Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Overkill being two words still annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

symbolic posted:

Razor not being listed annoys me.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm about to see Dragged into Sunlight and I am excited about it!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

apokaladle posted:

I'm about to see Dragged into Sunlight and I am excited about it!

They're going to haul out a massive candleabra with a skull hanging from it that takes several men to carry, light candles on it, turn the lights out, and you will bathe in only the light of sixteen loving iPhone screens right in front of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

symbolic posted:

I think that's probably the fault of the wikipedia dude who put the chart on there rather than the documentary.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Copied and pasted from the black metal thread because I'm an idiot:

Hay guys

I've not listened to any new metal for about ten years. I think the last album I bought was Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower. So it's been loving ages, anyway!

Would any of you be so good to recommend me a handful of the best metal albums of the last decade (I'm sure there's a lot to choose from).

My metal tastes are pretty all-encompassing, but I don't really like power metal, or operatic symphonic stuff or any of the fruitier prog metal - I can only just stomach Dream Theater, and even then with a sense of shame.

Sincere appreciation in advance for any assistance you all can give!

p.s. currently listening to 'Back to Times of Splendour' by Disillusion, and I've loved that record since it came out - although I heard they went kind of lovely after that, which is a shame...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Hay guys

I've not listened to any new metal for about ten years. I think the last album I bought was Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower. So it's been loving ages, anyway!

Would any of you be so good to recommend me a handful of the best metal albums of the last decade (I'm sure there's a lot to choose from).

My metal tastes are pretty all-encompassing, but I don't really like power metal, or operatic symphonic stuff or any of the fruitier prog metal - I can only just stomach Dream Theater, and even then with a sense of shame.

p.s. currently listening to 'Back to Times of Splendour' by Disillusion, and I've loved that record since it came out - although I heard they went kind of lovely after that, which is a shame...

Reverse chronological order:
Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crepuscule
Cobalt - Slow Forever
Vektor - Terminal Redux
High On Fire - Luminiferous
Gridlink - Longhena
Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire
Gorguts - Colored Sands
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Sonne Adam - Transformation
Cormorant - Dwellings
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Absu - Absu
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom (warning: super racist)
Intronaut - Prehistoricisms
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Warning - Watching From a Distance

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Hay guys

Henchman of Santa's list is really good and accurate.

Check out:

Mgla - Exercises In Futility
Tribulation - The Children of the Night
In Solitude - Sister
Misery Index - The Killing Gods
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Diocletian - Gesundrian
Noisem - Agony Defined
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dick Boat posted:

Misery Index - The Killing Gods

This album loving rules. I'll also add Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall to the list.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
You need to listen to The Horror by Tribulation if you ever enjoyed stockholm death metal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hay guys

Vader

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Hay guys

This is probably pretty close to my top 15, in order, LPs only:

1. Gorguts - Colored Sands
2. Ulcerate - Vermis
3. Children - Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World
4. Mgla - Exercises in Futility
5. Abyssal - Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius
6. Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcorum
7. Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
8. Vektor - Terminal Redux
9. Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole
10. Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
11. Vektor - Outer Isolation
12. Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
13. Morbus Chron - Sweven
14. Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis
15. Teitanblood - Death

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: A Dialogue With the Stars

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hay guys

Insect Warfare - World Extermination
Lost Society - Fast Loud Death Lost Society (Long overdue edit)
Running Death - Overdrive
Pentagram - Curious Volume
Skull Fist - Chasing the Dream
Suicidal Angels - Division of Blood
Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

Also seconding Colors and Terminal Redux.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 17, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Hay guys

keep listening to bolt thrower

there are no other worthwhile bands

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw Carcass and Deafheaven do an after show following that awful looking Open Air festival and holy poo poo it was fun seeing Carcass up close. Last time I was toward the back of a big music hall. Incarnated Solvent Abuse was totally berserk.

My only issue is that their setlist since reforming has basically been stagnant. I would kill to see them pull out Inpropagation or Lavaging Expectorate.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just saw Carcass and Deafheaven do an after show following that awful looking Open Air festival and holy poo poo it was fun seeing Carcass up close. Last time I was toward the back of a big music hall. Incarnated Solvent Abuse was totally berserk.

My only issue is that their setlist since reforming has basically been stagnant. I would kill to see them pull out Inpropagation or Lavaging Expectorate.

Have they even stopped touring for more than a month or two since reforming? It really seems like they're always on the road, which I definitely have to respect, even if I don't like their later or newest material.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Have they even stopped touring for more than a month or two since reforming? It really seems like they're always on the road, which I definitely have to respect, even if I don't like their later or newest material.

Well they were opening for Slayer this past spring, have a tour with Crowbar that is about to start, and Jeff let it slip that they're touring in November with Deafheaven so...no, they really haven't. And they're constantly in the U.S.!

They said it was the sixth time playing Chicago since Surgical Steel.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 17, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
hey, you know whats cool?

its these guys https://wanderersteel.bandcamp.com/album/will-of-steel-demo

These guys are kinda cool too, if you're into occult french-canadian sort of 70s metal sung in french https://cauchemar.bandcamp.com/

The real cool treat is these guys though https://fleshcult888.bandcamp.com blackened thrash/speed metal from Serbia.

And if you want to max out your underground cred score, trot out these guys https://hellionight.bandcamp.com angry thrash metal from Bahrain. As their bandcamp site says: Hellionight was formed to be a giant middle finger in the face of Bahrain's music scene. It is deadly, brutal, and so fast, your ears may bleed out your melted brain. Listen at your own risk if you dare.

I loving love bandcamp sometimes. You can find the coolest stuff and pretend to support the artists directly (please don't ruin my day by telling me how big of a cut bandcamp takes).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bandcamp actually doesn't take that much. It's a really nice resource.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

MrBling posted:

I loving love bandcamp sometimes. You can find the coolest stuff and pretend to support the artists directly (please don't ruin my day by telling me how big of a cut bandcamp takes).

Bandcamp rules, anything ive lost through fees has been more than made up for by the benefits being a source to stream and of people wandering onto our bandcamp and buying stuff through other peoples buy lists etc

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VOqfl3cu6o

Papa Emeritus sang with Candlemass. Pretty good vocals, doesn't even sound like him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hay guys

If you like the more ambient side of things, have a few things I highly recommend. Years Past Matter from Krallice], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LGi4BQQZs]III from Spectral Lore, and anything from Mare Cognitum. Look through I, Voidhanger's collection as there's some weird rear end black metal on there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://neckofthewoods.bandcamp.com/ these guys are good

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dang

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jari from Wintersun just posted on Facebook: "It is done"

...maybe he got more RAM?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

H13 posted:

Jari from Wintersun just posted on Facebook: "It is done"

...maybe he got more RAM?

If its loving done this truly is the end of days. Hail Satan.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

He finally got 6-way SLI working on his production rig with all those 560 Ti GPUs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nah he's just weighing in on the Kim and Taylor beef

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Shame because Wintersun isn't that good imo.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

TheSteelCurtain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VOqfl3cu6o

Papa Emeritus sang with Candlemass. Pretty good vocals, doesn't even sound like him.

Wow, this is really good. I thought he had recently blown his voice out or something. I'm ready to hear Papa do a whole album with Candlemass now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

To Battle posted:

They have some good parts in their songs, the problem is Jari makes 15 minute songs and thinks it's being "progressive". If the songs were cut down into more concise pieces, the music would be a bit better.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^Wintersun has never released a fifteen minute song that I know of, even on Time I which is poo poo

To Battle posted:

The first Wintersun album is really solid, it's catchier, poppier take on a lot of what Ensiferum had been doing up to that point. There's no song on it which I would say is bad. Time is a scam though.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 18, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think what I was trying to get at is that some Wintersun songs sound like an eternity has passed before they finish. Or maybe it's my fragile human brain trying to process 128 orchestral tracks at once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I think what I was trying to get at is that some Wintersun songs sound like an eternity has passed before they finish. Or maybe it's my fragile human brain trying to process 128 orchestral tracks at once.

Yeah but that's only applicable to Time and not the s/t.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Time was also the Duke Nukem Forever of heavy metal. Land of Snow and Sorrow was a pretty good track though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah, I agree. Self-titled is really awesome, each track is great and has its own flavour. Sure, there are a lot of synths and stuff but it's all solid and has some fantastic drumming to boot.

Time I, i'm not a fan of really. It just seems to be bloated, without as many hooks.

Love that solo in Winter Madness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ziAsMTs9sg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked Time but it certainly didn't have anything comparable to like, Winter Madness.