Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
In the MCU, every single Abrahamic religion is explicitly disproven and Norse Paganism is the only religious faith to have any basis in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the MCU, every single Abrahamic religion is explicitly disproven and Norse Paganism is the only religious faith to have any basis in reality.

Just you wait until Jesusman shows up to defeat Thanos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

And I think the Marvel universe is pretty spot-on in terms of how the world would react to discovering there are aliens: momentary shock, terror, wonder, then everyone just assimilates that info and moves on.

At bare minimum, countries that are not allied with the US would be really loving pissed.

And that's the thing, I don't think anyone really acknowledges that aliens are real. They acknowledge Thor exists, but no one says "poo poo, we're not alone in the universe" even though that was and is a major question in human existence.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

In real life? Pretty much all Christians.

Seriously. "He's just a powerful guy, much like the Hulk." To the extent anyone cared about Norse mythology, it would be a joke about how dumb they were for mistaking them for gods.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shouldn't tiny Linda Carter be a spoiler?

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Buncha slack-jawed faggots *spits tobacco* goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus ain't got time to bleed *flexes muscles* toxic hypermasculinity

There's a Little Richard song playing during this scene.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finding out that the Norse gods were aliens all along doesn't really answer the question of "who created the universe we currently live in" tho. For a lot of Christians it probably if anything answers the questions of "why did various people from all over the world worship different sets of Gods*" which not only isn't incompatible with Christianity, you could argue it compliments it.

*to the extent that any Christian even gives a poo poo about this other than "you clearly made up your dumb god but my God is for real"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Seriously though, who would still be a Christian when Actual Norse God Thor is flying around Manhattan.

The existence of an Actual Norse God would almost certainly drastically raise the number of people who identify as Christians.

It'd recontextualize vast portions of the Bible from being vestigial (such as the first commandment, "You Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me") into being prophetic. Every minister, pastor, priest and preacher is going to take advantage of that.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

These responses to McTiernan are mixing up the political with mere politics. Die Hard is about a working-class cop fighting a massive corporation (and, as an aside, some already-rich professional thieves). McClane may very well be sexist, (and we know his marriage is doomed to failure) but that's not a very big deal in this grand scheme of things. He's a sexist cop who's struggling through life while Nakatomi has over 600 million in bonds just sitting there. And now he's on the verge of being murdered for profit.

McTiernan is not saying that Steve Rogers is a fascist character (Rogers is currently a hardcore libertarian character). He's saying that the Marvel films express a fascist logic where the actual people are made powerless against the insidious reptilian conspiracy, so we need strong leaders to do what's necessary to eliminate them. In the battle between Avengers and the reptilians, the possibility of collective action by the people is foreclosed - unthinkable.

Actually, Die Hard is about a blue collar dude stymied by his natural enemies: upwardly mobile 80s ladies, incompetent municipal bureaucrats, incompetent federal bureaucrats, yuppie scum, West Coast degenerates, the loving media. His only ally? The guy who shot Tamir Rice, and the lesson of the movie is how you "live with a mistake" (it's through the regenerative power of violence).

No one actually cares about the 600 million--including Hans, who only wants to be an "exceptional thief." Yeah, in IRL Nakatomi could buy and sell John McClane six ways from Sunday, he has all the real power, but in real reality, the only power is violence, and that's where McClane excels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just as well the double nazis suppressed XCOM in the MCU because it's not like they'd land a hit against the reptilians there either.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

He gets killed by a thing from another world that (vagina-face aside) is an inhuman exaggeration of those masculine attributes. Jesse is six foot six two hundred fifty pounds of gleaming man-muscle, he gets killed by the Predator who is eight feet four hundred pounds of alien muscle. The human soldiers wear camouflage, the Predator has a stealth screen. The humans have guns, the Predator has a computer-aided plasma cannon.

My point is that any particular minute of Predator you want to point out contains more (and more concentrated) "toxic hypermasculinity" than the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sure, vagina-face aside. And skirt aside. And fishnet tank top aside. And gross long fingernails aside. And long hair aside. I do find the idea that the Predator is an exaggeration of the men's toxicity pretty interesting, but at the same time I don't know how you can deny that the Predator is in fact a big buff lady. That the poster boys for toxic masculinity get beaten at their own game and out-manned by a big buff lady seems like an important part of the point.

As for the second part, just showing it doesn't mean the movie is supporting that kind of stuff. If it did Paul Verhoeven would be a fascist rear end in a top hat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, as others have pointed out, the hypermasculinity of the Predator itself doesn't undermine the film's obvious satire of the overt relationship between hypermasculinity and colonial imperialism. In fact, by colliding these signifiers of not only penetration, but also disembowelment and other inverting, violent acts; with 'conflicting signifiers' of the queer and sexual feminine, as well as both the foreign and 'savage,' the film manifests the ultimate, pathological construction of colonial fears: The vagina dendatta and brutal black buck collided into one, a being sitting at the heart of darkness that is horrific precisely because it obliterates the comforting Western cultural binaries between male/female, man/nature, savage/intelligent.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Actually, (if you bother to do some real reading on the subject) you'll find that the Yautja (the true species name of the Predators, as coined in 1994's Aliens vs. Predator: Prey) are actually a hyper advanced civilization that far outstrips humanity, so if anything we're the colonized ones.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guy A. Person posted:

Finding out that the Norse gods were aliens all along doesn't really answer the question of "who created the universe we currently live in" tho. For a lot of Christians it probably if anything answers the questions of "why did various people from all over the world worship different sets of Gods*" which not only isn't incompatible with Christianity, you could argue it compliments it.

*to the extent that any Christian even gives a poo poo about this other than "you clearly made up your dumb god but my God is for real"

I think the comics addressed this by saying that above all the various gods is a capital-G God that created the Marvel universe.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Phylodox posted:

And I think the Marvel universe is pretty spot-on in terms of how the world would react to discovering there are aliens: momentary shock, terror, wonder, then everyone just assimilates that info and moves on.

I want you to consider that, fifteen years later, people have not stopped talking about 9/11.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

porfiria posted:

Actually, (if you bother to do some real reading on the subject) you'll find that the Yautja (the true species name of the Predators, as coined in 1994's Aliens vs. Predator: Prey) are actually a hyper advanced civilization that far outstrips humanity, so if anything we're the colonized ones.

That's a pretty hackie expansion on the 'mythos' of the films that still kind of ignores all of the Chariots of the Gods stuff that has been interpolated into their histories over the years. Like, even the name "Yautja" sounds vaguely like a monster of indigenous American folklore.

It's important to realize, however, that the metaphor of the Predator does not extend from its conceptualization. It is conceptualized to exploit unconscious schemata of the foreign, exotic, alien, etc. Predator very explicitly does not show a creature that is interested in colonization at all, but merely in claiming life for it's own sake. It is the bottomless pit to which colonial powers condemn themselves, intractable struggles with the environment and indigenous life in order to conform to a particular hegemony. The result is the nuclear bombing of the rain forest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the comics addressed this by saying that above all the various gods is a capital-G God that created the Marvel universe.

I vaguely remember a comic from the 80s where some cosmic being explains the universe to the Beyonder (who for some reason got reincarnated as a woman) and it sounded like "creators and gods all the way down".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HorseRenoir posted:

In the Marvel Universe God is actually Jack Kirby

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's a pretty hackie expansion on the 'mythos' of the films...

porfiria was being ironic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

I want you to consider that, fifteen years later, people have not stopped talking about 9/11.

And is your day-to-day life fundamentally different than it was before? We talk about it, make movies about it, racist idiots and opportunistic warmongers use it to justify their lovely actions, but that's nothing new.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

And is your day-to-day life fundamentally different than it was before? We talk about it, make movies about it, racist idiots and opportunistic warmongers use it to justify their lovely actions, but that's nothing new.

Yeah, my country is stuck in a war that's stretched out for more than a decade which has made me complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, which has then rebounded into horrifying acts of terrorism at home and abroad. It has cost us trillions of dollars that could have been far better spent, which money has fed the expansion of a permanent political class embedded in the military industrial complex, further corrupting a government that wasn't all that responsible to its citizens to begin with. The lives of hundreds of millions of people, if not billions, are manifestly worse based on decisions that were made as a result of 9/11.

Like, yeah, "racist idiots and opportunistic warmongers use it to justify their lovely actions." That's a loving problem, because it worked as a justification.

Also, the airport is way more inconvenient now.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sir Kodiak posted:

porfiria was being ironic.

I'm not calling him a hack!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

And is your day-to-day life fundamentally different than it was before?

Are you loving serious with this? All my email, phone calls, and texts are stored by the NSA because people are pissed scared of the "terrorists" because of 9/11. There's no money for a good public education for my kids because it all got pissed away on military adventures in Iraq that happened because of 9/11. There's a major presidential candidate basing xenophobic policies on destabilization of the Middle East based largely on our reaction to 9/11.

In short: I think you've forgotten what the USA was like and where it was going pre-9/11.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Now imagine the effect of 9/11 if the planes had emerged from a portal to a different corner of the universe, and Elon Musk in a spacesuit and a giant talking gorilla had shown up to divert the 2nd plane back into the portal before it impacted, then on 9/11/2002 an army of sentient droneships attacked Volgograd based on Elon tinkering with the plane's black box, and also a new different plane emerged from a different portal in summer 2002 to crash into London. Then Elon and the gorilla have a big public fight at an airport before the gorilla is branded a traitor. I bet people would still be talking about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electromax posted:

Now imagine the effect of 9/11 if the planes had emerged from a portal to a different corner of the universe, and Elon Musk in a spacesuit and a giant talking gorilla had shown up to divert the 2nd plane back into the portal before it impacted, then on 9/11/2002 an army of sentient droneships attacked Volgograd based on Elon tinkering with the plane's black box, and also a new different plane emerged from a different portal in summer 2002 to crash into London. Then Elon and the gorilla have a big public fight at an airport before the gorilla is branded a traitor. I bet people would still be talking about it.

A talking monkey?!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

K. Waste posted:

That's a pretty hackie expansion on the 'mythos' of the films that still kind of ignores all of the Chariots of the Gods stuff that has been interpolated into their histories over the years. Like, even the name "Yautja" sounds vaguely like a monster of indigenous American folklore.

It's important to realize, however, that the metaphor of the Predator does not extend from its conceptualization. It is conceptualized to exploit unconscious schemata of the foreign, exotic, alien, etc. Predator very explicitly does not show a creature that is interested in colonization at all, but merely in claiming life for it's own sake. It is the bottomless pit to which colonial powers condemn themselves, intractable struggles with the environment and indigenous life in order to conform to a particular hegemony. The result is the nuclear bombing of the rain forest.

It's fascinating to consider if the exact same movie had been made but with the original far more exotic, preying mantis-like design instead of Pussyface McFishnets.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McSpanky posted:

It's fascinating to consider if the exact same movie had been made but with the original far more exotic, preying mantis-like design instead of Pussyface McFishnets.

I'd say the things K. Waste pointed out would still be there. Just think what praying mantises are famous for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

At least Preying Mantis dude got a scene in Predators, even if he did get completely chumped. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Psycho Mantis!?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phylodox posted:

Captain America for one.

In real life? Pretty much all Christians. Never underestimate the human race's ability to rationalize or ignore anything that disagrees with their worldview.

I think the Christian response to aliens would be "Have you heard the good word of the lord and savior Jesus Christ?"

I'm not joking - the Catholic Church has published papers on the subject, and in this case Thor would be proving that the Norse religion is false. Thor is no god and can't hear people praying to him. If he had a mailing address, Thor would probably be inundated by Christians trying to convert him. :catholic:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

There's actually a comic about all that, it's called Watchmen and I heard it was pretty good. There was even a movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

There's actually a comic about all that, it's called Watchmen and I heard it was pretty good. There was even a movie.

The sequel is even better, though it's not available on Blu-Ray/DVD until next week.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TV series Supernatural had Loki's true identity revealed as the archangel Gabriel. I think this was in an episode where Norse, Greek and Hindu gods had a meeting to discuss what they are going to do when the world is about to be wrecked by the Heaven-Hell war.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The MSJ posted:

TV series Supernatural had Loki's true identity revealed as the archangel Gabriel. I think this was in an episode where Norse, Greek and Hindu gods had a meeting to discuss what they are going to do when the world is about to be wrecked by the Heaven-Hell war.

I thought they revealed that earlier, but he was in that episode and Lucifer wrecked shop on all of them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

The sequel is even better, though it's not available on Blu-Ray/DVD until next week.

The one benefit of retrofitting Watchmen into the main DCU means Watchmen is retroactively the first DCCU movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JaredLeto/status/754072770363822080

I can't wait to finally see Leto's take on the Joker.

computer parts posted:

I thought they revealed that earlier, but he was in that episode and Lucifer wrecked shop on all of them.

What was revealed earlier was that the Trickster was in fact, the archangel Gabriel. The Loki reveal came up on the episode where Lucifer wrecks the "pagan" gods.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

Sounds about right for a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off.

(Actually, since Dante was in Marvel vs Capcom and in SMT: Nocturne, the Marvel universe and the SMT universe are connected)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3ufqp3l10

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, my country is stuck in a war that's stretched out for more than a decade which has made me complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, which has then rebounded into horrifying acts of terrorism at home and abroad. It has cost us trillions of dollars that could have been far better spent, which money has fed the expansion of a permanent political class embedded in the military industrial complex, further corrupting a government that wasn't all that responsible to its citizens to begin with. The lives of hundreds of millions of people, if not billions, are manifestly worse based on decisions that were made as a result of 9/11.

Like, yeah, "racist idiots and opportunistic warmongers use it to justify their lovely actions." That's a loving problem, because it worked as a justification.

Also, the airport is way more inconvenient now.

Love this post

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredLeto/status/754072770363822080

I can't wait to finally see Leto's take on the Joker.

Someone pointed out that The Tattoo Man is the actually villain of the film. What if the Joker's tattoos were actually placed on him by Tattoo Man as a means of controlling him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Obviously what Phylodox meant is that the Chirauri were a smaller event because 9/11 killed over 3000 people and a massive dimensional rift and alien invasion by a god only killed 74.

• Locked thread