Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Yvonmukluk posted:

But the thing is I'm partisan for Spider-Girl, and not Spider-Man (although he is probably my favourite superhero), and she appears to be this thread's Red Hood.

Nah, she's... the... I dunno... Azrael... no, that's Scarlet Spider... she's the... uh...

...she's boring and inoffensive.

So Harper Row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

But the thing is I'm partisan for Spider-Girl, and not Spider-Man (although he is probably my favourite superhero), and she appears to be this thread's Red Hood.

Spider-Girl isn't a multiple murderer, so we're good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think Marvel is trying to sell May as hard as DC is shilling Jason, either. May is more like this vaguely-neglected continuity corner that nonetheless has some fans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

I don't think Marvel is trying to sell May as hard as DC is shilling Jason, either. May is more like this vaguely-neglected continuity corner that nonetheless has some fans.

Mayday is this thread's Squirrel Girl.

Forgotten, raised only as a joke, unknown to most fans. But there's hope! Once a writer comes along who makes her an Avenger's go-to babysitter, Yvonmukluk will be deluged in books and be so happy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Mayday is this thread's Squirrel Girl.

A false flag operation to scuttle any further comedy or diversity-focused books?

(I will never stop laughing that someone actually suggested that)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I was happy with Mayday's status as it stood pre-Spider-Verse. She'd had a very good run of books (130+ issues in total, I think), and they'd set up a quite nice ending for her while still leaving the option for future stories to be told. And then Dan Slott came in and basically demolished most of the stuff that made her so good in the first place.

I'd have been quite happy if there had never been another Spider-Girl book, honestly. It feels like they only really used Mayday out of obligation, because that's where Spider-Ben wound up. I mean, people were accusing Anya of 'replacing' Mayday as Spider-Girl back when she first got that name (which was unfair), and then in Web Warriors she's literally hanging out in Mayday's house with her baby brother and getting advice from Mayday's (recycled replacement) father figure, while Mayday is more-or-less out of the book entirely (honestly if it wasn't for the impending cancellation, they'd have almost certainly stretched out the resolution of Billy & Mayday's involuntary exile).

And now she's going to be mostly forgotten, in favour of a character (that while, from what we saw of her was still good and I'm looking forward to Conway's take on her), is a character, created by the guy who ruined Spider-Girl that seems almost tailor made to supplant her role in the narrative. Now I doubt Dan Slott was cackling to himself as he systemically destroyed DeFalco's creation to make his own version look better in comparison, but there's always going to be that niggling doubt.

If Spider-Girl hadn't been crapped on so much, I'd honestly probably have never really discussed her at all outside of the very occassional 'hey, anyone remember her?' post and I'd probably still be looking forward to RYV as another take on Peter & MJ with a kid. But instead I have to deal with the fact that one of my very favourite characters - the first comic I every read was a Spider-Girl comic - has been torn down and seems to be chronically mishandled. And like all 3rd-stringers, there's not really any way out of the death spiral - it's almost a certainty after Web Warriors she'll be marked as toxic and stuck in limbo. Except without the closure she'd been given before Spider-Verse.

And I'm probably one of a miniscule and shrinking group of people who even knows who she is, let alone cares.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

A false flag operation to scuttle any further comedy or diversity-focused books?

(I will never stop laughing that somone actually suggested that)
Thank you for reminding me that this was a sincere position someone angrily took.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They "Springtime for Hitler"-ed that book mark my angry, angry words.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Am I an outlier for enjoying Spider-Verse? I've heard mostly negative things about it but I really enjoyed it. It was a really fun bit of fanservice bringing back all the weird old alternate spideys. It wasn't a particularly good story but it was fun and that's what matters to me.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Xinder posted:

Am I an outlier for enjoying Spider-Verse? I've heard mostly negative things about it but I really enjoyed it. It was a really fun bit of fanservice bringing back all the weird old alternate spideys. It wasn't a particularly good story but it was fun and that's what matters to me.

I don't like seeing cool spider people exist for 2 frames then die.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cerepol posted:

I don't like seeing cool spider people exist for 2 frames then die.

That was dumb. But then you can just say that Franklin brought them all back to life at the end of Secret Wars.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

That was dumb. But then you can just say that Franklin brought them all back to life at the end of Secret Wars.

Except Web Warriors is predicated on the fact that those dead Spider-Men are still dead.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xinder posted:

Spider Verse was pretty awesome. People get all hung up on alternate Spider-Men getting killed instead of not being used at all for years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not really seeing how dying violently is better than being quietly forgotten.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except Web Warriors is predicated on the fact that those dead Spider-Men are still dead.

Franklin brought them back happy and retired!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Lurdiak posted:

But newspaper spider-man survived, and he was the most important.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've been trying to say for ages but failed to articulate properly. I mean, look at characters like Luke Cage & Squirrel Girl - they were quietly forgotten for years, and then writers who were really passionate about them decided to bring them back and look at them now. Bringing characters out of obscurity solely to die is I think a terrible idea. I think the only case where it really worked was Kraven's Last Hunt, and that's very much the exception that proved the rule, since it's almost as much Kraven's story as it is Peter & Mary Jane's.

Codependent Poster posted:

Franklin brought them back happy and retired!
Except that the MC2 Peter Parker was already happy and retired and he's clearly still dead. :smith:

Xinder posted:

Well of course he did, because he's still being written by Stan. Like how Miles did basically nothing at all (his own book didn't even tie in) because presumably Bendis is higher on the pecking order.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 16, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Miles was in one of the best tie ins with the 60's cartoon Spider-Man. As controversial as the event was, most of the tie ins were drat good.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Die Laughing posted:

Miles was in one of the best tie ins with the 60's cartoon Spider-Man. As controversial as the event was, most of the tie ins were drat good.

I'll agree with that. The tie-ins were more fun than the main story.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Xinder posted:

You misspelled Spider-Ham.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
He's up there, but not quite as great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That would've been way better if Morlun just gave up on killing newspaper Spider-man out of sheer aggravation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Isn't that what happened?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Isn't that what happened?

No, Weaver hid the universe to protect it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Hold on, I just made a connection I need to share with the rest of the class.

Morlun and his family only feed on the "essence of animal totems" or whatever. One of the Vultures said that they get to eat the bodies after Morlun and his family are done with their "essence." So this means that they can't just feed on animals, right? But at the end of Spider-Verse they're trapped somewhere eating a bunch of spiders that just came out of the walls or something. So those can't be normal spiders, they have to be some form of totem.

Which means The Thousand is in Spider-Verse. Never forget about The Thousand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xinder posted:

Morlun and his family only feed on the "essence of animal totems" or whatever. One of the Vultures said that they get to eat the bodies after Morlun and his family are done with their "essence." So this means that they can't just feed on animals, right? But at the end of Spider-Verse they're trapped somewhere eating a bunch of spiders that just came out of the walls or something. So those can't be normal spiders, they have to be some form of totem.

You will get your no-prize in the mail shortly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Xinder posted:

I'm mad

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Skwirl posted:

You will get your no-prize in the mail shortly.

Any time I get to bring up The Thousand is truly its own reward.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xinder posted:

Any time I get to bring up The Thousand is truly its own reward.

It was a good story, I miss Spider-Man's Tangled Web.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Xinder posted:

They could feed on animals, but they probably don't have that special energy that humans have when bonded with the animal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xinder posted:

Alternatively: they're all going to starve to death because those spiders are radioactive and because they do actually need to eat other totems too (which they can't do in the bunker).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Skwirl posted:

It was a good story, I miss Spider-Man's Tangled Web.

It was a cool idea that died too young. Putting a bunch of no-names and the occasional big name that has never touched a certain character in charge of them for a short arc is something I'd love to see come back.

Die Laughing posted:

They could feed on animals, but they probably don't have that special energy that humans have when bonded with the animal.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Alternatively: they're all going to starve to death because those spiders are radioactive and because they do actually need to eat other totems too (which they can't do in the bunker).

I started to think about this to make a rebuttal but then I realized I don't care enough. That was just a really long-winded excuse to talk about The Thousand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7D-67xqwYE

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't know if anyone else is playing Spider-Man Unlimited, but they're currently doing an mini event based on Dying Wish/Superior Spider-Man. And the description of the current part (based around when Otto was trying to get with MJ) really has to be seen to be believed. Whoever is writing it apparently wasn't a fan of the original story.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't know if anyone else is playing Spider-Man Unlimited, but they're currently doing an mini event based on Dying Wish/Superior Spider-Man. And the description of the current part (based around when Otto was trying to get with MJ) really has to be seen to be believed. Whoever is writing it apparently wasn't a fan of the original story.

Can you post a screenshot or something?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I play this game way more than I ever thought I would. Here's the screenshot you're asking for

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is pretty accurate description.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The whole storyline is gross as gently caress.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
whiny fanboy editorializing: not just for the internet anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In more positive news, Ryan Stegman has been posting art from Renew Your Vows on his Twitter and it is adorable. :3:

• Locked thread