Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Redungeon is pretty fun. Think Crossy Road, but in a dungeon where you avoid things like spikes, pits, and stereotypical RPG monsters. The graphics and sound are pretty good, and it runs very smoothly with responsive controls. You can collect coins in the dungeons and use them to unlock new characters and character upgrades. So far I've unlocked two characters and the first upgrade for each of them; they play somewhat differently and I'm semi-interested to see how varied the rest of the characters and upgrades are.

The downside I've found so far is that it throws a REALLY LOUD AD at you every couple of runs. I turned off the in-game music but left the sound effects on, and the ads seem WAY louder than the sound effects. This really turns me off from wanting to spend money on the game, just because it feels disrespectful.

The inventor is easily the best character, he gets drones that blow up traps every couple seconds. Then he gets an ult that blows up every trap on the screen. I've gotten the farthest with him. He deals with a lot more of the different types of hazards than the other characters. Also the No-ads IAP is like $3.50 and it gives you one free continue per run. It's worth it.

The Vampire is second, because of his auto-fly when you fall off a cliff. It's super helpful.

The final guy is a skeleton that gets four lives after upgrades, but he dies instantly from falling, so he's pretty good too but he's really expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

Anyone who likes clickers should definitely take Egg Inc for a spin, I was in on the beta and it is super polished and the first clicker that actually "clicked" for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.auxbrain.egginc

Downloaded this the other day because I saw a bitbook post from a bitizen (i.e. presumably one of you folks) in tiny tower about it. Meta-pseudo-viral marketing accomplished, I guess. :v: Like all clickers it's basically the same 'make numbers bigger, reset in order to restart with a higher floor' thing, but it is nicely polished and watching the chickens run around is a nice little touch.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Redungeon is pretty fun. Think Crossy Road, but in a dungeon where you avoid things like spikes, pits, and stereotypical RPG monsters. The graphics and sound are pretty good, and it runs very smoothly with responsive controls. You can collect coins in the dungeons and use them to unlock new characters and character upgrades. So far I've unlocked two characters and the first upgrade for each of them; they play somewhat differently and I'm semi-interested to see how varied the rest of the characters and upgrades are.

The downside I've found so far is that it throws a REALLY LOUD AD at you every couple of runs. I turned off the in-game music but left the sound effects on, and the ads seem WAY louder than the sound effects. This really turns me off from wanting to spend money on the game, just because it feels disrespectful.

I'll check this out, it seems interesting. What do the ads do if you don't have a connection? (Airplane mode+off wifi)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That bird dating sim Hatoful Boyfriend is out on Android.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Ads after every other run? That's lovely.

It gives you an option to watch a video to continue, and if you dont, half the time, you have to watch an add anyhow. I get that they need to make their nut, but I'm not sold on the game yet and I'm not going to gently caress with these ads long enough to figure it out

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I just did like 3-5 runs in airplane mode and didn't get any ads.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

mrkillboy posted:

That bird dating sim Hatoful Boyfriend is out on Android.

What?

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

QFT

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shame on you if you've never wanted to date a pigeon

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

Anyone who likes clickers should definitely take Egg Inc for a spin, I was in on the beta and it is super polished and the first clicker that actually "clicked" for me.

Oh my god this loving game I started playing it and my god

Who knew when I woke up my day would be half consumed with breeding chickens that lay fusion reactor eggs while shooting drones out of the sky in search of SOUL EGGS?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QHYdHfIiUo

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The egg game is pretty good. It's scratched the 'numbers go bigger' itch I had that reinstalling Tiny Tower failed to scratch. I'm just annoyed at fat fingering drones and opening buildings instead.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I found an exploit already :haw:

If you get an invitation to watch an ad near the end of your run before you upgrade your egg, you can watch it afterwards and it will still be worth, say, billions or trillions of research/building boosting dollars.

I mean, ideally that's intentional but still.

e: I'm not sure what the secret sauce is exactly but it's also possible to use multiple fingers with the epic research on holding down the chicken button to get all the chickens out super fast.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 16, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

The egg game is pretty good. It's scratched the 'numbers go bigger' itch I had that reinstalling Tiny Tower failed to scratch. I'm just annoyed at fat fingering drones and opening buildings instead.

It's a nice distraction from the relatively passive/low gameplay games in my current rotation (AdVenture Capitalist, Tiny Tower, Pokemon Go) since it really seems more about active play than anything

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So how do I start a new farm? I need it for a mission, but have hit every button.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Warhammer 40k: Regicide is out for anyone who wishes chess had more Space Marines in it.

edit: Well, it looks like the game is broken at the moment if you're running Marshmallow. It's a shame because the game actually does seem interesting.

edit 2: fixed it by flipping on the storage permission in the phone settings.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 16, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

So how do I start a new farm? I need it for a mission, but have hit every button.

You literally can't until your farm is valuable enough to upgrade your egg type. Otherwise you do it by tapping the egg.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You literally can't until your farm is valuable enough to upgrade your egg type. Otherwise you do it by tapping the egg.

You can do a full prestige from the Main menu if that is what you're talking about. You reset your egg in return for a number of soul eggs.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

eeenmachine posted:

You can do a full prestige from the Main menu if that is what you're talking about. You reset your egg in return for a number of soul eggs.

I'm sure there is a mission way later that will ask you to do that, but I'm pretty sure it's a much earlier one he's asking about i.e. while you have ordinary/superfood eggs.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tap the egg in the upper left corner.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Downloaded Egg Inc, font looks like total rear end, game is unplayable because I can't read anything. There a way to fix that?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there an easy way to see when your Google credit expires? I tried looking at Google Wallet, but it just had the total, not the expiration date.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Downloaded Egg Inc, font looks like total rear end, game is unplayable because I can't read anything. There a way to fix that?

What is the screen resolution of your device? Also are you running any software that modifies the reported resolution to games?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm having the same issue. Everything is super pixelated and the text looks really bad. I'm using a ZTE Avid Plus Z828 with a screen resolution of, I think, 480 x 854. It's not the most impressive phone, but it can usually run most games just fine. Dunno what it is about this game in particular.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Sailor Dave posted:

I'm having the same issue. Everything is super pixelated and the text looks really bad. I'm using a ZTE Avid Plus Z828 with a screen resolution of, I think, 480 x 854. It's not the most impressive phone, but it can usually run most games just fine. Dunno what it is about this game in particular.

Passed this info on to the dev, thanks!

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Here's a screenshot, if it helps. It looks exactly like this:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yup, that's what mine looks like. Phone is an LG Spree (I'm a poor mofo), screen is also 480 x 854. Not running anything special that would affect the screen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Played through a bit of Redungeon and it's fairly fun. Crossy Road Dungeon Crawl (Roguelike?) definitely tells you all you need to know. It also shares the mechanic where the further you go in, the the more higher value coins start appearing. So far I'm a little annoyed at how you cannot tell what an upgrade will be before you buy it, and that there's very little to actually collect or buy. One of the appeals of Crossy Road is all the characters to collect, and one of the appeals in Dungeon Crawls is outfitting your character(s), and Redungeon is lacking in both. It does have interesting puzzles in its dungeon and inventive use of the puzzle elements, but since I can't make informed decisions on which characters/upgrades to buy I kind of feel like Redungeon is a game that I'll keep on my tablet and remember to play once in awhile slowly making progress and hope that either it gets updates or someone else comes out with a better version of the same concept.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there an easy way to see when your Google credit expires? I tried looking at Google Wallet, but it just had the total, not the expiration date.

I don't remember if there is a way to see the actual date, but it expires a year from the last time you last received credit. If you're doing surveys occasionally, you're fine.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you liked Flappy Bird, you might like Dashy Knight.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Potsticker posted:

Played through a bit of Redungeon and it's fairly fun. Crossy Road Dungeon Crawl (Roguelike?) definitely tells you all you need to know. It also shares the mechanic where the further you go in, the the more higher value coins start appearing. So far I'm a little annoyed at how you cannot tell what an upgrade will be before you buy it, and that there's very little to actually collect or buy. One of the appeals of Crossy Road is all the characters to collect, and one of the appeals in Dungeon Crawls is outfitting your character(s), and Redungeon is lacking in both. It does have interesting puzzles in its dungeon and inventive use of the puzzle elements, but since I can't make informed decisions on which characters/upgrades to buy I kind of feel like Redungeon is a game that I'll keep on my tablet and remember to play once in awhile slowly making progress and hope that either it gets updates or someone else comes out with a better version of the same concept.

How does it compare to The Quest Keeper?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't remember if there is a way to see the actual date, but it expires a year from the last time you last received credit. If you're doing surveys occasionally, you're fine.

Oh, good to know, thanks! I received credit when I bought my Nexus last year and between that credit and survey credit, I wasn't sure how they calculated expiration dates.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lakbay posted:

How does it compare to The Quest Keeper?

I looked this up since the name didn't sound familiar and was surprised to find I had already installed it? The screenshots don't look familiar so maybe I just forgot to actually try it rather than it being forgettable.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Sailor Dave posted:

It runs perfectly on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone (4.65" 720x1280 pixels), most of the text boxes are literally empty.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

My Nexus 5x runs Egg Inc. just fine without any text issues, sucks to hear it doesn't work so good on older phones though.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

delfin posted:

It runs perfectly on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone (4.65" 720x1280 pixels), most of the text boxes are literally empty.

Actually, I'll pull this back a bit. An occasional text box is empty (white boxes in midscreen) but most of the menus and such are readable. The graphics are pixelated and flash a bit but are sound enough for such an old device.

Also, if you're on the fence about Egg Inc. its alternate title should be Smash Drone Quadcopters Out Of The loving Air Several Times A Minute, which is satisfying in and of itself.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 17, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It's a bit of a resource instensive game, like my nexus 6 chugs on it a little when I have an especially productive chicken-tapping spree. It's a lot of 3D chickens to render and path. I wouldn't be surprised if it kicked down the graphics on old phones to make sure it can handle all that chicken pathing and rendering.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Quest Keeper VS Redungeon (vs Crossy Road)

The Quest Keeper and Redungeon are very similar games. Both of them are succinctly described as "Crossy Road Dungeon Crawlers" or in other words, "Frogger Roguelikes." The Quest Keeper mostly copies Crossy Road's aesthetic of blocky, low res graphic worlds while Redungeon has a pixel art style very similar to Nitrome's other works.

Controls:
While Redungeon mostly copies Crossy Road's control scheme with swiping to move a single square, The Quest Keeper has more of a Pac-man style movement scheme where your character continues walking in whatever direction you last swiped. This means that Redungeon has a lot more strategy to its puzzles and when you die it's because you didn't stop and look at the dangers or got the timing wrong.

In The Quest Keeper the controls aren't very sharp. There's a startup time for the character to start walking after coming to a stop and the character can turn before you intend them to since even if they've started to walk forward they will jerk to the side and not finish their forward movement if you swipe too early. All in all this makes deaths frustrating and feeling arbitrary.

Also I want to note that Redungeon allows you to use a control scheme with on-screen buttons, which is really nice except on my tablet they're really far apart from each other making it a little awkward to use.

Graphics:
Redungeon has beautiful pixel graphics and everything is well animated. But after playing a while I'm kind of wishing there was a little more variety in the dungeon setting. There might be as you advance like in some endless runners, but from what I've played I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

In The Quest Keeper as soon as you save enough money you can switch to different challenge areas which change up the graphics and settings. The Quest Keeper actually looks really nice in general and all the elements make for really nice set pieces and environments. The Quest Keeper also allows you to switch between two different views, which is nice when some of the models obscure your view. Unfortunately because of how the control scheme works with the character moving near-constantly it's not easy to switch on the fly and still avoid some of the stage hazards.

Gameplay:
I posted some before about Redungeon's really tight puzzle design, but let me expand on that a little. Redungeon is the sort of roguelike where you can clearly see all the "pieces" that are used to construct the game, which means it's fairly simple to learn how to tackle each specific separate challenge, and the game shuffles things up by changing how many monsters appear, the timing/pattern on spikes, and removing the 'safe spots' between dangerous elements the further you go. This is clearly the most polished and most satisfying element of both games.

The Quest Keeper in comparison has elements just thrown together. And I'm not even certain that some combinations are able to be passed without using some items or getting artifacts so you have more health. Which segues into one way The Quest Keeper beats out Redungeon, in Redungeon you spend money unlocking characters and abilities, all of which is hidden from you until you purchase them. In this day of GameFAQs and wikis, I don't know why they do it this way, but it's annoying. In The Quest Keeper you have three equipment slots for boots, outfits and hand-held items and each one gives a different sort of benefit, even if the benefit is just "you now look like a pig." And it gives you a variety of things to buy at each price point (unlike Redungeon which staggers its prices to provide the gameplay element of "do I want to wait to buy something else or buy this right now, even though I have no information on which is more beneficial to me at this moment) so you can make plans and coordinate abilities to take on challenges that vex you in the infinite dungeon or provided the right mix of abilities to take on the themed dungeons.

To Redungeon's credit, it does give you instead abilities to unlock for each character that give different playstyles and are generally useful and offer interesting gameplay choices. Also being able to play as a vampire or pumpkin-headed scarecrow is more interesting than playing as a fat, blocky mustache man-- who sometimes wears animal themed suits. The difference between these games and Crossy Road is that while Crossy Road has you collecting tokens to pull the handle on a gatcha machine to unlock different characters to play who for the most part don't change anything about the way the game plays, and just offer different looks, sounds, and sometimes a different coat of paint for the stages. Meanwhile Redungeon has you collecting coins to unlock characters and their abilities (both active and passive) which give you different ways to play and The Quest Keeper, does sort of the same thing, but also allows you to unlock different styles of stages and allows the player to mix and match passive abilities.

tldr;
Redungeon and The Quest Keeper both do lots of different things well, but Redungeon has the better gameplay and controls. That being said The Quest Keeper offers enough that it's worth a look as well if you're interested in this type of game to see which is more appealing to you, personally.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

eeenmachine posted:

Your a fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Any advice on what to spend the gold eggs on?