Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's awesome watching a coup in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Lmao
He's delusional, but knowing Erdogan, that's no surprise

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Showing a sound grasp of history.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

A nice relaxing holiday.

i hope it was cheap at least

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

steinrokkan posted:

Merkel has worked with him because he was the only person filling the necessary niche for solving the refugee crisis. I imagine she would be happy with somebody replacing him.

I imagine whoever replaces him will slow down drastically migrant flows

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Panzeh posted:

It's awesome watching a coup in action.

what a time to be alive

though hopefully no one has been, or will be, killed

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

i hope it was cheap at least

Lets just say he should probably just spend all his Lira and not bother trying to save any to convert back.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Media here in Europe are sayin Erdogan is on a plane heading to Germany....... :iiam:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Karl Sharks posted:

what a time to be alive

apparently people in the streets are cheering on the coup

reality is surreal

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How does the Turkish minority in Germany generally feel about Erdogan?

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reality is surreal

They were marching against him a few years before and were brutally put down. The cities really didn't like the guy.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

steinrokkan posted:

Ataturk wasn't involved in the genocide, though.

I was wrong!
Greeks though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

Media here in Europe are sayin Erdogan is on a plane heading to Germany....... :iiam:

Correct, he has been forbidden from entering Turkey.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Mightypeon posted:

I kind of doubt that brown moses is behind this.
Can this be the thread title?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
https://twitter.com/mike_giglio/status/754069454926016512

Is the secure location 41,000 ft above Bulgaria?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reality is surreal

Urban areas are generally opposed to the AKP, they drew their support from rural conservatives and religious-types.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

I was wrong!
Greeks though.

The perfidious Greeks waging a war of conquest were destroyed by the righteous Turkish liberators.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bettwer than 6ft under ground.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Karl Sharks posted:

bloodless coups have fewer helicopters shooting at government buildings

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Morrow posted:

Urban areas are generally opposed to the AKP, they drew their support from rural conservatives and religious-types.
Possibility of a civil war confirmed

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Next time you should go somewhere with a nice and stable ruthless dictatorship with an iron grip on the populace

Brown Moses should go to China next :v:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
https://twitter.com/MariaLiaCalvo/status/754067355408314368

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
If Erdogan was on a plane heading to Turkey, the military must been forced to start early for some reason, because one would have expected them to wait for the plane to land first.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oddly enough, same over here.

My guess so far is that if Russia takes credit, they didnt do it and were totally blindsided, but if they dont they probably spent the last 6 months or so making certain assurances to certain parts of the Turkish military.

Thing is, Erdogan recently did things that Russia liked, such as taking regime change in Syria of the table and apologizing for the shootdown.
This of course also shows weakness, and well, in Turkey you can be a mad megalomaniac civil war starting dictator, but you can be a weak mad megalomaniac civil war starting dictator.

The conspiracy crowd in Russia is kind of "oh no, Erdogan saw the light and then his CIA handlers pulled the plug", while more official Russia seems to be "Coup in Turkey, news at 11, on balance we should benefit.".

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

coffeetable posted:

bloodless coups have fewer helicopters shooting at government buildings

Did the tanks shooting at the parliament during the Moscow coup kill anyone?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Where in the world is Recep Erdoğan?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Constant Hamprince posted:

Lets just say he should probably just spend all his Lira and not bother trying to save any to convert back.

Funny this is I arrived here the day after the Brexit where the exchange rate tanked so I had less spending money, and now it's shooting back up. Hurrah.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Lmao

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Holy gently caress, if that's true.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Rincewinds posted:

If Erdogan was on a plane heading to Turkey, the military must been forced to start early for some reason, because one would have expected them to wait for the plane to land first.

He was in Bodrum (Turkish west coast) when the coup started, or maybe on the plane back.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Did the tanks shooting at the parliament during the Moscow coup kill anyone?

Depends on who you ask.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Mightypeon posted:

Turkish military is already getting lionized as a "secular pro democracy force opposed to the mad Sultan."
The weird thing is that CNBC also does that....

This is pretty close to the mark, actually.

:toot:

I don't think the term "heroes" is too strong a word for the people who organized the removal of Erdogan (I.E. the man who was dismantling the oldest secular republic in the region and was a direct supporter of ISIS). If it succeeds, this is a great day for the Muslim world.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Pakled posted:

How does the Turkish minority in Germany generally feel about Erdogan?

especially the first generation of turkish immigrants are pro Erdogan, the younger ones not so much

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I kinda hope they allow him to land in Germany to then put him in chains and hand him over to Turkey. But considering what a bellend Merkel is, I doubt this will happen.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Will we have our first ever stateless person stuck in a perpetually flying airplane?

Maybe the UN will scramble together a budget to supply his plane with mid-air refuelling and food supply so he can keep flying around forever and ever and ever, making angry rants on facetime all the while

az
Dec 2, 2005

AP and AFP report that an explosion has occured, possibly at the television station.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo, a few weeks ago I was reading about how corrupt and insane Turkey's leader was, his brand of religious populism and obvious desires to erode democracy and rule of law was infuriating. I thought "hey, doesn't the Turkish military usually step in when the rural religious idiots manage to get too much power and try to destroy the secular republic Ataturk founded?" and bam here we are.

Hopefully the military does a good job. The changes to the constitution should involving shifting some of the power balance more towards the cities rather than the over-represented countryside. It feels weird to be cheering for the military coup in any situation, but holy gently caress did Turkey have a poo poo government.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

yeah Turkey's coups have never worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Saw this, but can't find any confirmation aside from the one tweet.

• Locked thread