Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kild posted:

Aizen is basically Kaguya. You had the established big bad Byakuya and then suddenly its Aizen that did everything wtf?
The difference is that the Aizen reveal was loving cool, had some forshadowing, and made a lot of sense in retrospective. Plus the character had been introduced long ago, he didn't pop out of nowhere, he just turned out to be the mastermind. I think he even tricked everyone into thinking he died? Yeah the Aizen reveal was honestly peak Bleach and was the total opposite of Kaguya in terms of quality of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah in retrospect all of Bleach was really just Aizen breaking his glasses and slicking his hair back. That's why we're all here.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Looking back the Ishida vs Hashbrowns "duel", you know you've hosed up your shounen fighting manga if the first couple Final Fantasy games curbstomp you in terms of fight choreography.

And call me crazy, but I think Orihime might finally get her 15 panels of fame. If anyone can bring this mess to an early end, it's Deux Ex Boobies.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People always say the villains of Bleach "troll" or whatever. But actually they're not trolling and are just bad and boring.

If your power is "I can do whatever because I said so", then you are a troll.

Serious Frolicking posted:

there is nothing wrong with a bunch of sword dudes fighting a bunch of bow dudes in theory. in practice, bows were completely identical to swords because there is no sense of distance or space in kubo's fights.

Bows are so last story arc.

Though it would've been need to have a Sternritter that was just a ridiculously powerful bow user, who parried enemy swords by shooting them at point-blank range or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a better work, ywach's enormous amount of poo poo-talking and contradictory bragging would be how he masks the weaknesses in his ability. he would just keep lying again and again, adding or changing details each time in order to keep his opponents from figuring out how to beat him. in bleach, ywach contradicts himself because kubo doesn't really know or care how his power is supposed to work. he just likes making chapters where people make big dramatic declarations which shock ichigo.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
The world is begging for a shounen parody whose villain trolls people by making stuff up about how is powers are supposed to work. A bit like how Urahara trolled Ichigo during his training session, except even more dickish.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

You're just making me miss Gin.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Sue posted:

You're just making me miss Gin.

Don't worry. We are all carrying this hole in our hearts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gin was spared the current stupidity. if he had survived he would have just ended up fighting g "the goatse" who consumed enemies with his distended anus.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

gin was spared the current stupidity. if he had survived he would have just ended up fighting g "the goatse" who consumed enemies with his distended anus.

But enough about your fetishes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like to talk a bit about my fetishes.

My fetish is a well-planned out shounen manga with little to no plot stupidity and great fights.

And before you tell me about HxH, my fetish is also having no year-long hiatuses.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
tht was my favorite thing about bleach. all the powers are exactly the same but theyre all beewildered by the the literally nonexistent differences. ichigo shoots beams for ages then does a "cero" and theyre like...nooo that can't be cero what the helll..

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I think Tom Hiddleston would make a great Aizen

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I miss the days when I thought Inuyasha went on too long. But it lasted less than 560 chapters and the main villain remained the main villain until the end. Oh well, I guess I shall suffer the sunk cost fallacy of Bleach until the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

My fetish is a well-planned out shounen manga with little to no plot stupidity and great fights.

And before you tell me about HxH, my fetish is also having no year-long hiatuses.

Try My Hero Academia, maybe?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Catgirls. Catgirls all the way.

(And no, Bleach doesn't count because the only catgirl instance is an electric Darkstalkers ripoff)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kirk johnson is a cultural icon and there is nothing sexual about admiring his (gaping red) legacy

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hero academia

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jesse James posted:

Man. I remember when bleach was great. Remember pluses? Cause I do. A plus is a soul that exists in the real world. That was cool. Remember the Espada and how they were basically the an thesis of the real world and soul society and their numbers counted down to the most powerful? I thought that was cool too. Remember when butterfliazen, I'm sorry; Tite Kubo completely ran his narrative into the ground?? I was there for "Decide."

With 3 issues left I have never been so excited for this painful existence to end. I used to love this manga, now I can't wait to finally bury it.
I remember really liking it decades, nay, eras ago. At what point does it go to poo poo, basically the second Aizen dies? Thinking of doing re-reads of Naruto and Bleach up to the moment they plunged into the abyss and no further.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wakfu

Those hiatuses only last like several months

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Pierson posted:

I remember really liking it decades, nay, eras ago. At what point does it go to poo poo, basically the second Aizen dies? Thinking of doing re-reads of Naruto and Bleach up to the moment they plunged into the abyss and no further.

I think it technically dooms itself the moment Byakuya and Renji show their ugly mugs.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

Well, at the very least you'll only have to read about 20 chapters of Naruto.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

chumbler posted:

Bleach is really just an allegory about racism.

Which is to say, it is about how the Japanese are superior to all other races.

Except the Germans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ah yes. Haikyuu is pretty good. I agree.

Edit:

Pierson posted:

A couple of years before Aizen died honestly. At the time him dying was a relief and created the hope that maybe the manga could get better. Which unfortunately didn't happen.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A couple of years before Aizen died honestly. At the time him dying was a relief and created the hope that maybe the manga could get better. Which unfortunately didn't happen.

How could Aizen dying create hope the manga would get better when it was supposed to be over at that point? There's no way anything after Aizen losing could be better than deicide. Maybe some closure, but two more drawn out arcs could never be good. We knew what we were getting into.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
deicide was very bad, but it isn't completely impossible to think that kubo might turn it around afterward. sometimes writers do improve, you know. i mean he obviously did not, and the manga just got worse and worse until we got ultimate handwaving powers.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Voted Worst Mom posted:

How could Aizen dying create hope the manga would get better when it was supposed to be over at that point? There's no way anything after Aizen losing could be better than deicide. Maybe some closure, but two more drawn out arcs could never be good. We knew what we were getting into.

Actually, no. We didn't.

Aizen's arc ended with him shouting some ominent poo poo about the Soul King. I was totally expecting the final arc to be about the Soul King and Soul Society being the true Bigger Bads, and for a brief moment during the Fullbringer arc it looked like we were heading down that direction. But no, Kubo would never do that to Soul Society. It's where his beloved Byakuya, Toshiro and Kenchan live.

Instead we got loving Quincies out of nowhere.

And even for a while it looked as if Kubo was doing his best to improve by having fights with consequences. But then Byakuya got better after what were clearly his parting words, and only Captain Genocide died, who by the point of the Fake Karakura + Deicide arc had descended into whiny bitch territory completely washing out any sense of badass leftover from his Soul Society arc days that nobody cared that he died.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 17, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If the final arc had been about hell instead of the quincies and was not different in any way, it would be bad but still significantly better than what we got. It would also give a fair bit more motivation for the arrancar to team up with the shinigami.

The gate to hell is totally going to appear and start opening in the final chapter, and we will not be free but enslaved to Bleach 2 because this isn't cancellation, it's the editors telling Kubo to hurry things the gently caress up.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

chumbler posted:

The gate to hell is totally going to appear and start opening in the final chapter, and we will not be free but enslaved to Bleach 2 because this isn't cancellation, it's the editors telling Kubo to hurry things the gently caress up.

As masochist as it may sound, I am all up for it. Just have somebody else write it while Kubo supervises (and immediately ignore Kubo's suggestions).

There have been a lot of mangas that were later picked up by another writer who used the lore and concept in much better ways resulting in a product better than the original. Off the top of my head, you have Saint Seiya Lost Canvas.

Of course, on the other side of the chart you have Soul Eater NOT!, but what's life without a gamble?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kinda stopped following Soul Eater NOT! but it seemed fine from what I saw. Certainly couldn't have had a worse ending than Soul Eater's wet fart.

And yeah, I will shamefully admit that I wouldn't mind shinigami and arrancar vs hell, provided it had competent writing and pacing. Kubo can still do good art and character design (Aizen-face aside), he's just awful at everything else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

If the final arc had been about hell instead of the quincies and was not different in any way, it would be bad but still significantly better than what we got. It would also give a fair bit more motivation for the arrancar to team up with the shinigami.

If this arc was literally exactly the same except with villains from hell instead of Quincys it would still be just as bad. Because the fact that the villains are Quincies is not one of the bad parts about this arc.

Just changing the name of the villains and their origin story wouldn't make anything better if it's still written as badly.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They should've been Quincies that escaped from Hell instead of being a ton of Quincies that escaped the genocide by hiding in Soul Society's shadow or whatever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I kind of liked the Deicide arc. I was mostly entertained, at least. Series should have ended with Aizen's defeat, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm still not entirely clear on if the quincies are quincy ghosts or living humans.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think kubo feels remorse

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's gonna be so funny when Bleach doesn't actually end with this next volume.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It's gonna be so funny when Bleach doesn't actually end with this next volume.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-13/shonen-jump-sasaki-bleach-manga-will-end-in-less-than-10-weeks/.104273

Hisashi Sasaki, Vice President for Global Shonen Jump posted:

Tite Kubo will end his Bleach manga in less than 10 weeks. Volume 74 will be the final one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
b..but a guy on reddit said it wasn't ending!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If it isn't ending, it sure as hell is looking like it is as it has briskly closed like 3 plot threads in one or so issues when it normally would do that in 34 issues.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

If bleach wasn't ending this would have been a double page spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Aizen getting up from his chair would have been 4 pages long and various close up shots of his butt rising up.

• Locked thread