Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HIJK posted:

Fascism is the unholy alliance between business and government which does not encourage competition. Marvel has legal competition in the form of DC and other action movies, which precludes fascism or even a monopoly. Also, Marvel is not the government and isn't oppressing citizens by limiting free speech and expression.
OK, so I was right then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Buncha slack-jawed faggots *spits tobacco* goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus ain't got time to bleed *flexes muscles* toxic hypermasculinity

Yeah, exactly!

And now consider what happens to the guy in the movie.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HIJK posted:

Fascism is the unholy alliance between business and government which does not encourage competition.

I've heard a few different definitions of fascism before, but that's definitely a new one

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I've heard a few different definitions of fascism before, but that's definitely a new one

That was the original definition when Italian fascism was the only fascism going

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fascism is that thing Marx likes right

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fine I'll just look it up for you.

wiki posted:

Fascism, derived from the French fétiche; which comes from the Portuguese feitiço; and this in turn from Latin facticius, "artificial" and facere, "to make") is an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others.

The 19th century saw the introduction of two theories of fascism outside what was typically considered religion. The first was Karl Marx's idea of commodity fascism, in which the social relationships involved in production are experienced not as relationships among people, but as value-relationships between things (commodities - including labour - and money). The second was Alfred Binet's term sexual fascism, the sexual attachment to an object in place of a person. Scholars have continued to develop these theories ever since, and they have influenced anthropologists' understanding of fascism in general.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, exactly!

I don't know that Dutch is like, less hypermasculine though, and he saves the day.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, exactly!

He gets killed by a thing from another world that (vagina-face aside) is an inhuman exaggeration of those masculine attributes. Jesse is six foot six two hundred fifty pounds of gleaming man-muscle, he gets killed by the Predator who is eight feet four hundred pounds of alien muscle. The human soldiers wear camouflage, the Predator has a stealth screen. The humans have guns, the Predator has a computer-aided plasma cannon.

My point is that any particular minute of Predator you want to point out contains more (and more concentrated) "toxic hypermasculinity" than the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. Predator showed a group of macho manly men hunting in the jungle who ran into something more manly than they could ever be, and got their asses kicked. I never got the impression that the movie Predator was saying the special forces team was wrong for being there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They were at least tricked into doing that hit mission by their country rather than secret nazis. Boy, was that one of the most spineless plot points put in modern movies. Instead of human greed and corruption and all the things that can come with power, it's secret nazi machinations who are responsible for all the terrible things in the world.

I really enjoyed the movie but that was some serious cringe.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

He gets killed by a thing from another world that (vagina-face aside) is an inhuman exaggeration of those masculine attributes. Jesse is six foot six two hundred fifty pounds of gleaming man-muscle, he gets killed by the Predator who is eight feet four hundred pounds of alien muscle. The human soldiers wear camouflage, the Predator has a stealth screen. The humans have guns, the Predator has a computer-aided plasma cannon.

My point is that any particular minute of Predator you want to point out contains more (and more concentrated) "toxic hypermasculinity" than the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. Predator showed a group of macho manly men hunting in the jungle who ran into something more manly than they could ever be, and got their asses kicked. I never got the impression that the movie Predator was saying the special forces team was wrong for being there.

Both Predator and Die Hard seem to have a lot of anxiety about independent women surpassing men.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

They were at least tricked into doing that hit mission by their country rather than secret nazis. Boy, was that one of the most spineless plot points put in modern movies. Instead of human greed and corruption and all the things that can come with power, it's secret nazi machinations who are responsible for all the terrible things in the world.

I don't think the Russo's were trying to say anything about how lovely our government/NSA is but rather, "Okay we are adapting Winter Soldier, why don't we add a little Secret Warriors in there too?"

Of course its a secret Nazi cabal because its comic book movies, I want to escape from the troubling reality and just imagine that all the poo poo is because of a bunch of Nazis loving up our government/society.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

Of course its a secret Nazi cabal because its comic book movies, I want to escape from the troubling reality and just imagine that all the poo poo is because of a bunch of Nazis loving up our government/society.

Why's that a comforting fantasy?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why's that a comforting fantasy?
Its not when you think about it, I just don't go to a Marvel movie expecting to get some cutting edge political commentary and want to be entertained

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

Its not when you think about it, I just don't go to a Marvel movie expecting to get some cutting edge political commentary and want to be entertained

That again goes back to the question of "why is a world that is objectively worse than the one we currently live in entertaining to you".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Deadpool is both an entertaining movie, and a nuanced pop punk satire of the intersection of commodity with gender/sexual expression. You can watch it back to back with I Love You Phillip Morris and not miss a beat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

That again goes back to the question of "why is a world that is objectively worse than the one we currently live in entertaining to you".
I don't know really at this point

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

Honest, but you do yourself a disservice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Like I can get why people want (eg) Mad Max's world because it's brutal as hell but it's also totally unlike basically anywhere in the world, certainly anywhere most audiences will go.

But the MCU thus far (especially Winter Soldier) is just "real life, but hey it turns out our government is full of Nazis".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

achillesforever6 posted:

Fair enough, but it's definitely something to think about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

computer parts posted:

Like I can get why people want (eg) Mad Max's world because it's brutal as hell but it's also totally unlike basically anywhere in the world, certainly anywhere most audiences will go.

But the MCU thus far (especially Winter Soldier) is just "real life, but hey it turns out our government is full of Nazis".

To be fair, after Operation: Paper Clip, it was.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Jimbot posted:

The implication is that American foreign policy since WW2 is such garbage that it may as well have been decided by a secret nazi cabal.

Doesn't explain why it was such garbage before WW2, though.

computer parts posted:

So no change, then.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

computer parts posted:

No it's more like, the Nazis are the only reason we still can't have world peace. The mcu is not at all like this world, thor's presence alone would cause religious civil wars.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Now that I think about it I like the structure of the movies, I like the characters and their interactions, the action sans stuff like the Avengers is enjoyable for me; really now that I think about it, the one issue that I don't care is probably the world because its just the sandbox for the characters to play in. That and I'm a person who for some reason really sticks with a brand once I like it and I just like the Marvel brand and its an excuse to go to the movies twice a year with my friends and family since they are easy watches and no one I personally know dislikes the MCU brand.

Sorry I can't elaborate in intricate detail, but I'm not one to go beyond simplicity when it comes to discussing stuff like movies.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The implication is that American foreign policy since WW2 is such garbage that it may as well have been decided by a secret nazi cabal.

Doesn't explain why it was such garbage before WW2, though.
Well before WWII we still had foreign policy decided by racists and imperialists even by our most progressive Presidents like TR

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 15, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

achillesforever6 posted:

Sorry I can't elaborate in intricate detail, but I'm not one to go beyond simplicity when it comes to discussing stuff like movies.

That's perfectly fine but you might run into a little friction here since deep-dives into movies is kind of this forum's jam.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/753809579813670913
:allears:

Gal looks amazing. Really hope the WW trailer drops at Comic-Con and they release it online.

[edit] hi-res versions

This loving rules :hist101:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I admit I was hesitant on Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bushisms.txt posted:

The mcu is not at all like this world, thor's presence alone would cause religious civil wars.

You're right and you're wrong. The MCU is not like our world because it still functions like our world even though it's encountered real life aliens.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

computer parts posted:

You're right and you're wrong. The MCU is not like our world because it still functions like our world even though it's encountered real life aliens.

Everybody's too busy quipping about shawarma to process technogods and interdimensional aliens

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kulkasha posted:

Everybody's too busy quipping about shawarma to process technogods and interdimensional aliens

I bet the double nazis suppressed the extraterrestrial combat project.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

I dunno, I feel that "Imagine if the government was really lovely but it turns out that was only because it had been secretly infiltrated by Nazis but then a guy fixes it by punching them" is a LOT more comforting than "The government is lovely because that's just human nature"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Seriously though, who would still be a Christian when Actual Norse God Thor is flying around Manhattan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I admit I was hesitant on Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I am ashamed of my words and deeds.
She doesn't do much but the instant she makes Bruce Wayne all horny by calling him a little boy, I knew she would do a good job.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, I feel that "Imagine if the government was really lovely but it turns out that was only because it had been secretly infiltrated by Nazis but then a guy fixes it by punching them" is a LOT more comforting than "The government is lovely because that's just human nature"

This seems counterintuitive as everyone who thinks like this in real life seems way more on edge than people who think that human nature has unfortunate implications for human institutions.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Seriously though, who would still be a Christian when Actual Norse God Thor is flying around Manhattan.

Do the MCU movies with Thor in them touch on this? Like, is there a shot of a Scandinavian metalhead flipping his poo poo or something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This seems counterintuitive as everyone who thinks like this in real life seems way more on edge than people who think that human nature has unfortunate implications for human institutions.

Oh you don't consider the implications in real life, the point of escapism is that you pretend there's simple solutions to issues which are actually horrifically complex and intractable. The simple solutions might be difficult to achieve and require people to take their shirts off and flex their muscles a lot but they get there in the end.

Also if you buy lots of action figures and posters and display them prominently in your house and on your desk at work they'll constantly remind you of those simpler, more thematically satisfying times!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I do like some good old fashioned escapism but I just find it hard to separate reality from fiction when the US government is concerned. I was completely invested in Iron Man's escapism because it touched bases on the military industrial complex and how cyclical it is and how someone who was complacent with that started having problems with it once he saw how it effected people's lives. It was a minor part of a power fantasy but it was enough for me to buy into the fiction set in the real world. Winter Solder took me out of the fantasy by making secret nazis the root of all evil. It was too sanitized and safe - borderline on propaganda.

It's why I appreciate DC's Superman films. It explores the world's reaction to this mighty being in an interesting way. Really looking forward to checking out the Ultimate cut on blu-ray come the 19th. It was incredibly dumb for them to release it digitally a month early.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Both Predator and Die Hard seem to have a lot of anxiety about independent women surpassing men.

These responses to McTiernan are mixing up the political with mere politics. Die Hard is about a working-class cop fighting a massive corporation (and, as an aside, some already-rich professional thieves). McClane may very well be sexist, (and we know his marriage is doomed to failure) but that's not a very big deal in this grand scheme of things. He's a sexist cop who's struggling through life while Nakatomi has over 600 million in bonds just sitting there. And now he's on the verge of being murdered for profit.

McTiernan is not saying that Steve Rogers is a fascist character (Rogers is currently a hardcore libertarian character). He's saying that the Marvel films express a fascist logic where the actual people are made powerless against the insidious reptilian conspiracy, so we need strong leaders to do what's necessary to eliminate them. In the battle between Avengers and the reptilians, the possibility of collective action by the people is foreclosed - unthinkable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The people, such as they are, exist in these films to buy merch.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's perfectly fine but you might run into a little friction here since deep-dives into movies is kind of this forum's jam.

Eh, that's usually only a problem with posters offended when the deep-dives contradict popular consensus.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oddly enough, I suspect that actually existing would be a liability for a deity. Real beings can intervene in disputes between their followers, which is inevitably a political role, rather than being beyond politics (within the community of the deity's worshipers).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Captain America for one.

In real life? Pretty much all Christians. Never underestimate the human race's ability to rationalize or ignore anything that disagrees with their worldview.

And I think the Marvel universe is pretty spot-on in terms of how the world would react to discovering there are aliens: momentary shock, terror, wonder, then everyone just assimilates that info and moves on.

• Locked thread