Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not like anything good happens in this thread the rest of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xinder posted:

Unrelated, I just want to point out that the only thing that upsets me right now about Fox's movie rights is that until they give them back we can't have Doom in the MCU. I find this thought distressing.

Yeah, I don't really care about the X-Men being segregated into their own universe (in fact I think it works better) but Marvel really needs to get the F4 back.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Reed, Tony, Bruce, and Peter being Team Science would probably kick rear end. I'm not sure humanity would survive whatever they came up with, but it would kick rear end until that point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope that they will be introduced as always having been around and that no attempts are made to fit them into continuity.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They should make Sentry 2. That would be ballsy as gently caress.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DrProsek posted:

Who the gently caress cares? Does it really affect you if people post on the Internet?

Yes! I get very mad about it!

Ignite Memories posted:

They should make Sentry 2. That would be ballsy as gently caress.

I'd love to see them lean in and do a TV special on his history or something

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the Fantastic Four are stupid and Doom is dumber even still.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I don't really care about the X-Men being segregated into their own universe (in fact I think it works better) but Marvel really needs to get the F4 back.

Yeah, even if Fox could have the F4 and associated characters cross over with X-Men (which I'm not entirely sure if their deal allows for that), it'd still be fundamentally worse than having the F4 and the rest of their characters hang out with the MCU. Even if the F4 are done really well, they still have little to do with mutants beyond "You're kinda a sciency thing, we do science!" compared to the F4 hanging out with heroes like Tony and Bruce, and Doom being a threat to the Avengers works a lot better than using him as an X-Men villain.

Also the lighter tone of the MCU films suits the F4 a lot better than Fox's movies' tones.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, even if Fox could have the F4 and associated characters cross over with X-Men (which I'm not entirely sure if their deal allows for that), it'd still be fundamentally worse than having the F4 and the rest of their characters hang out with the MCU. Even if the F4 are done really well, they still have little to do with mutants beyond "You're kinda a sciency thing, we do science!" compared to the F4 hanging out with heroes like Tony and Bruce, and Doom being a threat to the Avengers works a lot better than using him as an X-Men villain.

Also the lighter tone of the MCU films suits the F4 a lot better than Fox's movies' tones.

Yeah the F4 just don't fit with the X-Men. They're off doing their own poo poo while the F4 actually interacts with most of the other Marvel universe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

So what, you watch Rise of the SIlver Surfer and decide to judge the entire Fantastic 4 franchise?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom is pretty bad right now with the Mary Suing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

e: Also, who the gently caress cares? Does it really affect you if people start unironically saying that BvS had a good colour palette in other places?

Yeah, when trolling takes over all other discussion you get half the threads in CD.

Xinder posted:

Yeah the F4 just don't fit with the X-Men. They're off doing their own poo poo while the F4 actually interacts with most of the other Marvel universe.

I don't know, I feel like at least some X-Men are as much an interaction-source as the F4. Wolverine or Beast or whatnot.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I admit I'm burned out on "Dr. Doom is the BEST VILLAIN EVER" stuff. He's one step below The Joker these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

People keep using this term but I don't think they know what it means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He went from some nomad peasant to ruling reality.

More than once.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

He went from some nomad peasant to ruling reality.

More than once.

That's not what a Mary Sue is.

I'm hesitant to drag the BvS discussion back up, but I finally just watched it yesterday so we could review it on the podcast.

It's really bad. Badly shot, badly edited, badly written, badly directed. Casting was on point, but that is literally the only good thing about this movie. A movie about superheroes should have more than seven seconds of fun in it. Especially if one of the heroes is Superman. gently caress Snyder, gently caress Goyer, and gently caress this movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People are enamoured with Doom because in the world of superhero squares he has complete agency. There's always that appeal, no matter what a piece of poo poo he is.

Chaos Hippy posted:

gently caress Snyder, gently caress Goyer, and gently caress this movie.

When will their reign of terror end.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I feel like at least some X-Men are as much an interaction-source as the F4. Wolverine or Beast or whatnot.

Fair enough, there are definite exceptions. But for the most part the X-Men are pretty segregated to their own section of the universe.

And yeah, Doom might be a bit overplayed from fans but so is Deadpool and his movie still turned out great.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I admit I'm burned out on "Dr. Doom is the BEST VILLAIN EVER" stuff. He's one step below The Joker these days.

I think Doom will always be a better villain than Joker because at their worsts, wacky lolzrand00m crazy clown guy will always be worse than "dude in mask who I am convinced is peak cool/badass despite this not being the case".

But I agree that Doom is a villain that only works if you use him sparingly and only for certain kind of stories, and I think people often don't appreciate how boring both villains become if you just keep going back to them.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 17, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doom rules, always rules, and always will rule because he's a supervillain whose sole defining "super power" is that he has pure, undiluted confidence. Like, he has the magic and the science technically but really, his true superheroic ability is his pure and total belief in himself. In a universe where heroes are defined by their limitations - Peter Parker, the mascot of Marvel, is a superhero who never believes in himself and whose whole reason for existing is his guilt - Doctor Doom stands out as the one guy, the one guy, who constantly at all times believes that he's in the right, who never ever ever ever doubts himself. It's also why the declaration of him as a "Mary Sue" is at best imprecise, because the dude's whole deal is that he has, essentially, Super Self-Esteem. It's also why Doom's so great a character, because he can do anything and it's believable, because he's just that goddamn self-assured. The few bordering on virtually nonexistent times that Doom admits failure are so impactful because they happen in the context of a man who is otherwise assured of his supremacy. Like, the finale of SW 2015 was so impactful not because it was a metal masked guy in a cloak fighting a stretchy man, but because it ended with Victor admitting to his greatest enemy that Reed was better than him at something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doom is no where near the level of obnoxiousness as the Joker. Dumbass Katana and trenchcoat wearing nerds don't idolize him nearly as much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

Doom is no where near the level of obnoxiousness as the Joker. Dumbass Katana and trenchcoat wearing nerds don't idolize him nearly as much.
They also aren't going out of their way to make Doom 'edgy' or whatever it is they keep doing with the Joker the last few years

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Joker has also been in two successful, acclaimed movies, vs Doom's zero.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Doctor Doom's annoying fans always seemed to me to be comic book nerds talking to other comic book nerds. But then again, given Doom's adaptation record, it's not like they've had much other outlets.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also aren't going out of their way to make Doom 'edgy' or whatever it is they keep doing with the Joker the last few years

Looks like someone doesn't understand method acting.

(I loving hate when people say that re: Leto's wacky antics getting ready to play Joker. When I think Joker, I don't think "handing coworkers weird poo poo" or "fedexing stuff")

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

So what, you watch Rise of the SIlver Surfer and decide to judge the entire Fantastic 4 franchise?

Like every panel anyone posts of Doom with "look how awesome this badass character is" just makes him look stupid and antiquated.

Or posts something like him blowing up a wall because he doesn't "deign to use doors, like a pleasant" and makes me say "Ok, this is a joke character. You're telling me this comic universe considers him a joke"

greatn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 17, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrProsek posted:

Looks like someone doesn't understand method acting.

(I loving hate when people say that re: Leto's wacky antics getting ready to play Joker. When I think Joker, I don't think "handing coworkers weird poo poo" or "fedexing stuff")
I was referring to the comics version, specifically where he cuts his own face off

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Aphrodite posted:

Completely forgot about that term for a minute. Tried to think of a Marvel character named Mary who could have a lawsuit against Doom.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

Like every panel anyone posts of Doom with "look how awesome this badass character is" just makes him look stupid and antiquated.

Or posts something like him blowing up a wall because he doesn't "deign to use doors, like a pleasant" and makes me say "Ok, this is a joke character. You're telling me this comic universe considers him a joke"

So it's worse. You're judging a character based on a couple panels out of context. Ok.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Based on the only representation anyone puts out.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Perry Normal posted:

Completely forgot about that term for a minute. Tried to think of a Marvel character named Mary who could have a lawsuit against Doom.

Typhoid Mary.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Based on the only representation anyone puts out.

Read Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange Triumph and Torment. That'll give you a great representation of Dr. Doom.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SonicRulez posted:

So it's worse. You're judging a character based on a couple panels out of context. Ok.

As someone who has read a lot of doom comics, he is right. He is a corny joke character. I honestly thought that was the appeal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Doom because I find him to be over the top and really hammy, not because of any serious character depth, kind of like Black Manta.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/16/12205962/star-wars-virtual-reality-movie-darth-vader-ilm-xlab-david-goyer

The headline was about a Vader VR movie, which seemed awesome. Then right below it in the deck, as if in counterpoint and to temper my expectations, it just said "it's being written by David Goyer." I literally said "awww" out loud.

Posting here because I figured the comic book movie thread would be the one sure place to appreciate how much Goyer sucks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
David Goyer has written good movies. He has also written bad ones, but you don't need to let yourselves be haunted by his spectre.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 17, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More bad than good. Mother fucker made Blade 3.

Talk about a skid mark.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Goyer is over criticized. His scripts are usually very clean and to the point, his dialog is super concise. The characters don't say a lot. More is told with less. That's kind of a double edged sword but I dig it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Goyer co-wrote Dark City, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. I just don't like the dark, joyless tone of the DC movies so far, but I'm cautiously looking forward to Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman (which he isn't writing, at least).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Wow, how did wicked hate get off my ignore list?

Wait a second...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Did Goyer write "Some motherfuckers are always trying to iceskate up hill" or was that an adlib? I'll tell you when I know this if I like Goyer or not.

• Locked thread