Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

steinrokkan posted:

Relying on government sources?

depends on who the airforce belongs and how big the military coup is.

yeah its way to early to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
http://www.ntv.com.tr/canli-yayin/ntv

Not in English.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So is the Turkish military better or worse then Edrogan. I'm guessing worse, because military tends to lean more right then government.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

Whoah, now this is something I did not expect. I thought Erdogan purged the military to prevent precisely this eventuality.

Getting rid of army leaders, and replacing them with people who implicitly know you regard them as disposable puppets whose (metaphorical) survival depends on your whim won't work in the long term unless you are Stalin.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lDGLQZkWqYJm

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Turkish military coups have generally been a force for good, imho. It's an aberration, but the Kemalist ideology of the army elites seems to have worked, historically, as it was supposed to.

Past military coups are part of the reason why Turkish people supports Erdogan, though. You can only keep them in chains for so long...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/754050015950143488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

count me as one who thought these days where over after the dumb e-coup

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how strong are the police in Turkey? a fight between the police and army seems like a pretty quick victory for the military but I could see Erdogan heavily arming the police for this very event

He did, but if he really thought they could take on the Turkish military, weeeeeell...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't like Erdogan but I don't know what the Turkish military is like. Tell me what to think here goons.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rookersh posted:

So is the Turkish military better or worse then Edrogan. I'm guessing worse, because military tends to lean more right then government.

It's probably better.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well I suppose that's one way of shutting down resistance quickly.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/MahirZeynalov/status/754050538917007360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'm not nearly even close to knowing enough about this to start one myself, but could the coup be moved to its own thread? I imagine a lot of people would be interested.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I thought Erdogan had purged most of the Gulenists last year after all those embarrassing wiretaps were released. Regardless I imagine if the military was plotting something itself they'd probably get involved somehow anyway

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't like Erdogan but I don't know what the Turkish military is like. Tell me what to think here goons.

do you like kurds crushed beneath your heel and sweet lamentations of their women folk?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hope this is over quick, regardless of who wins. Coups are bad, protracted violence in urban environment is worse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how strong are the police in Turkey? a fight between the police and army seems like a pretty quick victory for the military but I could see Erdogan heavily arming the police for this very event

Depends on how many Army units are participating. The Turkish Army has very modern equipment though, and I doubt that the police have anything that can counter a Leopard.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Junior G-man posted:

I'm not nearly even close to knowing enough about this to start one myself, but could the coup be moved to its own thread? I imagine a lot of people would be interested.

There's one over in CSPAM I think if people want to post there.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Does Navo have any obligations to the ex-regime if the coup succeeds?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Getting rid of army leaders, and replacing them with people who implicitly know you regard them as disposable puppets whose (metaphorical) survival depends on your whim won't work in the long term unless you are Stalin.

I guess, but it's still a sign of major incompetence when the coup happens even in fairly good economic conditions. I mean, look at Venezuela. The country is practically gone already and the army still hasn't rebelled.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Jan Böhmermann is having the last laugh.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Xandu posted:

There's one over in CSPAM I think if people want to post there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783358

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Holy poo poo, I always thought the army would make Erodan toe the line, but I never expected them to actually act against him unless there were large scale protests.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, if this is most of the military Tureky's as good as couped. I highly doubt their police forces have the equipment or numbers to fight off their own military.

If this is a minor uprising by a group of hardliners and the rest of the military is on the side of the government, then it's more interesting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sai posted:

Does Navo have any obligations to the ex-regime if the coup succeeds?

We tend to demand a democratic transition and then swiftly return to normal whenever the new government is sworn in. Pretty much the same thing we do whenever there's a military coup.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Bip Roberts posted:

It's probably better.

How would they possibly be better? Real dictators who take power through violence aren't better than petty pseudo-dictators.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

I guess, but it's still a sign of major incompetence when the coup happens even in fairly good economic conditions. I mean, look at Venezuela. The country is practically gone already and the army still hasn't rebelled.

the turkish economy has been in a downward spiral for a while which Erdogan blamed on a shadowy cabal

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know much myself, but traditionally military leaders are secular, pro-Europe, and anti-Kurd. Edrogan had done a good job co-opting and biting off the head of the snake regarding them for years, well, until now.

Erdogan had been amassing power lately to an alarming degree, exhibiting increasing instability, least of which re foreign policy (the running theory with his political enemies is that he is pro-ISIS). However, he had just won an election (that had the SE of the country practically not vote due to military crackdowns).

Turkey WAS Erdogan for the last decade. This can only lead to more instability.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a NATO country and there's the Incirlik base too. I wonder how the US will react, apparently they store WMDs there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, if this is most of the military Tureky's as good as couped. I highly doubt their police forces have the equipment or numbers to fight off their own military.

If this is a minor uprising by a group of hardliners and the rest of the military is on the side of the government, then it's more interesting objectively worse.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's poo poo either way.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

kustomkarkommando posted:

the turkish economy has been in a downward spiral for a while which Erdogan blamed on a shadowy cabal

(((globalists)))??

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a NATO country and there's the Incirlik base too. I wonder how the US will react, apparently they store WMDs there.

Do you think we have nukes in Turkey?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Erdogan is corrupt and a wannabe dictator, but I still think it's bad, even if the army overthrowing the government is almost a turkish national pastime.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm literally in Turkey at the moment, this is a weird moment for me.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

(((globalists)))??

"the interest-rate lobby"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Young Freud posted:

Hope Brown Moses is at the British Embassy now.

I trust BM to not go Caro. But yeah, let's hope that the country stays secure despite of this. Things would be really glum if eg. ISIS started kidnapping westerners after state security fell apart...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I'm literally in Turkey at the moment, this is a weird moment for me.

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Eat poo poo Erdogan you cocksucker, you brought this all upon yourself.

• Locked thread