Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

u can like whatever the gently caress u want just dont post: "well *I* have fun so whats wrong with youuuuuuuu?????"

you aint poo poo until you play and lose at multiple fgs anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

interrodactyl posted:

it's fine and normal to like bad/mediocre things

but people give you poo poo in this thread because you act like it's good and pretend that you can tell the difference

If you ever want to talk about it, PM me here or on Discord. I'd like to think you'd drop that notion fairly quickly.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
as someone with some experience in sf2/sfiv, and who wants to get into local fight nights and online play, should I be fine in SFV with a x360 usb controller or should I invest in a fightpad/stick?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Canadian Surf Club posted:

as someone with some experience in sf2/sfiv, and who wants to get into local fight nights and online play, should I be fine in SFV with a x360 usb controller or should I invest in a fightpad/stick?

You don't necessarily need a stick but the Xbox 360 is considered to be one of the worst pads for fighting games.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

You don't necessarily need a stick but the Xbox 360 is considered to be one of the worst pads for fighting games.

I play ST, 3S, SF4, and 5 with a 360 pad. I don't really see the issue.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ryuga Death posted:

I tried it and hated it; most people bag on the dpad a lot.

In either case: Yeah, you can make it work (and more power to you for it), but that's been my experience and what I've read elsewhere.

VVV If you use the stick then you're a far braver man than I.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 17, 2016

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

I tried it and hated it; most people bag on the dpad a lot.

In either case: Yeah, you can make it work, but that's been my experience and what I've read elsewhere.

I don't use the dpad, that sounds miserable.

For advice, get what you're comfortable with and whatever would work best with the set ups you plan to play on.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Ryuga Death posted:

did you have the first edition or the 2nd one where you can turn the dpad and it does something to it

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't use the dpad, that sounds miserable.

edit: oh wait you play on the analog stick? wtf

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

edit: oh wait you play on the analog stick? wtf

Yes, the analog stick is fine.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

Yes, the analog stick is fine.

if you can do anything remotely complicated consistently on the analog stick you are a god

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've met people that play on the analog stick in my Land of Poverty Input Methods.

I have no idea how they deal with it but they do. It's objectively godawful, but hey, whatever works for you.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

you can play with a controller but fightsticks are really fun. are you on pc or ps4?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

80% of my vids for marvel were done on a 360 analog stick because my fightstick was broken at the time

i can kinda play marvel on pad but my movement becomes really stilted

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Booyah- posted:

you can play with a controller but fightsticks are really fun. are you on pc or ps4?

pc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bow before the analog stick fighting gamers.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use a 360 controller online and do ok, it is at least enough to let you decide if you want to invest more time or money into the game or not.

The huge amount of dead space in the triggers is way worse than anything with the dpad imo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you want to stick with a pad, the Hori RC(?) pad is very good and generally gets positive accolades. For sticks, you have a lot of options from the super-budget sticks from MadCatz and the Qanba Drone (aside from poverty sticks of course), but if you're willing to spend a little more you can find MadCatz TEs for fairly cheap and I always recommend the Qanba Q4 since you can swap between XBOX/PS3/PC and it has a lot of little conveniences like a cable bundle port, a handle, rubber feet and felt bottom, etc.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Analog isn't hard to do tbh. What you sacrifice in gates for things like perfect 45 degree angles for instance you gain in a smaller range of motion. It takes way less to get back to neutral for more 'complex' motions.

The only thing I find hard to do on controller is puppet characters.

But its less inputs and me just not getting the idea of them smoothly.
Even stocked juri fireball combos are easier done then people made them out to be

Use whatever method of controls is comfortable. none will be simpler than another, and switching will never be all that easy :shrug:
All have advantages and disadvantages.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 17, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I found this to be a fairly good breakdown of stick vs pad.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Fighting game inputs are traditionally digital so analog sticks are just objectively the worst method of directional input.

Sure you Can make it work but it's worse in just about every way than a d-pad or arcade joystick.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

then you can get any stick for xbox 360 and it should work on your pc game, so you can spend more like 80-90 buck on a used stick.but if you are serious, the TE S+ and TE 2+ are great quality and will work on whatever you want. I used to use budget xbox sticks but now the te 2+ is the only one i need

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

SectumSempra posted:

Analog isn't hard to do tbh. What you sacrifice in gates for things like perfect 45 degree angles for instance you gain in a smaller range of motion. It takes way less to get back to neutral for more 'complex' motions.

An arcade stick actually has a smaller range of motion than analog thumbsticks. With analog sticks you have an inherent disconnect between the physical feel of the stick and the emulated deadzone, along with inconsistent deadzone based on how the game you're playing interprets analog inputs. The resistance is also consistent throughout, where an arcade joystick has absolutely no resistance in the much smaller deadzone and tactile feedback for when you engage. The throw is also proportionally smaller on an arcade joystick and generally restricted by a square gate versus the huge throw and no real gate on an analog stick.

The other factor is how you control it. The hand and wrist is much faster and much more accurate than the thumb. Inputs will almost always be faster on an arcade stick

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

An arcade stick actually has a smaller range of motion than analog thumbsticks. With analog sticks you have an inherent disconnect between the physical feel of the stick and the emulated deadzone, along with inconsistent deadzone based on how the game you're playing interprets analog inputs. The resistance is also consistent throughout, where an arcade joystick has absolutely no resistance in the much smaller deadzone and tactile feedback for when you engage. The throw is also proportionally smaller on an arcade joystick and generally restricted by a square gate versus the huge throw and no real gate on an analog stick.

The other factor is how you control it. The hand and wrist is much faster and much more accurate than the thumb. Inputs will almost always be faster on an arcade stick

prove it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

if youre going to use a pad, you want to use the dpad and preferably feel when you click each direction. the xbone controller is pretty good for this. with an arcade stick its really easy to tell when you've activated the switch in a given direction, and thats really important when learning your inputs. ok glhf

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Doesn't Smug use the analog stick on a 360 pad?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

A.o.D. posted:

Doesn't Smug use the analog stick on a 360 pad?

He does, as do some KI top players IIRC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played the game tonight. i did half the ibuki trials but the game crashed and didn't save any of them. then i tried the balrog trials but i can't get jumping hk, standing lp to link into standing lk for some reason so i'm probably really stupid. then i played some ranked matches but the were all unplayable lag fests against brazillian and middle eastern kens

good times.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

why thank you. Though lately a lot of the old beasts have come back and I havent been practicing, its been rough when I attend sessions

i hear you played pyro lee

is that true

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
More like DaiGONE

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

General Morden posted:

i hear you played pyro lee

is that true

hundreds of times. I've beaten him many times too

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

i mean i suspected as much when i played against you that one time

lol what a huge skill difference

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

yeah righght

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

bhsman posted:

I have zero issue with people venting about a game they actually play.

I bought this game I have every right to vent about the money wasted.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Zand posted:

if you can do anything remotely complicated consistently on the analog stick you are a god

I've done all of the vanilla SF4 trials on 360 pad with analog stick

Help me

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

I play on an Xbone pad using the stick.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I play console fighting games with the analog stick because I don't want to haul around anything else and the 360 d-pad is awful.

Hitbox is still the way to go, but you've gotta cart a thing around.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

canoshiz posted:

I've done all of the vanilla SF4 trials on 360 pad with analog stick

Help me

I did them with the d-pad, can't imagine myself FADCing anything reliably with the analog. At least there were only 5(?) per character, I'd probably have killed myself if I didn't have a stick by the time Super rolled around.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Your only limiting options for a controller are a controller that doesn't have enough buttons like an NES one, the Dreamcast controller because it's a piece of poo poo, and a Gamecube controller because it's a really good controller for anything except fighting games.

I mean, in the EVO thread, there was a picture of someone using an electronic keyboard as a controller. Just use whatever you feel happy using and you'll get comfortable with it. But don't necessarily use what you're comfortable with if you're not happy with it. The exception being don't use a Dreamcast controller even if you're happy with it, because you'll never get comfortable with it.

EDIT: This post isn't very helpful at all, but I guess the point is that you can play fighting games on almost anything and despite the ingrained bias towards sticks because that's what most people enjoy playing on, there isn't necessarily a greater advantage to playing on one. So just pick whatever works for you.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 17, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Trihugger posted:

Your only limiting options for a controller are a controller that doesn't have enough buttons like an NES one, the Dreamcast controller because it's a piece of poo poo, and a Gamecube controller because it's a really good controller for anything except fighting games.

I mean, in the EVO thread, there was a picture of someone using an electronic keyboard as a controller. Just use whatever you feel happy using and you'll get comfortable with it. But don't necessarily use what you're comfortable with if you're not happy with it. The exception being don't use a Dreamcast controller even if you're happy with it, because you'll never get comfortable with it.

EDIT: This post isn't very helpful at all, but I guess the point is that you can play fighting games on almost anything and despite the ingrained bias towards sticks because that's what most people enjoy playing on, there isn't necessarily a greater advantage to playing on one. So just pick whatever works for you.

I played for years on a keyboard. I've only just transitioned to hitbox. I don't think I'll ever be able to play with a D-pad or stick and having to do so for years is what stopped me from picking up fighting games until SFIV released on the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The transition period for getting comfortable with a stick isnt really years more like days, but if you like what you already have and use there's no real reason to switch. The only reason I picked up a stick in the first place was because I really didn't like the PS3 controller (for any games really) so I picked up a cheap stick and eventually got used to it and now it's the only way I can play.