Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I always thought it would make more sense for warp factors to be ship-specific. That seems to be the way it was used I TNG - instead of "ahead full" or "ahead half" or "flank speed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

Voyager is the fastest model in the fleet, with its variable warp field nacelles able to push the engines to warp 9.975336281.

Until you get to the episode where the Doc meets Hollo AndyDick on the USA prototype ship Badass TRIPLE SEPARATION VECTOR ASSAULT BATTLE MASTER. That ship goes 9.9754!

But then you get stupid rear end loving alternatech like the Trajector field, QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM, Transwarp and Kes' PsychoCrusher Superwarp that just means writers can pull bullshit out of their rear end to Gotta go Fast!

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

Not only is the multi-vector poo poo stupid as hell, but their super secret attack pattern is to... slow down and shoot the enemy from behind. :laugh:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I watched a bit of TMP for the first time in over a decade the other day, and that was one of two things that bothered me (of the bit I saw). The other was the dirt on the lens in some of the beauty shots of the Enterprise leaving Spacedock.

What's wrong with impulse being super low warp?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm totally sold on a feature Yesterday's Enterprise where Woof is the villain and the original crew is the Tasha chump squad. Kirk could even be the guy she falls for.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

TRIPLE SEPARATION VECTOR ASSAULT BATTLE MASTER

Mods, please change my name to this

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And then change her avatar to a capybara split into three parts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why in the gently caress hasn't some industrious toy company made a Tongo set?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Subyng posted:

I think they resolved this in the TNG tech manual by saying the impulse drive uses low-power warp fields or some poo poo to shoot out the ionized ship poots faster, so as to make the engine go better. Meanwhile you could also use the warp drive to scoot at impulse speeds if your impulse engines got blown out somehow.

They also seemed to suggest that the warp factors were actually like steady cruise speeds that were energetically cheaper to stay in, so you'd use less gas antimatter if you cruised in fifth gear Warp 6 vs. Warp 5.8 or 6.1.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't really understand why they'd bother with different warp speeds, out of universe, I mean. I can't think of any other majorly popular sci fi that does that. It just leads to all these problems and when you want to be going as fast as you can in emergencies anyway, it doesn't really add anything. "FTL is the speed of plot" works fine for me.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You write something into a script for some lovely going nowhere sci fi show in order to make things sound real and suddenly that show is going somewhere and now everyone is expected to remember that throwaway bit of technobabble for ever and ever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Subyng posted:

Warp is FTL travel, so you're telling me impulse engines on a ship that big push it to .5 the speed of light (at least).

:cmon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hu-mon play dom-jot

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Platonicsolid posted:

I always thought it would make more sense for warp factors to be ship-specific. That seems to be the way it was used I TNG - instead of "ahead full" or "ahead half" or "flank speed".

Yeah, you just say "Warp 3 is, like, 30% of maximum output on the thrusters," then whatever distance you cover in whatever time turns out to be how fast that ship is at Warp 3.

That's how diesel locomotives work. You have 10 (or 11 if you're England) throttle settings ranging from 0 to 8, plus an "off" setting. The notch number is linked the power plant output to the traction motors that actually turn the wheels, but the amount of speed you get is related to the interaction of the load, environment, and brakes.

Actually, now that I think about it, that sort of business would lend itself well to tons of technobabble. "Captain's log stardate whothefuckknows. The Enterprise is proceeding as fast as possible through the Fartknocker Nebula to deliver vital medical supplies to the planet of Catfancier. While we are running at Warp Factor 8, molecular nonsense drag from the nebula has reduced our speed by almost half. Also, power demands from Riker's upcoming bachelorgy may cut into our speed even more..."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can you imagine ramming speed being any significant fraction of light speed? Just nova events constantly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Can you imagine ramming speed being any significant fraction of light speed? Just nova events constantly.

I feel like with the whole warp bubble thing, as soon as the bubble is pierced, the ship "drops out of warp" and has almost no momentum, making warp collisions essentially impossible.

Cue up seventeen references that refute this and also each other

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Only time I've read of warp collisions in Trek is in one of the Enterprise reboot novels where a bunch of romulans ships warp ram a planet with dilithium and make it into a wasteland.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trent posted:

I feel like with the whole warp bubble thing, as soon as the bubble is pierced, the ship "drops out of warp" and has almost no momentum, making warp collisions essentially impossible.

Cue up seventeen references that refute this and also each other

The famous one is where Picard uses post-light speeds to fool a Ferengi ship as to his exact location during a battle, which I assume was written back when Ferengi were meant as serious antagonists. Starfleet thought this incredibly obvious use of light speed was so novel that it was henceforth called the Picard Maneuver.

Having one of the Star Trek encyclopedias as a kid probably ruined me.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

To be fair, Star Fleet tactics seem mostly to consist of sitting in one spot and shooting at the other vessel until such time as one or both of you explode. Trying something audacious, such as avoiding fire is a bold step, I mean, it's not like they're a military.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 16, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

remusclaw posted:

To be fair, Star Fleet tactics seem mostly to consist of sitting in one spot and shooting at the other vessel until such time as one or both of you explode. Trying something audacious, such as avoiding fire is a bold step, I mean, it's not like they're a military.

Well, Starfleet's thing in just about every video game adaptation is their ships being moderately to obnoxiously hard to destroy due to superior defenses and repairs, so this checks out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And yet every dinky alien Voyager encounters either tears through their shields or delivers a shot that drops their shield capacity by 10-20%.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's practically canon, given complacency was a huge disadvantage during the Dominion War. Too good to ever improve or improvise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So from that point onward the ships only travel at Warp 5 at most, to set some logistical limits on space travel in the stories. No idea if/when they dropped this.

They mentioned it once, like the next week, and then forgot all about it.

It's hard to blame them though, it's a tricky thing to make work with a story. A fictional starship can go only two speeds, for story purposes: Fast Enough and Not Fast Enough. The ship will still start the episode pretty close to wherever that week's plot is, and it'll still get to wherever it needs to be at the end to save the day just in the nick of time, and it doesn't really matter what number you stick on the warp factor. At most you could get a few lines of boring dialogue about whether they're going to violate the speed limit to go save the space school bus full of space children that's about to fall off the space bridge. Of COURSE they will.

I think the only way to make the warp-drive-environmental-damage thing work as an ongoing plot device would be to make it very immediate and give it real teeth. The damage was discovered just before all hell starts breaking loose. Subspace rifts start opening along heavily-traveled spacelanes. Entire regions of space are hanging by a thread, and cruising through at high warp might rip them wide open, leaving them impassable and even uninhabitable. Going to warp nine for this week's emergency will have very real and very serious and very visible consequences, to entire planets, for centuries. And what if, by chance, Romulan space happens to be in much better shape, warp-damage-wise, than most of the Federation? Some factions in the UFP might start pushing for a war of conquest to claim the "good" space. Maybe the Romulans would try to use the warp damage to pre-emptively fight back -- perhaps intentionally open a bunch of subspace rifts around the Sol system.

Would taking the show in that direction have been worth it? Nope, absolutely not. It's a fun little what-if concept, but it's also not really Star Trek anymore. I think they did better to just quietly let it drop.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Is there a comprehensive guide to the Star Trek comics anywhere?

Grab the Humble Bundle, or just found a longbox in the store somewhere?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Warp is FTL travel, so you're telling me impulse engines on a ship that big push it to .5 the speed of light (at least).

The way I see it warp is just the method of propulsion. So you can go to warp at the speed of walking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Grab the Humble Bundle, or just found a longbox in the store somewhere?

Nah, just starting thinking about how many weird as poo poo books there have been from so many publishers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Nah, just starting thinking about how many weird as poo poo books there have been from so many publishers.
If you want to post about that poo poo, I encourage you to "go crazy." Posting crazy!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Subyng posted:

The way I see it warp is just the method of propulsion. So you can go to warp at the speed of walking.

Picard nods. "Make it so."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

If you want to post about that poo poo, I encourage you to "go crazy." Posting crazy!

I don't know enough about them to really go crazy, but I was just thinking about how terrible the Marvel ones from some years back were.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the TNG tech manual, they state that a low level warp field is used at impulse when they go faster than 0.25c to avoid relativistic effects.

Makes sense, you wouldn't want to spend any amount of time at any significant portion of the speed of light without warp unless you like losing weeks of time to go anywhere sublight quickly.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 17, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Warp point 5 is supposedly .25c. Considering how fast the E was hauling away from Earth in that shot, sounds about right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Impulse using low warp makes sense to me because getting anywhere in space on mundane thrust would take obscenely long times even for places that are relatively close, and the alternative would be dropping into warp for just a second or less to get from the Earth to the moon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Railing Kill posted:

Don't worry. "Threshold" doesn't hit its stride until the last five minutes.

Speaking of which, there's a couple of things that have been sticking in my mind about TOS' "The Changeling." One of them is that little setting detail that makes the premise "Threshold" so stupid. NOMAD forces them to go to warp 11 in the episode, and even though Scotty says, "That's not possible!" People in the old thread mentioned something in TOS that proved how goofy the "warp 10 barrier" was, and that must be it. You would think Starfleet would have recorded that poo poo and published it. I guess nobody told Voyager's crew about it. Eh.

The other things that's been really bugging me is what happens to Uhura. She gets mind-wiped by NOMAD to the point that she can talk and talk and stuff, but her mind is completely blank. They "re-educate" her with Starfleet super.... teaching? Which is all well and good but what the gently caress her memories are all gone. The poor woman is like a brand new person! I can't tell if the scene with her learning and her lapsing into Swahili is supposed to make me feel better, or if it's just goofy. Because I guess that if she still knows Swahili, maybe she didn't get totally mind-wiped. I dunno. I just found all of it really disturbing and Voyager-esque when they blow it all off at the end of the episode, and it's never mentioned again.

It's all really inconsistent. I just assumed they change the scaling every once in awhile and anything that's past what they call "Warp 10" is probably some decimal place of 9.999

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well goddamn, in the Animated Series they go up to Warp 36. :stonk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This may be old news but I just found it and it's awesome.

http://www.starchertrek.com/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek.txt.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

I don't know enough about them to really go crazy, but I was just thinking about how terrible the Marvel ones from some years back were.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, besides reminding me that I religiously read the TNG and DS9 books in the 90s and retained almost nothing, led me to two books on Amazon:
Star Trek: A Comics History and New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics but no good web references.

And since I just drunk-bought the complete TNG blu-rays, I should probably hold off on additional Star Trek purchases for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

Looking at the Wikipedia page, besides reminding me that I religiously read the TNG and DS9 books in the 90s and retained almost nothing, led me to two books on Amazon:
Star Trek: A Comics History and New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics but no good web references.

And since I just drunk-bought the complete TNG blu-rays, I should probably hold off on additional Star Trek purchases for a while.

The first one looks interesting but I'm not gonna pony up $40 for a curiosity. I wish there was a cheap and easy way to read the terrible Marvel and Wildstorm issues.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cat Hatter posted:

Changing the warp scale for next gen was an awful idea. Just tell the writers if they use warp 10+ they'll get punched in the dick. Or if you absolutely need an exponential scale with "infinity" on it, leave some room for growth instead of going to warp 9.7 in the first loving episode.

Wouldn't work. Eventually the rule would be broken.

Roddenberry and/or Gerrold said at the beginning "no space pirates, not now not ever" and by the end of TNG we'd seen at least two episodes with space pirates.

Nessus posted:

I think they resolved this in the TNG tech manual by saying the impulse drive uses low-power warp fields or some poo poo to shoot out the ionized ship poots faster, so as to make the engine go better. Meanwhile you could also use the warp drive to scoot at impulse speeds if your impulse engines got blown out somehow.

They also seemed to suggest that the warp factors were actually like steady cruise speeds that were energetically cheaper to stay in, so you'd use less gas antimatter if you cruised in fifth gear Warp 6 vs. Warp 5.8 or 6.1.

No, I think the low-power warp fields make the ship less massive, so the same thrust moves the ship faster.

A bit of trivia: the original Nebula class model didn't have an impulse exhaust, and neither did the Romulan Warbird.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

The first one looks interesting but I'm not gonna pony up $40 for a curiosity. I wish there was a cheap and easy way to read the terrible Marvel and Wildstorm issues.

One of the reviews for that book hipped me to this site!

http://www.startrekcomics.info

The summaries are super brief, but they seem to have all the cover art.

Watch out, Riker! It's a g-g-g-ghost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

One of the reviews for that book hipped me to this site!

http://www.startrekcomics.info

The summaries are super brief, but they seem to have all the cover art.

Watch out, Riker! It's a g-g-g-ghost!

Thanks amigo!