Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

By the "clash of civilizations" theory, hasn't the West already killed many, many more Muslims than the latter has killed in terror attacks against the West?

In response to a bunch of Saudis from Afghanistan killing a hair under 3,000 Americans we've killed, at the most conservative estimate you'll find, 180,000 Iraqis (more realistically the number is probably at least a million) and caused the displacement of nearly 4,000,000. (Of course, just by going to war, we've gotten 6,000 Americans killed, and probably ten times that amount injured, probably for life, to get back at Muslims killing 3,000.)

According to the incredibly biased website the religion of peace.org, excluding 9/11, Muslim extremists have killed less than 200 Americans since 1972. (Cynical contrast: According to the signs on Interstate 71 south of Cleveland, Ohio, over 1,000 god fearing Muricans are on track to kill themselves or each other in their cars on Ohio interstates this year.)

I don't know the right answer to retaliation for terrorist attacks, or if there ever can be one, but we already have ample proof that indiscriminate killing in response to terrorism doesn't remotely work or serve our "cause" in any way. And that yes, if this blogger's douchey theory is supposed to hold true, Muslims have ample cause to murder us in kind. (See also, the Hundred Years War, the Eighty Years War, the Thirty Year War, Europe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If I were generous I'd say that you can't compare the raw numbers since a terrorist attack is particularly special because they are designed to be, well, terrifying, and as visible as possible. 9/11 was such a... uh... "good"? act of terrorism not because 3000 people died but because 3000 people died on live TV in the world's richest city in two giant american phallic idols to capitalism. Obviously that doesn't justify retaliatory killing any more than any other murder does, but we didn't go and murder two orders of magnitude more arabs only due to them killing people.

But I'm not generous, so I'm going to point out that the real reason is because the west's collective subconscious exchange rate has white upper-middle class souls easily valued at 100+ arab souls each, so to garner the same news and culture reaction as one nameless upper middle class white guy murder you have to kill at least 100 arabs.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Joshmo posted:

According to the incredibly biased website the religion of peace.org, excluding 9/11, Muslim extremists have killed less than 200 Americans since 1972. (Cynical contrast: According to the signs on Interstate 71 south of Cleveland, Ohio, over 1,000 god fearing Muricans are on track to kill themselves or each other in their cars on Ohio interstates this year.)
Likewise, 9/11 aside, right-wing American terrorists have killed more Americans than Muslims since 2001, 45 to 48. Clearly, Mister Edgy advocates purging everybody right of Al Gore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

Likewise, 9/11 aside, right-wing American terrorists have killed more Americans than Muslims since 2001, 45 to 48. Clearly, Mister Edgy advocates purging everybody right of Al Gore.

To be fair that was published before Orlando more than doubled the number.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

If I were generous I'd say that you can't compare the raw numbers since a terrorist attack is particularly special because they are designed to be, well, terrifying, and as visible as possible. 9/11 was such a... uh... "good"? act of terrorism not because 3000 people died but because 3000 people died on live TV in the world's richest city in two giant american phallic idols to capitalism. Obviously that doesn't justify retaliatory killing any more than any other murder does, but we didn't go and murder two orders of magnitude more arabs only due to them killing people.

But I'm not generous, so I'm going to point out that the real reason is because the west's collective subconscious exchange rate has white upper-middle class souls easily valued at 100+ arab souls each, so to garner the same news and culture reaction as one nameless upper middle class white guy murder you have to kill at least 100 arabs.

The Iraq War and the Afghanistan Wars are collectively responsible for (conservatively) 800,000 deaths. I'd say that Americans are winning on the whole k/d ratio thing, even ignoring the fact that most of the deaths came at the hands of another Arab/Pashtun.

The problem with killing indiscriminately to solve your problems is that what you're basically advocating is genocide. Which makes Mr.Mean-Virgin an actual neo-nazi and not alt-right.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

If I were generous I'd say that you can't compare the raw numbers since a terrorist attack is particularly special because they are designed to be, well, terrifying, and as visible as possible. 9/11 was such a... uh... "good"? act of terrorism not because 3000 people died but because 3000 people died on live TV in the world's richest city in two giant american phallic idols to capitalism.

The word you're looking for is effective

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

To be fair that was published before Orlando more than doubled the number.

To be fair, that man was a right wing American Muslim so I'm not sure it really throws off either number.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A White Guy posted:

The Iraq War and the Afghanistan Wars are collectively responsible for (conservatively) 800,000 deaths. I'd say that Americans are winning on the whole k/d ratio thing, even ignoring the fact that most of the deaths came at the hands of another Arab/Pashtun.

The problem with killing indiscriminately to solve your problems is that what you're basically advocating is genocide. Which makes Mr.Mean-Virgin an actual neo-nazi and not alt-right.

I think the person he really wants to die is himself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

I think the person he really wants to die is himself.

Without a doubt. Elsewhere he talks about his firm belief that he will be tortured by evil god for eternity in the afterlife regardless of what he does, and I'd feel bad for him if he wasn't such an irredeemable prat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

The word you're looking for is effective

I guess, but in my opinion 9/11 was a bit more than that - it was almost the platonic ideal of a modern terrorist attack, the terrorist attack that all other terrorist attacks want to be when they grow up

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

eschaton posted:

Someone decided to train a neural network on HPMOR and judging by the headache I get trying to read it, the results are pretty close to what Yudkowsky originally wrote.

quote:

Dumbledore's wings suddenly jumped across the table.

That line alone was with the price of admission.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Joshmo posted:

I don't know the right answer to retaliation for terrorist attacks, or if there ever can be one, but we already have ample proof that indiscriminate killing in response to terrorism doesn't remotely work or serve our "cause" in any way.
It's not just that it "doesn't work," it's exactly the thing the terrorist attacks are trying to achieve. Does anyone think that Osama bin-Laden wasn't thrilled to pieces to learn we were sending troops to Afghanistan, and better yet, Iraq?

The thing about retaliating against Islamic terrorists is that if you kill the terrorists, you make them martyrs, and if you kill civilians, you make all their friends and neighbors and relatives hate you. You just can't win.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

pookel posted:

It's not just that it "doesn't work," it's exactly the thing the terrorist attacks are trying to achieve. Does anyone think that Osama bin-Laden wasn't thrilled to pieces to learn we were sending troops to Afghanistan, and better yet, Iraq?

The thing about retaliating against Islamic terrorists is that if you kill the terrorists, you make them martyrs, and if you kill civilians, you make all their friends and neighbors and relatives hate you. You just can't win.

Terrorism is a tactic. It's a method of achieving a goal. You can't go to war against terrorism any more than you can go to war against, say, vehicles, or espionage, or uniforms. There is no "the terrorists," there are just people and groups who are willing to use terrorism as a method of achieving their ends.

Every people group on the planet makes martyrs out of those killed for its causes. It's not special to "the terrorists." And remember that terrorism is not something that is even opposed universally. America's response to a massively successful act of terrorism was an official military strategy called Shock and Awe, which, like "terror", are both words that are synonymous with "fear." Psychological warfare through highly visible, dramatic violence is not something that can be stopped by visibly and dramatically violencing the perpetrators and planners to death in response.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

How many of these images are actually done by people from Sweden?
I have no doubt that there are a lot of crazy bigots in Sweden (like that juiced youtuber that was in some Hbomb videos), but it is overwhelmingly english speakers (of dubious ethnic ancestry) that are very concerned about racial purity and testosterone levels of nordic people.

One of the key points in all this is that Europe is still overwhelmingly white and that's paradoxically what helps the "We're being overrun!" mentality fester. There aren't enough of the hated minority for them to actually be a power bloc so politicians can demonize them for easy gains among their base without risking anything. Similarly the GOP has been able to rely on dog-whistle hatred of blacks to rule their base because the African American minority hasn't grown a lot in the last few decades- but the Latino minority has and that HAS hurt them because they keep harping on "illegals" and even US-born Latin Americans are turned off by it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of the key points in all this is that Europe is still overwhelmingly white and that's paradoxically what helps the "We're being overrun!" mentality fester. There aren't enough of the hated minority for them to actually be a power bloc so politicians can demonize them for easy gains among their base without risking anything. Similarly the GOP has been able to rely on dog-whistle hatred of blacks to rule their base because the African American minority hasn't grown a lot in the last few decades- but the Latino minority has and that HAS hurt them because they keep harping on "illegals" and even US-born Latin Americans are turned off by it.

If you really want to see the whole 'We're being overrun!' mentality play out, post out American immigration on the /r/worldnews subreddit or even weirdly, the /r/syriancivilwar reddit. Instantaneous response from Europeans proclaiming that migrants are here to destroy their cultural identity, ruin their laws, force them to speak arabic, basically all the same tired rhetoric that you hear from Republicans. I'm not entirely sure it is actual Europeans, though. Reddit's really beginning to become popular with white nationalists and neo-nazis, these days.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

American white nationalists make more evil sense than the European nationalists, in that one big genocidal white empire is much stronger than a bunch of lovely little fascist nation-states. They scream and rail against foreigners existing while destroying the institutions that give them leverage against the rest of the world.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

American white nationalists make more evil sense than the European nationalists, in that one big genocidal white empire is much stronger than a bunch of lovely little fascist nation-states. They scream and rail against foreigners existing while destroying the institutions that give them leverage against the rest of the world.

The Brexit vote is a good example of this- a lot of the supporters of Leave still seem to think they can negotiate favorable trade deals from an institution they just told to go gently caress themselves because Britain is just that important.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Milo once again reminding us we should def. take him seriously

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/753828087318532096

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What's more embarrassing, talking like an anime character all the time or looking like an anime character all the time?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yiannopoulos blaming social justice for Yung Lean being in a Calvin Klein ad is probably the funniest thing to happen this month.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

What's more embarrassing, talking like an anime character all the time or looking like an anime character all the time?

And of all the anime characters he could look like, he most resembles that pretty boy general dude from the Red Ribbon Army in Dragon Ball who accomplished nothing but getting his poo poo wrecked.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't wait for Milo to unveil the new official band of the alt-right:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Woolie Wool posted:

And of all the anime characters he could look like, he most resembles that pretty boy general dude from the Red Ribbon Army in Dragon Ball who accomplished nothing but getting his poo poo wrecked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbcnusKbzWk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tesseraction posted:

he looks like Virgil from the meh DMC reeboot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
He looks like the Harkonnen that all the others pick on.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

This picture makes him look about four foot eleven. Wonder if he really ticked off the photographer.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

spite house posted:

This picture makes him look about four foot eleven. Wonder if he really ticked off the photographer.

Our rulers’ position is now clear. We should learn to live with terrorism. Unlimited immigration will continue, and it is unthinkable and morally abhorrent to object to anyone in the world moving to America and living on crime, welfare, and voting left. The continued existence of borders and citizenship in a world dominated by progressive ideology is an unprincipled exception. Open-borders absolutists are perfectly correct that there is no coherent way to argue that racial discrimination or hereditary aristocracy are unjust without also concluding that anything short of completely open borders is equally unacceptable. The logic is inescapable.

Thus, if a black criminal is killed by police and it less than perfectly clear that the killing was justified, his picture is all over the news, whereas if a Muslim kills a child, we never see the child.

Well then, what will it take to stop terrorism? Truck control?

Notice that despite extremely strong gun control in France the terrorist (who entered as a refugee) had a fine collection of weapons in his truck. Not only is it hard to stop individual criminals from getting guns, it is considerably harder to stop large organized groups from getting guns.

Recall that Saddam allowed his people to own full auto weapons. Since he could not stop his enemies from getting full auto weapons, he had little choice but to allow his loyal, or at least not actively rebellious, subjects full auto weapons. If Frenchmen were allowed to own and carry full auto weapons as Saddam’s people were, the truck incident would likely have had a different outcome. But it would still have been pretty nasty.

But of course we don’t want a state like Saddam’s, where civil war is barely held in check by state terror. (Though it would be an improvement on today’s Iraq, where civil war is not held in check.) Nor Mindanao, where civil war is held in check by the threat of state terror, by state terror recently past, and the imminent likelihood of more to come. We want a peaceful high trust society. And to do that, have to remove the Muslims. Dump them on the shores of Africa.

Very few Muslims are inclined to blow themselves up in a pizza parlor. But every single Muslim, including the moderate friendly nice Muslim next door who would never dream of exploding in a pizza parlor, supports and sustains a society where the man who blows himself up in a pizza parlor is holier than you are, where the jihadi gets the girls, where a terrorist can hang out and it is hard for police to find him, let alone surveille. him.

For over a thousand years peoples, cultures, religions, civilizations, empires, nations, and Kingdoms have struggled to find a way to coexist with Islam. None have ever succeeded. We will not be the first.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

The suit doesn't even fit him correctly. :laugh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Man, KMFDM has really gone downhill.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Who wants to see SlateStarCodex on Reddit discuss millennials? No one? Well too bad!

https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarcodex/comments/4pstmf/the_mystery_of_millennial_politics/

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
In which a modest proposal is made regarding mosquitoes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Peztopiary posted:

TranshumanWarrior is just a darling fellow.

Tesseraction posted:

I just had occasion to try to explain to a fairly conservative but otherwise normal and reasonable person why Milo Yiannopoulos is a human dumpster fire and the mention of his name leaves all decent people punching walls. The point that got across his irredeemable reprehensibility was how he ripped off just about everyone with The Kernel, and only paid anyone at all because a judge told him he'd go to loving jail if he didn't. Also, his Wikipedia career summary is a neutral, understated and euphemised account of his decline and further decline.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Peztopiary posted:

So do the dust-specks-in-eyes crowd realize that utilitarianism runs both ways, and if the disutility of "wipe out all of a single species" even slightly potentially outweighs the utility, you shouldn't do something?

Anyways, I support this guerilla altruism wholeheartedly, provided said altruists assume all liability, and, should anything go horribly wrong, are willing to accept the seizure of all their possessions to pay for any downsides—up to and including the sale of their internal organs—as well as potentially their own enslavement or execution.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tesseraction posted:

Why do these guys not like clothes that fit?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Curvature of Earth posted:

So do the dust-specks-in-eyes crowd realize that utilitarianism runs both ways, and if the disutility of "wipe out all of a single species" even slightly potentially outweighs the utility, you shouldn't do something?

Anyways, I support this guerilla altruism wholeheartedly, provided said altruists assume all liability, and, should anything go horribly wrong, are willing to accept the seizure of all their possessions to pay for any downsides—up to and including the sale of their internal organs—as well as potentially their own enslavement or execution.

The most utilitarian thing imaginable is to kill every other utilitarian and then yourself so that the people who are left can come up with a better philosophy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But of course we don’t want a state like Saddam’s, where civil war is barely held in check by state terror. (Though it would be an improvement on today’s Iraq, where civil war is not held in check.) Nor Mindanao, where civil war is held in check by the threat of state terror, by state terror recently past, and the imminent likelihood of more to come. We want a peaceful high trust society. And to do that, have to remove the Muslims. Dump them on the shores of Africa.

We want a peaceful, high-trust society by forcefully expelling millions of people and this is totally not state-sponsored terror because reasons

I don't know about you but I would totally trust a government that just deported an entire culture, clearly they have shown themselves to definitely not be backstabbers who prey on the weak and scapegoat problems

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

Some SSC on Reddit person posted:

A sterilization plague that ideally targets the less intelligent 90% or whatever. Done in secret and presented as a natural occurrence, paired with compassionate material and "bureaucratic" assistance.
I don't think it's impossible to judge a life as not worth living. Survival instinct is not rational.

A compassionate utilitarianism knows that we must slowly eliminate the less-intelligent so that the human race as a whole can be made more intelligent. We must cull the WEAK from the herd. We must remove the IMPURE and leave only those in the CRU-CI-BLE with the WILL and the MIGHT to EX-PAND ACROSS THE UN-I-VERSE

EXTERMINATE

EXTERMINATE

EXTERMINATE

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Look, if the idea of mass sterilizations bothers you, there's plenty of room in the mass sterilizer if you catch my drift.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You know, I don't care how irrational it is, if there's a suggestion on the table to make all mosquitoes extinct, I'm on team murder the little fuckers, every last one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
I was gonna ask how exactly "let's get rid of these kinds of mosquitos" turns into "EUGENICS IS GREAT, PURGE THE UNCLEAN"... but it's Reddit.