Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kokoro Wish posted:

Read the manga.

Finish the fight.

gently caress you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

There are two episodes that have directors cuts, eps 23 and 24 I think. 23 especially has some pretty profound additions and is the version your should watch.
It's the last four episodes before 25-26, so 21 and 22 also have DC versions.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So should I or should I not pick up the Usagi Drop manga? Do they pull a Clannad after story-esque bait and switch? I read through all of the available Sweetness and Lightning manga, which was great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a stupid conversation to have (re: Usagi Drop) because people will dance around the issue (or not) but basically the story takes a direction at the end of the manga that is extremely off putting and for a lot of people ruins everything that came before it. So the sage advice might be that if you enjoyed what you watched of the anime don't let that get ruined for you.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, thanks for the explanation of that. I think I'll let this one drop and not sully what I dug about the story in the anime.

Well, I'm looking for more stuff (preferably stuff that's already finished) to watch. Any recommendations for good comedy? I like nichijou, cromartie high, Sakomoto desu ga , that sort of stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch Nozaki-kun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Whatever nichibros is actually called

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Whatever nichibros is actually called
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, which yeah it's hard for me to think of a better comedy, at least recently.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Osomatsu-san

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Srice posted:

Watch Nozaki-kun.

This.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Watch Nozaki-kun.

This, and

Nate RFB posted:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, which yeah it's hard for me to think of a better comedy, at least recently.

this. Nichibros is v. good.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHZKuq8OezI

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

and

!!!!!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Joshiraku and Yuru Yuri (first two seasons, mainly) are both very funny shows.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the third season of yuru yuri is also funny

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mederlock posted:

Hmm, thanks for the explanation of that. I think I'll let this one drop and not sully what I dug about the story in the anime.

Well, I'm looking for more stuff (preferably stuff that's already finished) to watch. Any recommendations for good comedy? I like nichijou, cromartie high, Sakomoto desu ga , that sort of stuff.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Watch the english dub, because it is magical.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

The Colonel posted:

the third season of yuru yuri is also funny

I didn't like it nearly as much because it abandoned a lot of the madcap nature that made the first two seasons so fun, and started including lengthy pleasant-slice-of-life segments that brought the midsection of every episode to a screeching halt. It's okay but I rarely found it as uproariously hilarious as the first two.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: Between what you've seen and what's already been recommended basically all my bases are covered.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nichijou > nichibros.

:yeah:

but the guy's already seen it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Linnaeus posted:

:yeah:

but the guy's already seen it

Yeah I know, s'why I ninja edited. I'm trying to think of other shows along that line that people haven't already suggested.

I mean Hare Noche Guu is really good but it's not quite the same vibe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch gdgd fairies and tesagure baketsumono

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations guys, got it all queued up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mederlock posted:

So should I or should I not pick up the Usagi Drop manga? Do they pull a Clannad after story-esque bait and switch? I read through all of the available Sweetness and Lightning manga, which was great.

I have literally never gotten more mad at a piece of media as I did at the final arc of usagi drop. It retroactively ruins everything that came before it which is an impressive feat.

As for recommendations of funny stuff, while it's not primarily a comedy series(more of a historical fantasy drama with a fair amount of comical bits), the banter and antics between the main crew in anatsuki no yona is some top notch comedy stuff. It helps that the rest of it is incredibly well written too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I have literally never gotten more mad at a piece of media as I did at the final arc of usagi drop. It retroactively ruins everything that came before it which is an impressive feat.

As for recommendations of funny stuff, while it's not primarily a comedy series(more of a historical fantasy drama with a fair amount of comical bits), the banter and antics between the main crew in anatsuki no yona is some top notch comedy stuff. It helps that the rest of it is incredibly well written too.

I went and read some spoilers about it and :vince:. I almost spat out my coffee from laughing. I can not believe the writer thought that was a remotely good idea. That series you mentioned looks pretty cool, I really dig fantasy/drama/sci-fi stuff if it's well written

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This comes up so often the fourth anime recommendation thread should just be titled "Don't read it, they get married."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's so bad I wish I could unknow it. I wish there was a way to warn people away without making them curious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

This comes up so often the fourth anime recommendation thread should just be titled "Don't read it, they get married."

Do it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mederlock posted:

I went and read some spoilers about it and :vince:. I almost spat out my coffee from laughing. I can not believe the writer thought that was a remotely good idea. That series you mentioned looks pretty cool, I really dig fantasy/drama/sci-fi stuff if it's well written

I have been binging Yona and it's kind of an incredible historical fantasy romance/drama/comedy, combining all aspects of the three in such a satisfying way that I don't think there's been a single genuinely bad chapter I've read in the 105 or so chapters I'm currently through. The story progresses at an indomitable pace, the characters evolve gradually at an almost unnoticed rate over time which really feels natural, the drama is loving dark for a shojo series, the violence is incredibly gruesome at points and very unforgiving, and the comedy is so well-timed despite often being mere pages away from something really awful happening that it successfully pushes the often hopeless feelings during the more bleak parts of the series out without diminishing the gravity of the situation most of the time. Also, the mascot critter is loving awesome and has a ton of character despite mostly being in the background.

It's good. Dunno how the anime is but the manga is generally very beautiful, though I'm not that big a fan of the super shojo-styled male characters. The author does some amazing goofy faces too.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yona has a great anime, but sadly stops right before the best arc. Season 2 when

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Watch the english dub, because it is magical.

PSWG is one of only four shows I feel are better with the English dub. It is basically an Adult Swim show that just happened to be written and animated in Japan.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Uhhhhhh, so I guess that was the end of the Evangelion show. What's a good article to explain the what and why of whatever I just watched? Not necessarily some wiki explainer - something more general about the history of the show, too, perhaps?

And this was with the Director's Cut.

Eh, I'll check out End of Evangelion and see if helps make sense of things. Are those 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 versions just cute names for the Blu-ray movies or something else entirely? Dear lord this is confusing.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EoE explains some things and makes the rest worse.

They're just cute names apart from the first one which was 1.0 in the cinema and became 1.11 for the home release because it had some extra bits. The others just kept the naming convention.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

AlternateNu posted:

PSWG is one of only four shows I feel are better with the English dub. It is basically an Adult Swim show that just happened to be written and animated in Japan.

What are the others? I have a soft spot for good English dubs, so when I hear about them, I usually like checking them out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyber City Oedo is one. Maybe the Fist of the Northstar movie.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

unpronounceable posted:

What are the others? I have a soft spot for good English dubs, so when I hear about them, I usually like checking them out.
Cromartie High School's dub is fantastic, though I don't think Kamiyama sounds nearly uptight enough.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The good dubs are whichever ones I watched on Toonami when growing up, but also Cyber City Oedo and Mad Bull 34.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
For comedy, I still always recommend Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san.

As for good dubs, everything I know has already been mentioned. That said, I still have a soft spot for the Ghost Stories dub.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Caught up with yona, I can confirm it is 125 chapters (as of this post) of nonstop quality readin' and in monthly format too so the chapters are extra long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I assume you're all not mentioning Cowboy Bebop's dub because it's so good it didn't need mentioning? :colbert:

AlternateNu posted:

The Japanese dub gets away with half it's own poo poo by skirting the regulations through putting the more... colourful... lines in english, along with a lot of text. The Japanese version is downright polite compared to the English dub.

Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9z9IQ14CSY&t=30s

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfmv7ZBpbAI

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kokoro Wish posted:

For comedy, I still always recommend Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san.

As for good dubs, everything I know has already been mentioned. That said, I still have a soft spot for the Ghost Stories dub.

The Ghost Stories dub is wonderful. I can't think of any other anime that's been so dramatically improved by the dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
akatsuki no yona surprises me less that it exists, and more that its the only show in existence with fantasy korea. the only other im aware of with sorta fantasy korea is seirei no morobito, and thats more panasian. theres a shitload of cultural contact between korea and japan, and there are a shitload of korean names in credits, but it goes totally ignored in anime