles, and then only after another period of time. Video cards are the only piece really susceptible to that sort of sharp drop. Barring some unknown tech leap, just after a dev cycle uggs usually the best time to get something.

^ that too.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure what is the best thread to post this in, but for anyone wanting a low end desktop or home server especially Dell has a deal right now to get their bottom tier Poweredge T20 server for $129+tax. You get:

Pentium G3220 (dual-core Haswell @3GHz, no turbo) with presumably stock or similar cooler
Socket 1150/C226 chipset MicroATX motherboard - basically H87, but supports ECC and Xeon-specific features -
1x4GB DDR3 - not ECC, even though it is supported
290W PSU - note that this uses some jacked up proprietary Dell pinout, so you'd probably be only able to upgrade with an adapter
MicroATX case

While there are some significant compromises, the price means that they're basically giving you everything else for what a low-end server motherboard would normally cost. You can upgrade to any Xeon E3-1200 v3 series processor (be sure to get the models with integrated graphics) if you want a quad-core for a similar price to other Haswell quads, and supported memory goes up to 32GB. There is a PCIe x16 slot and two x1 slots as well as a classic PCI, but without a PSU upgrade Dell says they only support 25W of power draw from the x16 slot. Still, good potential as a home server or upgradeable low-end system so I figured I'd mention it. I wracked my brain trying to come up with a justification to buy one to play with myself, but I already have too many desktops.

Edit: There's actually a Xeon E3-1225 v3 $280 version of the deal too, which is way more cost effective than buying your own Xeon for the other one.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 14, 2016

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

xthetenth posted:

GPUs get obsoleted fast enough they should be budgeted as a rental. Their price doesn't decrease linearly, there's sharp drops at the leading edge of each generation. As a result, the optimal time to buy is right after that leading edge. The 1070 and 1080 are probably roughly stabilized so buying one now is a good call. The 480's waiting on aftermarket models and the 1060 is dropping soon so wait a bit if you want to spend $300 or less.

How long do you think it will be before their price drops?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am in need of assistance with my first build. I'm fairly tech savvy, but have been out of the loop for 5+ years due to school/work/family. I am hoping to keep the build plus monitor under $1,000. Below is a recommended build from pcpartpicker that I am hoping you guys can help me tweak. I could also use recommendations on a suitable wireless card.

What country are you in? U.S.
What are you using the system for? Light gaming
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I don't have one picked out yet. Hoping to find something in the 20"-24" range that does 1080p in the <$200 range.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: *OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-14 17:52 EDT-0400

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Apparently using the Win10 key from my old machine isn't valid. I can reformat my new PC that I just got Win10 running on and install Win7, get a new free key, and then reformat again with Win10, but is there an easier way? That's a bunch of pointless work.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Apparently using the Win10 key from my old machine isn't valid. I can reformat my new PC that I just got Win10 running on and install Win7, get a new free key, and then reformat again with Win10, but is there an easier way? That's a bunch of pointless work.

When my HDD died recently and I had to get a new windows 10 key from MS, they just straight up generated me a new key.

Try using MS live chat to get a new key and just tell them your hard drive died.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Moola posted:

When my HDD died recently and I had to get a new windows 10 key from MS, they just straight up generated me a new key.

Try using MS live chat to get a new key and just tell them your hard drive died.

Should I tell them I just bought a new PC? My Win7 key will transfer, but my Win10 won't, and I'm wondering if that's by design.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
What country are you in?: US
What are you using the system for?: High-portability desktop PC Gaming, some document processing/coding
What's your budget?: $2300 total
Display/graphics: Maxed out 1080p, eventually VR/4k

I work in two separate locations, about 200 miles apart, and commute between the locations weekly. I'd like a smaller build to make it easier to transport between the two, without sacrificing too much horsepower. The final build will have an HMD (probably a Vive at this point) and new GPU (+$1500). I'm planning on getting the conversion (below) done first, then upgrading to the new GPU and HMD piecemeal, both to stretch the cost and wait for supply on both items to settle down.

The 970, SSD, and power supply will be carried over from the current build. I'd like to try some light overclocking with this, but I'm not sure how well it will work with the small form factor. I've got the first phase of the conversion below. The second part of the build is whether I want to get a gtx1080 or the Vive after this.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.02 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($127.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($80.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.04 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $620.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-14 20:22 EDT-0400

Appreciate any comments/suggestions!

EDIT: Updated sff build to include purchased parts. Here's the final build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.02 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($127.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($80.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.04 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: HTC Vive ($799.00)
Total: $2118.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-14 20:21 EDT-0400

Zest fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 15, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Jack Forge posted:

Prices tend to only drop after new product release cycles, and then only after another period of time. Video cards are the only piece really susceptible to that sort of sharp drop. Barring some unknown tech leap, just after a dev cycle uggs usually the best time to get something.

^ that too.

Good to know. Does something like the rx-480 has any chance of dropping in price before january? On one side it's very new but I know they are planning to release some other cards (although not direct competitors). Considering this, should I simply buy it if I see it on sale for some reason or is waiting for a while a good decision?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zero The Hero posted:

Should I tell them I just bought a new PC? My Win7 key will transfer, but my Win10 won't, and I'm wondering if that's by design.

It's by design. You can however simply install Win10 using the Win7 key until July 29th.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Hi guys! Three years ago I bought a sweet machine thanks to you guys and I'm at the point where I'm wondering what component would benefit in an update, I'm hoping someone can help me with that :)

Here's my current PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswel w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-160
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5
Power supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition Semi Modular 12V 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
HD: Samsung 850 Evo

I have a fairly tight budget so if I can keep stretch the longevity of that PC a little bit I'd be more than happy! :)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Assuming you're talking about games everything there is still pretty good, you'd just need a better graphics card to run at higher settings. Look at 1070, RX480 or the 1060 when it comes out imminently depending on your budget.

Overclock the proc too if you haven't already but the GPU is the bigger concern. You could go up to 16GB of memory but I doubt there are many games where you'd notice any difference at all right now.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to move a hard drive setup to use IDE controllers to a motherboard that only supports SATA?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

If you download the trial ISO of windows 10 which lets you install windows 10 with no key, then you can just put the windows 7 key in when it asks for one and it will take that

That's what I did before me HDD died and it worked fine.

Khablam posted:

It's by design. You can however simply install Win10 using the Win7 key until July 29th.

so basically this

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
If the price were equal, what's the more worthwhile card - R7 370 2GB or GeForce GTX 950 2GB?

The past week I've posted a couple times about buying a 2nd hand machine just for office work but I've reevaluated my finances and decided it makes more sense to buy a proper (albeit budget) machine new and just sit on it for a good long while.

I've picked out and ordered everything here but the GPU:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vzKRJV

quote:

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vzKRJV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vzKRJV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€120.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€86.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€39.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.06 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card (€147.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€50.01 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€55.77 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €552.63

I've been googling and reading a bunch and I'm getting an equal number of results saying "It's obvious - the GTX 950 is the better card" and "It's plain as day - the R7 370 wins hands down".

I'm probably going to go with the GTX 950 because I trust Nvidia's quality and driver release more, but with both cards being identically priced -- which is better?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Aeryk posted:

Is it possible to move a hard drive setup to use IDE controllers to a motherboard that only supports SATA?

You can buy PCI or PCI-e IDE controllers, but surely the drives you have are old and not very high capacity - why not replace them with SATA ones instead?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I need a program to keep track of my CPU/GPU temperatures while my PC is running, any suggestions?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Zero The Hero posted:

I need a program to keep track of my CPU/GPU temperatures while my PC is running, any suggestions?

GPU-Z can output gpu temp and other stats to a log file while it's running.

e; just checking, are you looking for something to give you a report on the temps over a period of time or just anything that let's you see what it currently is? If it's the latter then Speccy is fine in general.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 15, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

If the price were equal, what's the more worthwhile card - R7 370 2GB or GeForce GTX 950 2GB?

The past week I've posted a couple times about buying a 2nd hand machine just for office work but I've reevaluated my finances and decided it makes more sense to buy a proper (albeit budget) machine new and just sit on it for a good long while.

I've picked out and ordered everything here but the GPU:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vzKRJV

I've been googling and reading a bunch and I'm getting an equal number of results saying "It's obvious - the GTX 950 is the better card" and "It's plain as day - the R7 370 wins hands down".

I'm probably going to go with the GTX 950 because I trust Nvidia's quality and driver release more, but with both cards being identically priced -- which is better?

Neither, or at the very least pick up a used machine. It is a very poor value proposition to get an old card when a new release is just around the corner.

If nothing else, wait until the RX270 is released, which should trade blows with a 970 for around the same price as that 950.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
For all those asking about price drops, they will only drop a small amount as third party developers get cards to market. Art the midst this will be a 5 - 10% drop at best. So basically, wait till your producer of choice out the card that you want and get it. Prices are unlikely to move much after that for year or more.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

The Iron Rose posted:

Neither, or at the very least pick up a used machine. It is a very poor value proposition to get an old card when a new release is just around the corner.

If nothing else, wait until the RX270 is released, which should trade blows with a 970 for around the same price as that 950.

That's a fair point but I thought it wasn't coming out for a while. Also, did you mean the RX 470 and not RX 270? I can't find a good source of information that explains what they all are, what brackets they're in, and when they'll be released. This link below suggests the RX 480 is already available but there's no word on the 470:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...r-draw-3642524/

e: I'm sorry that I'm asking really ignorant questions, my research capacity is really poor at the moment, I'm typing this on a tablet that can barely load one tab at a time, let alone 8+. Loading, editing, and saving this will take me a solid 50 seconds. That's why I'm buying a computer!

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 15, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

That's a fair point but I thought it wasn't coming out for a while. Also, did you mean the RX 470 and not RX 270? I can't find a good source of information that explains what they all are, what brackets they're in, and when they'll be released. This link below suggests the RX 480 is already available but there's no word on the 470:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...r-draw-3642524/

e: I'm sorry that I'm asking really ignorant questions, my research capacity is really poor at the moment, I'm typing this on a tablet that can barely load one tab at a time, let alone 8+. Loading, editing, and saving this will take me a solid 50 seconds. That's why I'm buying a computer!

I do, in fact, mean the RX 470 :downs:

Anyways, grab a used 970 with a transferable warranty if you can, save an extra 50 euros and get a RX480 if you can't, or wait and get a RX470. It is more money, but you're leaving a lot of performance on the table - both your card ideas are very bad buys at the moment in terms of price/performance .

You can of course, buy and build the computer now and run it on integrated graphics till you can afford a GPU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

So, after a lot more research I can't really find any fault in this build I posted earlier, though I may swap the 1x8 RAM to 2x4 just for redundancy. I am between two monitors, both of which are comparable at 1920x1080, 144Hz, FreeSync, 1 ms.

I know the nvidia 1060 is imminent (some sites expected it three days ago), but I can't find any G-sync monitors that are comparable to the ones I would choose if I went with the ATI card. Is there any chance the 1060 would be superior to the ATI rx 480 to the point that going with it and foregoing FreeSync would be advisable?

Enigma posted:

I am in need of assistance with my first build. I'm fairly tech savvy, but have been out of the loop for 5+ years due to school/work/family. I am hoping to keep the build plus monitor under $1,000. Below is a recommended build from pcpartpicker that I am hoping you guys can help me tweak. I could also use recommendations on a suitable wireless card.

What country are you in? U.S.
What are you using the system for? Light gaming
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I don't have one picked out yet. Hoping to find something in the 20"-24" range that does 1080p in the <$200 range.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: *OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.81
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-14 17:52 EDT-0400

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 15, 2016

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Enigma posted:

So, after a lot more research I can't really find any fault in this build I posted earlier, though I may swap the 1x8 RAM to 2x4 just for redundancy. I am between two monitors, both of which are comparable at 1920x1080, 144Hz, FreeSync, 1 ms.

I know the nvidia 1060 is imminent (some sites expected it three days ago), but I can't find any G-sync monitors that are comparable to the ones I would choose if I went with the ATI card. Is there any chance the 1060 would be superior to the ATI rx 480 to the point that going with it and foregoing FreeSync would be advisable?

Sticking with 1 x 8GB stick of RAM would allow an easier upgrade path should you wish to go to 16GB further down the line - you can just buy another 1 x 8GB stick.

NewAge
Sep 6, 2008
Hi guys. I built this system yesterday:

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($115.98)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($48.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.95 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $467.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 13:10 EDT-0400

And it's working perfectly except for one thing. Every time I turn it on, I hit the power button and the LED comes on for maybe a second and I can hear the fans etc turning on as well, but then after maybe a second it all shuts off again. However, if I hit the power button a second time, it turns on as normal with no problems whatsoever. Googling has brought me mixed results, some people saying RAM and some people saying flash the BIOS (which scares the crap out of me because the last thing I want to do is end up breaking everything after I managed to put it together with few problems). Does anybody know what might be up?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Dead Goon posted:

Sticking with 1 x 8GB stick of RAM would allow an easier upgrade path should you wish to go to 16GB further down the line - you can just buy another 1 x 8GB stick.

A fair point I hadn't considered. I think I'll go with the one stick then. Thanks!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

NewAge posted:

Hi guys. I built this system yesterday:

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($115.98)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($48.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.95 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $467.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 13:10 EDT-0400

And it's working perfectly except for one thing. Every time I turn it on, I hit the power button and the LED comes on for maybe a second and I can hear the fans etc turning on as well, but then after maybe a second it all shuts off again. However, if I hit the power button a second time, it turns on as normal with no problems whatsoever. Googling has brought me mixed results, some people saying RAM and some people saying flash the BIOS (which scares the crap out of me because the last thing I want to do is end up breaking everything after I managed to put it together with few problems). Does anybody know what might be up?

This is a thing with my machine as well, and it's a problem that's entirely ignoreable. I haven't noticed any issues besides having to press the power button twice, so if you can live with the issue I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Terry Crews is putting together his first PC. Pretty cool I think. http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/15/12197206/terry-crews-positive-pc-gamer

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I do, in fact, mean the RX 470 :downs:

Anyways, grab a used 970 with a transferable warranty if you can, save an extra 50 euros and get a RX480 if you can't, or wait and get a RX470. It is more money, but you're leaving a lot of performance on the table - both your card ideas are very bad buys at the moment in terms of price/performance .

You can of course, buy and build the computer now and run it on integrated graphics till you can afford a GPU

I think I'll wait and buy the 470, it's still summer here and I can survive off integrated for a while. Thanks for your advice!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

How does the MSI Gaming Z170A Gaming L7 compare to the ASRock Z170 OC Formula?

The MSI board is on sale for $159 at my local Fry's, but the ASRock is already on the way from Newegg. Should I send it back and get the MSI instead?

Edit: They are pretty much the same price after taxes on the MSI and the rebate from Newegg.

Here's the rest of my build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 OC Formula ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($182.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $188.00)
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $54.99)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $919.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 14:07 EDT-0400

I'm also planning to get either a GTX 1070 or 1080, but haven't decided on which yet.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 15, 2016

NewAge
Sep 6, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

This is a thing with my machine as well, and it's a problem that's entirely ignoreable. I haven't noticed any issues besides having to press the power button twice, so if you can live with the issue I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for :v:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I just installed the Gaming M7 and I love it. I don't know that they're actually comparable, but there it is.

Judging from newegg reviews, motherboard quality as a whole has dropped. Every manufacturer is dealing with a higher rate of failure than I would like. MSI seems to slightly edge out ASUS and have a strong history. ASUS has been my historical favorite, but I don't regret my decision to go with MSI in the least.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

I just installed the Gaming M7 and I love it. I don't know that they're actually comparable, but there it is.

Judging from newegg reviews, motherboard quality as a whole has dropped. Every manufacturer is dealing with a higher rate of failure than I would like. MSI seems to slightly edge out ASUS and have a strong history. ASUS has been my historical favorite, but I don't regret my decision to go with MSI in the least.

Yeah, I recently had to shop around for a motherboard and I felt the same way. There certainly didn't feel like any safe bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey guys I need help!

Installing a new MSI Armor GTX 1070; I've plugged the 8 pin power connector into the socket on the card, and then the other end which is a 6 pin and a 2 pin connector into the PSU (modular PSU)

I'm getting a signal and the machine boots into windows fine, proper resolution etc, but the fans aren't spinning!

I'm worried I've connected something wrong, but surely I just wouldnt get a signal/beeping. Does this card only spin the fans under load?

Plase help!!!