Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I went through my voting but it didn't give me an opportunity to vote for a mayoral candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I wonder how effective it would be for an opposition member to stand up and call someone in government a liar outright. It's probably unparliamentary language.

It is absolutely unparliamentary language. I think a small handful of MPs have used it in the last decade, and they were all quite heavily sanctioned? I'd have to dig through google to find specific examples, though.

It's fine to say that an MP is "being economical with the truth", though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

why is everyone voting for caroline shawcroft

Idiocy I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

NRVNQSR posted:

It is absolutely unparliamentary language. I think a small handful of MPs have used it in the last decade, and they were all quite heavily sanctioned? I'd have to dig through google to find specific examples, though.

It's fine to say that an MP is "being economical with the truth", though.

Or a danger to national security.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Am I the only one who noticed the obvious sandinista origin as an attempted Mccarthyite slur against Sanders? Corbynista is just an appropriation of that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Corbrade

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Am I the only one who noticed the obvious sandinista origin as an attempted Mccarthyite slur against Sanders? Corbynista is just an appropriation of that.

No? This is why Baron Corbyn said it was more appropriate for Sanders than Corbyn.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Coohoolin posted:

:ughh:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

VileLL posted:

copywriting the phrase 'corboys' to reap in thousands as the concern trolling machine starts up

Corboys will be the armed force of the left after the Event (Brexit), serving under Immortan Jez. Serving as a corboy will be an honour like no other in the blasted wastelands of the Midlands as they deck themselves in red shirts and do battle with the Little Englanders in the wastes, hoping to die in glory on the M4.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Or a danger to national security.

Or a terrorist sympathiser.

But not dodgy.

Parliament is loving stupid.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Thundercloud posted:

It's to prevent motions of no confidence and AGMs, because lol at any Blairite committees staying in power at the moment.

And it means executive committees will appoint delegates to conference, not CLPs, which means no democratic vote. It means Blairite CLPs will appoint conference delegates.

Except meetings for "Meetings solely for the purpose of making a supporting nomination in the leadership contest and for essential Annual Conference business", which I think includes meetings to nominate delegates to the Annual Conference. So its only no-confidence motions they are trying to avoid, not annual conference delegates nomiation.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

i believe it's to connect supporters of corbyn to the wrestler turned actor dave bautista, to make them sound thuggish and green skinned

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/753940911411830784

I am very much looking forward to reading that white paper.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It'll be worse than the SNP's pretty shambolic white paper and they didn't even manage to present one before the vote.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/753940911411830784

I am very much looking forward to reading that white paper.

There's... nothing written here..?

White Paper innit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NoneMoreNegative posted:

There's... nothing written here..?

White Paper innit.

Whiter paper for a whiter Britain.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Liar is a big word because its very hard to prove. You're only really a liar if you know the truth and choose not to use it, otherwise you're just wrong. Boris may have repeated that 350m pounds for the NHS nonsense, but without being in his head, its impossible to know for sure if he knew it was false. Its less rude, and presumably more parliamentary to assume someone is misinformed, but acting in good faith, than it is to assume they're a deceitful turd person.

That being said, I don't really understand why lying carries more of a stigma than gross ineptitude. Its like the hacking scandal where everyone of import got off by claiming to be completely unaware of what their staff were doing on a day to day basis. Lying is wrong and would have gotten them in trouble, but being in a high position at a huge company and completely loving useless is not. James Murdoch especially is a man who was either the worst kind of liar or, if we're being generous to him, so genuinely slow and incompetent that he he shouldn't be trusted with cutlery, much less a media empire. But without proof, he's legally just a moron, rather than a monster. Much like many of our elected officials.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ok I got my NEC vote email and... I have no idea who these people are. The info they provide has been written by them and is useless. Is there a rundown on these people?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

namesake posted:

Corboys will be the armed force of the left after the Event (Brexit), serving under Immortan Jez. Serving as a corboy will be an honour like no other in the blasted wastelands of the Midlands as they deck themselves in red shirts and do battle with the Little Englanders in the wastes, hoping to die in glory on the M4.

That's more loving like it. Adopting this

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

In case anyone needs to know who not to vote for:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
May's Cabinet
Shamelessly stolen from the Grauniad

Seems to be the usual shower of bastards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

In case anyone needs to know who not to vote for:

Pretty sure we're mainstream Labour now :ussr:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ok momentum are saying like vote these six and one of them is Christina Shawcroft who this thread said was bad but didn't say why.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ok I got my NEC vote email and... I have no idea who these people are. The info they provide has been written by them and is useless. Is there a rundown on these people?

http://home.freeuk.com/clpd/clga_nec2016.pdf is a list with a bit of info on the 6 candidates suggested by the Centre Left Grassroots Alliance, which is a slate of candidates that has been endorsed by a bunch of other Labour left organisations like Red Labour.
https://labourfirst.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/labour-firsts-recommendations-for-nec-and-ncc-elections-2016/ is Labour First's slate, which represents the Labour right while pretending to represent the mainstream & calling everyone else hard left because they are fantasists. Luke Akehurst is on there for fucksake.

I haven't got my email yet so I dunno who else is on there, but that's a bit of info on 12 of them at least.

Would like to see the views of everyone who has said "don't vote for Shawcroft" because I've no familiarity with her.

Pesky Splinter posted:

May's Cabinet

Priti Patel as International Development seems a cruel joke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I voted for Ellie reeves

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

http://home.freeuk.com/clpd/clga_nec2016.pdf is a list with a bit of info on the 6 candidates suggested by the Centre Left Grassroots Alliance, which is a slate of candidates that has been endorsed by a bunch of other Labour left organisations like Red Labour.
https://labourfirst.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/labour-firsts-recommendations-for-nec-and-ncc-elections-2016/ is Labour First's slate, which represents the Labour right while pretending to represent the mainstream & calling everyone else hard left because they are fantasists. Luke Akehurst is on there for fucksake.

I haven't got my email yet so I dunno who else is on there, but that's a bit of info on 12 of them at least.

Would like to see the views of everyone who has said "don't vote for Shawcroft" because I've no familiarity with her.

Priti Patel as International Development seems a cruel joke.

Thanks.

Yeah the Shawcroft thing is bugging me. I was all ready to follow the CLGA advisement and there she is.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I don't know if it's my red-green colourblindness or my screen being off but if not then geez that's barely distinguishable. I know subtle pastel shades are in but there's a reason why bright and different colours are often used in datavis. Or I'm just blind in which case I retract my previous statement.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

I don't know if it's my red-green colourblindness or my screen being off but if not then geez that's barely distinguishable. I know subtle pastel shades are in but there's a reason why bright and different colours are often used in datavis. Or I'm just blind in which case I retract my previous statement.

It must be your colourblindness because the two colours look very different to me.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Angepain posted:

I have a degree of red-green colourblindness (and probably a badly calibrated monitor, since I've never tried to colour-calibrate it) and I can distinguish the two colours in that graphic very easily.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

drat, I was going to post the candidate guide, but you can't get back in to see it once you're voted.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

May's Cabinet

Can't wait to see Grayling go toe to toe with a Middlesbrough lad.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

Pretty easy to tell apart for me but infographics that don't take into account the various types of colourblindness in selecting shades are bad imo. There are a bunch of tools that let you do it in like two clicks and some standard colourblind safe hue selections, it's really lazy not to use them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For those with colourblindness, to clarify, the "Brexiteers" are:

Bojo
Davey Davey
Liam "War-Luster" Fox
Priti Patel
oval office Grayling
Andrea Losesom
Natalie Evans

With the others as "Remainers".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsbane posted:

drat, I was going to post the candidate guide, but you can't get back in to see it once you're voted.

The one the vote email links too is poo poo and is just a blurb written by them about how awesome they are and tells you nothing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

My life is a terrible anguished slog of squinting at screens on occasion and not being able to read numbers made out of circles

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

The one the vote email links too is poo poo and is just a blurb written by them about how awesome they are and tells you nothing.

So use the knowledge that the left wing of Labour likes 6 of them and the right wing likes another 6 and then Google their names for some more info?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

My life is a terrible anguished slog of squinting at screens on occasion and not being able to read numbers made out of circles

And you can't even get a guide dog cos they're red-green colourblind too.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it's okay i made a better version of the diagram which should be informative for all audiences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

As a service to those with colorblindness I have drawn little horns on the remainers and little halos on the brexiteers for ease of reference.

(Also Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster is the dumbest poo poo, but I have come to expect that from the British Parliament, like the resignation rules.)

e: ^^^ I guess we were both doing the same thing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

brycey posted:

i just assumed it was a pejorative suffix so of course it gets used lots

I assumed it was supposed to suggest a connection to South American revolutionaries, given the people that use it are also constantly trying to twit Corbyn for appearing next to a Cuban flag every time that happens

Although doing some reading it turns out the sandinistas are themselves named for a person, so yeah I guess it is just like the -gate thing.

• Locked thread