Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The big mistake with The Big Short is that it effectively adapts Apatow comedy to "serious drama," including and especially vacuous celebrity cameos.

You begin wondering why Ryan Gosling doesn't get in on the action? Like saying, "Hey, I'm clearly Ryan Gosling, but you need me to 'sex up' history. For all its apparent populism, though, the movie is remarkably patronizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just started The Invitation and I seriously can't believe this guy isn't Tom Hardy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've been addicted to Limitless. I didn't think I would like it when I threw an episode on, but by like halfway through I was hooked. Too bad it got cancelled. :smith:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It didn't get mention much here and to be honest I haven't enjoyed the last couple of seasons much, but OITNB current season is the best since season 1, if not better. Nice comeback in 2016 from it and House of Cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've been addicted to Limitless. I didn't think I would like it when I threw an episode on, but by like halfway through I was hooked. Too bad it got cancelled.

:agreed:

I never saw the film but a few people recommended the show to me and it's surprisingly charming. So much worse shows have been renewed too.

Maybe Netflix will pick up a season 2?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

:agreed:

I never saw the film but a few people recommended the show to me and it's surprisingly charming. So much worse shows have been renewed too.

Maybe Netflix will pick up a season 2?

The film was way better than I expected, it's worth checking out. The pilot episode does a similar but smaller scale plot.

And it was shopped to netflix and amazon and they turned it down. I feel like Netflix should have made a decision after they had it on streaming, though, since most of the chatter I've heard about it was because of people watching it on Netflix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The invitation was pretty good. I enjoyed the ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Difficult People season 2 has started on Hulu. In case you missed it, it's a tremendously funny vehicle for Billy Eichner and Julie Klausner.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nate fisher posted:

It didn't get mention much here and to be honest I haven't enjoyed the last couple of seasons much, but OITNB current season is the best since season 1, if not better. Nice comeback in 2016 from it and House of Cards.

Yeah, we all binged it the first week and agreed that it is supremely better than the last couple seasons.

#KillPiper

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

precision posted:

Difficult People season 2 has started on Hulu. In case you missed it, it's a tremendously funny vehicle for Billy Eichner and Julie Klausner.
Yes this is a very good show if you like those 2 people. If you don't, you will hate it! :thumbsup:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

neonnoodle posted:

Yes this is a very good show if you like those 2 people. If you don't, you will hate it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I tried watching it, but I couldn't finish the first episode

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Cool Hand Luke's carwashing scene is great

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm watching The Big Short now and it's very good. I can't help but think Christian Bale is playing a parallel universe alternate version of his character in American Psycho.

I will never understand why he hasn't gotten that thing removed from near his right eye.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So apparently they made a new season of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret? I had no idea they were until I saw the little netflix notification that there was a season 3 available. I watched the first 2 a couple times through and loved it, and I just finished the first of season 3 and I am so goddamn confused.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Junkie Disease posted:

Terminator Gyniesus is unsafe at any speed.

I liked it, I thought it was a fun dumb, occasionally clever movie. Best Terminator sequel since 2.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This movie The Invitation has the same soundtrack as Under The Skin.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drunken officeparty posted:

So apparently they made a new season of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret? I had no idea they were until I saw the little netflix notification that there was a season 3 available. I watched the first 2 a couple times through and loved it, and I just finished the first of season 3 and I am so goddamn confused.

I loved the first 2 and have no idea how they could do a third. Can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I loved the first 2 and have no idea how they could do a third. Can't wait. Thanks for the heads up.

It's like an alternate reality dream version I guess? Because obviously from the end of S2 there was literally nothing to go off of and I doubt they ever expected to make more 6 years later. I have no idea if they tie it together later on or what.

Also David Cross got fat in the face.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

It's like an alternate reality dream version I guess? Because obviously from the end of S2 there was literally nothing to go off of and I doubt they ever expected to make more 6 years later. I have no idea if they tie it together later on or what.

Also David Cross got fat in the face.

I don't know, Todd Margaret stumbling his way through a post apocalyptic hellscape has some potential for hilarity.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I couldn't get through the first season - not because the show was bad, but because the vicarious embarrassment was just too much for me. I was constantly cringing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I couldn't get through the first season - not because the show was bad, but because the vicarious embarrassment was just too much for me. I was constantly cringing.

Exactly the same way, my man. Is it worth having another go?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Exactly the same way, my man. Is it worth having another go?

It's that type of humor through the entire thing so. If anything it just gets worse as it goes on. But it's really good if you like that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

gently caress yessssss new todd margaret

I'm seriously out of stuff to watch, this is amazing

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

How is this new show Stranger Things so far?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Season three of Todd Margaret was loving incredible. I'm glad I rewatched the first two beforehand, because I think some of it would have gone over my head if I hadn't seen them recently.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm still not sure how to interpret the ending

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Season three of Todd Margaret was loving incredible. I'm glad I rewatched the first two beforehand, because I think some of it would have gone over my head if I hadn't seen them recently.

Gonna start re-binging the series tonight, cringe humor is particularly hit-or-miss but I love Todd Margaret and Peep Show

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ok Stranger Things is basically Hi-8 the series. It's pretty well done so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm enjoying stranger things but the 80s nostalgia aping seems gratuitous.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The music is good.

The director's hebephilia is loving bizarre though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nemesis (Hulu) - :krad::iia: I figured this would just be a poo poo-tier sci-fi action flick, and, well, it totally is but what a glorious one! Take healthy dose of Blade Runner, a dash of dehumanizing angst from Robocop, a fistful of Terminator, a heaving scoop of every drat William Gibson book you can find, add a pinch of secret special ingredient Predator (!), and you have this delightful movie. Oh, and drench it with a gallon of hilariously semi-competent shooty-and-oddly-explosive action scenes (I'll stop with the terrible recipe thing now).

The acting is pretty uniformly terrible, filled with some amazing European accents. Did you know Brion James was actually German?? Well he wasn't. C-list action star Olivier Gruner leads the cast with a French drawl that is unfortunately not as awesome as Van Damme but hey, this is the discount model. Tim Thomerson is clearly having a blast delivering some real clunkers with complete and utter sincerity. Oh, and there's also Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who seems to be having fun.

This movie's not gonna win any awards for originality but it sure as hell isn't boring. I'm honestly amazed I hadn't heard of this series before (there are naturally three sequels, all of which look pretty drat bad judging by the wiki descriptions).

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Had to confirm through imdb but holy gently caress there's a Johnny Marr cameo in the new Todd Margaret finale.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just finished season 3 of Todd Margaret. I'm still super confused and don't know what happened.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Just finished season 3 of Todd Margaret. I'm still super confused and don't know what happened.

it was all a dream... Twice?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

Nemesis (Hulu) - :krad::iia: I figured this would just be a poo poo-tier sci-fi action flick, and, well, it totally is but what a glorious one! Take healthy dose of Blade Runner, a dash of dehumanizing angst from Robocop, a fistful of Terminator, a heaving scoop of every drat William Gibson book you can find, add a pinch of secret special ingredient Predator (!), and you have this delightful movie. Oh, and drench it with a gallon of hilariously semi-competent shooty-and-oddly-explosive action scenes (I'll stop with the terrible recipe thing now).

The acting is pretty uniformly terrible, filled with some amazing European accents. Did you know Brion James was actually German?? Well he wasn't. C-list action star Olivier Gruner leads the cast with a French drawl that is unfortunately not as awesome as Van Damme but hey, this is the discount model. Tim Thomerson is clearly having a blast delivering some real clunkers with complete and utter sincerity. Oh, and there's also Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who seems to be having fun.

This movie's not gonna win any awards for originality but it sure as hell isn't boring. I'm honestly amazed I hadn't heard of this series before (there are naturally three sequels, all of which look pretty drat bad judging by the wiki descriptions).

Albert Pyun :hellyeah: is the director. He may never get big budgets, but he always loving gives it his all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Limitless tv show is pretty great.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm sorry to keep posting about it but I'm now halfway through Stranger Things and this show is loving fantastic. I want this 80's almost blood dragon riff nostalgic soundtrack too.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm sorry to keep posting about it but I'm now halfway through Stranger Things and this show is loving fantastic. I want this 80's almost blood dragon riff nostalgic soundtrack too.

I'm glad to see Wynonna Ryder didn't turn into some wierdo like Johnny Depp or Helena Bohnam Carter, which I assumed would happen any time you spend formative years around Tim Burton.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The evolution of the girl is done really well. It's hard not to get all squishy inside every time she learns a bit more about what it is to be a normal happy kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'm glad to see Wynonna Ryder didn't turn into some wierdo like Johnny Depp or Helena Bohnam Carter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SELe8vSqas0