Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm still playing the game because it is fun :shrug:

That being said I only dabbled in SF4 a bit and not much else before that until we get to the SF2 days so maybe my newness helps a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

Goetta posted:

Because you can now buy them for Steam/PSN bucks.

I also don't really get the griping about it, of course they weren't going to let people download a mod to unlock everything forever

You can't though. There's still no way to buy colors and if your purchase their $4 premium costumes you still have to go out of your way to unlock the colors.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dawglet posted:

You can't though. There's still no way to buy colors and if your purchase their $4 premium costumes you still have to go out of your way to unlock the colors.

Oh I though they were available in the store with the other colors my bad.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
:shrug:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Goetta posted:

I'm still playing the game because it is fun

That being said I only dabbled in SF4 a bit and not much else before that until we get to the SF2 days so maybe my newness helps a lot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goetta posted:

Oh I though they were available in the store with the other colors my bad.

The only colors in the store afaik are the ones you unlock the privilege to buy through leveling a character

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Goetta posted:

curiously, have you played other fighting games to the extent that you have played sf5 (since starting sf5)? the best (only good) part about SF5 is that it brings new players into the fold. you might be surprised at how much you enjoy other games in the genre, especially if you're willing to give a game like SF5 a chance or even a second thought.

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 14, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goetta posted:

You'll be Zand by 2018

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

curiously, have you played other fighting games to the extent that you have played sf5? the best (only good) part about SF5 is that it brings new players into the fold. you might be surprised at how much you enjoy other games in the genre, especially if you're willing to give a game like SF5 a chance or even a second thought.

I've gone from the original SF games -> Tekken Tag -> DoA -> SF4 (and a tiny bit of Skullgirls) -> SF5. Obviously with a lot of time gaps in between.

I think I like SFV because the footsies part feel really good to me, where there are ways to punish people who are relying on one particular strategy, and adapting what you are doing over a three game set feels like it is rewarded. The characters are different enough to adapt your play around them but most aren't so different where it feels reliant on being gimmicky (if that makes sense). In Super Bronze I can find a game like every 30 seconds and after the patch it is usually against people around my skill and the fights are usually pretty fun.

Everything surrounding the game is a stupid pile of poo poo but I find myself matchmaking for hours on end because I am having fun. Maybe that means I'm an idiot.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
A lazy and lethargic footsie game is a p big complaint about sf5 compared to like games with really rewarding neutral like early sf or kof or magical drop 3. or it was before 8 frames became the only flaw people remember

edit i get that sf5 is the Shimmy game right now but the reason people make fun of that is because the Shimmy wasnt a revolutionary concept before sf4 committed emperor nero style erasure from history of everything that came before it

dangerdoom volvo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Sf5 gave me Marn's R.Mika and that's just all the peaches I need.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shaq fu had 5 frames of input lag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6GM6UVZSQ

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In my memory it feels like 30, that game was chunky as hell and I loved it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

big list of bug fixes in latest patch. lots of small situational nerfs to half the cast and buffs to the other half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qgg52lAVU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
they seriously removed ken getting a combo off trading with the first hit of his fierce shoryuken,

like why.

what is the point of changes like this but do nothing but remove situationally good, interesting, or fun things? how many times have you seen a ken combo off that trade? i know apple found setups for it but i've never seen them done in a match. who was utilizing this well? who decided it was too good? or did it go against some poo poo Design Philosophy capcom is following where something that isn't explicitly intentional is immediately removed?

Wait! i know the answer, it's the latter because they've literally done this multiple times already and goddamn this game is poo poo and boring.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
works well for mk. well it doesnt because their poo poo ends up crazy broken anyway but they try

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

look, they have to make the game as bad as possible, it's what people want

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Real hurthling! posted:

big list of bug fixes in latest patch. lots of small situational nerfs to half the cast and buffs to the other half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qgg52lAVU

Haha, as he's reading the list of bug fixes, he follows up each one with "Huh thats weird, I havent seen that one before." Gosh, dude, it's almost like they aren't fixing poo poo and just putting out patch lists of utter bullshit to make it look like work is being done!

Oh, we moved nash's hit box 1 pixel to the left, please download 1gig patch for this. He fixed now, dont worry, it's fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 14, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why's he hiding in the lower right of kanzuki estate

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Haha, as he's reading the list of bug fixes, he follows up each one with "Huh thats weird, I havent seen that one before." Gosh, dude, it's almost like they aren't fixing poo poo and just putting out patch lists of utter bullshit to make it look like work is being done!

Oh, we moveed nash's hit box 1 pixel to the left, please download 1gig patch for this. He fixed now, dont worry, it's fixed.

Im glad Capcom is addressing the essential issues. We will surely get the Karkland.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like the part where Capcom has only done bug fixes that sometimes just happen to affect balance, because they promised they wouldn't do balance patches until after Capcom Cup

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
I'm finding that I'm loving sfv ibuki more than any other version of her.

probs cuz im actually really bad at any other street fighter

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

everyone is worse in every other street fighter because their is more room to screw up and play badly

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Because the brand of his face is really important. Like, comment, and subscribe. Here's a link to his patreon, and another to the kickstarter for his book.

edit: oh wow, Vega couldn't tech meaty throws while crouching before this patch. THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 14, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd kickstart a coffee table book of patch notes artfully arranged in front of pictures of the Kanzuki estate.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
https://medium.com/@WydD/about-the-...ab84#.yenn2dhi0

Some choice pieces of info include: "The first one, the most important, and I can’t believe I’m saying this… the server communication is made on an insecure https channel." "In the end, as SFV does not check the connection, you can put you in between the game and the server. Then, you are able to listen and modify everything they talk about."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes that just happens when you get an uppercut and it's the only way to unlock Smoke.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unsecured zenny store would have been really funny and im disappointed that capcom accountants couldn't make it happen

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

A.o.D. posted:

Because the brand of his face is really important. Like, comment, and subscribe. Here's a link to his patreon, and another to the kickstarter for his book.

edit: oh wow, Vega couldn't tech meaty throws while crouching before this patch. THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH

lol holy poo poo

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Article mentions EVO having taken advantage of the situation as well.

Man.. If a big tourney can do it then gently caress it. I want some colors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's patently ridiculous that Capcom doesn't send unlock codes to Pro tour events so that they can unlock content on their gear for the duration of the event.

edit: vvv good analogy, except that Capcom set the building on fire beforehand.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 15, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Capcom could save a kitten from a burning building and you clowns would be complaining that the kitten's tail has been singed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Love Stole the Day posted:

Capcom could save a kitten from a burning building

No, they couldn't.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

capcom doesn't allow pets in its hq :confused:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
really, it'd be more like Capcom set a retirement home on fire, and then 'rescued' a kitten from a house across the street, and still somehow manage to get its tail singed.

gently caress it, I'm gonna run a battle lounge before I get banned for unlocking some colors. never mind

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
We have one already going under my name if you want to join that. pw 4587

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
haha the server and client don't authenticate and the server just nods along when you tell it "i literally just cleared everything that has rewards at once"

yea the kitten analogy is fine if the kitten set off the fire after walking through Capcom Security wearing a tag that reads "totally real, not-fake employee also my salary is twenty pounds of catnip a day"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Even capcom security wouldn't believe such a blatant lie, Capcom paying employees LOL

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

they seriously removed ken getting a combo off trading with the first hit of his fierce shoryuken,

like why.

what is the point of changes like this but do nothing but remove situationally good, interesting, or fun things? how many times have you seen a ken combo off that trade? i know apple found setups for it but i've never seen them done in a match. who was utilizing this well? who decided it was too good? or did it go against some poo poo Design Philosophy capcom is following where something that isn't explicitly intentional is immediately removed?

Wait! i know the answer, it's the latter because they've literally done this multiple times already and goddamn this game is poo poo and boring.

I can't wait to trade fierce DP with Necalli stomps and see him get a combo, while also intentionally trading his own LP DP and get a combo because that's still in the game while Ken's isn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

apple posted:

I can't wait to trade fierce DP with Necalli stomps and see him get a combo, while also intentionally trading his own LP DP and get a combo because that's still in the game while Ken's isn't!

but kens was a bug....