Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Actually Junkrat is great at KOTH and in every other game mode and every part of the game cause he's the best character. Maybe learn to play scrub

I do love me some Junkrat. He is especially fun when mercilessly harassing Hanzos and Widows that camp in high spots the entire round. Also on koth maps his traps own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Is there any official word on console patches?

they said on the stream yesterday that they really really want them to be simultaneous with PC patches, but console patching systems suck so they will probably be a few days later.

mintskoal posted:

I do love me some Junkrat. He is especially fun when mercilessly harassing Hanzos and Widows that camp in high spots the entire round. Also on koth maps his traps own.

trap owns on every map :cool:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

For teleporter noises, I'd ducked into the room to the right inside the arch on hanamura A attack and one of our team did the enemy teleporter placed callout. I could hear the hum clearly. Saw symmetra run back into the area so I waited until she passed then went looking. It was in that small pagoda room with the health pack in the courtyard between a and b. So that was a pretty good distance to hear it when it's not drowned out by gunfire.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kerrrrrrr posted:

they said on the stream yesterday that they really really want them to be simultaneous with PC patches, but console patching systems suck so they will probably be a few days later.

I had read that Ana was going to have the big reveal done at the San Diego Comic Con, on the 27th. I would presume that is when the earliest expected go-live is for the console patches.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Asimo posted:

Yeah I totally can't say I hear it like that. :v: Like I can maybe hear my own if I'm running back from spawn and there's no immediate gunfire in the vicinity, but I think I've heard McCree's once or twice ever(mostly due to the spur jangle) and basically never heard anyone else's in an actual fight, since any sort of conbat noise nearby just drowns it out entirely.

It's like this critical gameplay awareness mechanic that I can't participate in. I mean there's plenty of other reasons my ranking is in the low 30's such as having a shoulder injury and just being middle aged, but at least horrible aim is immediately blatant and not just something where everyone else has an inherent anti-flanking advantage I don't. That's somehow way more... disheartening than just being bad, I guess? It's hard to explain. :(

Nah, I asume he's just pointing out how it's objectively supposed to be experienced for context's sake.

Don't know if you posted about your setup earlier but if you don't already have a seperate sound card and good headphones you may find it to be a worthwhile upgrade. I have some minor hearing problems and it's a big difference for me vs. Speakers with onboard sound.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Asimo posted:

Yeah I totally can't say I hear it like that. :v: Like I can maybe hear my own if I'm running back from spawn and there's no immediate gunfire in the vicinity, but I think I've heard McCree's once or twice ever(mostly due to the spur jangle) and basically never heard anyone else's in an actual fight, since any sort of conbat noise nearby just drowns it out entirely.

It's like this critical gameplay awareness mechanic that I can't participate in. I mean there's plenty of other reasons my ranking is in the low 30's such as having a shoulder injury and just being middle aged, but at least horrible aim is immediately blatant and not just something where everyone else has an inherent anti-flanking advantage I don't. That's somehow way more... disheartening than just being bad, I guess? It's hard to explain. :(

Nah, I asume he's just pointing out how it's objectively supposed to be experienced for context's sake.

Nah, don't worry, he's full of poo poo. You don't really hear footsteps unless you're out on your own and nothing's really happening. They're loud enough that you can track people by them if you're way out there on a flanking route or something and nothing else is happening in your earshot, but as soon as anyone (including you) fires a gun anywhere near you, Blizzard's dynamic sound system drops the footstep volume to basically nothing and Reaper's big booming THUD THUD THUD becomes only slightly more audible than pixie whispers, so even the nastiest flankers can sneak up on you with ease if you're meaningfully contributing to the game in any way.

Like, Blizzard really bragged about their sound system adjusting the volume on everything according to importance and danger level, but in practice all that means is that the game hits the mute button on everything except battle sounds and (most) ult callouts as soon as someone touches a mouse button.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, don't worry, he's full of poo poo. You don't really hear footsteps unless you're out on your own and nothing's really happening. They're loud enough that you can track people by them if you're way out there on a flanking route or something and nothing else is happening in your earshot, but as soon as anyone (including you) fires a gun anywhere near you, Blizzard's dynamic sound system drops the footstep volume to basically nothing and Reaper's big booming THUD THUD THUD becomes only slightly more audible than pixie whispers, so even the nastiest flankers can sneak up on you with ease if you're meaningfully contributing to the game in any way.

Like, Blizzard really bragged about their sound system adjusting the volume on everything according to importance and danger level, but in practice all that means is that the game hits the mute button on everything except battle sounds and (most) ult callouts as soon as someone touches a mouse button.

Playing with nice headphones and the Dolby setting on, I don't find this to be the case at all. Even in the middle of fights I can very easily hear Tracer blinks behind me or much quieter footsteps than Reaper's. The teleporter hum is also really obvious.

One thing that really helps is turning the in game music off.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Turning off the music definitely helps a lot.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
How will I know when to get hype without the music?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Asimo posted:

:geno:

Oh, there's just the hero callout and not like some big (theoretically) blatant constant hum or whatever? Okay yeah, I hadn't missed that at least, I can hear the voice cues fine.

The bigger noise is the one that happens when the teleport is first placed. It's pretty loud but hard to describe. A high pitched techy kinda sound that drops a bit lower as the teleport unfolds and then spikes back up to a high note right toward the end. Play Symmetra in an empty custom game or something and deploy one for yourself so you can hear it and know what I'm talking about.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The bigger noise is the one that happens when the teleport is first placed. It's pretty loud but hard to describe. A high pitched techy kinda sound that drops a bit lower as the teleport unfolds and then spikes back up to a high note right toward the end. Play Symmetra in an empty custom game or something and deploy one for yourself so you can hear it and know what I'm talking about.

it goes like bshhh-weeeeee

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FAUXTON posted:

You could also say that she had a lot to do with the main story because of her involvement in everything happening between 1964 and whatever year MGS4 is set in like some strange blend of carrie fisher and forrest gump.

Yeah but she was hot back when all that happened.

And yeah, teleporters are basically impossible to hide. Cause even if you place one in a clever spot without anyone noticing the enemy character's will soon start screaming "ENEMY HAS A TELEPORTER" so if they didn't know about it they sure do now. Also the teleporter leaves a noticeable visual effect so if the enemy sees someone with it then they will know its close. The only way to keep a teleporter up against a competent team is to have it placed behind your team so its hard to reach, but even that doesn't stop Tracer.

I dunno why they felt Symmetra needed to have so much stacked against her when it comes to her ult.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's insanely strong though

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What is the best wiki for Overwatch?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I used to hide it back a bit and throw it down asap but now that people actually look for it I try to place it more reactively and close to the team.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheresaJayne posted:

i have seen lots of people die and then rage quit and then restart a new match immediately - i know because I have then backfilled and they have been on the team i backfilled

you can't backfill on competitive and it's ok that quick play has a lenient leaver penalty

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xguard86 posted:

Looks like a potg for Zaraya or Lucio to me...

Look again.

It wasn't a friendly Zarya who launched that ult.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno why they felt Symmetra needed to have so much stacked against her when it comes to her ult.

I think it's because even if the teleporter is found and destroyed the fact that you can just port a good portion of a team at once with it is really strong.

I love playing symmetra on volskaya but it's pretty awkward that literally half the good spots for your teleporter are also just on a standard route for offense so you're basically hoping their pharah or reaper don't notice wherever you try to hide the stupid thing.

route 66 on the other hand has that perfect pocket next to the dumpster for your teleporter

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xguard86 posted:

Looks like a potg for Zaraya or Lucio to me...

Your peasant eyes deceive you. The Genji reflected 3 ults (Zarya, Hanzo, and Tracer) back for hilarious amounts of damage.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

The volume of sound effects are also context-dependent. If you're alone out on a flank and a reaper starts walking around down a path near you, the boot-steps are thunderous. If you're in a scrap with a bunch of people behind a reinhardt shield on both teams shooting at each other, the hostile reaper walking around the path above you is much, much quieter.

Also, I see it mentioned everywhere, but when I turn dolby surround on with my Logitech g930s, I can't pick out specific sounds as easily as when I turn it off. I might be the only person that has had a negative experience with it? I mean, the sound quality isn't bad and you get audio verticality with it, but I need to pick out stuff like footstep cues over other audio and feel more comfortable with it off.

kaleedity fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 15, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
on the other hand crouch walking does muffle sounds. i've been working it into my reaper play more although realistically being sneaky hasn't felt as important as just making sure I have good spots to drop from or just having good footsies as im pounding into a tank

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 15, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it kind of bothers me that young fleshy-arm genji still has the robot arm shuriken reload actions

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it kind of bothers me that young fleshy-arm genji still has the robot arm shuriken reload actions

that's just some toy he won from the crane machines in hanamura

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you slow it way down you can see they're actually all folded up inside the gauntlet and unfold as he draws them. Which is very Naruto

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"i torb main" elicits such wonderful responses from pubbies.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Is there any difference between leaving a match when it is safe (the countdown has ended) and just staying in the game until the end, besides getting xp in the latter? Do you lose more or less MMR for either, or is xp the only thing that changes?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

i hanjo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

Is there any difference between leaving a match when it is safe (the countdown has ended) and just staying in the game until the end, besides getting xp in the latter? Do you lose more or less MMR for either, or is xp the only thing that changes?

Well, maybe you're lucky and win the match. (lol)

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Verranicus posted:

i thought you had to source your quotes now

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mystic Stylez posted:

What is the best wiki for Overwatch?

http://owinfinity.com/en/ has all the relevant details that a wiki would but is crazy overdesigned and everything takes ages to animate

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Brannock posted:

Deaf character when?

While we're at it, can we get a dyslexic too¿

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 15, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

https://zippy.gfycat.com/KlutzyVelvetyIndianabat.mp4

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just had a comp match where one of the premades was a duo with a low rank mercy player (she was 37 while we were all 50+), and she hung WAY back in every fight, I guess she was scared of dying? When I suggested she just move around more because she had to be up front keeping people healed and boosted her and two others got incredibly pissed on voice chat at me and I dunno if I hit a nerve or something. Was I wrong? I've never seen a mercy play that passively before and am way more used to seeing them flying around in the thick of things.

EDIT: She would basically latch on to someone and then hide behind a corner until they moved out of he rrange, at which point she'd flounder around in back til some other character respawned or backed up close to her.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If tobjorn main i happy

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Did we win any games last night I don't remember

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, maybe you're lucky and win the match. (lol)

I hadn't considered this third option, good call. Assuming I am not a lucky person, does one lose more MMR than the other, or is it the same? I thought I read somewhere back when comp was first implemented that staying in the game lost you more MMR, but maybe now that it doesn't recalculate after the beginning, I wonder if this is still the case or if you're just better off staying for the quick remainder and getting some xp for your time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

i would think merfy is better than hanjo for losing matches

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Merku can kill people too easily at my level.

My MMR is so broken now, that unranked people are more likely to be a credible threat. Placed people run around at about the same difficulty as medium bots.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wall mains Genji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Finished my placement matches on PS4 last night with a ranking of 51 which I think is probably too good for me. I'm not sure of my record though because I was 6-3 near the end of the final match and my team had a significant lead when I got disconnected. I played a lot of Lucio, followed by Phara, who I pulled off some clutch plays with including an ult that wiped out their entire team save 1 when were in overtime on a KotH map.

My initial impression that comp mode is a little better still holds. Maybe people were trying harder because they were placement matches but I felt like the games were played much smarter for the most part. Unfortunately that definitely reduced my effectiveness with Tjorborn. Conversely I felt much better playing as Reinhardt because people actually took advantage of my shield when it was up. Hopefully the impression holds once I have time to play some comp matches.