Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's easier to compare to past Total War prices. All of their mini-campaign packs have always been $15-20.

To me the questionable thing here--in the sense of whether or not I personally want to play it and thus buy it--is that the Q&A revealed that this one will be single player, one faction playable with only one legendary lord. Their argument is that it is heavily story focused and that there will be enough unique events to offer the same replayability as other playable factions or multiplayer might have. My argument is that maybe I'll wait to buy because while I have always enjoyed their mini-campaigns I don't think I'll love beastmen enough to enjoy a mini-campaign with them as the only playable. Maybe that'll change after fighting against them enough in the grand campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Not gonna buy it right now just because I don't give a hoot about mini-campaigns and still have others left for the grand campaign.

Will probably buy it happily later on sale though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gejnor posted:

For some reason the hotfix had to eat up almost all my SSD's harddrive space for some reason and i was left with 500 meg and an error message that i'd never seen before, turns out it was literally about to eat up all the remaining space during its write to disk stage. Its odd though because i had around 15 gigs of free space before the patch did its thing, seems to be a temporary usage deal so free space went up after it was done.

Oh and as an aside, i went into "delete old unused games"mode on that SSD, Pillars of Eternity takes 25 gigs :psyduck:

For reference the Witcher 3 with all DLC's takes 45 gigs, but thats a massive open world game with stunning graphics, while i love PoE i just dont understand how you can almost reach 50% of W3 with what is essentially a prettier Baldurs Gate game.

Uncompressed assets probably. Titanfall was 48 gigs because it included every language's audio in lossless format.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Decus posted:

It's easier to compare to past Total War prices. All of their mini-campaign packs have always been $15-20.

To me the questionable thing here--in the sense of whether or not I personally want to play it and thus buy it--is that the Q&A revealed that this one will be single player, one faction playable with only one legendary lord. Their argument is that it is heavily story focused and that there will be enough unique events to offer the same replayability as other playable factions or multiplayer might have. My argument is that maybe I'll wait to buy because while I have always enjoyed their mini-campaigns I don't think I'll love beastmen enough to enjoy a mini-campaign with them as the only playable. Maybe that'll change after fighting against them enough in the grand campaign.

Beastmen will also be playable in the grand campaign, including co-op. The mini campaign is an additional thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Duradin Steamheads, Spite-Revenants

When I was dead broke, man I couldnt picture this

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
A question about the game itself, I've been ignoring creating vassels in my previous games in favor of map painting. In my current empire game I subverted a faction I had beat as I wasn't interested in expanding in that direction or dealing with the hassle of managing a minimally productive, strategically unimportant, city. However, four times now, other factions that I have been closely allied with keep declaring war on that vassel for no clear reason, hell they aren't even near the vassel. Is there a way to stop this from happening or negotiate a peace between them? I'm really sick of getting dragged into pointless wars in previously settled areas.

Chomp8645 posted:

Your gonna need a lot of Ur-gold if you want to play some Age of Sigmar.

Ur-Gold may well be the dumbest thing in Age of Sigmar. It sounds like something that would appear in a paranoid schizophrenic, internet libertarian's rant about the Jews.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I dont know posted:

A question about the game itself, I've been ignoring creating vassels in my previous games in favor of map painting. In my current empire game I subverted a faction I had beat as I wasn't interested in expanding in that direction or dealing with the hassle of managing a minimally productive, strategically unimportant, city. However, four times now, other factions that I have been closely allied with keep declaring war on that vassel for no clear reason, hell they aren't even near the vassel. Is there a way to stop this from happening or negotiate a peace between them? I'm really sick of getting dragged into pointless wars in previously settled areas.

Ur-Gold may well be the dumbest thing in Age of Sigmar. It sounds like something that would appear in a paranoid schizophrenic, internet libertarian's rant about the Jews.

You might just have to abandon the vassal. The relation between your vassal and other AI factions do not seem to be reset. Select your vassal and hover your mouse over the relevant factions.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Oh and as an aside, i went into "delete old unused games"mode on that SSD, Pillars of Eternity takes 25 gigs :psyduck:

For reference the Witcher 3 with all DLC's takes 45 gigs, but thats a massive open world game with stunning graphics, while i love PoE i just dont understand how you can almost reach 50% of W3 with what is essentially a prettier Baldurs Gate game.

15 gigs dedicated to backer NPC descriptions and 5 gigs dedicated to adjectives in Grieving Mother's dialogue.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I will be preordering the DLC because I'm literal human garbage

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, me too

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

unwantedplatypus posted:

I too have preordered the DLC because you're literal human garbage

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Ditto.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kaza42 posted:

same

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm excited to play the underdogs of the Old World

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Todbringer isn't in the game as a LL, hopefully this DLC makes him so, since there's a couple ways to get him already

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

RentACop posted:

Todbringer isn't in the game as a LL, hopefully this DLC makes him so, since there's a couple ways to get him already

He's the main adversary in the mini campaign, I don't think they are changing him in the grand campaign.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yukitsu posted:

It's called new editions. Pay it all again when a new rulebook comes out.

At least the models were usually a big step up from previous editions. GW may be a garbage company in nearly all ways but they had some great talent in the miniatures department for a long time.

Of course, I'm a terrible modeler and painter so had to enjoy those vicariously.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I dont know posted:

He's the main adversary in the mini campaign, I don't think they are changing him in the grand campaign.

just swap Toddbringer and Franz in the mini campaign, problem solved

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I dont know posted:

They drat hell better!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Was there a mini patch that did anything? Looks like I downloaded something for it but I can't find any news.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Beans posted:

Was there a mini patch that did anything? Looks like I downloaded something for it but I can't find any news.

Fixed some bugs for nVidia users.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

... are also probably going to be on hold until game 2 or 3. My money is on them being the big hype drawcard for a future installment, along with maybe a proper underworld map layer to replace the current underway system. I guess they could be an underway-using horde faction who can attack cities from underway stance but that would be a pretty lame cop-out when they're supposed to have their whole under-empire thing going on. Surface cities wouldn't make much sense for them though and I can't think of any other way to represent them.

I dunno man, they're going to do something with Athel Loren and the Wood Elves, and I'd bet money they'll do a reskinned version of it with Skaven and that swamp surrounding Skavenblight and the bigger swamp down in the Badlands. Under-Empire may show up later but the current map is basically topside Skaven hunting grounds, just use those two impassable swamps and boom, there's your Skaven topside territory. Give them Underway stance like Dwarfs and Greenskins and you can hold off on adding an underground map forever.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So aside from killing the beastman dude in the End Times canonically, was there anything unique about Toddbringer?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dandywalken posted:

So aside from killing the beastman dude in the End Times canonically, was there anything unique about Toddbringer?

He's just an old elector count who's really good at fighting and hates the poo poo out of beastmen.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my man, you have no idea.

some unoffical tournies were even bigger assholes; you could get docked points if your opponent accused you of having an army that wasn't "lore friendly" or painted/modeled "correctly".

not points in some side contest, points in the actual "playing a series of games to find the best player" contest.

This isn't quite right.

'Fluffy' armies were a thing poo poo tier players used to gripe about but usually comp systems were designed because GW are wholly inadequate as rules writers and always have been. You either had 'hard' comp (which literally said 'your army book allows you to take 3 of these but don't bring more than 2 because that's not fun for anyone') or 'soft' comp which did stuff like what you're describing. Well-designed systems meant bad players with powerful armies suffered but good players would still win out overall.

Painting scores weren't about painting any particular way, just bothering to paint/model at all. The requirements were usually low-level technically, they just ensured people wouldn't show up with grey plastic poo poo.

Not universally true of course because plenty of TOs are groggy guys and just as bad at designing a system of rules as GW are (and often worse because of obvious personal bias!) but in the mainstream that was it.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
We've got our next set of rounds in.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1DJt7duuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZD3tHlDY-U

We'll be getting to our finals, I'll need our last set of 5 factions from our finalists.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Kaza42 posted:

Absolute garbage.

I think I'll only be playing it for a week or two before giving away my PC to a family member. Couldn't help myself.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not going to get the beastmen now, I'm going to wait until the hypecycle peaks.

Anyway, it seems to me a lot of the basic quality-of-life mods I'm using just aren't getting updated like they were in, say, Rome II. Anyone know what's up with that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Corrode posted:

This isn't quite right.

'Fluffy' armies were a thing poo poo tier players used to gripe about but usually comp systems were designed because GW are wholly inadequate as rules writers and always have been. You either had 'hard' comp (which literally said 'your army book allows you to take 3 of these but don't bring more than 2 because that's not fun for anyone') or 'soft' comp which did stuff like what you're describing. Well-designed systems meant bad players with powerful armies suffered but good players would still win out overall.

Painting scores weren't about painting any particular way, just bothering to paint/model at all. The requirements were usually low-level technically, they just ensured people wouldn't show up with grey plastic poo poo.

Not universally true of course because plenty of TOs are groggy guys and just as bad at designing a system of rules as GW are (and often worse because of obvious personal bias!) but in the mainstream that was it.

This table top discussion reminds me of the brilliant Tau versus White Scars image floating around.
http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i was thinking of one thing posted in the trad games thread where some guy got his army reviewed really badly by a guy he beat because the dude was sour about losing; they had a score sheet and everything about a lot of silly nonsense. there were also some stories about the sort of rule balancing that fan tournies would attempt, and they often were far too over conservative about preserving a particular meta / banning something some guy doesn't like for whatever reason / trying to enforce "lore" or silly things.

I rather agree with the argument put forward by the whole "Playing to Win" guidebook that its best to just play by the rules as written and try to avoid having to ban stuff when it starts winning since the meta can sort itself out a lot of times. The problem is in a game like WFB, there's other factors, like the fact adapting to a changing meta is prohibitively expensive and a lot of armies just get utterly hosed in an unbound competitive setting since Games Workshop prefers making stuff badly balanced and overly complex on principle, so there's quite a lot of just outright broken stuff lurking in the game. GW games also have the problem where a lot of player agency is frontloaded in the army design with the points build minmaxing: you can sit down at a table with your army and be outright hosed when the other guy places an army that just totally counters yours, and be forced to piddle though hours of dice rolling knowing you're not going to win unless your opponent loses for you. yet again, a lot of reliance on complexity, balance-by-randomness, and fiddly poo poo that results in people snapping things over their knees and creating a very stagnant, boring meta, necessitating players having to create house rules. which results in a lot of stupid poo poo since fans are not game designers.

thanks to these issues, you really wind up with a weird kind of toxic mindset among players where dudes will rant over people playing games and actually trying to win them ("Win At Any Cost" aka WAAC), and blaming each other for exploiting lovely design when its GW's contempt for design that results in this sort of nonsense.

it is all very silly. its also why i tend not to care when people complain that something in TWW doesn't function like it does in WFB, since it shows CA isn't stupid.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
17 euros for a new faction and an entire mini-campaign is right on par with all Rome and Attila mini campaign DLCs and seems reasonable?

How much should an entire new campaign be? 2 euros?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Arcsquad12 posted:

This table top discussion reminds me of the brilliant Tau versus White Scars image floating around.
http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

The result was real but the photo was staged. It's hilarious though and definitely an example of smart thinking in the moment. I think the Tau player even told the White Scars guy like "If you do that I'm going to do this and I'll auto-win" and the Russian was like "no that won't work" and then it did.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i was thinking of one thing posted in the trad games thread where some guy got his army reviewed really badly by a guy he beat because the dude was sour about losing; they had a score sheet and everything about a lot of silly nonsense. there were also some stories about the sort of rule balancing that fan tournies would attempt, and they often were far too over conservative about preserving a particular meta / banning something some guy doesn't like for whatever reason / trying to enforce "lore" or silly things.

I rather agree with the argument put forward by the whole "Playing to Win" guidebook that its best to just play by the rules as written and try to avoid having to ban stuff when it starts winning since the meta can sort itself out a lot of times. The problem is in a game like WFB, there's other factors, like the fact adapting to a changing meta is prohibitively expensive and a lot of armies just get utterly hosed in an unbound competitive setting since Games Workshop prefers making stuff badly balanced and overly complex on principle, so there's quite a lot of just outright broken stuff lurking in the game. GW games also have the problem where a lot of player agency is frontloaded in the army design with the points build minmaxing: you can sit down at a table with your army and be outright hosed when the other guy places an army that just totally counters yours, and be forced to piddle though hours of dice rolling knowing you're not going to win unless your opponent loses for you. yet again, a lot of reliance on complexity, balance-by-randomness, and fiddly poo poo that results in people snapping things over their knees and creating a very stagnant, boring meta, necessitating players having to create house rules. which results in a lot of stupid poo poo since fans are not game designers.

thanks to these issues, you really wind up with a weird kind of toxic mindset among players where dudes will rant over people playing games and actually trying to win them ("Win At Any Cost" aka WAAC), and blaming each other for exploiting lovely design when its GW's contempt for design that results in this sort of nonsense.

it is all very silly. its also why i tend not to care when people complain that something in TWW doesn't function like it does in WFB, since it shows CA isn't stupid.

Yeah there's totally been times where that's happened because people have designed bad systems. Ultimately there's going to be times where a local group runs something their way and it's obviously biased, either towards their mates or just their way of thinking about the game. I remember one tournament a local club ran where they banned all the "filth" armies of the day, so a guy brought the thing that was normally second-tier but was now top-tier because all the stuff that beat it was banned. They whinged about that, too.

What I always found was that the 40k community was really terrible about things - the two sides of "fluffy" and "power gamer" were way too vicious (mostly on the fluffy end) and opposed to each other, and comp ended up being designed badly because of it. Fantasy was a more mature game and although people had different opinions there was a general acceptance that some level of comp was necessary to round out the edges of GW's poorly thought through rules. Fantasy also required more houseruling because movement and stuff was more precise and mattered more, which made GW's loose approach to writing things problematic just for playing a functional game. My opinion has always been that until GW gives a poo poo about writing decent rules (never), light comp which aims to restrict the most unfun stuff is necessary to make the game playable. Now that Age of Sigmar has been shat out upon the world it doesn't matter because there's no point playing that poo poo anyway, so fans can get on and write a proper ruleset free of the need to adapt to whatever GW has done.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mans posted:

17 euros for a new faction and an entire mini-campaign is right on par with all Rome and Attila mini campaign DLCs and seems reasonable?

How much should an entire new campaign be? 2 euros?

CA said it themselves, adding in the cool units like the Jabberslythe and other huge monsters costs as much alone as entire DLC packs for previous games have in the past. Wouldn't they be better off saving up the big$$ factions for the later larger expansions and keep the game fresh by revamping existing neglected factions? For the money they spent making beastmen they could have given Brettonnia+Friends, Kislev, or a few interesting Empire minors fully fleshed out campaign starts, with unique lords, quests, events, diverse rosters, and new magic lores all while using 90% scavenged art assets like they did in Age of Charlemagne

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

CA said it themselves, adding in the cool units like the Jabberslythe and other huge monsters costs as much alone as entire DLC packs for previous games have in the past. Wouldn't they be better off saving up the big$$ factions for the later larger expansions and keep the game fresh by revamping existing neglected factions? For the money they spent making beastmen they could have given Brettonnia+Friends, Kislev, or a few interesting Empire minors fully fleshed out campaign starts, with unique lords, quests, events, diverse rosters, and new magic lores all while using 90% scavenged art assets like they did in Age of Charlemagne

they will most likely release constant faction and extra unit DLCs, my main questions is why are people against a 15 euro mini campaign when CA showed they are really good at making them (let's ignore wrath of sparta because that DLC was cealrly for the hoplite enthusiasts).

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
They're free to charge whatever they like, I am not saying they are a bad company for doing so. I hope they make gobs of money, and keep rolling out new content. I haven't bought a TW game at release in forever, and usually wait for an "ultimate edition" at huge discount to drop during a sale, play it for around a month, then forget about it.

I really don't care about mini-campaigns. I don't think I've ever replayed any, while I replay the grand campaign a good deal in most releases. I'd much prefer more of the wackier unbalanced crazy units on the field than running down this bringer of tods.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mans posted:

they will most likely release constant faction and extra unit DLCs, my main questions is why are people against a 15 euro mini campaign when CA showed they are really good at making them (let's ignore wrath of sparta because that DLC was cealrly for the hoplite enthusiasts).

For me it's less the price point and more than it just feels rushed. I love all the factions at release and they all have a lot of love put into how they play on the campaign and battle map scale (Chaos maybe the least but still head and shoulders above usual TW diversity overall) and unlike other TW games it feels like they actually worked on this game for years until it was polished and fleshed out way more than any other title at it's launch. And with all the things that were left on the cutting room floor I'm not at all optimistic about this dlc but I am hoping for the best. For the first time in years Creative Assembly actually substantially raised the bar for themselves and it would be sad to see them underperform now

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm holding off on it until they livestream it (IF they livestream it). That's what sold me on a preorder for the game: they were constantly on twitch just showing off the game, no tightly-controlled PR bullshit just straight up on twitch playing the game like normal nerds. If it crashed, then it crashed (and to my recollection that only happened once).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gonkish posted:

I'm holding off on it until they livestream it (IF they livestream it). That's what sold me on a preorder for the game: they were constantly on twitch just showing off the game, no tightly-controlled PR bullshit just straight up on twitch playing the game like normal nerds. If it crashed, then it crashed (and to my recollection that only happened once).

Same, I'm on the fence until I see the new content's stream.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gonkish posted:

They'll be livestreaming it a bunch, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

420 Gank Mid posted:

For me it's less the price point and more than it just feels rushed. I love all the factions at release and they all have a lot of love put into how they play on the campaign and battle map scale (Chaos maybe the least but still head and shoulders above usual TW diversity overall) and unlike other TW games it feels like they actually worked on this game for years until it was polished and fleshed out way more than any other title at it's launch. And with all the things that were left on the cutting room floor I'm not at all optimistic about this dlc but I am hoping for the best. For the first time in years Creative Assembly actually substantially raised the bar for themselves and it would be sad to see them underperform now

why do you think it feels rushed? we know from blogs/intervies that CA has multiple teams working all kinds of stuff such as future DLCs and even the next "main" games already. Its not like they started putting this pack together the day after the main game came out. New content 2 months after release seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Locked thread