Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HighwireAct posted:

http://www.twitter.com/realDenaldTrump/status/754063737473101824

Jesus

Edit: Twitter account confirmed fake

Oh no, Denald Trump is making controvirsuel statamontos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

az posted:

comedy account

The guys running the Reddit live feed really need to vet their sources

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

If he won those elections, he did so on a platform of theocracy

no he didnt

az
Dec 2, 2005

The gently caress is goign on on that street

edit: people crawling around on the ground, ducking and running away screaming

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

CNN live streaming a gun fight right now.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It sounds like things might be starting to fall apart for the coup.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thug Lessons posted:

Both CHP and MHP are condemning the coup. I don't think it can progress any more.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=238&nID=101670&NewsCatID=341

Don't think their support or condemnation is really relevant, as if they survive the coup they'll quietly fall in and attempt to profit from the death of AKP.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

az posted:

The gently caress is goign on on that street

Seems to not be going the military's way.

I imagine the next few NATO meetings will be awkward as hell.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

Both CHP and MHP are condemning the coup. I don't think it can progress any more.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=238&nID=101670&NewsCatID=341

I don't know that the heads of parties have all that much sway here - they may be loyal to the democratic system but they don't have any power here unless their rank and file prefer Erdogan to a coup.

az
Dec 2, 2005

automatic small arms fire right now

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Tanks firing near parliament

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HighwireAct posted:

http://www.twitter.com/endeavoringE/status/754071471794819072

Doesn't look like he's on an airplane after all

EDIT: Possibly prerecorded footage, but OP is saying it was live

What is even happening anymore

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Please don't let this lead to a protracted insurgency/civil war. :(

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Helicopter gunships firing in Ankara

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH5eB5uBaZ9/?taken-by=bunyamincan_

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

Don't think their support or condemnation is really relevant, as if they survive the coup they'll quietly fall in and attempt to profit from the death of AKP.

yeah, the heads of a political party need to maintain democratic cred so the statements alone don't mean much

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I don't know that the heads of parties have all that much sway here - they may be loyal to the democratic system but they don't have any power here unless their rank and file prefer Erdogan to a coup.

The Turkish military likes to rewrite constitutions and hand power back to an elected government as quickly as they can. Non-cooperation from the big two opposition parties will be a stumbling block

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Pictures look more like people fraternizing with the soldiers to me.

Erdogan tried to defang the military, but well, he hosed himself over by sending the military into multiple conflicts which made him rely on it.
He also simultaneously messed up his relations with the Urban middle class and with the Kurds.

His backing of ISIS also meant that he was no longer the most Islamist guy in town (which means that hardcore islamists dont actually support him," real and authentic Caliphate" is right over the border).

Pentagon dislikes him for attacking the Kurds, Russia dislikes him for shooting down planes, EU dislikes them for trying to blackmail them with refugees. Oh yeah, Gulf Arabs now also dislike him for apologizing to Russia and starting a 180 degree turn in Syria. He even managed to piss of China by backing "Turkmen" (actually Uighur) insurgents in Syria who were seeing it as a training ground for Jihad in Xinjiang.

Erdogan has zero friends, and way too many enemies.

TLDR: Dont purge if you want to go to war soon.
The only major powers he did not manage to totally piss are Japan, India and Brazil.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mightypeon posted:

I'd hope so for the most part, there are small amounts of people trying to show their dedication to the daesh and getting beat down over it and I hope that doesn't happen more or we're in civil war baby

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Holy poo poo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Antti posted:

2016.jpg

CP ???

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There are gonna be a bunch of islamists who are very unhappy with a successful coup, and we all know how peaceful and calm they are. I'd be surprised if there was absolutely no fighting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kustomkarkommando posted:

The Turkish military likes to rewrite constitutions and hand power back to an elected government as quickly as they can. Non-cooperation from the big two opposition parties will be a stumbling block

Shaking their first into the camera as it happens is not the same as non-cooperation once it's done

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mightypeon posted:

Erdogan tried to defang the military, but well, he hosed himself over by sending the military into multiple conflicts which made him rely on it.
He also simultaneously messed up his relations with the Urban middle class and with the Kurds.

His backing of ISIS also meant that he was no longer the most Islamist guy in town (which means that hardcore islamists dont actually support him," real and authentic Caliphate" is right over the border).

Pentagon dislikes him for attacking the Kurds, Russia dislikes him for shooting down planes, EU dislikes them for trying to blackmail them with refugees. Oh yeah, Gulf Arabs now also dislike him for apologizing to Russia and starting a 180 degree turn in Syria. He even managed to piss of China by backing "Turkmen" (actually Uighur) insurgents in Syria who were seeing it as a training ground for Jihad in Xinjiang.

Erdogan has zero friends, and way too many enemies.

TLDR: Dont purge if you want to go to war soon.
The only major powers he did not manage to totally piss are Japan, India and Brazil.

the coup clearly show that comrade endrogan did not purge enough

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can you please link to those frontlines streams? CBS has pundits talking.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

cochise posted:

CNN live streaming a gun fight right now.

https://youtu.be/y60wDzZt8yg?t=3h54m56s

az
Dec 2, 2005

cochise posted:

Holy poo poo

thats from ~90 minutes ago and was supposedly aimed at the intelligence building or the police hq

---definite gunfight going on right now

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh poo poo people really came to the street against the coup. It was pretty well organized but the media should ALWAYS be the first target of a coup nowadays. Always, you control the media you control the message.

az
Dec 2, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Can you please link to those frontlines streams? CBS has pundits talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEmqvVPOX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ikasuhito posted:

It sounds like things might be starting to fall apart for the coup.

Not quite yet, it is a coup that has fairly wide military support, it will only start to fall apart when that support starts to fail.

Which could occur if is stops being a (mostly) bloodless coup and they're forced to start shooting protesters in the street after Edrogan's call. Edrogan's facetime, which the twitterati and hot take experts here roundly mocked is a clear and dangerous call for escalation and despite what people may choose to believe he does have a large amount of support in the country and, at the moment, despite twitter reports of him fleeing the country, it doesn't seem like he's planning on giving in yet.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

[in joementum voice]: you know who else was a democratically elected bad guy?

George Bush?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank you

Tei posted:

CP ???

No, Erdogan is not a child, he's just pictured on a small screen.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

orange sky posted:

Oh poo poo people really came to the street against the coup. It was pretty well organized but the media should ALWAYS be the first target of a coup nowadays. Always, you control the media you control the message.
They did take the media, but Erdogan was using Arabic news channels.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

OAquinas posted:

That's a fake account. ("Denald")Still, ouch.

I still refuse to the believe @realDonaldTrump actually belongs to a person running for President of the Unites States. It's all parody to me.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks. That's better than Wolf Blitzer mumbling like an idiot

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Shaking their first into the camera as it happens is not the same as non-cooperation once it's done

The MHP have begun leaning into the Islamic nationalist side of their ideology with more confidence in recent years so I don't think they will be coming out to back the military if the move to remove some of the religious reforms the AKP pushed through

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Magical Zero posted:

They did take the media, but Erdogan was using Arabic news channels.

Oh, my bad. Resourceful that, do Turkish people usually watch those channels, are they national?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So a successful military coup seems pretty bad. And a failed coup with Erdogan weathering the storm seems like it would be many times worse than the old Turkey of Erdogan we had four hours ago too. So this is great!

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Erdogan is not going to surrender or give up.

Just not going to happen. Thats not how Erdogan rolls.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

cochise posted:

Thanks. That's better than Wolf Blitzer mumbling like an idiot

Well these people are mumbling on while you see a guy get killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

hitler, it's always hitler

• Locked thread