Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

Ted Cruz is Canadian. Make it happen Cons.

I still love that word filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently that earlier post about how Environment Canada's budget is still decreasing has been updated to say that it isn't true after all:

quote:

Update - 14 July 2015: An indirect communication to me from the Trudeau government indicated surprise that Environment Canada’s budget was decreasing and suggested that my “Planned Spending” numbers – obtained from EC’s Report on Plans and Priorities 2016-2017 (see here) – are wrong. Further investigation reveals that EC’s budget is not declining as their published numbers had me believe.

Fig. 4: Environment Canada’s budget for each fiscal year ending March 31: Harper government (blue), election year (black), Trudeau government (red). The star represents the revised estimate from the federal government’s Supplementary Estimates.

EC’s Report numbers trace back to the federal government’s Main Estimates. The government also publishes Supplementary Estimates when a department’s Main Estimates are not ready in time, and in Environment Canada’s case the adjustment was substantial: $84.6 million.

EC’s Report does not indicate that its “Planned Spending” figures are out of date, and were effectively outdated at the time it was published. The Report was “last updated” on May 15 following the Main Estimates on February 11 and tabling of the federal budget on March 22. Supplementary Estimates are generally tabled in May and in this case were published on June 10.

Figure 4 gives the same budget numbers as before, but with a new data point adjusted for Supplementary spending. We can conclude that for at least the next year funding at EC will hold steady. It is possible that there will be additional Supplementary adjustments. There is no update to the information available for fiscal years 2017-2018 and 2018-2019.

Note that the only staffing numbers I can find are those in the Report. Historically, the planned and actual staffing track quite closely. At present, EC projects 769 fewer staff for fiscal year 2016-2017 than 2014-2015, the last full year the Harper government was in power. It seems likely with a higher budget that more staffing will be needed.

In light of this new information, I retract my assertion that “the Trudeau government plans to cut EC far deeper than the Harper government ever did”. Furthermore, Science Minister Kirsty Duncan and Environment Minister Catherine McKenna do not “have some explaining to do”. I do hope that EC’s Report on Plans and Priorities 2016-2017 will be updated. In any case, I regret the confusion that has been caused.

http://tomduck.ca/posts/2016-07-13_misery-continues-at-ec.html

So it appears that the problem is that Environment Canada didn't have their new budget ready in time for the general report, and after revisions it seems their budget will be holding steady for this year at least.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
alright everyone ive been applying for jobs on vancouver island my wife already has a job offer what do i need to know about victoria area

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
that you can gently caress off we don't want any more alberta trash

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Do it ironically posted:

alright everyone ive been applying for jobs on vancouver island my wife already has a job offer what do i need to know about victoria area

Good luck finding a place to live.

The thread's quiet right now, but enough people are around if you wanna ask questions there. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2374844

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Do it ironically posted:

Weather is good. Housing is expensive. Could be hard to find a job depending on your field. It's worse than Vancouver in every way according to people from Vancouver. We have a Green MP and MLA and the Conservatives finished fourth in at least one riding last federal election so if your posting is unironic you might be the most right wing person in town. We are nice and friendly people and also cool.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Do it ironically posted:

Do you like concerts and good music? Then you better enjoy $70 ferry rides as well because you're in Jon and Roy town now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jenny-kwan-conscientious-objectors-rodney-watson-1.3682691

quote:

B.C. MP Jenny Kwan calls on Liberals to end Operational Bulletin 202

After spending the last seven years living in sanctuary in a Vancouver church, U.S. Army veteran and war resister Rodney Watson joined New Democrat MP Jenny Kwan on Saturday to renew his appeal for resisters like him to be legally allowed to stay in Canada.

Watson and Kwan were joined by members of the B.C. NDP in calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to reverse a policy implemented by the previous Conservative government.

It classified war resisters as criminals that were not eligible for residency in Canada under a policy called Operational Bulletin 202.

"This is not a game, this is not a joke for me at all," Watson said from First United Church and addressed Trudeau directly.

"I can see it in your eyes that you have far more compassion in your heart for than Stephen Harper had, or ever had for any war resister."

About 200 U.S. soldiers who fled the Iraq war came to Canada, and the policy reads that because deserting the military is a crime, war resisters may not be eligible for asylum.

Now, Kwan, MP for Vancouver East, is calling on the Trudeau government to do away with the policy saying it is unfair to people like Watson.

"He served in the Iraq war and when he left, he was being recalled to go back, and what he saw was something that prevented him from going back," she said "He is a conscientious objector, he believes strongly in having done the right thing in refusing to go back."

Watson said he deserted because of racial hatred he witnessed against Iraqis during his first tour of duty.

He has a son with a Canadian woman, but says he has never seen the boy outside of his makeshift church home.

"His first steps were in this building while I was in sanctuary, I haven't been able to go to school to see his first day at school," said Watson.

Canada is estimated to have accepted around 50,000 conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War, including Dr. Michael Klein, who was recently awarded the Order of Canada.

"It was a much more compassionate time," he said. "We received landed immigrant status at Dorval airport in 20 minutes."

"We were embraced in Canada, we've made our life here, our children were born here, and we made contributions, we cannot understand why things have changed so dramatically."

The federal government did not provide comment to CBC News about calls to do away with Operational Bulletin 202, but there is a September 16 deadline to decide if it will continue to pursue American conscientious objectors living in Canada.

Holy gently caress if there ever was a stratum of idiot morons we don't need in this loving country it's the loving cowards who can't even summon the testicals to fulfill their glorious duty. Good job Jenny Kwan! You do good work!!!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

tetsul posted:

Do you like concerts and good music? Then you better enjoy $70 ferry rides as well because you're in Jon and Roy town now.

Sometimes BA Johnston plays Logans. That's always fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

I lived in Vic for 6 years. It's a boring as poo poo city filled with the newly wed and nearly dead. Infrastructure, both transit and roads, suck rear end. Get ready to enjoy going to Vancouver on a regular basis because that's how bad Vic is. It's a gorgeous and fun place to visit, and be a tourist in, and arguably a student, but that's it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Do it ironically posted:

move to langford, you'll fit right in

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jenny-kwan-conscientious-objectors-rodney-watson-1.3682691

Holy gently caress if there ever was a stratum of idiot morons we don't need in this loving country it's the loving cowards who can't even summon the testicals to fulfill their glorious duty. Good job Jenny Kwan! You do good work!!!

Hmm, the difference in policy between Vietnam and now couldn't have anything to do with the difference between a conscripted army and a fully volunteer army. I'm sure it's just that we've become big meanies.

If you sign up for military service of your own free will, you don't get to pick which wars you fight. Why in gently caress's name did you sign up for the military if you weren't willing to follow orders and go to war when you're told?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Hmm, the difference in policy between Vietnam and now couldn't have anything to do with the difference between a conscripted army and a fully volunteer army. I'm sure it's just that we've become big meanies.

If you sign up for military service of your own free will, you don't get to pick which wars you fight. Why in gently caress's name did you sign up for the military if you weren't willing to follow orders and go to war when you're told?

I believe most Iraq War conscientious objectors are veterans who deployed once, saw what horrible things were being done in Iraq in America's name, and refused to deploy a second time.

Kind of like if a member of the CF's Airborne Regiment refused to go on another deployment after Somalia.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 17, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

move to langford, you'll fit right in

I'd move to Sooke. Then I would either become the lovable eccentric or the prime suspect in disappearing UVic co-eds, my file photo taken with a beard made of bees.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Joining the military and complaining about being sent to war is like being a fire fighter and complaining about having to go into burning buildings.

We all know it sucks, but it's literally what you signed up for.

Also, as an aside, reinstate the draft so the west can get over this fetish for foreign adventures.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't reinstate the draft, but tie service to full rights or something. It worked fine in Starship Troopers!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Joining the military and complaining about being sent to war is like being a fire fighter and complaining about having to go into burning buildings.

We all know it sucks, but it's literally what you signed up for.

But I want to shoot guns and fly planes for four years at no risk or cost to me!

What the gently caress did these soldiers think they were signing up for when they enlisted?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Pixelante posted:

Sometimes BA Johnston plays Logans. That's always fun.

the man is a national treasure

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

But I want to shoot guns and fly planes for four years at no risk or cost to me!

What the gently caress did these soldiers think they were signing up for when they enlisted?

One weekend a month, two weeks a year in exchange for a college education. Not for the US to embark on a war of aggression.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

vyelkin posted:

I believe most Iraq War conscientious objectors are veterans who deployed once, saw what horrible things were being done in Iraq in America's name, and refused to deploy a second time.

Kind of like if a member of the CF's Airborne Regiment refused to go on another deployment after Somalia.

Except cf airborne members enjoyed it so much they kept signing up

Sympathy for tactical jarheads lol. gently caress em

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Meat Recital posted:

One weekend a month, two weeks a year in exchange for a college education. Not for the US to embark on a war of aggression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3kiRYcDAo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
These guys are doing it all wrong anyway. You gotta claim PTSD. Tell your chaplain you have nightmares and can't keep your trigger finger still anymore

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

Yeah some people deployed to Iraq were people who joined the National Guard before 9/11 even happened. You can say "hey, they signed up, they knew there was the possibility this would happen" but a) that requires a lot of knowledge of future events from people who were often signing up as teenagers because it was the only way they could afford college thanks to the abysmal state of poverty/social mobility/tuition in the United States; b) ignores the fact that joining the reserves in peacetime shouldn't necessarily be treated as irrevocable consent for your country to invade another country on false pretenses; and c) National Guard recruiting material at the time emphasized the Guard's domestic responsibilities, like disaster relief, rather than the potential to be deployed overseas, and I would hazard a guess that a lot of people joining the Guard were not necessarily even aware they could be deployed overseas, since after all that's what the regular army is for and that's not what they joined.

I have sympathy for conscientious objectors who are veterans who didn't want to deploy again out of moral considerations, or for National Guard members who didn't want to deploy in the first place. I have less sympathy for people who signed up after 9/11 or after March 2003 only to find that killing Arabs wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I would pay to be the guy writing these tickets.

quote:

Queen’s Park will not stand in the way of the city of Toronto making it illegal to text while walking.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said Friday the city does not need permission from the province to pass a municipal bylaw banning texting while walking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ikantski posted:

He's gonna get called so many things, you'll learn a whole new set of pejorative words.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

I feel like a ticket for texting while walking would be very easy to challenge in court.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I still think that texting while crossing the street is a bad idea but if this actually extends to simply texting while walking then holy poo poo that's retarded. This certainly can't be the case, that's just too absurd.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Is it??

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Every news story reports it as being a ban on texting while crossing the street. The specific wording that was proposed was prohibiting the use of wireless devices on "“any traveled portion of a roadway.” I assume that excludes sidewalks but maybe one of your urban policy wonks has a more nuanced understanding of what constitutes a roadway.

It seems like a pretty typical example of a certain kind of busy-body who views politics as an opportunity to intervene in and regulate the minutia of other people's everyday lives. These kinds of people thrive in municipal government and are a slightly more evolved version of that annoying neighbor or condo board member that many of us have encountered.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Le story https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/07/15/province-says-toronto-can-ban-texting-while-walking.html

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Every news story reports it as being a ban on texting while crossing the street. The specific wording that was proposed was prohibiting the use of wireless devices on "“any traveled portion of a roadway.” I assume that excludes sidewalks but maybe one of your urban policy wonks has a more nuanced understanding of what constitutes a roadway.

It seems like a pretty typical example of a certain kind of busy-body who views politics as an opportunity to intervene in and regulate the minutia of other people's everyday lives. These kinds of people thrive in municipal government and are a slightly more evolved version of that annoying neighbor or condo board member that many of us have encountered.

According to Ontario law (the Highway Traffic Act) a roadway is "the part of the highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, but does not include the shoulder, and, where a highway includes two or more separate roadways, the term “roadway” refers to any one roadway separately and not to all of the roadways collectively", while a highway "includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof". I don't know if Toronto has its own definition but it seems to me that the legal definition of roadway does not include sidewalks because "highway" and therefore "roadway" refers specifically to vehicle thoroughfares.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Helsing posted:

See also: Health and Safety.

OTOH it's fun to watch these types melt down when you explain that while their latest hobby horse is a possibility, its probability of occurring is once between now and the heat death of the universe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how the article clearly says that less than a fifth of pedestrian injuries/fatalities involved the pedestrian being distracted and there are no estimates as to how many of those incidents involved a cellphone, let alone the very specific case of someone looking down to text while crossing the street.

What a waste of time and effort.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

eXXon posted:

I like how the article clearly says that less than a fifth of pedestrian injuries/fatalities involved the pedestrian being distracted and there are no estimates as to how many of those incidents involved a cellphone, let alone the very specific case of someone looking down to text while crossing the street.

What a waste of time and effort.

"Stop the War on the Car!"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I want pedestrians to flee my jacked up f150 like it's the running of the bulls as I drive to revenue Canada to open my ei claim

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Scaramouche posted:

Bah gawd, that's Rob Anders's music!

I grew up his riding. It was a rough childhood.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I hate slow walkers and people texting while walking usually walk slower, therefore I am ok with this.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yeah some people deployed to Iraq were people who joined the National Guard before 9/11 even happened. You can say "hey, they signed up, they knew there was the possibility this would happen" but a) that requires a lot of knowledge of future events from people who were often signing up as teenagers because it was the only way they could afford college thanks to the abysmal state of poverty/social mobility/tuition in the United States; b) ignores the fact that joining the reserves in peacetime shouldn't necessarily be treated as irrevocable consent for your country to invade another country on false pretenses; and c) National Guard recruiting material at the time emphasized the Guard's domestic responsibilities, like disaster relief, rather than the potential to be deployed overseas, and I would hazard a guess that a lot of people joining the Guard were not necessarily even aware they could be deployed overseas, since after all that's what the regular army is for and that's not what they joined.

I have sympathy for conscientious objectors who are veterans who didn't want to deploy again out of moral considerations, or for National Guard members who didn't want to deploy in the first place. I have less sympathy for people who signed up after 9/11 or after March 2003 only to find that killing Arabs wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be.

Not knowing you could be deployed is effectively signing up a contract without reading it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey guys I signed up for some poo poo and now I don't wanna do this poo poo anymore so can y'all give me citizenship and not deport me? thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Well, I doubt most people knew they'd be deployed for something as counterproductive and idiotic as the second gulf war.