Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah. Shame Erdogan doesn't purge the nationalist assholes though, Gulen is actually quite a cool guy

Not that cool. His rise to power was tied to Evren's post-1980 "nationalist Islam" project that sought to combat materialist secularism he blamed for the spread of communism by elevating a state controlled sunni Islam to as close to you can get to a state religion in Turkey, Gulen lost favour and fled only after the 97 coup that reinstated a more hostile approach to religion and moved to pull back from some of Evren's ideas.

A lot of the stuff on neighbourliness, service to the community, tithes for public works and the inherent righteousness of financial success are all part if a quasi-nationalist doctrine - the Hizmet and the Kurds for example do not have a stellar history and they aggressively opposed the peace talks with the pkk (before they collapsed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah. Shame Erdogan doesn't purge the nationalist assholes though, Gulen is actually quite a cool guy

Its probably because Erdogan is a Nationalist rear end in a top hat.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tei posted:

Is this the real world?
Can somebody like Erdogan use this to shutdown completely different people to the one really did it?

It's kinda how PKK is responsible for all terrorist attacks, even when done by enemies of PKK

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
what is even happening lmbo if that US base story is true

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Its probably because Erdogan is a Nationalist rear end in a top hat.

Honestly, the big powers in Turkish politics all come off as some flavor of nationalistic rear end in a top hat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nice job coup plotters, you just gave the quasi-dictator you were hoping to dethrone carte blanche to become a real dictator.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/754312742455115776

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

#BREAKING The white house has convened a national security meeting. #Turkish President has said #Turkey is not a friend to US

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWS/status/754318934157828097

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Civil war time.
https://twitter.com/aylajean/status/754304217070837761

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Holy gently caress Erdogan's going to do more damage himself than the coup did

Constant Hamprince posted:

Watch Erdogan start a loving war.

(Joking, I hope)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

How is this any different from how the DHKP-C act most of the time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So what are the chances that this whole crazy overreaching crackdown leads to a bigger, more competent coup?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is he really loving with our nuclear arsenal?!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Holy gently caress Erdogan's going to do more damage himself than the coup did

I was anticipating this, but I was expecting this to happen over the course of weeks/months and not, you know, before lunch. I'm pretty sure the coup didn't even start 2 hours ago.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
In other depressing news. Pakistan social media star Qandeel Baloch has been strangled to death by her brother for "shaming the family".

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSKCN0ZW0JL

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

#BREAKING The white house has convened a national security meeting. #Turkish President has said #Turkey is not a friend to US

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWS/status/754318934157828097

WTF. Is there any evidence that the U.S. had any hand in this? Does Erdogan plan on just flipping his loyalty to Russia now; leaving NATO, severing all ties with Europe and the West? Does he want to force the U.S. and NATO to establish an independent Kurdistan and then back it with arms and air support? I think the U.S. might certainly be willing to accommodate him on that last one without much prodding.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

Is he really loving with our nuclear arsenal?!

That's not something that would backfire at all!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Erdogan think Gulen was behind this, a lot of people in Turkey think Gulen is in deep with the CIA therefore a Gulenist coup must have had CIA support or foreknowledge

It's pretty simple reasoning

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Please stop panicking over Incirlik.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Constant Hamprince posted:

Watch Erdogan start a loving war.

(Joking, I hope)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He's probably pushing for extradition what with Gulen's group (or more accurately the catch all FETO label used for any Gulen supporter) being officially designated a terrorist organisation in Turkey earlier this year

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If he tries to take the nukes in the base the USA would invoke article 5 of the NATO treaty and he'd be at war with all of NATO. Barring an offer of protection from Russia he would lose easily. Russia is unlikely to risk nuclear war over Turkey.

I don't expect anyone will mess with the nukes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

farraday posted:

Please stop panicking over Incirlik.

I would love too! Why should I not panic though?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

Because he's probably not stupid enough to actually do anything to gently caress with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VanSandman posted:

Because there's no way in hell Erdogan is stupid enough to mess with the nukes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you have to say "probably not stupid enough" in a situation involving nuclear weapons, that's a good indicator you should be at least slightly worried.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pakled posted:

Because there's no way in hell Erdogan is stupid enough to mess with the nukes.

Even if he doesn't try to seize the nukes he could demand the US vacate the base. What is the legal basis of Incirlik, a normal status of forces agreement with Turkey?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

fknlo posted:

Because he's probably not stupid enough to actually do anything to gently caress with it.

Gonna need something more concrete than that. I like living.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Isn't this just to prevent any coup organizers from getting into the base and request asylum ?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

fknlo posted:

He's on a complete and total power bender now, and has declared the US to "not be a friend of Turkey" and has cut the power and closed the airspace over the base.

If he's not stupid enough, he's one brainfart away from it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

VanSandman posted:

icantfindaname posted:

Even if he doesn't try to seize the nukes he could demand the US vacate the base. What is the legal basis of Incirlik, a normal status of forces agreement with Turkey?

Turkey owns Incirlik, it is not being leased to the US or NATO but is used as a NATO facility with Turkish permission thanks to a variety of agreements.

Accordingly Incirlik is a TURKISH AIRBASE which has a standing Turkish military presence in a country where elements of the military just attempted a coup. Incirlik is therefore one of many Turkish bases which are being isolated until central control can be firmly reestablished.

Let me sketch out the conversation going on
Turkey: Alright shut it down
US: WTF dude we we're using that.
Turkey: Hey dude we're having a bit of a coup at the moment and random jets airplanes flying around are not acceptable.
US: Ok but we had an agreement and we were totally bombing dudes who just blew up your airport, remember.
Turkey: No need to be a dick about it.

For a quick academic paper on the status of Incirlik see here
http://www.academia.edu/4485712/The_Politics_of_Incirlik_Air_Base

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Isn't this just to prevent any coup organizers from getting into the base and request asylum ?

No. There would be no need to install a no fly zone over the base and cut power if that were the case.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thanks that helps.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I tell you what though I could be wrong. If Erdogan's stormtroopers over run the base to steal the nukes for the glorious jihad against the unbelievers, I'll buy anyone who wants it Plat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Supposedly, we store 90 B61s at Incirlik, with 40 of those assigned for use by the Turkish Air Force.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I have a close friend stationed at that base and yesterday everyone told me to relax and not to worry because Turkey wouldn't dare gently caress with it. At what point do I start worrying?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

So I have a close friend stationed at that base and yesterday everyone told me to relax and not to worry because Turkey wouldn't dare gently caress with it. At what point do I start worrying?

If DEFCON gets raised you should worry.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
flipping from nato/us to russia would be such a hilariously stupid thing to do and i would die laughing as mad gets triggered and nuclear hellfire rains down ahead of schedule

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Can you still reach them? If you can't, then start worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Is he trying to force Gulen's extradition in exchange for continued US access to Incirlik?

• Locked thread